Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2012, 12:47   #121
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
How bad are the brakes ? Is it at-least as good as those on the 800, if so I can live with that.
They are not deal killers. They work but you always feel that it would have been nice if we could have had it a bit better. End result now is whenever I drive my swift, I end up having the entire car sudden brake..

Quadbike, its just like the omni. I cant comment on the 800 since I have not driven it much to give you a feedback.

I always feel I am gokarting when I use it, so its really fun and where I used to usually take my bike to go for small errands, I dont mind taking my nano because it feels comfortable to take in pocket roads.. Go ahead its worth it.

I actually feel Nano will one day become like the beetles and mini cooper intended for the mass and later on icon for the brand...its on the right path...
chakky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 12:58   #122
BHPian

Brakes are a big issue for me. I am having second thoughts now. I've had an accident on my old Wagon R at 50Kmph the car in front of mine braked and as I braked my car careened off to the left and hit a road roller.

Will do another test drive and decide whether to go with it.
Old 21st January 2012, 20:47   #123
BHPian

Today in the evening I had been to TATA for a test ride of the Nano. Somehow it did not impress me much.

Not sure if it was an issue with the Test car or it is really that way. Managed to stall the car thrice. Had a very jerky feeling and the engine could be heard very well inside the cabin (It was a 2012 model). There were 5 of us in the car.

Other than that, I felt the pickup was too weak and the steering had a dead feeling on turns. Every time I slotted in first gear to move out of the traffic on signal, I got a feeling as if some or the other engine part will drop down.

Maybe I should try a different showroom and a different test car to check if the above issues were with that particular car or with all of them.

No doubt the car is good and with almost 60K discount (Considering cost of bike in exchange + Exchange bonus of 20K for 2012 model OR 40K for 2011 model) the car is a steal. But I would not like to have that in my garage. Instead will think of a second hand Maruti Alto/800 or a Fiat Palio in the same price range. (Atleast, then I will have an option of CNG/Gas kit as well)
Old 15th February 2012, 12:41   #124
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have just booked a Nano LX. GTO / other owners : Is it possible to fit the same size alloy wheels back and front? How will this affect the handling? Has anyone done this? Does anyone know any good accessory shops in Goa?

Regards,
SS
Old 15th February 2012, 13:02   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brakes are a big issue for me. I am having second thoughts now. I've had an accident on my old Wagon R at 50Kmph the car in front of mine braked and as I braked my car careened off to the left and hit a road roller.

Will do another test drive and decide whether to go with it.
Had TD a Nano LX some months ago that is during the pre 2012 era and definitely found the brakes better than my 800 even with 4 big guys in tow. So if you are comparing only with the 800, Nano scores ahead but only with the booster type available in the Cx and Lx variant. Check for yourself to get convinced and do test back to back with a 800. IMO not a dealbreaker for a city runabout mini car.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 09:48   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just booked a Nano LX. GTO / other owners : Is it possible to fit the same size alloy wheels back and front? How will this affect the handling? Has anyone done this? Does anyone know any good accessory shops in Goa?

Regards,
SS
I beleive you should be able to fit same size alloys since the rims are identical ( Please check manual to verify this ).

In any case go for company made alloys if you like the design, should cost you around 9K in total.
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:13   #127
BHPian

I read in a couple of online forums that the Nano battery discharges when the car was not driven for a day and the emergency service number needs to be used to charge the battery again before the car can be driven.

Anyone faced such issues or is aware of them?
Old 22nd February 2012, 15:58   #128
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
I read in a couple of online forums that the Nano battery discharges when the car was not driven for a day and the emergency service number needs to be used to charge the battery again before the car can be driven.

I never had such issue with my Nano in last two years. Once I started her after almost one week and it started as usual. However, the length of the crank has increased these days, may be due to the battery which is two years old now.
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:16   #129
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Not sure if it was an issue with the Test car or it is really that way. Managed to stall the car thrice. Had a very jerky feeling and the engine could be heard very well inside the cabin (It was a 2012 model). There were 5 of us in the car.

Other than that, I felt the pickup was too weak and the steering had a dead feeling on turns. Every time I slotted in first gear to move out of the traffic on signal.

Maybe I should try a different showroom and a different test car to check if the above issues were with that particular car or with all of them.

No doubt the car is good and with almost 60K discount (Considering cost of bike in exchange + Exchange bonus of 20K for 2012 model OR 40K for 2011 model) the car is a steal. But I would not like to have that in my garage. Instead will think of a second hand Maruti Alto/800 or a Fiat Palio in the same price range. (Atleast, then I will have an option of CNG/Gas kit as well)
Suggest you do a Test Drive with a max of 2 if not ideally just 1 passenger besides yourself the driver. Am sure that in 95% of your drives you would be alone or at most with 1 other persons for a car like the Nano the passenger wt will have a major impact on the drivability and am sure with 5 persons in the car the chance of stalling it on a first drive as also of finding the acceleration sluggish would be quite high. Ideally you should find both this aspects better than in a M800 for sure. It could be an issue pretaining to that perticular car but still would recommend you do a TD with just one other person on board.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:19   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
I never had such issue with my Nano in last two years. Once I started her after almost one week and it started as usual. However, the length of the crank has increased these days, may be due to the battery which is two years old now.
Our Car is also 2 years old now, and we have never faced any problems with the battery or the startup. Our car is giving good service and has clocked 8000kms.
The driver broke the right door mirror and was replaced at the service centre for Rs.170. Yes thats it.
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:44   #131
BHPian

Hi Silverado,

Thanks for the info.
I understand from the dealer that the rim sizes are the same but the tyre sizes are different.
I will be fitting the OEM alloys at the dealership (same as pic posted by JKDas) before taking delivery. Cost is 10K.
I will also be buying the stereo from them as they are very "anti" me fitting anything outside - memories of the old Nano's catching fire I guess!!!!
The head unit seems OK - supposed to be a Kenwood - but the speakers which sit in the recess on the dashboard are pathetic to say the least. Worse sound than in an old Bombay Kaali Peeli taxi and worse is the exposed wires sticking out of the dash. However, they refuse to let me fit speakers outside claiming loss of warranty. When I requested them to make a small hole in the dash for the speaker wires, I was told it may damage the sensors?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever heard such a load of nonsense?

Hope to get delivery tomorrow or latest the day after.

Regards,
SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I beleive you should be able to fit same size alloys since the rims are identical ( Please check manual to verify this ).

In any case go for company made alloys if you like the design, should cost you around 9K in total.
Old 26th February 2012, 15:57   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post

I have had it for the past two months. Clocked 2000km and I have kept the car unused for more than 10 days and I have not had a battery discharge yet.

So far in my experience, only suggestions for improvement would be :
a) Brakes made better to feel comfortable on the highways at above 70kmph speeds.
b) A better steering at parking speeds.
c) Better closing mechanism for the bonnet. Its always a pain that unless we personally attend to it, the petrol attendants just cant seem to close it properly after filling petrol.

My friend actually got a overspeeding ticket yesterday for hitting 85kmph on the highway at Cochin . My nano is having an eventful journey..
Old 26th February 2012, 21:47   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I don't understand why Tata chose to skimp on the glovebox. I mean, how much does it cost for this useful feature? I actually kept a bunch of keys under the floor mat once, as they wouldn't fit anywhere else.
I agree 100%. I own a Sunshine Yellow 2010 NAno LX, the glovebox is sorely missed. The Indica/go one with a lock could have been transplanted with required changes.

I don't agree with GTO's remarks on the lousy wiper. The blade on my car was of "Syndicate" make .. with a Made In Japan embossing on the rubber. It tore near the top corner, would not clean properly, the wash nozzles need to be adjusted properly for water to NOT fall off the windshield. I bought a replacement, from TATA dealer Autolinks, for Rs 200 odd. The blade still bears the Made in Japan embossing.

Considering the standard make of the blade, I don't see TATA's role in it, except opting for a single blade one !
Old 28th February 2012, 10:56   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakky View Post
I have had it for the past two months. Clocked 2000km and I have kept the car unused for more than 10 days and I have not had a battery discharge yet.

So far in my experience, only suggestions for improvement would be :
a) Brakes made better to feel comfortable on the highways at above 70kmph speeds.
b) A better steering at parking speeds.
c) Better closing mechanism for the bonnet. Its always a pain that unless we personally attend to it, the petrol attendants just cant seem to close it properly after filling petrol.

My friend actually got a overspeeding ticket yesterday for hitting 85kmph on the highway at Cochin . My nano is having an eventful journey..
I agree with your suggestions. This March 09 our Nano will be celebrating it's 1st anniversary with us and i'll post a mini review.The pic below was taken last November.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-.jpg  

nickatnite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 11:00   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How bad are the brakes ? Is it at-least as good as those on the 800, if so I can live with that.
They are much better than 800. M800 brakes are miserable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks