Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2014, 11:18   #751
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Does anyone just call a customer to tell the IC's have gone, confirm it 3 times when the customer expresses shock and then change their stance after the customer asks for a written assurance?

IMO If anyone hears how it played out, it'd clearly raise the suspicion. Coincidentally I remembered what WorkingGuru mentioned in post #745 here in the second half of the last paragraph. Thats what made me feel that it really could be a possible attempt to exchange parts of an unaware customers car.

Edit :
I had no concerns with the clutch. Actually I wouldn't even realise if he just washed the car & sent it back. There were no concerns with the working. That 'jerk' issue was just said once in the afternoon. When he called for the wipers in the evening, again he confirmed it just needs normal regular service (with just oil change & filters change and WA/WB) and there were no other concerns.

His phone wasn't reachable after 8:30pm, I'll speak to him again tomorrow. One part of me tells, (although it really doesn't seem so, still) let's see tomorrow when the car is delivered, who knows may even be hes' tried something in good faith. *Fingers Crossed*.
Since your car is already four years old, I feel its better you stop worrying about ASC and use a nearby garage for servicing the car. Moreover on a recent trip with my uncle to get his nano serviced at Concorde, I got the feeling that all the workers there are very much used to diesel engine tech compared to working with petrol due to the meagre number of petrol cars tata have sold till date. The SA didnt have an idea of how many spark plugs were there and the recommended replacement interval. Hence, no point in trusting them to get your niggles sorted out. Neighbourhood garages, if reputed can do this job even without you indicating the niggles.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 13:58   #752
BHPian

TATA definitely will change the Nano clutch under warranty if needed. I mean, ordinary warranty, nothing like extended warranty or anything.

I hope that you will escalate this matter.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 14:37   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...His phone wasn't reachable after 8:30pm, I'll speak to him again tomorrow. One part of me tells, (although it really doesn't seem so, still) let's see tomorrow when the car is delivered, who knows may even be hes' tried something in good faith. *Fingers Crossed*.
Update : Car was sent by noon. Also had a word with the SA.

Ignition coils supposedly had no issues. It was a communication gap. Its extremely rare for IC's to fail, especially this early. Even SA admitted to that. (Else, at 17k kms I'd say its like telling a teenager that his lever has failed.) Anyway, it was quite a suspicious miscommunication IMHO.

Also, Surprisingly, Clutch is covered for 4 years (or upto 40,000kms) under warranty. So they've changed the entire clutch kit u/d warranty. The SA changed it on his own accord. It's become like the new Nano clutch - short. I personally preferred the old one. But still, commendable, AFAIK companies don't give warranty for clutch.

2 High tension wires were also changed u/d warranty. Again, it was done by SA's own discretion without any specific complain / request.

AMC : Air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, engine oil, gear oil, brake oil was all supposedly changed. Coolant topped up, WA/WB done & but interior cleaning wasn't done properly.

Billed : 2 spark plugs (~63 + tax each = 123/- + ₹150 labour) (Again, changed by SA on his own accord. But they didn't give the old spark plugs back, dunno how worn out they were) , puncture (150/-).

The Left ORVM was not fitted properly last year (!) and needed to be tightened, wasn't done. Not happy since it rattles & vibrates post 60kmph. SA said next time. Anyway.

They're carrying out replacements without any complain or request. Maybe TaMo needs to look into its internal controls more carefully. Else next time, I'll need to waste 1 day and stay with the car to overlook at what's being done & why. Also, didn't get any service feedback form, wonder why!

Total bill Rs.483/-. + Rs.150/- driver charges. Rs.650/- (But I wasn't given a receipt for the driver charges, yet it's billed as 0 in the service bill.)

Attaching the bill, maybe it'll help people to know/compare spare part prices & service costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Since your car is already four years old, I feel its better you stop worrying about ASC and use a nearby garage for servicing the car....
Cant do that atleast upto next year end. I've paid 4k for AMC (that too 2 times since the first one got lapsed after I missed an AMC service by about a week).

And they're anyway doing all this for free. I got a new clutch, how am I to check as to what the SC does with the old perfectly normal one? Its upto TaMo/TASC to figure out what's happening & why - owners putting across a report here should itself be sufficient for them to take note and make necessary changes.

Quote:
Moreover on a recent trip with my uncle to get his nano serviced at Concorde, I got the feeling that all the workers there are very much used to diesel engine tech compared to working with petrol due to the meagre number of petrol cars tata have sold till date. The SA didnt have an idea of how many spark plugs were there and the recommended replacement interval. Hence, no point in trusting them to get your niggles sorted out. Neighbourhood garages, if reputed can do this job even without you indicating the niggles.
Same here, this time I feel the SA didn't realise the gravity of his claim to change ignition coils. Only when I expressed shock & disbelief he took it seriously.

Also dunno why he's changed the spark plugs. I'd have upgraded to Iridium spark plugs if it needed to be changed.

Wiper motor was overtly fast on stage 2, but he didn't do anything about that.

Overall IMO, it all points out to sheer incompetence. Also don't know why he didn't send the service feedback form. How'll TaMo come up with such people at TASC. Will any Nano owner upgrade to another TATA after seeing all this?

1 doubt, Brakes were very hard post service, and SA says it'll soften over time. Is he right? I feel he hasn't bled the brakes properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
TATA definitely will change the Nano clutch under warranty if needed. I mean, ordinary warranty, nothing like extended warranty or anything.
That's commendable, I don't think any company changes clutch on warranty. Everyone's saying they'll replace u/d warranty - correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I need to see the user manual again. But I'm quite sure they didn't do so before.
Quote:
I hope that you will escalate this matter.
I escalated it, but then let it go after SA said it was a miscommunication.

Pics :
Pg 1
(They've got my phone number wrong. Maybe thats why I'm never getting a service feedback call.)
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-photo-5.jpg

Pg 2
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-photo-4.jpg

The Bill where I mentioned I wasn't given the service feedback form :
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-no-service-feedback-form.jpg

Wheel Alignment / Wheel Balancing : If someone understands how its decoded, pls let me know
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-photo-.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-image.jpg  

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 24th June 2014 at 15:06. Reason: Added reply & pics
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 14:01   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Update : Car was sent by noon...
Just as I suspected, the SA seems to have carried out un-necessary replacements irrespective of complaints. This is the very reason whenever I go for service (Any ASC), I always specifically instruct them to seek confirmation before any replacements.

HT cables, spark plugs & clutch kit has been changed without any complain. Absurd man, find out for what exactly was all this done!

The things you seem to have actually asked for haven't been done! Left ORVM refitting & Wiper motor should've been repaired/replaced under warranty, both haven't been done. You also mentioned the interiors haven't been cleaned. I can only wonder WHY you accepted such work?

Also, since he's changed the cars filters, fluids, spark plugs - I'm sure there must be a good difference (IMO The engine note should be abit more refined, power delivery should be abit more linear etc). Given the way the events have played out for you, if that's not the case, I'm afraid you really should recheck if anything has actually even been done at all! (Especially since you mentioned that they haven't returned the old spark plugs. Also, (Q) Parts changed u/d warranty aren't returned, but do they return old parts u/d AMC?)

I strongly suspect this service center could be either switching parts to sell them separately or to send it to the used car division. Good thing you raised an alarm when it came to ignition coils.

Anyway, glad I visited this thread before booking my Nano Twist. Atleast for me this seems to show how TASC works and explains why people say TATA A.S.S. has a mind of its own! Will deal with TASC's accordingly.
Old 25th June 2014, 19:51   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
...This is the very reason whenever I go for service (Any ASC), I always specifically instruct them to seek confirmation before any replacements.
I did the same thing. I mentioned this in the form when sending the vehicle.

Quote:
HT cables, spark plugs & clutch kit has been changed without any complain. Absurd man, find out for what exactly was all this done!

The things you seem to have actually asked for haven't been done! Left ORVM refitting & Wiper motor should've been repaired/replaced under warranty, both haven't been done. You also mentioned the interiors haven't been cleaned. I can only wonder WHY you accepted such work?
Someone supposedly from TaMo called today, enquired about the service experience, but briefly ended the call saying they'll enquire with the service center and get back. No replies yet. No signs of feedback forms too. I've also got no reply to my mail to customer care, just a twitter response from the Nano Account. Not very happy about the lack of support a standard Nano would get, but anyway lets see.

Not extremely worried because (a) The car doesn't have any serious issues anyway. AND (b) I know someone in the management, and can escalate if something goes seriously wrong.

Quote:
...Also, since he's changed the cars filters, fluids, spark plugs - I'm sure there must be a good difference (IMO The engine note should be abit more refined, power delivery should be abit more linear etc)...
No! Infact previously, every time I used to send the car, there was a pronounced difference in the responsiveness and lower end grunt, but somehow this time it's not so. The change in clutch is the only difference.

Quote:
...Given the way the events have played out for you, if that's not the case, I'm afraid you really should recheck if anything has actually even been done at all! (Especially since you mentioned that they haven't returned the old spark plugs. Also, (Q) Parts changed u/d warranty aren't returned, but do they return old parts u/d AMC?)...
Maybe I'll wait & see if I get any response from the customer care. Honestly, I'm not planning to take this up seriously unless I face any major issues.

Quote:
...I strongly suspect this service center could be either switching parts to sell them separately or to send it to the used car division. Good thing you raised an alarm when it came to ignition coils.
As long as I don't face any major issues, I've no gain to suspect them.

I only got serious because the SA said ignition coils had gone kaput. AFAIK (how-much-ever little) that this would've indicated that the engine & drive train in Nano was not engineered well. Something that would contradict n number of arguments I've made in auto forums about how its an excellently engineered car.

Thanks for the concern & advice!

Quote:
...Anyway, glad I visited this thread before booking my Nano Twist. Atleast for me this seems to show how TASC works and explains why people say TATA A.S.S. has a mind of its own! Will deal with TASC's accordingly.
IMO all I needed to do was stay with the car while servicing (lol the same as you said earlier).

All the best for your purchase & ownership!

Edit : Just got a clarification call from the SA.

He said the clutch was worn out & would've needed to be changed soon.

The change in HT cables & spark plugs was attributed to the jerking issue. He also said that the claim by one Mr.Jagannath on the jerking issue to be present in all Nano's of August 2010 batch was unacceptable.

He admitted that the old Nano's had an issue with the clutch wearing out fast, hence there is a warranty for them till 4yrs/45,000kms. (I mentioned that my Nano's clutch was changed under goodwill at 6000 kms after much persuasion since I was told that clutch wasn't covered u/d warranty.)

I'm closing the issue. Can't be bothered with small issues like wiper/mirror etc.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 25th June 2014 at 20:21.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 22:59   #756
BHPian

I'm looking at buying a Nano for my wife as a replacement for her Scooty as our family is growing and it's not really safe to drive a 2 wheeler with two kids in tow. As it's going to be a second car, am looking at getting the maximum VFM. Tata Nano CX from 2013 is available for a 45k discount and am tempted to buy that; but am in double mind if I should buy one lying on dealer stockyard for 1.5 years! I'm planning to do a PDI at their stockyard on Monday and will walk away if any red flags come up. They only have white color in stock (SA said about 4 cars). Anything that I should be particulary worried when I do a PDI for Nano CX?

Regarding discounts I got after bargaining, it's as follows.
Exshowroom - 2,05, xxx
RTO - 12,xxx
Insurance - 83xx

I said no to handling charges and got Gold AMC as free (interesting that he said 2 years, but googled now and found out that Gold AMC is for 3 years). Not sure if he's discounting 1 year worth of AMC as it's almost a 1.5 year old stock lying idle at their yard!!!

Should I stick my head out and bargain for more? SA said it's a June 2013 make, will verify it with VIN.

On Insurance, I looked at online costs and it's almost 50% cheap. I told him I will get insurance myself.

So, Ex-showroom + RTO; I got an on-road quote for 1,72,500/ + Gold AMC for 2013 Tata Nano CX.

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions on this. Or should I look at Nano Twist for which about 50k discount is available; but my budget will get pushed by about 40k plus
Old 16th November 2014, 06:45   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83 View Post
Looking forward to your valuable suggestions on this. Or should I look at Nano Twist for which about 50k discount is available; but my budget will get pushed by about 40k plus
I think the stretch in the budget would be worth it, for the following reasons:
- Tata keeps improving over the previous version. I mean they get it right after they go wrong in the previous versions
- There seem to be some significant improvements like Power steering, extra BHP, and low NVH etc

But you made some good research to get Insurance at lower costs. That's a good piece of Info! Thanks!!
Old 16th November 2014, 08:20   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking at buying a Nano for my wife as a replacement for her Scooty as our family is growing and it's not really safe
Good thought that, going for a Nano. Few things, you Wife is moving up from a gearless Scooter to a geared four wheeler, now that you have another car in the house and if she drives that too, then no problem at all, but if she does not know how to drive, then you are better off waiting for an AMT

Tata are introducing two new models on the Nano, they are getting a lower variant with power steering, that should give you a new car and not be 40K heavier on your pocket

I was looking at the 4x4 thread, there members are spending close to 40K to get a power steering set up on their Mahindra Jeeps. Keeping that in perspective, 40,000 extra for a Nano Twist is justified. Also, look at the joy in the posts of those Members that bought the Nano Twist, its looks like the power steering is worth every penny

If you are still going for the while 1.5 year old Nano, then tell the Dealer that you will be paying him what a 1.5 year old Nano costs in the used car market. Do some research on OLX and you will get to know how much it sells for in the used car market

Last edited by TheARUN : 16th November 2014 at 08:22. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 16th November 2014, 08:31   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking at buying a Nano for my wife as a replacement for her Scooty as our family is growing and it's not really safe to drive a 2 wheeler with two kids in tow. As it's going to be a second car, am looking at getting the maximum VFM. Tata Nano CX from 2013 is available for a 45k discount and am tempted to buy that; but am in double mind if I should buy one lying on dealer stockyard for 1.5 years! I'm planning to do a PDI at their stockyard on Monday and will walk away if any red flags come up. They only have white color in stock (SA said about 4 cars). Anything that I should be particulary worried when I do a PDI for Nano CX?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatro View Post
I think the stretch in the budget would be worth it, for the following reasons:
- Tata keeps improving over the previous version. I mean they get it right after they go wrong in the previous versions
- There seem to be some significant improvements like Power steering, extra BHP, and low NVH etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Good thought that, going for a Nano. Few things, you Wife is moving up from a gearless Scooter to a geared four wheeler, now that you have another car in the house and if she drives that too, then no problem at all, but if she does not know how to drive, then you are better off waiting for an AMT

I was looking at the 4x4 thread, there members are spending close to 40K to get a power steering set up on their Mahindra Jeeps. Keeping that in perspective, 40,000 extra for a Nano Twist is justified. Also, look at the joy in the posts of those Members that bought the Nano Twist, its looks like the power steering is worth every penny
Do try and stretch your budget and go for a recently produced car. In 1.5 years at the yard, you are looking at changing all the fluids, tyres and battery. In fact a sparingly used and properly maintained Nano LX should be available much cheaper.

Comparing Nano's steering with that of the antique Mahindras is ridiculous. The Nano doesn't need a power steering. If you can get the Twist, do go for it, but remember that even without the power steering the Nano is very easy to steer.
Old 16th November 2014, 16:13   #760
BHPian

Hi Krishna,

First of all check out the thread "Tata Nano Twist - Driven" by Aditya.

All the three members who have replied to your posts are correct.
However, having been an owner of a 2012 Nano and just having upgraded to a Nano Twist, I can tell you that it is worth stretching your budget by 40K or as "TheArun" suggested waiting for a lower version with power steering.
Let me put it this way. It had become a bore and a pain (my wife suffers from a frozen shoulder) taking out the (old) Nano on the narrow village roads of Goa. With the Twist it is a joy. The power steering is excellent. NVH levels are much reduced as well. Does not sound so much like a rickshaw/Tata Ace - well inside anyway! You get a stereo with CD/Aux/USB +4 speakers and Bluetooth. Front power windows. Two proper(well, almost!) glove compartments. An MID on the dashboard which is much better looking and includes a temperature gauge. Central locking with one remote. Better suspension etc.
I would be wary of going in for the AMT till Tata's have tested it out on a few hundred "guinea pigs" first.
Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 12:44   #761
BHPian

Looks like we Bangalorean's get to see more Nano's on our street http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/45199452.cms

If it does happens will private buyers shy away from even considering this model ?
Old 19th November 2014, 18:12   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visran View Post
Looks like we Bangalorean's get to see more Nano's on our street http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/45199452.cms

If it does happens will private buyers shy away from even considering this model ?
I own a Nano and today was thinking exactly the same thing. But, Do you know what I ordered as the first accessory for my to-be-delivered-tomorrow- Zest? A dust cover! Its because I feel that the Zest is going to see very less action during the working week.

There is no beating the utility of the Nano in the city. I would say, the people who use it will not care about it being a taxi also. Remember, They have already reconciled to the fact that people will think they were cheap/poor to buy the Nano in the first place. So having a Nano Taxi won't reduce their enthusiasm. But that's for those who already own a Nano.

For the new-buyers, if they can see the VFM car that the Twist is, then I personally don't think it will affect their decision. My take.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 19:02   #763
BHPian

I want a Nano Auto transmission in under 2 lakhs. That would be the perfect errands car for me. *Wishful thinking I know.
Old 12th December 2014, 14:24   #764
BHPian

This is perhaps the best news I have heard of the Nano!!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/45489490.cms

This Super Nano makes 230 BHP!! max speed 190 Ks, costs a whopping 25 L's though. Should there be a Formula NANO?
Old 30th December 2014, 11:37   #765
BHPian

Reposting this from another thread on Nano Twist:

Booked a Nano Twist yesterday at Concorde Motors Chennai.

Got a query. The review of the nano(2012) on this thread had two layers of insulation (behind the seat - see pics below). But the one that i saw on the showroom had just a fabric floor mat covering the boot.
http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/Tata...ano2012-23.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/Tata...ano2012-24.jpg

And this boot mat apparently is an added accessory and as per the sales guys the stock car boot floor is exposed metal.

Can some owners of Nano Twist clarify?

Also i wanted to upgrade the following:

- Horn - Something better than what is currently there.
- A powered sub/speaker upgrade. Any suggestions?
- Trying to get a seat cover along with the freebies, but wanted to check if there are any better options available. Like covers with additional cushioning.

Worried if the above will void the warranty. Please advise.

Regarding the PDI, they dont have an option before the registration. Apparently, the car goes from yard to RTO for registration and then it reaches the showroom for delivery. So no option to do it before registration. Keeping fingers crossed.

Most Viewed