Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2012, 22:50   #76
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Sonata : Official Review

I first saw the new Sonata in 2009 when I had no idea that it is the new Sonata. In the dark of the night I did see that Hyundai logo, that it could be the new Sonata and was left asking myself can something so beautiful be a Sonata!!! Later I got to drive it as a rental car and loved most of the car except the front end - for me it looks a bit overdone and the dashboard - it is very overwhelming and huge. Did someone feel the same way?
Old 26th March 2012, 12:35   #77
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review Samurai, the details and the coverage make it an excellent read. As mentioned this is not a self drive car, lack of some of the features suggest so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
First-in-class ventilated seats. Using these controls, you can individually heat or cool the seats. The AT variant gets ventilation on all 4 seats, while the MT gets it for the rear seats only:
This and lack of Sun roof, would make self driven owners strike this one out from the list. They would look elsewhere, most likely towards Accord and Kizashi, Most likely Sonata will compete against the Camry, Superb, and the Teana. How would you compare the back seat comfort as compared to these three?

The need for screwdriver to activate child safety lock was weird, on most cars there usually is a small notch so as it can be activated. I am not able to decide which is better, the small notch ensures if any kids join in, its easy to activate, on the other hand the screwdriver changer ensures it does not get accidentally deactivated if you have kids as everyday occupants.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 26th March 2012 at 12:36.
Old 27th March 2012, 10:39   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The need for screwdriver to activate child safety lock was weird, on most cars there usually is a small notch so as it can be activated. I am not able to decide which is better, the small notch ensures if any kids join in, its easy to activate, on the other hand the screwdriver changer ensures it does not get accidentally deactivated if you have kids as everyday occupants.
The Linea has a concealed one and I like it, even though it is not most convenient as one has to open the back doors to lock/unlock. But the ones in Linea can be operated just with the key and we don't need a screw driver. Are we sure we can't do it with the key in the Sonata? Expecting someone to carry around a screw driver just for the sake of this purpose doesn't sound brilliant.
Old 27th March 2012, 11:46   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Great review (which has now become a TBHP norm) for a looker of a car. I see (guess I notice them more for their design) more new Sonatas on US roads than new Accords. Also - it is the best selling Hyundai here followed by the new fluidic elantra.
Got to sit inside one a while back - it is a pretty large car! never driven one so cannot comment on that.
Also - isn't GDI supposed to be more fuel efficient than MPFI engines? Gasoline direct injection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yes it is, GDI is more fuel efficent, and this tech is being used buy porsche and audi, so its very high tech! in india it seems its going unnoticed.
Old 27th March 2012, 12:10   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Superb is the car to beat in this segment and pricing the Sonata higher than that seems foolhardy. The Kizashi suddeny looks like a VFM option
VFM can be tagged to Superb only. Kizashi is definitely not a VFM. After sitting and driving it i feel its not even a full size sedan compared to others.(Its just a feeling )

But Sonata design looks very good. Not sure how the ventillated seats will create a segment on its own but lack of Diesel and the higher pricing does not really make it a great vfm.

Most of the features are already appearing one class below in the new Jetta and the space wise comparison also not really encouraging considering the Superb eating this segment with equipment and space.

Feels atleast 1-1.5 L over priced for the complete package and the hyundai symbol.

I am more interested in the drive.
Old 27th March 2012, 13:01   #81
BHPian

I own two Hyundai cars at about 94,000 and 74,000 clicks now and have known the dealer for close to 7 years. The cars will not likely be the choice of one who is looking at a fun to drive car as the overriding criteria.

But the overall ownership experience is such a wonderful package for me and like me possibly for many others. Yeah the labor costs keep climbing up, and there are tales of horrific dealer pre and post ownership experience. But with their market share I feel that that's not the norm. As an owner of their cars I rest assured that my two pieces of depreciating assets will work till their last breath. I did not experience this with my 7 year ownership of M800.

Now assuming there are many such Hyundai ownership others like me, as they look at upgrading, Sonata will be in their consideration set. If not they will have a hard time explaining to their wives why they do not want to look at Sonata The only reason they can give is that there's no diesel option but Hyundai appears they've done their research right on preferences. My guess is Hyundai will be looking to win a good number of such upgraders over and that's good enough for them. Over time they have also cemented their styling image (so much that I was surprised to see Hormazd of ACI tweet to the effect that Hyundai is the new king of styling).

Initial numbers for Sonata may be deceiving but it will be interesting to see the segment shares from month 7 since launch onwards.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 11:22   #82
Senior - BHPian

If i need to buy one in 2015 as a resale car, what price i need to pay for this car? I guess it will be around 6 Lacs for this car in 2015

I would like to buy one at that time only. I guess petrol will be around Rs 100 - 120 at that time. Still it will make sense to buy one
Old 28th March 2012, 11:45   #83
BHPian

I certainly was bowled over by its look the first time i saw it! Its a looker and looks even better in the flesh! If space is the best in class, i am sure it will sell well since it seems to be the deciding factor nowadays (The ugly duckling Sunny for example sells so much). In fact when we bought the Superb, it was the compelling factor (along with DSG gearbox). Though lack of Diesel will impact sales, it will still be interesting to see how it performs at least against the Honda Accord!
Old 28th March 2012, 13:05   #84
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review and exceptional pics Samurai san. You have summed it up well, this is the perfect Chauffeur driven barge at this price point, i will not recommend this to a driving enthusiast.

But am really clueless as to why they have omitted the diesel, since Chauffeur driven in India means more miles which will by default a diesel territory?

The fuse box pic, is it fuse box or ECU box or somethings. See only one fuse and some 2-3 wire couplers there? In engine bay there is a big black buxaa in front of LEFT strut which looks like the fuse dibba, which is the normal Hyundai design.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 13:24   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The fuse box pic, is it fuse box or ECU box or somethings. See only one fuse and some 2-3 wire couplers there? In engine bay there is a big black buxaa in front of LEFT strut which looks like the fuse dibba, which is the normal Hyundai design.
How about now?

Hyundai Sonata : Official Review-p2268091.jpg
Old 28th March 2012, 15:42   #86
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai design/parts bin sharing i guess, there is a 25 amp fuse and some pin connectors when you open it Thanks to your high res images again.
Old 28th March 2012, 16:11   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hyundai design/parts bin sharing i guess, there is a 25 amp fuse and some pin connectors when you open it Thanks to your high res images again.
Actually Sonata has two fuse boxes. The inner one has lots of fuses, you can check the owner manual for the details.

Hyundai Sonata : Official Review-avpageview-3282012-40547-pm.bmp.jpg
Old 28th March 2012, 16:29   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually Sonata has two fuse boxes. The inner one has lots of fuses, you can check the owner manual for the details.

Attachment 908399
Hyundai Sonata : Official Review-hyundaisonata13.jpg

Ok then where are the other fuses? Thats what i said parts bin sharing, wiring layout has moved on??
Old 28th March 2012, 16:33   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Attachment 908400

Ok then where are the other fuses? Thats what i said parts bin sharing, wiring layout has moved on??
I think it's the camera angle Jaggu. Pic is taken from a top view whereas the fuse box open downwards. If you put your head down you will see all the fuses mentioned. I found out in my Figo only last week. From sitting in the seat I couldn't see the fuse box although manual mentioned it. When you go down and see from below you see the fuse box.
Old 28th March 2012, 16:36   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I think it's the camera angle Jaggu. Pic is taken from a top view whereas the fuse box open downwards. If you put your head down you will see all the fuses mentioned. I found out in my Figo only last week. From sitting in the seat I couldn't see the fuse box although manual mentioned it. When you go down and see from below you see the fuse box.
Ok... Still that space seems too small to account for more than 5 small fuse Maybe i am wrong, but sure seems like a shoddy job underneath and look at those exposed wires.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks