Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2015, 15:43   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Posting a bad news for Nano admirers. Tata may withdraw Nano from market if the sales do not improve over the next 24 months. Quite shockingly, the Sanand plant, having a capacity of producing 2.5L units is operating at less than 10% of its annual capacity as just over 21K Nano(s) were manufactured in FY2014, says the news article. Besides, there is a standing inventory of about 10K cars waiting to get into buyer's homes.

Here is an excerpt from the news article:

Quote:
As per sources, Cyrus Mistry, Chairman of Tata Sons, has already given an ultimatum to Tata Motors in this regard.

Mistry has warned that he may be forced to shut down the project if sales do not revive in the next two years, sources said.
Tata Motors have refused to comment on the news.

Link: http://zeenews.india.com/business/au...no_117389.html

Thanks!
Old 31st January 2015, 10:31   #767
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata motors is looking to gear up the Nano with automatic transmission. Though nothing concrete is available, but one can be sure that it will be the same F-Tronic AMT tech found in the much younger sibling and the compact sedan- The Zest. Ultimately, this technology is believed to be shared across a wide range of Tata cars.

This revival attempt comes in wake of poor Nano sales and when TML has reportedly got a strict 2 year deadline from the group charirman Mr. Cyrus Mistry to either put up a better show or to shelve the project. Also, it is interesting to note how much the Nano has become a better and much finished product since its launch in 2009. Probably it is a car now which it should have been from day 1. Unfortunately, not the first time we are associating this phrase to TML for the first time.

Link to news :http://aajtak.intoday.in/story/tata-...-1-797489.html
Old 31st January 2015, 14:44   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Tata motors is looking to gear up the Nano with automatic transmission. Though nothing concrete is available, but one can be sure that it will be the same F-Tronic AMT tech found in the much younger sibling and the compact sedan- The Zest. Ultimately, this technology is believed to be shared across a wide range of Tata cars.

This revival attempt comes in wake of poor Nano sales and when TML has reportedly got a strict 2 year deadline from the group charirman Mr. Cyrus Mistry to either put up a better show or to shelve the project.
They had displayed the openable rear hatched AMT Nano during the auto expo.
I think they meant shutting down the products under the Nano name only. They have a wonderful platform which meets European standards for safety with some modifications, with the space that would keep any body happy. Upping the specs, changing the name, better ad agencies and PR, and launching it as as a new product would be great. I sincerely hope they don't deprive the Indian market a great future small car platform!
Old 31st January 2015, 17:34   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
it is interesting to note how much the Nano has become a better and much finished product since its launch in 2009.
Indeed. The interiors on my 2013 model do not feel low rent anymore, even given the low price point. Not plush, but as adequate as the rest of the car now.
Old 20th April 2015, 15:59   #770
BHPian

^^^^^^^^^^

Please read my post dealing with the same issue:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3201660
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 23:22   #771
Senior - BHPian

On Monday, my (2010) Nano's brake cable snapped on my way to work.

I was close to home. Slowed it gradually with engine braking, coasted to the side of the road & stopped using the handbrake. Was abit caught up with work & called RSA only this morning. IMO once out of warranty, they're useless*.

Anyway, does anyone know a FNG for this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*(or rather "my experience with them was not fruitful", Why? Read below.)

Tata Motors RSA Experience :

Call 1, 9:30am

"Helpline" personnel took 18 minutes to understand this simple thing. (14 year old kid next door understood in under a minute). I had requested her to try & ask the mechanic if it was possible to do this on-site (like how they'd done for my Nano's accelerator cable about a year ago).

11:30am Got call back with a towing guy on conference who offered to tow my Nano to the Service Center for Rs.1,700/-. (lol this is for ~7-8 kms)

Then they offer me a "membership" saying I'll be eligible for RSA anywhere in the country, for any distance, any number of times, all through the next 1 year, for just Rs.1,220/-. Shes like "Can we assume you'll buy the membership", & even confirmed I'd be able to get the car towed tomorrow without charges.

(N.B.: 2 hours, and they hadn't spoken with any mechanic. When requested again they claim "he only is mechanic no sir?" while was the just towing guy.)

*Knowing from my past experiences, I had a doubt that they're simply trying to sell me something unnecessarily. & As I've left for a busy day at work, I guessed I'll call my insurance RSA tomorrow anyway.*

Still, just incase, I asked if this membership's benefit could be used today itself. She's not sure, says she'll call back.

3:50pm Got a call clarifying that membership is for 6 breakdown assistance incidents & 2 towing charges. I dunno how they're different, asked her. No clue - she'll call back in 10 mins.

4:16pm Calls back clarifying Rs.1,220/- is just for membership while towing charges infact will be applicable separately over & above the 1,220/- and will depend on dealership('s mood?)! I asked if it could be purchased at any time, again, didn't know & another call back in 10 mins.

4:20pm Calls back confirming membership can be bought anytime in future.

Point is : This is the kind of support they've kept for emergency services!

If I had agreed to that "Membership" gimmick the first time assuming (as informed over call) it'll cover present towing charges & future contingencies I would have got a rude shock later that the amount effectively includes nothing and I'd have to pay not just as towing charges (@Rs.200/km) this time, but even at other times at whatever prices dealer felt.

Either the people are uninformed OR (more likely) they're just trying to rip-off people at their most vulnerable moments (during possible emergencies).

If that went through, I'd have accused Tata Motors of fleecing me & never considered buying anything from them in future. Infact looking at Tata Motors' low sales figures in those monthly reports, I'd have even been happy.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 9th September 2015 at 23:23.
Old 5th October 2015, 00:57   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
On Monday, my (2010) Nano's brake cable snapped on my way to work.

I was close to home. Slowed it gradually with engine braking, coasted to the side of the road & stopped using the handbrake. Was abit caught up with work & called RSA only this morning. IMO once out of warranty, they're useless*.

Anyway, does anyone know a FNG for this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*(or rather "my experience with them was not fruitful", Why? Read below.)

"Helpline" personnel took 18 minutes to understand this simple thing. (14 year old kid next door understood in under a minute). I had requested her to try & ask the mechanic if it was possible to do this on-site (like how they'd done for my Nano's accelerator cable about a year ago).

11:30am Got call back with a towing guy on conference who offered to tow my Nano to the Service Center for Rs.1,700/-. (lol this is for ~7-8 kms)

Then they offer me a "membership" saying I'll be eligible for RSA anywhere in the country, for any distance, any number of times, all through the next 1 year, for just Rs.1,220/-. Shes like "Can we assume you'll buy the membership", & even confirmed I'd be able to get the car towed tomorrow without charges.

(N.B.: 2 hours, and they hadn't spoken with any mechanic. When requested again they claim "he only is mechanic no sir?" while was the just towing guy.)

*Knowing from my past experiences, I had a doubt that they're simply trying to sell me something unnecessarily. & As I've left for a busy day at work, I guessed I'll call my insurance RSA tomorrow anyway.*

Still, just incase, I asked if this membership's benefit could be used today itself. She's not sure, says she'll call back.

3:50pm Got a call clarifying that membership is for 6 breakdown assistance incidents & 2 towing charges. I dunno how they're different, asked her. No clue - she'll call back in 10 mins.

4:16pm Calls back clarifying Rs.1,220/- is just for membership while towing charges infact will be applicable separately over & above the 1,220/- and will depend on dealership('s mood?)! I asked if it could be purchased at any time, again, didn't know & another call back in 10 mins.

4:20pm Calls back confirming membership can be bought anytime in future.

Point is : This is the kind of support they've kept for emergency services!

If I had agreed to that "Membership" gimmick the first time assuming (as informed over call) it'll cover present towing charges & future contingencies I would have got a rude shock later that the amount effectively includes nothing and I'd have to pay not just as towing charges (@Rs.200/km) this time, but even at other times at whatever prices dealer felt.

Either the people are uninformed OR (more likely) they're just trying to rip-off people at their most vulnerable moments (during possible emergencies).

If that went through, I'd have accused Tata Motors of fleecing me & never considered buying anything from them in future. Infact looking at Tata Motors' low sales figures in those monthly reports, I'd have even been happy.
I am not an automobile engineer but I believe most cars have hydraulic brakes and the handbrake is the only cable operated brake. I think a sudden catastrophic brake failure is because of hydraulic fluid lines being leaky or the reservoir being fully empty. It is extremely rare for a properly maintained brake system(which I presume) to fail fully.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the dealers.
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 11:40   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
...Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the dealers.
Yep, its hydraulic, my bad. As per the SA, apparently, all the wheel cylinders had failed. Properly maintained, coz I just serviced it at KHT motors a few months ago under AMC.

This was with the TATA Motors Helpline (1800 209 7979) itself, actually.

Though, even my experience with Concorde Motors (Dairy Circle, Bangalore) was no less than horrible with the SA giving me an estimate of 1-1.5k and the final bill amounting to 5.5k with nonsensical additions. Again, the mail to TATA CC was of no consequence.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 5th October 2015 at 11:44.
Old 5th October 2015, 17:35   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Yep, its hydraulic, my bad. As per the SA, apparently, all the wheel cylinders had failed. Properly maintained, coz I just serviced it at KHT motors a few months ago under AMC.

This was with the TATA Motors Helpline (1800 209 7979) itself, actually.

Though, even my experience with Concorde Motors (Dairy Circle, Bangalore) was no less than horrible with the SA giving me an estimate of 1-1.5k and the final bill amounting to 5.5k with nonsensical additions. Again, the mail to TATA CC was of no consequence.
It's very extraordinary that a modern car suffered full brake failure. I think TATA calls you after a couple of days to check if you are satisfied. To be frank concorde cochin provided very good service. It was only because of them we could maintain an old Indica and an even older Estate. I think you should report this to TATA when they make the call. I am not using a Tata now so can't judge how their network is now.
Old 5th October 2015, 19:48   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
It's very extraordinary that a modern car suffered full brake failure.
lol I'm just thanking my stars it was at slow speed & near my house!

Quote:
I think TATA calls you after a couple of days to check if you are satisfied...
No one calls me after service. Has been the same past 3 years.

I'd personally mentioned this to the MD of Tata Motors (Late Mr.Karl Slym) himself when I met him 2 years back to help conceptualise "Next TATA Car", nothing changed for me.

Quote:
I think you should report this to TATA when they make the call
Even I was shocked about that, mailed the Customer Care about the same. They replied someone will get in touch. No-one did.

Mails to CC are often of barely any consequence unless one gets behind them like crazy. In this day & age, I doubt people have the time to follow up so vigorously.

Also the lay-person who's not technically inclined, would lack the tenacity to hold any of those shrewd service advisors or the company, accountable.

Quote:
To be frank concorde cochin provided very good service. It was only because of them we could maintain an old Indica and an even older Estate.... . I am not using a Tata now so can't judge how their network is now.
The people they choose for the network should be good. One incident that happened when I went to collect my car.

Me : Why am I charged ~500/- for General Check-up when it wasn't done ? And what is this "Re-Conditioning of brake" for Rs.415/- x 2 ?

SA 1 : Sir, General Check-up is a "standard charge" for everyone. "Re-Conditioning of brake" is for changing the brake cylinders.

Me : Take off General Check-up, nothing was done. And why am I being charged for "Re-Conditioning of brake" when I've already been charged labour for replacement.

SA 1 : I'll remove "General Check-up", but "Re-Conditioning of brake" will stay. Its all coding system from TATA Motors sir, very advanced & complex computer billing. I can't do anything, it'll come like that only.

Me : If I'm billed for replacement, make it say that in the title. Nothing else will do.

SA 1 to SA 2 : What to do for "Re-Conditioning of brake", he's insisting it be titled properly, but replacement labour is already charged.

SA 2 to SA 1 : Charge it under "Other Parts Replaced" & edit with different name & same amount.

*while re-billing* SA 2 to Me: Nano customers are low budget people. They can't afford cars & don't understand them either.

Me : WHAT!!!

SA 1 : Here's the bill sir, I've removed "General Check-up" please pay at that counter.

SA 2 to SA 1 : Never accept cars from other dealers, make it a rule because you see they're only the problem, how you'll reach target?

( NB : I know with the next few comments I was abit rude by my usual "nice customer/owner" standards, but I was crazy offended! So, imagine the most caustic voice sarcastically telling this : )

Me
to SA 2 : Yeah, infact MOST of TATA buyers must be budget customers. All models have failed even with heavy discounts. Before atleast the Taxi market bought TATA cars, now even they're leaving. Your company seems on the verge of closing. Better find jobs elsewhere. Don't even try at Maruti coz they won't tolerate these kind of mis-billing.

Me to SA 1 : You can't really say "No" to my Nano or any TATA car from anywhere. Don't even try that.

Me to SA 1 & 2 : Anyway, my other car is a FIAT Linea, and I'm glad you'll showed your true thinking about considering customers as poor & foolish scape-goats.

I paid & left the service center almost with a lump in my throat regretting that this was the very same company I often supported for their feature-rich cars in official reviews here, many facebook auto-groups and even encouraged them on various social networks, often giving suggestions & feedback.

Sorry if you felt its a long rant, but thats just what happened & made me feel rather betrayed for believing that Tata Motors Service network is worthy of being trusted.

Maybe it was a 1-off case. Still, now on I almost always spell the caveat about staying with the car during service to anyone whom I suggest to consider a TATA car.
GrammarNazi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 22:39   #776
BHPian

@GrammarNazi really pathetic attitude from the ASC. I've been ridiculed by my friends, my family for staying with Tata, but if they don't turn a new leaf at customer touch points, no one is going to come visiting their showrooms

I get my Nano serviced at ECR Concorde and the only positive is that there is some continuity amongst the SAs - the same guys are around for last couple of years.

In terms of Tata turning it around , I can remember that for my Indica, the dealer used to indicate when I could come in for service appointment , now if I call them they say come in whenever you feel like and the lounge is hardly crowded. I guess except for the cars under warranty the rest of the owners go to their FNGs or other reliable garages.

A side note, I had a small mishap while parking at my office basement car park and managed to hit a pillar at parking speeds. I have a big dent on the door and some scratches on the door and running board. Concorde is quoting 11k for door replacement under insurance ! I asked them to open the door and show me whats special, they claim that it has side beams for strengthening , yet the same door couldnt stand a brush against a pillar. For a car with an awful resale value thats a lot of money for a door.
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 00:13   #777
BHPian

I feel for you Grammar Nazi.

I love Tata Cars. But their service ... is nothing short of a disaster !

Concorde Motors at Worli is supposed to be the 'benchmark' for service of Tata - across India.

With the exception of literally 4 or 5 people (Raju Patil sir, Javed and few others ) - the rest is WORSE than a FNG.

One can't keep calling the GM for every small work that they are supposed to do.

Those guys have messed up my beloved Manza big time. Their foolishness has reduced my car to a junk that keeps getting me stranded in the middle of the road!
Bills have gone into almost 50k zone !

Most SAs don't know the meaning of AMC & Extended Warranty.
They are happy to try and charge you left, right and centre. SAs change mid-sentence if they realize that you know even a little bit about the car.

Actual mechanics keep changing and keep causing more damage to the car than it originally went in with.
Such callous work culture inside. Dashboard coming with chips & nicks. Bumper and bits damaged 'accidentally'. Screw caps missing. & when pointed out - their SA makes a face.
Complains that I am being too fussy to see such small things !
That SA refuses to take my car next time.

I think - ANY SA of TATA across INDIA - who thinks Tata is a cheap brand or a budget brand - and tries to behave 'low' with Tata customer should be fired and sent to VAG group immediately.

Zest, Bolt, Nano GenX - all FANTASTIC.
I would LOVE to own them.

But just maintaining my Manza & Nano are a pain !

Tata Motors makes really good VFM cars. With some brilliant features, all rounded performance and some very minor ignorable niceties missing (like auto folding ORVMs or cubby holes).

But their SERVICE. Damn!

If someone knows how to ruin a perfectly good car ... Pick any TASS in Mumbai ... Vama, Wasan, Concorde ... one is worse than the other. (this is descending order).

If you love your car - NEVER take it to Vama.
If you just want to use your car - don't mind it being abused - go to Wasan.
but if you love your car - then VERY VERY carefully - go to Concorde and be very very careful about everything.

Only difference is Concorde really has a plush ambience and overall slightly upmarket feel and atmosphere.
But technically - it's like a boat with too many holes.
How many of them can a few good men keep plugging !
& while they are at that - how long can the customers keep suffering !
Dr.Suraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 18:26   #778
Senior - BHPian

I own a pre-worshipped 2013 Nano which has done 27000+ km and it has been a sweet ride.
My Observations on various aspects of 2013 Tata Nano LX version after good drive since couple of months :
- Price wise, Nano is an economical car to purchase, with new generation model costing Rs.3.50 lacs +. While a showroom car has all the
glitters and a booking to buying experience, a pre-worshipped Nano comes very cheap in the used market sector.

- With a 3 Year Warranty thrown in by Tata Motors, a good coverage of 30000km in 3 years will wear out its parts like clutch plates , brake
pads etc, which can be replaced under warranty, which i did. One needs to goad Tata Motors for this.

- Tata Nano comes in 3 Variants (Basic,mid,top end). Basic variant has not even an AC, while mid and tp end are equipped with good features
central locking , OVRMs on both sides , body coloured bumpers etc. Engine size remains the same in all the 3 variants.
My Verdict:
Tata Nano is a peoples' car, but is yet to attain this status in my modest opinion. Safety is still a question mark with no disc brakes, even in the latest Gen X version, which comes in an Automatic gear shift mode.
Quite a peppy car in city to take you from Point A to Point B, without much fuss, but i would not recommend a Nano on a highway. Someone wishing to buy a pre-owned or a new Nano, need to think really what their need is, how this car is going to be put to use.

My final rating: 3/5

Now some pics of my Nano
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-1.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-2.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-3.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-4.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-5.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-6.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-7.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-7a.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-8.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-9.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-10.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-11.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-chroming-nano.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-tata-nano-acciisf.jpg  

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0182.jpg  

hillram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 18:40   #779
BHPian

[quote=GrammarNazi;3798536]On Monday, my (2010) Nano's brake cable snapped on my way to work.

[quote=GrammarNazi;3798536]

I too was harassed to no end by the Tata Motors service center in Hyderabad. I wonder why they are hell bent on selling that membership of 1200+ which I do not need. They say 5 times a year breakdown support comes free of charge with this.
I was almost about to ask them if they expect the Nano to breakdown so many times a year? It's absolutely ridiculous to expect breakdowns like this.

Actually the quality of parts that Tata uses are terrible either because of the rear engine design or perhaps they are inherently bad. Specifically, I faced multiple breakdowns due to Accelerator cable snapping, Clutch cable snapping(once). This is unheard of in any other car I have owned before or even seen driven by friends and relatives.

I loved the Nano for its practicality and low cost city usage, but now it's increasingly become a headache, not to mention the service cost which is driven up due to towing and replacements of clutch, brake assemblies and cables. I am just waiting for an opportunity to chuck the Nano for a more reliable vehicle.

Last edited by Cuatro : 6th October 2015 at 18:41. Reason: quotes did not appear
Cuatro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 21:13   #780
BHPian

Very interesting, I called my friend who owns a nano in trivandrum and asked him what was his plight ?

He has driven his Nano cx for 20 thousand Km and last week he went to the dealer there because the car's brakes ware making a grunting sound.

Mohandas motors charged him four brake cylinders+2 front shock absorber for a bill amounting to 20 thousand. This guy is a mechanical engineer from CET,Trivandrum and worked for L&T for over a decade,he knows his machine well. He was sure they were bluffing and got it serviced over here in Kochi from concorde motors. They simply changed the brake pads, and the issue is fixed.

I totally agree that some dealers are having untrained hirelings and cheat the customers on every possible occasion.

I still have some respect left concorde here as they are directly run by TATA. Actually they used to be very good till I sold my old car back in 2009-10.
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks