Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 17:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Great review GTO as always.!
The Nano has been a problem child for Tata motors. Hopefully this should give it a boost. IMHO, I still feel people are skeptical about the fire incidents which took place across the country. PR team of Tata motors should have stepped in and taken care of this.Having driven the Nano myself, it doesn't disappoint you but you have a feeling that you are driving something unique yet something is missing.
Great insight into the 2 wheelers psyche and commuting info.
Again, coming to the safety bit, I saw a BEST bus crashing straight into an Alto on an intersection and the car instantly turned into a 'U' shaped vehicle from the impact side. It was disturbing to imagine how Nano would have fared considering build quality of the car and structural rigidity. I wish that they bring it with basic safety features (maybe enhanced side impact beams/ enhanced crumple zones). Perhaps similar to the Europa model.
I also think that they bring out an A/T variant which will become and instant hit for urban commute.
I feel that the used car market will definitely give you more options (Engine/ Fuel wise) at the on road price of the LX variant.

Drive Safe
Old 20th December 2011, 17:10   #17
BHPian

Great point. Makes a lot of sense.
Economy car, folks at Tata should have thought about it.
However, I also think Tata wanted to tap into the urban commuters who generally maybe missing the communication shower.
I also think that the positioning has not been correct with this car.
What's your take?
Cheers..!
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Simply amazing, GTO. A very in-depth and informative review. And I love the pic where the brand name of the ciggy pack is hidden by the handbrake. Intentional?

I work in the bad bad world of advertising. But I believe that they've made a huge mistake by advertising this car.

They shouldn't have at all. The entire world talked/talks about it. It would have helped them to reduce the cost by a good 15-20K per car. Simple posters across all banks would have done the trick. And for the digital folks like us, all we need is videos on Youtube and other online info (reviews like this work fine ).

If somehow they can cut down 15-20K on this beauty, it'll sell, a lot.
Old 20th December 2011, 17:18   #18
Team-BHP Support

Tata seems to have worked upon the Nano to bring about a better Nano 2012.

One question - you mentioned that the rear selt can be folded down for carrying more luggage. But how much weight can be carried esp. in the boot where it's the engine directly below?

The position of the steering wheel sure looks quite low; the enthusiastic few would get a nice race-car feel!

Nano is a wonderful car for the purpose it is created with and I really do hope it picks up!
Old 20th December 2011, 17:30   #19
BHPian

Another amazing review GTO!! I guess the design and the entire packaging is slowly growing on everyone! Its surely cute and just love that Sunshine Yellow color!! I have seen a modified Nano (with xenon lights and alloys!!) its a Yellow one! Not sure if anyone here has seen this car, its quite a stunner and can be seen near Bagmane Tech Park often..

Can we get a review of the facelifted (2011) Mahindra Bolero please?
Old 20th December 2011, 17:50   #20
BHPian

2012 car is even more value than earlier model. This somehow confirms the adage about Tata Vehicles. Never buy the initial lot if you do not want to be the guinea pig!!. Kudos to Tata for listening to customer feedback and improving the car.

This will be the perfect city run about - won't mind to pick one up as a second car strictly for in city driving.
Old 20th December 2011, 17:54   #21
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful Review GTO & team.

Still I could not understand, how this small car is designed with maximum space. The design team deserves all the credit.

Surprised to hear about the aircon performance. Is this because of winter climate now?

Feel Nano is a perfect platform to introduce battery powered/hybrid power plants.

Hope Nano will find good amount of middle class buyers this time.
Old 20th December 2011, 17:56   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb review. I guess the Nano V2 will indeed do well from now onwards and the sooner they get a diesel the faster they move to the No1 slot that they actually deserve.

The focus seems to have shifted from cheap to run to cute and practical.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:05   #23
BHPian

Hey is there anyway we can get an official review of the freelander 2 seen in the background of the first few pics
Old 20th December 2011, 18:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Superb review GTO.

Sad that this little mini urban commuter had to climb Pawna and could not make it up with 4. I do feel that most cities where this commuter car is intended wont have such steep inclines. Ive seen it zoom up Altamount road and a few SOBO steep lanes and Ive seen the Nano in Ladakh too.

This is a bare bones commuter, city slicker. To expect more from this seems slightly unfair. Nothing wrong with expecting, we always expect more. If tata gave a bigger engine, fuel lid, rear openable boot lid, music system etc and charged 2.5 lakhs ex showroom - NANO SPORTS - im sure no one would have complained. However, they seem to have postioned this as a bare bones basic runabout with just bare necessary frills. (ac is no longer a frill though)

You are right in pointing out that the 2 wheeler riders that the Nano is intended towards would probably not buy it. But in a downpour and the moonscapes that appear across all the metros in this country, one would be better off in a Nano than on a 2 wheeler.

4 years 60k kms manufacturers warranty is outstanding value considering the depreciation values of most cars in the 3-5 lakh range. Onroad cost of the Nano Lx in Bombay is 2.14 lakhs. The SA at the TASS told me the Nano is very cheap to maintain. The entire clutchplate-pressureplate assembly costs approx Rs.1500/- Now thats cheap for a barebones car. I think the Nano will redefine cost of ownership for many car owners.
The service folks at the TASS do call it a tin box on wheels though and dont recommend it for anything more than city commutes.

The Tata trademark = niggles, should hopefully reduce due to less components, less electronics etc. Yet to hear of a totally trouble free ownership experience from Tata.

Image concerns. Its still a looker and will look good 4 years later too. The new colors are super kool. I think slowly conservative perspectives are changing. The Nano will be a second car for many, used just purely as a city runabout.

Saw a Nano ad . Rs.15000/- downpayment only. Im sure the emi's will be pocket change for a 4 year deal for most looking for a toy car to zipp around in the city. It looks small enough to fit parallel into a parallel parking for bikes. I know of atleast 2 such people going to buy one in Jan. Im quite tempted too.

Once again. Wonderful review. Thanks.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:32   #25
BHPian

Excellent review. Rated a well-deserving 5*

How I wished they made the hatch door openable. Sigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The upcoming diesel variant will give the Nano a true shot in the arm. I have a feeling that the diesel Nano will absolutely catapult the li’l car’s sales.
Absolutely! I cancelled the nano booking because I didn't need an extra car by the time my delivery was due (I was the last few) and the nano had lost its oomph factor by then. But now, I too am waiting for the diesel nano to buy one for my wife

Quote:
Then, at about an indicated 110 kph (and actual 105 kph), the fuel cuts off. When this happens, it results in a funny jerk & drag kind of feeling.
I see a gap and move to overtake. I'm almost through. Now fuel cuts off. Is it as bad as it sounds? Especially considering that the guy whom the Nano overtakes is going to make it more difficult for the Nano to overtake him

Quote:
If you stop in the middle of a steep incline, the Nano will stubbornly refuse to go further
I hope that the torquier diesel engine would improve this situation to some extent

Last edited by benzinblut : 20th December 2011 at 18:34.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:43   #26
BHPian

wonderful and to the point review.

isn't the battery placement under driver seat a concern to safety? imagine a crash causing an acid spill from the battery (though battery acid is not very strong to cause significant damage to skin)?
Old 20th December 2011, 19:08   #27
BHPian

Nice one GTO! I was curious seeing the commercials on 2012 Nano and wondered what was improved. Looks like Tata is taking customer feedback well.

An automatic option would be a welcome move. There is no sub 3L AT vehicle in the market and this could corner that market easily.
Old 20th December 2011, 19:34   #28
BHPian

I wish they had marketed it differently. This would have made a killer lifestyle car and a great complement to the "regular" car. But Tata didn't control the message and Nano got stuck with "a car for those who can't afford a proper car" image. Heck, I would have bought one to go to the office but didn't want to be associated with its cheap image and answer all those questions about why I didn't buy a proper car.

It's still not too late though.
Old 20th December 2011, 19:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for a great review GTO. How I wish the car was a shade of Red or Yellow. And I sincerely hope the 2012 Nano is atleast a moderate success for Tata. The little car deserves to sell more.

Quote:
Headlamps are surprisingly powerful. Most owners won't feel the need to upgrade to after-market bulbs:
Considering the fact that the 'Tata Ace' team got involved in the Nano project, I am not surprised.

Quote:
• Tiny fuel tank can hold a mere 15 liters of fuel. The Maruti 800's capacity is nearly double that at 28 liters.
15 litres is too low and the range will be very limited. Nobody likes to visit a petrol bunk these days. Where is the fuel tank located?

Quote:
• One problem with Tata’s cars is that they age really fast! I’ve noticed this in my Indigo which at 40,000 kms feels like a 100,000+ kms Japanese.
I have heard about premature clutch wear on the Nano. How was the clutch after your drive? The long gears are indeed a bad choice.

OT: Are we going to get a Freelander 2 official review soon?

Last edited by deetjohn : 20th December 2011 at 19:55. Reason: Adding text.
Old 20th December 2011, 19:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review GTO,
I am (or now say was) looking forward to buy the 2012 Nano as a second car. But after my B-I-L in Bangalore has bought it for his Dad (CX), he was very disappointed with the engine noise inside which in his opinion is very loud. He was surprised as to if Petrol one is so loud what will happen in Diesel.
As regards me, I was let down by the "auto-like" exhaust note and thought it has been changed for good but it seems they have only stopped the "put-put" (diesel pumpset like) sound and now only constant auto-like sound can be heard. Infact that is also the sole reason I don't want to buy the previous model despite 30-35K discounts being offered. If someone wants to judge the "importance" of this factor, just read the first comment after the GTOs review. As per me anyone can live with the cheapest car tag, but no one would ever like his CAR to be compared with Auto or Tata Ace. I think Tata must do something about this.

Paraddox : People complain about petrol price, mileage, etc. Would like to see Diesel Nano coming soon. At the same time they want Nano A/T which will definitely have lower FE. ?

Last edited by carwatcher : 20th December 2011 at 19:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks