Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2011, 11:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

This is an outstanding review. I know where to direct family, friends keen on buying a Nano. Thanks GTO! I read your comment in the other thread that quality takes time. I am convinced that this emphasis on quality over everything else, is what really makes T-bhp the B-E-S-T automotive media resource in the country!

On the Nano: Tata let it be known to you that I have the cash ready, should you launch a diesel or better still, an electric/hybrid version of the Nano. For every other Nano variant, I think my 5 year old M-800 does the job as well, if not better.

One question though, it was shocking to learn that the Nano performs so poorly o inclines. But I thought this was not a concern, as I see a lot of Nanos plying on the roads in Himachal Pradesh & Uttarakhand.
rrsteer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 11:43   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Image of the "cheapest car in India / the world"
Thats ok; but the engine noise that makes it feel more like auto than a car is the problem.

Quote:
• Standard warranty is for 4 years / 60,000 kms. Service intervals are at 1000 kms, 5000, 10000 and thereafter, at every 10000 kms. The Nano was originally sold with an 18 month warranty; that duration was increased to boost customer confidence.
Thats cool

Quote:
• One problem with Tata’s cars is that they age really fast! I’ve noticed this in my Indigo which at 40,000 kms feels like a 100,000+ kms Japanese.
Very true with All TATA's (Personal Experience)

Quote:
• The Nano has 31 design & 37 technology patents under its belt.
Good

Quote:
• A Nano automatic = perfect city tool. Agreed? Now, add a diesel or electric engine to that equation.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I like the new papaya color Should have posted that .

Big review for a small car!

And is this OE alloys ?
I remember seeing these alloys in one of the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
I thought i will never buy this 'thing' when it was first launched in 2009 . However, very recently i used a friend`s nano LX for 10 days when i didn`t have a ride. Completely loved the practicality of it in day to day use.

After handing it over to my friend, i bought myself a pearl white LX 2012 model which got delivered to me in 4 days flat on 2nd dec 2011. Been driving to office in it ever since. Fuel efficiency is 22 presently and A.C. is super chill.

Abbas.
Congrats on your new car!

Interior/quality of materials are not that bad IMHO, I was really surprised of the space and the packing when I first saw this car in Flesh in one of the showrooms in Bangalore when it was launched.
Old 21st December 2011, 11:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
One question though, it was shocking to learn that the Nano performs so poorly o inclines. But I thought this was not a concern, as I see a lot of Nanos plying on the roads in Himachal Pradesh & Uttarakhand.
It is mentioned by GTO that it happens with 4 persons onboard and that too at steep inclines. Otherwise no problem. Hope it clears the confusion.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[i]
Despite Tata’s best efforts, the Nano still sounds like a Bajaj autorickshaw at idle. The sound is a real turn off and invited criticism from every single person in our group.
There they blew it again.
The biggest problem with Nano still remains unresolved.
They need to read the mind of Indian junta better. When you are driving around in Nano last thing you want others to say is "Look he is driving around in his Auto Rickshaw sounding car. He could have saved a little bit more and gone for a proper car."
Car is (still) a prestige thing in India. And comments like that really rub in deep. Most of women I know won't even touch it with a 10 foot barge pole precisely because of the sound.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:20   #50
BHPian

Thank you. Thank You. & Thank you.

I was checking in every day - ever since you said 'coming soon'.

I badly need a small city car (after the Manza - which is excellent with amazing city driving - but is BEST for Highways - like all Tata Cars).

I was eagerly waiting for Nano Diesel or even Electric (are you listening Tata? - get one out before Mahindra & Maini launch it).

The prime deterrent with the old Nano was the exhaust note.

I will have to go out & hear it personally in the 2012 Nano.
But rest everything sounds good!
Certain things that are lacking - I don't mind spending on some after market accessories to aid creature comforts.
Even if the total cost goes upto 2.5 lakhs.

& I am definitely getting those scale models in all possible colours from the Merchandise store.

I was also considering the Eon.
But the Nano just makes so much sense for city driving.
I repeat - PURE city driving only - for me & sometimes my wife.

Smallest car - makes finding a parking spot the easiest thing!

But - I still think I will wait for a version WITH PS.
&
maybe even the Diesel.

But this has got me tempted!

Thanks GTO for the COMPLETE review.
Full sized proper GTO style review even for a Small car.
Impressive!

Thank you!
Old 21st December 2011, 12:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

A very comprehensive review, GTO. Thanks.
I think the review should be titled Tata Nano 2012 (to differentiate it from the older Tata Nano).

The rear seats get only lap belts? How do I fix a normal child car seat at the back then?

I had advised two close neighbors for Nano. They did not even take a test drive (bad impressions are difficult to wash off) and instead purchased i10 and Alto in the last 30 days. This is despite the fact that Nano is more senior citizen friendly - easy ingress/ egress and better all round visibility.
I have been asking my wife to consider Nano, but she is least interested in changing from Zen to Nano.
I am waiting now for the diesel version with power steering and (of course) less noise to come up. That along with 3-point belt system at the back should be strong case for me.

When is the diesel Nano launch expected?

Last edited by S_U_N : 21st December 2011 at 12:42.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:41   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

very nice and detailed review. Quite a gripping read. Would be very useful for enthusiasts and buyers alike. Keep up the great show
Old 21st December 2011, 13:29   #53
BHPian

Well, The first thing that came to my mind was why-o-why GTO chose on to review a Model Year change for a car?

Isn't it the first time in T-BHP history that we went on to review a model year change which may or may not be an MCE. In fact I have never come across a full blown official review for any of the MCE of Hyundai, Honda or Maruti products, so why this special praise on this cute little car? I remember in past T-BHP we categorically said no to review new variant additions or MCEs. Are we here setting a new trend at T-BHP for official reviewing of all MCEs, Variant Additions, Model Year changes, engine Changes for all cars henceforth? Does it have ample differentiation from the Existing Nano to deserve a new round of review?

This change in Nano looks no more than a minor facelift without even the smallest of change on outer steel.

That said, I have always been a fan of your review style and it still is the best; deserves the usual 7* (and huge clapping) and I am looking forward to more such excellent reviews in future.

The car itself never had the problem, the problem started with Tata Media Team allowing this car to be labelled as 1-Lakh whereas this could very well had competed with likes of 800 and Alto's price range. "Cheapest is never good" especially in the products which brings 'social status' to the end customers

Last edited by anu21v : 21st December 2011 at 13:35.
Old 21st December 2011, 13:32   #54
BHPian

Thanks to GTO & tbhp mods - As usual an excellent & objective review. Was waiting since I saw the "coming soon" comment.

It is a super cute car & feels like a perfect urban companion - 80% of the time you are the only occupant & maybe another 10 - 15% 2 people @ max. But the convenience & chuckability in a city traffic & minimalistic parking footprint makes for such a stress free commute.

I have always wanted to buy one of my own but I guess the "image" stuck with it had turned the family hostile against any such thoughts. Now they have a couple of "proper" cars to drive around maybe I'll get my hand on of the 2012 models.

How I wish they had added the opening tailgate / screen - would have made it perfect
Old 21st December 2011, 13:40   #55

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Thank you GTO

Clear, up to the point, unbiased review with lot of pictures . Believe me, I was visiting T-Bhp at least twice a day after GTO has mentioned about nano 2012 review in the 'November 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis' thread. As always, patience pays off with high quality review meeting T-bhp standards!

As mentioned by GTO and other members, a small lockable glove box and split rear seats could have made the car more practical. Also, they could have launched some dark exterior colors like Black, dark blue, dark green, dark grey etc.,

13.76 kpl in a mix of city & highway driving is not so great. I am little confused about this. In a conversation with one of my colleague an year before, he told that his nano gives 18.5 kpl with 100% AC in his everyday office commute, which is a mix of Chennai city & OMR highway driving.

Now, I am eagerly waiting for the launch of the diesel nano. Any confirmed news about TATA showcasing it in the upcoming 2012 auto expo or any insider info about its launch date?
Old 21st December 2011, 13:40   #56
BHPian

Great review GTO. Though one question has been on my mind for a long time. Why doesn't TATA give Nano a openable boot like the old 800, i.e, only the rear glass opening (all it needs is 2 hinges and a lock + beading)?
Old 21st December 2011, 14:02   #57
BHPian

Thanks a ton GTO for the writeup. Since the airing of the new Nano ads, my wife has been pretty excited with it and says they look cool. When I first watched them, I simply opened the forum, however could not find your review.

The changes are worth noticing and make the car look fresh. Tata seems to be following the US pattern of introducing next year models with the year on it. Will now actually have to Test Drive the car and see if wifey likes it and then look for buying options.

Thanks everyone!
Old 21st December 2011, 14:54   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Glad you liked the review, guys. Thank you for the 5 star thread rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nav View Post
Why doesn't TATA give Nano a openable boot like the old 800
They should. It would greatly make the Nano feel more like a "proper car". Other than the cost & perhaps weight (with all that beefing up), I can't think of any other reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveAddict View Post
13.76 kpl in a mix of city & highway driving is not so great. I am little confused about this. In a conversation with one of my colleague an year before, he told that his nano gives 18.5 kpl with 100% AC in his everyday office commute, which is a mix of Chennai city & OMR highway driving.
KPL would vary according to driving conditions. Most Mumbai & Bangalore owners report kpl in the range of only 13 - 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Are we here setting a new trend at T-BHP for official reviewing of all MCEs, Variant Additions, Model Year changes, engine Changes for all cars henceforth? Does it have ample differentiation from the Existing Nano to deserve a new round of review?
The reason for the full-fledged review is simple; we hadn't run a complete, official test on the Tata Nano at the time of launch! There wasn't a better opportunity to review this extremely relevant Indian car. Other cars that have received a full Team-BHP review (at the time of a mere face-lift or engine change) are:

- Hyundai i10
- Fiat Linea
- Maruti Alto
- Skoda Laura
- Toyota Corolla
- Tata Indica Vista
- Maruti A-Star
- Ford Endeavour
- BMW 3 series

Each of these cars had been launched way before our official review. However, as we hadn't reviewed them at the time of launch, we did so at the time of a minor update, facelift or engine change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
It will completely give up if you have 3 passengers on-board. Main reason for this is the taller gearing of the 2012 Nano. Imagine a 600 cc car with limited revvs that does 40 kph in 1st? A shorter 1st gear ratio would completely solve this problem of climbing up hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
You mentioned that Tata is offering free upgrades to the previous gen Nanos. Any details on that? Have they set any cutoff for that and which all upgrades are they giving?
Don't know. The owner of the Yellow Nano recently got a letter from Tata informing him of an upcoming upgrade. Details aren't mentioned on the letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
By the way, why didn't Tata consider the possibility of a 50:50 split rear seat, specially since it is a 4-seater car?
Less than 5% of owners ever use the 50:50 split seat function in their car. Plus, there's the added cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
1. Whats the feedback on the suspension ? One of my friends who owns a first gen Nano mentioned that its akin to the suspension of an Autorickshaw , is that so? any improvements in the 2012 edition
The suspension set up is softer and thus, more liveable. It's still very basic though.

Quote:
2. Safety aspect - How safe will the car be in the scenario of a city road smash up i.e. moderate speed impact . Will it be as safe as an Alto at least ?
I don't expect the Nano to be any less safe than an Alto. And it will for sure be safer than the 25 year old Maruti 800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
The main negative point is refinement, the engine sounded crude, at start as well as when driving with some auto like noise creeping in even with windows rolled up while speeding. There were some vibrations/rattling inside too but that may be due to the demo car's upkeep.
No problems with NVH when the car is on the move. However, and only at idle, it sounds horribly similar to a rickshaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
The pocket/sleeve just "hanging in there" that you rightly pick on. It shouldn't even be there. A closer look at the piece of cloth even shows the ugly stitching (that is to be expected for the kind of thing this is), and the quality seems so poor that it'd look out of place on an auto-rickshaw. After significantly sprucing up the interiors - and I do like it, the seats look great - why leave this piece of junk?
Get rid of it, Tata!

Quote:
One question about the battery placement under the front seat. This apparently makes people uncomfortable (as in nervous). I couldn't really infer from the photographs, but do you think there's enough room to put the battery in the front, under the bonnet, and the spare tire under the front seat (i.e. swap them)?
Tata can easily fit the battery in the bonnet area if they want to. Your suggestion is splendid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Is it that heavy or comparable to Maruti 800? which was ok and not that heavy.
It's heavier than the Maruti 800's steering at <10 kph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
One question - you mentioned that the rear selt can be folded down for carrying more luggage. But how much weight can be carried esp. in the boot where it's the engine directly below?
The engine cover is a solid metal plate. I don't see any issue with carrying luggage in the boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
I see a gap and move to overtake. I'm almost through. Now fuel cuts off.
This happened to me like a 100 times on the Expressway. Either the engine revv limit would kick in, or I'd hit the top speed limiter. In either situation, the car could easily have done more (rpm or speed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I have heard about premature clutch wear on the Nano. How was the clutch after your drive?
Tata's passenger cars definitely have weak clutches (cost cutting). Ask me as an owner of the Indigo. Our test car's clutch was okay at the end of the test, but I'd only driven it for 400 - 500 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Paraddox : People complain about petrol price, mileage, etc. Would like to see Diesel Nano coming soon. At the same time they want Nano A/T which will definitely have lower FE. ?
Not really. Diesels are inherently more fuel-efficient than petrols. Therefore, a diesel automatic can be more fuel-efficient than you think. Look up the FE numbers of the diesel Laura!
Old 21st December 2011, 15:27   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really. Diesels are inherently more fuel-efficient than petrols. Therefore, a diesel automatic can be more fuel-efficient than you think. Look up the FE numbers of the diesel Laura!
No Sir, I was only referring to Petrol À/T.
May be I should've mentioned it before Diesel. But what I want to convey was that people complain about petrol price hike, watch the mileage very carefully, waiting for Diesel version to be launched and yet ask for À/T option in "petrol" version which will make it perfect urban car especially for ladies and elderly people. But at the same time mileage of A/T are generally lower than M/T.
Old 21st December 2011, 15:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:
The reason for the full-fledged review is simple; we hadn't run a complete, official test on the Tata Nano at the time of launch! There wasn't a better opportunity to review this extremely relevant Indian car. Other cars that have received a full Team-BHP review (at the time of a mere face-lift or engine change) are:

- Hyundai i10
- Fiat Linea
- Maruti Alto
- Skoda Laura
- Toyota Corolla
- Tata Indica Vista
- Maruti A-Star
- Ford Endeavour
- BMW 3 series

Each of these cars had been launched way before our official review. However, as we hadn't reviewed them at the time of launch, we did so at the time of a minor update, facelift or engine change.
Wow, how did this neat little car, which won the Team-BHP COTY 2009 award, missed this grand welcome at T-BHP. Thankfully finally we got to see a full fledged review. Better late than never!!!!

Toyota Corrolla with the new diesel heart or MCE 2009 probably was still much bigger Visible Outside and architectural changes than the one on MY-2012-Nano hence reviews were pretty much required for corolla et al. Model Year change to me are too small to be seen as anything which changes customer perspective drastically.

Most Viewed