Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2012, 00:23   #181
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

I got this by post today. Glove boxes...also for the driver side. A bid ad-hoc though - they sit in the front dash space. People with audio speakers there are out of luck
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-img.jpg  

Old 12th August 2012, 01:58   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee

After having driven the Nano for four days in day and night, on lighted roads and dark roads, in rains and in dry spells, I can safely say the reflections are a big pain in the eye. The dash, specially the centre console tapers upwards, and so you get the entire dash reflected in the windscreen. The reflection covers about 1/3rd of the windscreen, effectively causing a visibility problem. The issue is magnified when you are driving on streets with working lights. On dark streets the issue may not be much.

For those who have beige dashboards, I suggest fitting some dark coloured dash cover.
Strange, because I'd not even noticed any reflection!

About the glove box, wonder if it comes in beige.

Last edited by Athani : 12th August 2012 at 02:01.
Old 15th August 2012, 18:21   #183
BHPian

See the review of Tata Nano by Jay Leno.

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-lenogreetsnano.jpg
dhawald3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 15:18   #184
jp1
BHPian

I took delivery of a Nano Lx sunshie yellow, a week ago. It is our 2nd vehilce and to mainly to be used for city runabouts.

Initial observations

- The car is quite spacious, It really surprised me with the amount of space. Even when the driver seat is pushed back completely, still there is ample space for the rear seat passenger. I would say it is more than our Bolero.
- The acceleration is good
- I had little difficulty in getting used to the clutch due to my experience driving a Bolero, but to my surprise my wife find it much more comortable than me.
- A/c effect is really good
- In cabin noise on acceleration is more than my Bolero when you drive with all windows rolled up. But when you stop the car it is so quiet, I couldnt even make out whether the engine was running or not.

Overall I am quite satisfied with this brillian cute car from Tata.

Also had a pleasant overall experience with the dealer Prerana Motors, Lalbagh. Right from initial test drive till delivery, the entire process was smooth. It took 4 days from booking to delivery. My sincere thanks to the forum members who recommended Prerana to me when I was asking to recommend a dealer. That post itself got deleted, I am not able to recollect the names of the members who recommended me Prerana, thanks guys.

On road price was 2.22 lks after discounts. Discounts and goodies included a 10k + exchange bonus of around 18k + corp. discount 4k + door mats and mud flaps + 5 ltr petrol voucher + gold coin (yet to receive)

Last edited by jp1 : 16th August 2012 at 15:20.
Old 16th August 2012, 15:34   #185
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to by a Tata Nano CX, the sales man told me that CX does'nt has heater (which is obviously correct), but in the Tata Nano brochure it is mentioned that the Heating function is optional and can be fitted. But, when I asked the same to showroom guy he said that it can'nt be fitted and he confirmed the same with his manager, Now, I am P****d-off, why they have mentioned it in brochure then. Should I complain at Customer care, because I really want Heating function and at the same time can't go for LX version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I took delivery of a Nano Lx sunshie yellow, a week ago. It is our 2nd vehilce and to mainly to be used for city runabouts.

On road price was 2.22 lks after discounts. Discounts and goodies included a 10k + exchange bonus of around 18k + corp. discount 4k + door mats and mud flaps + 5 ltr petrol voucher + gold coin (yet to receive)
I am getting Nano CX for 1.45 Lakhs without any free accessories on replacing my current bike. The bonuses are as follows:
1) Bike value : 40,000
2) 2 wheeler exchange bonus : 15K + 5K

Total: 60,000 INR

Cost of car: 2,08,000 - 60000 = 1,48,000 INR.

Is it a good price or I should ask for free accessories too like you have.

Last edited by mercedised : 16th August 2012 at 15:41.
Old 16th August 2012, 18:05   #186
jp1
BHPian

Looks like you are getting a good deal, ask them to throw in some freebies, no harm in asking. Mine was a 12 yr old kinetic which they gave me 3k + 15k exchange bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I am looking to by a Tata Nano CX, the sales man told me that CX does'nt has heater (which is obviously correct), but in the Tata Nano brochure it is mentioned that the Heating function is optional and can be fitted. But, when I asked the same to showroom guy he said that it can'nt be fitted and he confirmed the same with his manager, Now, I am P****d-off, why they have mentioned it in brochure then. Should I complain at Customer care, because I really want Heating function and at the same time can't go for LX version.

I am getting Nano CX for 1.45 Lakhs without any free accessories on replacing my current bike. The bonuses are as follows:
1) Bike value : 40,000
2) 2 wheeler exchange bonus : 15K + 5K

Total: 60,000 INR

Cost of car: 2,08,000 - 60000 = 1,48,000 INR.

jp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 19:25   #187
BHPian

Dear All

Please may I remind you how the mini cars of the past - Citroen 2CV, Fiat 500 etc - tended to "grow up" year by year, and thereby lose their identity as a basic car tending to the core needs of users, for which they had been designed ?

The 2CV, for example, was intended for French farmers. One key spec was that it should be able to carry a basket of eggs over a ploughed field without any of the eggs breaking. It achieved this spec.

However, year by year, more and more was added to the car, until it became close to the "proper" cars, but was never quite a "proper" car. At the same time, it put on weight, got more expensive, and eventually lost its original "core" identity.

Eventually, the 2CV died.

Is the Nano going down the same path ?

Yes, maybe the slogan "cheapest car on earth" had a bad connotation. Yes, maybe the marketing was wrong.

But...............Mr Ratan Tata had a core objective - getting Indian families to stop riding 4-5 on a bike or a scooter, very dangerously, and instead giving Indian families a much safer vehicle, at not much more cost. There is a clear parallel to the 2CV being a car for the French farmer, to replace a horse-cart.

Asking for the Nano to have more and more features is equivalent to pushing it away from its original core proposition, and into competing with the "proper" cars of the competitors.

IMHO - this is a route to disaster for the nano. I pray that this does not happen.
Old 16th August 2012, 19:41   #188
BHPian

See this hatchback comparison by overdrive mag, it rates nano above all cars in ingress and egress test, and is ranked 5th in comparison for comfort which is above cars like figo, swift, polo, beat, wagon R and punto!

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-image1.jpg
Old 17th August 2012, 16:33   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

We did a Madurai - Munnar - Madurai run (~350 km) accompanying a Nano and I was amazed at the poise and ease at which it handled both the 4 lane highway parts and the hill climbs. The AC chilled better than my Cruze too :-)

Only issues came about when starting off on a steep incline (needs some clutch-slipping) and while climbing down from Munnar (was driven in a higher gear than ideal) resulting in a smell of frying brakes. Easily corrected by stopping for 15 minutes and subsequently ensuring a lower gear (2nd mostly).

Amazing vehicle!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 09:10   #190
BHPian

Just for fun see the drifting capabilities of TATA Nano!

dhawald3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 09:24   #191
BHPian

The amazing off-road capability of Nano!
Nano has ground clearance of 180mm which is = what you get in M&M Scorpio!
Add to it the rear driven wheels have more weight due to rear engine hence giving better traction to the wheels.

dhawald3 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 14:02   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
If you buying a Nano for its qualities don't look at what you can negotiate out of the dealer. Decide on the Nano based on its features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post
The amazing off-road capability of Nano!
Nano has ground clearance of 180mm which is = what you get in M&M Scorpio!
Add to it the rear driven wheels have more weight due to rear engine hence giving better traction to the wheels.
I would love to hear that, but the Nano is NOT an off-roader. Though it's a rear wheel drive car, it does little to help you when your front wheels are spinning in the mud. I had a first hand experience of this a few days ago at night on the Mumbra bypass. The traffic jam was huge, and rather than wait in the line of trucks for an unknown amount of time I decided to cross over to the oncoming lane and drive on - the oncoming lane was virtually empty. The section dividing the two lanes had some firm ground and some soil/water/mud combination with deep ruts made by trucks crossing over. I checked the ground with my feet to ensure it would support the Nano and then took the plunge. The nano would have easily fit into the gap between the two roads. Fortunately it didn't. I put three wheels off the road into the soil and realized too late I had chosen the wrong track. Instead of treading on firmer ground the car tilted to a side and I realized it had got stuck in mud. No amount of maneuvering could get me out. The front wheels had no traction and upon heavy acceleration the car simply kept moving its rear end left and right, pivoting around the front wheels. Finally with just one wheel on the concrete road and some imaginative steering corrections I managed to back it off enough to get the second rear wheel onto the concrete behind. With that I reversed back onto the road, and then very carefully, along with assistance from two other truck drivers who had become bored and joined the Nano cross-over, managed to put the front wheels onto solid ground and then cross over.

The intention is to not give any false pictures on the Nano's capabilities. Yes, it's got a high GC, yes, it's a rear wheel drive, but NO, it's not an off-roader. It will get stuck in mud and slush (or sand) just like any other 4x2 vehicle, if not driven with due caution.

dhawal, the video does underline the sliding capabilities of the Nano (after all it's a RWD), but it also shows some recklessness. The guy standing at the centre with the Nano driving circles around it is in a dangerous situation. In the other video too the road seems to be tractable for any 4x2 vehicle being driven carefully. Not to undermine the Nano's capabilities, but we shouldn't go overboard and attempt something that it's not capable of doing and put man and machine at risk.

Last edited by honeybee : 18th August 2012 at 14:09.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 19:50   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
. Instead of treading on firmer ground the car tilted to a side and I realized it had got stuck in mud. No amount of maneuvering could get me out. The front wheels had no traction and upon heavy acceleration the car simply kept moving its rear end left and right.
Ok I accept my wrong choice of words, could we rephrase it as best hatchback for rough roads?

A patch full of mud would not qualify as rough road as it will not give sufficient traction even for a proper 4wD, at least 1 wheel should be on solid ground to pull it out.

see this video

we can definitely say that Nano can navigate these roads better than other hatchbacks

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-578801_10151017848902010_315785679_n.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-terribleroadbengal_3june3.jpg
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-whoneeds4x4onthisterrain1024x768.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-terribleroadbengal_3june3.jpg  

Old 19th August 2012, 09:34   #194
BHPian

What many people are saying that Nano's sheet metal is thinner compared to other cars like Alto , Eon.

Is this true?? if yes does it affect the safety of the car?
Old 19th August 2012, 09:45   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post
What many people are saying that Nano's sheet metal is thinner compared to other cars like Alto , Eon.

Is this true?? if yes does it affect the safety of the car?
If the sheet metal is thinner, you are prone to more dings and dents and not really helpful in safety as such. in the unlkely event of a colision, the body shell protects you. Another issues with Older gen Nanos is that the front wheels are smaller than rear wheels and the spare is a smaller wheel. In a puncture, your car will be off balance.

If you are looking for a safer car, I would really suggest you to buy the EON with ABS and airbags. Eon come with more safety features than a Nano

Last edited by scopriobharath : 19th August 2012 at 09:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks