Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 20:59   #721
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano 30000 Kms service estimate at Rs.3600!!!

When I saw the title, I thought it was within acceptable norms for a 30k service, until I read your view of it.

Oil change? Are they replacing anything? Can you pl. share the estimate details - work / parts break-up so that everyone can understand it better?

Last edited by null : 22nd January 2014 at 20:59. Reason: typo
Old 22nd January 2014, 21:35   #722
Senior - BHPian

a few more things are supposed to be replaced in the nano at 30K as per the schedule - Air filter, HVAC filter, and headlamp refocussing.
and 30K is not a free service either.

and TASC's tend to give worst case estimates. But 3.6k seems okayish to me. Perils of buying more car per car, is that there is more of it to replace :P

Last edited by greenhorn : 22nd January 2014 at 21:37.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 21:58   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to points by Greenhorn.

@Cuatro, Did you check your owner's manual and compare the list of checks / work for the 20k & 30k servicing ?

remember, it always helps to check the manual for work to be done at a particular service, before going for the service. This way you will know if SA is adding any extra items, - or missing any to-be-done items
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:23   #724
Senior - BHPian

There would be wear and tear, parts to replace at 30k etc. Also, your service advisor would have told you what all would be done.

OT, you would have dropped dead if Nano was made by VW/Skoda or so :P How many Polo/Fabia/Swift taxis do you see daily?

For your reference:
http://www.cardekho.com/tata-nano/service-cost.htm

30k service split ( might be old)
Normal Engine Oil649
Oil Filter85
Air Filter175
Fuel Filter130
spark plug280
service charge750
Total2,069
jkdas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:44   #725
BHPian

It would be unreasonable to expect every service to cost the same as only the same jobs would not be done at every service. Different parts have different replacement schedules depending on their wear and tear.

The estimate sounds reasonable considering how much as service at a similar mark for other cars would cost. Though in percentage terms the number is huge, in absolute terms Rs. 2k more is so bad. My little Yamaha costs over Rs. 1k per service (Semi-synth oil: 500 + basic labour: 450 + extra labour for other jobs).

EDIT: An AMC for the Nano is great value and helps avoid big surprises like this. I recommend is entirely.

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 22nd January 2014 at 22:49.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:49   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatro View Post
I had to rant about it somewhere and what other place is better than TBHP. Please let me know if other TBhpians have faced similar situations.
3600/- was an estimate, right? If so, what was the actual bill amount? Or haven't you taken delivery of the car after servicing yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
There would be wear and tear, parts to replace at 30k etc. Also, your service advisor would have told you what all would be done.
Apart from what jkdas has written in his post, http://customercare.tatamotors.com/manual/nano-OMSB.pdf says the HVAC filter needs to be replaced too. Plus, wheel alignment and balancing every 10k kms. Plus, taxes. So, 3600/- as an estimate doesn't seem THAT far fetched. Anyway, please do post the actual bill amount with break up once you get it.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:54   #727
BHPian

As already mentioned, it is just an estimate that they've given you. I'd suggest that you wait for the final service/maintenance cost and then match it with your service manual. SA guys usually and deliberately quote a higher estimate to earn some 'brownie' points when the total bill < the estimate.
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:59   #728
BHPian

Being a Nano owner, I feel 3.6 k is a tad higher than what it must be. Maintenance costs are really low for a Nano. Please cross check the works required in the Service Manual and the job card given by your A. S. S. They might have mentioned works that actually aren't required (always happens with M. A. S. S for me). An AMC would have saved you from all these worries actually. They work out to be dirt cheap actually. Even though I think it cannot be bought right now, do give it a try!

Cheers!
freakmuzik is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 23:18   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Being a Nano owner, I feel 3.6 k is a tad higher than what it must be. Maintenance costs are really low for a Nano.
What is the cost of 30,000 miles service for a Maruti Alto/Hyundai i10 in Hyderabad? That will give a clear picture. Also those who are worried about maintenance costs should always go with AMC. At current price levels, an AMC is worth its money.
Old 22nd January 2014, 23:29   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

30k service split ( might be old)
Normal Engine Oil649
Oil Filter85
Air Filter175
Fuel Filter130
spark plug280
service charge750
Total2,069

You are spot on JKDAS! This is eactly the list of things that was supposed to be done in the service and pretty much what the service advisor had listed. However the rough quotation for this service was 3,600 not in the range of 2000. This is what surprised me.

I did not get the service done there as I wasn't sure about the final cost. I always believe that any estimate would end up zooming when the final bill arrives. For now I got the service done by my trusted (Non-Tata) mechanic whom I know since 12 years. I saved more than 1000 bucks for a similar service that's required for 30 K kms.
This is one of the few times when I got my car serviced outside the company A.S.S. I am sure I couldn't have gone wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Apart from what jkdas has written in his post, [URL
http://customercare.tatamotors.com/manual/nano-OMSB.pdf[/url] says the HVAC filter needs to be replaced too.
Cheers,
Vikram

HVAC replacement wasn't part of the service list.

Also, wheel alignment and balancing should not cost more than 500 in any standard wheel centre.

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the Multi-Quote feature (link)to reply to multiple posts, instead of submitting back to back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 23rd January 2014 at 08:56. Reason: Posts merged
Old 23rd January 2014, 10:18   #731
BANNED

I think you should write this on the Tata Nano page on facebook or twitter. They have been replying and solving issues quickly. My friend was facing an issue too, he wrote about it on facebook and Tata customer care contacted him. His issue was solved so you could try that. Hope it works for you too.
Happy Motoring
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:52   #732
BHPian

Thanks to all the people that answered here. I will take the suggestions and precautions in the next service.
Thanks all!
Old 3rd February 2014, 09:18   #733
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

TATA Nano TWIST ACTIVE ...New Variant!

Quote:
Tata Motors will showcase two new variants of the Tata Nano at the Auto Expo 2014. The Tata Nano Twist Active will essentially be the power-steered Nano with a tail gate that opens.
Tata Nano variants with automatic transmission and an opening tailgate to be displayed at the Auto Expo 2014.
Quote:
The surprise however is the Tata Nano AMT or the automatic variant, which could be cheapest automatic transmission car in the world when it goes on sale in 2015
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-371153.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd February 2014 at 09:19.
Old 21st May 2014, 16:43   #734
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I was planning of buying a Tata Nano Twist. I took a test drive a few days back and all went fine. Haggled for discounts and got some too! I also paid a token advance of 2,500 rupees to the dealer towards booking the car. The dealer said that it should be delivered by Friday.

One thing that I did not notice at that time was the Ex Showroom price. The dealer quoted this as 249,304. However as per Tata website (and confirmed via phone from their customer representative) the Ex showroom price is 241,304. When I enquired the same with the dealer, he acted as if he was unaware of this and said he would call back. Today he calls back and says that the 8,000 difference is towards Logistics and Handling charges.

Quite frankly I find this absurd. I request all BHPians to please comment on this, if this is an accepted practice or if there is any way around this.

Thanks
rsqaured
Old 21st May 2014, 16:59   #735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared View Post
H Today he calls back and says that the 8,000 difference is towards Logistics and Handling charges.

Quite frankly I find this absurd. I request all BHPians to please comment on this, if this is an accepted practice or if there is any way around this.

Thanks
rsqaured
I think that is the practice in the industry. For which location did you check the ex-showroom prices? For places closer to the plant manufacturing a particular car, the prices ought to be lower. For eg. no wonder that Maruti Suzuki vehicles are cheaper in Delhi since their manufacturing facilities are near the NCR and nearby states.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks