Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 01:55   #16
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Audi Q3 : Official Review

Superb review.

Yep this moves the game further away from the Merc and even BMW to some extent. Definately a better package compared to the X1 but to roll numbers they need to get the FWD varient in soon.

Q3 along with the A4 have the potential to take Audi to the top of the segment charts.
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:24   #17
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant review anshuman. The missing memory for seats and mirrors is astounding, and I wonder how Audi can leave such a good and important feature out. I wonder what VAG is upto, really.

How does it compare to the Yeti, which I think also shares the platform with this. The layout in general looks very similar. Is the ride much better than the Yeti, what about the dynamics?
Old 23rd April 2012, 06:43   #18
BHPian

"Never, ever fill premium diesel in a German car. Regular diesel does just fine"
-Why so?
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:59   #19
BHPian

Any idea of what will be the on road price of this car will be, considering it is a CBU at the moment. Also is there any news about the pricing of the cheaper variant?
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:01   #20
BHPian

Superb review Anshuman! My folks are considering moving up from a sedan - to tackle bad roads and ensure easier ingress/egress. Would i be wrong in viewing the Q3 as a 3/C/A4 alternate for rough roads?

The Fortuner was test driven and rejected immediately because of the ride quality. I hope the FWD version has better ride quality over bad roads.

Also, are there any features which the Q3 has which the Superb doesn't? (apart from 4WD and electronic parking?)
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic review Anshuman. A superbly detailed one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Equally, I must add that the Q3 is Audi's smallest SUV yet, and there's no getting away from the fact that it's a compact SUV (or rather, crossover). The footprint is small at 4.39 meters in length. Indeed, the Q3 is shorter than most of the sedans at this price point. If you are looking for substantial presence, consider the Fortuner, Pajero Sport or Endeavour instead. It is important to note that the Q3 is a 5-seater SUV, and not a 7-seater like some other 25 lakh SUVs. This Audi tips the scales at 1,585 kilos, which is heftier than the RWD German sedans, yet lighter than the Audi A4 AWD. The aluminum bonnet & tailgate are just two of several weight-saving measures adopted by the engineering team.
Though X1 is the closest direct competitor, how do you rate the Q3 in comparison with the other small cross-over (in India) from the same family – the Yeti 4x4?
Apart from the slightly more powerful engine with AT, Audi badge and some additional comfort features, does the Q3 justify the premium pricing over the Yeti? Especially because, both the cars share same platform, internals, safety features etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
- If X1 looks like Om Puri, the Q3 looks like Boman Irani - a lot easier on the eye.
Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat
However, it is sad that Audi has changed their design direction. They used to make cars that looked understated and classy. But now they make cars that look flashy and bling.
I think it’s more to do with the choice of colour. The car looks subdued yet elegant in colours like white or blue.
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:30   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Why do 80% of the SUV road tests mention Ride Quality under "What you won't like" or "Against" or "Cons"? Is there an engineering issue with creating a SUV with good ride quality?
Very few SUVs get the ride quality & handling aspect correctly. To control body roll (due to height / high center of gravity), they need a firm suspension. If they focus on ride comfort, then the body roll is excessive & handling very poor (e.g. Tata Safari).

Two SUVs that have managed the ride & handling well are : Mitsubishi Pajero (old, not Pajero Sport) & Skoda Yeti. On the other hand, most others (including the Fortuner & Endeavour) suffer from a bumpy ride.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review Anshuman Rated the thread 5 stars.

The tail lights going up with the 5th door is kind of disturbing for me. It can be hazardous to open the tail door in pitch black darkness. The bottom reflectors will be useful, but nothing beats the warning and parking lights. Also, the absence of rear arm rest is a sore, but a negligible one at that. The rest of the car is too good. If they price it right, BMW will run short of nails to bite.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 23rd April 2012 at 09:34.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:55   #24
BHPian

It has been said before. But I will repeat. An excellent 5-star rated review there. Great job Anshuman.

An SUV weighing under 1.6 tons came as a shocker, yet your review talks highly about the build quality and fit-finish. Cost cutting is absent (except the missing rear seat center arm rest) which means the price point might a wee bit on the steeper side. Pricing will hold the key in pitting this SUV against the X1. If its priced around the 25-27L OTR mark, the Fortuner might have serious competition. The FWD variant might further increase the competition if priced well.

The engine sharing concept is a good idea. The torque and power numbers look good due to the relative light weight of this SUV.

Loved the bright orange shade on the test vehicle. The dark blue shade looks more sober and matches the personality of the vehicle.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 23rd April 2012 at 09:57.
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:27   #25
BHPian

Excellent review anshuman. One of the most highly awaited Team-BHP reviews, I must say. About the Q3, well Audi has surely got it right this time and the Q3 is leaps ahead of the BMW X1 in terms of design, interior quality and fit & finish (as seen in the pictures).

It really appeals to me as a pretty car and IMO it is quite a looker, unlike the quirky X1. The little things in the interior like the MMI screen popping out of the dash, the sporty gear lever and the gear knob with 'S-Tronic' engraved on it, the overall cockpit feel make this car highly desirable. Levels of equipment are also spot on, apart from the electric seats with memory function, I don't think Audi will leave any car buyer in this price point wanting more. The panoramic sun-roof is a nifty feature and is nice to have.

The only thing I fear is the pricing. It needs to be priced right, this car. I fear due to superior offerings above the A4, Audi will demand quite a high preimium over its price for the Q3. To think of it, Audi is offering, an engine with ~30bhp more power, 7-speed S-Tronic dual-clutch gearbox, Quattro permanent AWD system. Let's just hope this thing is priced under 35L OTR, then the price is justifiable if not mouth-watering. what worries me more is that Audi mentions this product is not in direct comparison with the X1, that furthermore indicates a vast price difference.

Old 23rd April 2012, 10:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Never, ever fill premium diesel in a German car. Regular diesel does just fine:
Any reason for this ? Is it that there is no benefit or does it cause harm ?
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

5* review! The X1 is a waste of time IMHO - a spacious BMW is an oxymoron unless we are talking to 7-series or X5.

The Q3 seems more SUV, looks way better, rides better, has a space-saver spare, better ride, 4-wheel drive, better interiors! They need to get the FWD variant, to kill the X1 completely! If only a better steering, this seems Audi's perennial Achilles heel!
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review. This baby SUV has everything that one would typically expect from a luxo-SUV. However, it all boils down to the pricing. X1 sells only because of the pricing; although people are aware of it's flaws and shortcomings. I believe Audi needs to bring their pricing in check, or bring in a lower variant, if it wants the Q3 to sell in numbers. Otherwise it will only end up competing with it's bigger brother, the Q5.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:14   #29
BHPian

Nice review .Anshuman, loved reading it.

I personally think this is a bit too small for the expected pricing. The BMW X1 has now got 3 variants including a mid spec 'Innovative' variant which includes almost everything that the Exclusive edition has except leather seats and 1-2 other not so useful features and saves approx. 3 lacs on the ex-showroom price at Rs. 29 lacs vs. 32 lacs for the exclusive edition.

If the Q3 is expecting a price in excess of the X1 (say 34-35 lacs), there is a serious issue because the Q5 base is approx. 38 lacs and the obvious cannibalization may render this exercise futile. I personally think that it is too small to command such a price and most buyers may only wait for the lower priced spec.

Looking forward to the upcoming BMW vs. Audi brawl! I assume that BMW will aggressively market its baby with nice discounts.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:15   #30
BHPian

SUPER 5 star review there, echoing most of the bhp-ians comments, if the pricing is right, its going to do great numbers, over the X1. However, the rear space is a bit of a let down..IMO

Most Viewed