Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 11:06   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Audi Q3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
For the price, if you don't mind the badge and the quirky styling, pick up the Yeti with your eyes closed, you will still get 90% of what Q3 delivers at twice the price.
Thanks Anshuman. That talks a lot about the Yeti’s quality. But even then I expect the Q3 to do better numbers than the Yeti, mainly due to the more pleasing looks and of course the Audi image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am also surprised that Q3 2.0 TDI is coming with 7 speed DSG. Both A4 and A6 come with CVT for models with 2.0 TDI engines. And isn't 7 speed DSG a dry clutch AT that does duty in Superb 1.8 TSI? I hear 6 speed wet clutch AT is relatively more robust than the 7 speed dry clutch AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I presume the 7 speed DSG is the same as on Superb but they have, post Mid 2010 manufactured vehicles, solved all reliability issues with that gearbox. That is why they had the confidence to place it in a flagship product like the Q3.
I think it’s different from the 7-speed AT in Superb. IIRC, the 7-speed S-tronic DSG is an Audi specific variation of the 6-speed wet-clutch DSG found in other VW group cars like Passat/Superb/Laura diesel, Golf GTI etc.
Old 24th April 2012, 11:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I think it’s different from the 7-speed AT in Superb. IIRC, the 7-speed S-tronic DSG is an Audi specific variation of the 6-speed wet-clutch DSG found in other VW group cars like Passat/Superb/Laura diesel, Golf GTI etc.
My mistake. Yes, though essentially quite similar, the Audi 7 Speed AT is slightly different from the one's shared by its VW group counterparts like the Passat and the Superb. Though it was VW group company which introduced the World's 1st 7 Speed DSG. More details on the 7 Speed Audi S-Tronic (launched in 2008) here - The new Audi S tronic 7-speed gearbox
Quote:
Volkswagen Group produces DCTs under the Direct-Shift Gearbox (DSG) name,[9] from the German: Direkt-Schalt-Getriebe.[78] It is used in all of their mainstream marques, including Volkswagen Passenger Cars,[10] Audi,[10] SEAT, Škoda, and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, and also its top-tier marque Bugatti. Audi originally used the Direct-Shift Gearbox (DSG) name, it now uses the name "S tronic" for its DCTs.[4]
The first ever worldwide series production DCT was the Volkswagen Group DQ250[9] six-speed dual-clutch transmission,[7] with dual concentric wet multi-plate clutches.[7] It was produced at the Group's Kassel plant[2][1] under exclusive license from Borg-Warner[4][10] for use in transverse powertrain installations, of either front-wheel drive or four-wheel drive (4WD) layouts.[7] The 4WD versions are fundamentally identical to the 2WD versions, but the 4WD versions use an additional bolt-on power take-off unit to direct engine torque to the Haldex Traction rear axle. This DQ250 variant is used in a wide range of models: Volkswagen Passenger Cars (Polo, Golf/Rabbit/Golf Plus, Scirocco, Jetta, Eos, Passat and Touran); Audi cars (A3, and TT); SEAT cars (Ibiza, León, Altea and Toledo); Škoda cars (Octavia and Superb); and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles (Caddy and T5 Transporter).
A second variant of the Direct-Shift Gearbox went into series production in 2008[8] – the DQ200. This consists of seven forward ratios,[8] but the notable difference over the original DQ250 is the change from wet- to dry-clutches.@#41#[8] This variant uses two single-plate dry clutches, arranged in a tandem design (instead of concentrically) and are therefore similar in size. The DQ200 is again for use in transverse applications, but is intended for use in smaller cars, with smaller displacement engines that generate relatively low torque outputs.[2][8][9] When used in the latest Golf with the 90 kilowatts (122 PS; 121 hp) engine, this new 7-speed DSG uses roughly 6% (5.9l/100 km for the 7-speed DSG compared to 6.3l/100 km with the manual) less fuel than the same engine with a manual transmission[8] and up to 20% less than a conventional automatic transmission.[8] The original DQ250 also remains available.
Volkswagen Group subsidiary Audi AG have also developed an all-new DCT - the DL501, for use in longitudinal powertrains.[9][79] Like the original transverse DQ250, this DL501 utilises dual wet multi-plate clutches, but unlike the DQ250, this variant uses seven forward ratios.[9] This DL501 variant made its debut in the Q5,[79] and also is used in the latest versions of the @#49#[79] and S4 (B8).[79][80] It is also be considered for use in an all new A6.[79]

Last edited by dkaile : 24th April 2012 at 11:58.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 14:28   #48
BHPian

Pricing is definetely going to be the Key and if priced around 22-24 Lakhs Ex S/r it would be a big Hit, anything above 28 Lakhs it would be too costly.
Old 24th April 2012, 22:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Nice review anshuman.

The launch of the Q3 just got me wondering that why would anyone buy the VW Passat after all??
You have more or less the same features in the Q3 with a classier looking interior and a badge that can make a common man (Volkswagen- peoples' car)- a rich man (Audi- actually it is the abbreviation for auto union but never mind) Yes the Passat has the park-assist and the superb climatic seats but you do get the same tune for the engine and the auto hold feature and the biggest advantage is that the Q3 is an SUV and those 3 letters do give you bragging rights if nothing else. I just wish the amazing climatic seats would have been added in this car as well.

BMW X1 owners do have a sportier SUV resembling a crocodile from certain angles but the Q3 is cute though not pretty looking nor butch and masculine IMO. Its like the Beetle of the premium SUV world and has a promising future in India atleast.
I beg to differ! Im guessing the audi would atleast end up costing 5-6 lakhs more. The passat also offers park assist, attention assist, cooling seats, more rear leg room, memory seats, rear view camera, paddle shifters, kessy and its famous blue-motion technology.

Just for the badge and the quattro drive system i personally wouldn't pay 5-6 lakhs more!

Then again, if audi decides it price it just a lakh or two above the passat then you would see many swaying the q3 way!

Last edited by vinj14 : 24th April 2012 at 22:48.
Old 24th April 2012, 23:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
I beg to differ! Im guessing the audi would atleast end up costing 5-6 lakhs more. The passat also offers park assist, attention assist, cooling seats, more rear leg room, memory seats, rear view camera, paddle shifters, kessy and its famous blue-motion technology.

Just for the badge and the quattro drive system i personally wouldn't pay 5-6 lakhs more!

Then again, if audi decides it price it just a lakh or two above the passat then you would see many swaying the q3 way!
when you say that pricing is the key factor. But think about it, VAG have the Passat sandwiched between the value for money Superb and the premium A4. Give or take a few features and one could either end up saving money by purchasing the former or get a way more premium badge by procuring the latter. They have just kept the Passat standing there waiting for takers rather than making it appealing or even promoting it for that matter.

Coming to the Q3. It is specially brought in the market to rival the X1. And I am sure you would agree when I would say that the Q3 spec vs spec will be slightly pricier than the X1. However, Audi will position it below the A4 (IMO) and keep the pricing attractive and thus bang on in the Passat price range.

My point is as it is the Passat is not making an impression on the sales charts and with this new offering by Audi, which is more practical than a sedan and cuter looking too, I think it has just rung the death knell for the Passat.
Old 25th April 2012, 08:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

Nice report. Comprehensive , detailed. Well done !
Was never interested in entry-level SUVs like the X1 & Q3. (especially since the q3 was/is being considered) but after reading this im convinced that it really does most things well !
Would be easy to drive and live with in day to day Mumbai traffic and power on tap also seems more than enough.
Happy to know.
You just changed my opinion,prejudice against an entire class of cars.
Old 26th April 2012, 00:05   #52

Such a wonderful and detailed report !
But with all the guesstimates on pricing , I sincerely feel that the pricing cannot be less than 30 Lakhs at least initially , as Audi has stated that it intends to bring the Q3 2.0 Tdi , fully loaded and as a CBU - so it is hard to expect the Q3 to set sales charts on fire immediately on launch.
Only After it is assembled locally and also the front-wheel drive only 140bhp petrol version is launched , we can expect it to be a tough contender to the X1 on the number of sales point of view.
Old 27th April 2012, 07:03   #53
BHPian

Great review.
Q3 seems to be a clear winner over the x1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Never imagined Audi having a realistic shot at overtaking BMW so fast, but here it is. Talk of the underdog taking the chequered flag first. The game is on, and complacent Mercedes has no option but to watch from the sidelines. It's compact SUV is a lightyear away.
Consumer is the king indeed.
And its not that big of a surprise that Audi has a shot of overtaking bmw. It was bound to happen considering how they have adapted to the market. Audi's have more gadgets than bmw and Mercedes, more comfort, atleast compared to bmw, lighter steering, LEDs in their headlamps to name a few. In a country where people are obsessed with value and aesthetic apeal (be it bollywood or cars, look matters the most) than the actual driving experience, it was only a matter of time when audi would compete with the bimmers and mercs.
Also, the Leds did the trick.

Bmw on the other hand, does not adapt to the needs of the local market. It is a very stubborn brand to say the least. No spare tire, run flats on all models, hefty steering, stiff suspension among others.
It would be interesting to see the numbers at the end of the year when the new 3er has made its way to India. I had a chance to check out the 328i and the twin turbo 2l is a hoot to drive. It has the great interior and now even the exterior has taken a major step forward. I believe it will be the best selling car in its segment by a huge margin.

Coming to the Merc, it is just lagging in every department when it comes to Indian Market. From technical stuff like the sluggish 5 speed gearbox on eclass to the models and variant they launch in india. I don't understand why MB would launch a CLS 350 instead of a CDI? And why havnt they launched the GLK to compete with the likes of Q5 and X3? Why does the current S class still has the dated version of v6 diesel on it?

Merc sales might pick up in few years since they have made some serious changes in the design language of its future products.

Last edited by Mike89 : 27th April 2012 at 07:07.
Old 27th April 2012, 07:17   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Audi overall has a better quality of finish and interiors than these 'made for India' beemers. That's very clear from a general fit and feel compare that I did one Saturday around a month back. In India I would certainly buy Audi, not Beemer! Of course I need to amass the necessary tiddlywinks to pay for the blighted machine but no harm dreaming I guess!
Old 27th April 2012, 08:07   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
Great review.
Q3 seems to be a clear winner over the x1.
At this point, yes!
But I guess that’s the reason for BMW to come up with a facelift for the X1 so soon. In a way, they themselves are acknowledging the fact that they have done some compromises with the X1. IMHO, traditionally BMW have always flawed a bit with their first iteration of the X-series of cars, be it the X5, or the awful previous gen X3.
Old 27th April 2012, 11:58   #56
BHPian

Thanks for the excellent review Anshuman. I was reading it and staring at the q3 for a long time. You have covered all the points. Looks like Audi has challenged BMW in India and with a very serious and hard to beat product like the Q3.
Also additionally thanks for highlighting the premium diesel drawback for modern CRDi engines. I didn't know that the premium fuels are damaging. I have filled that premium fuel just once I guess but then from now on I will ensure that it is the aam janta diesel that goes in any other truck / bus is also for my diesel car. That is also a piece of relief as I can fill up on any CoCo on a given highway since common diesel is mostly available on most pumps across the country.
Old 28th April 2012, 10:09   #57
BHPian

Looks like an amazing car! However, in my opinion i'm thinking the pricing will definitely be higher than the X1 counter parts - better build quality, higher engine spec + quattro. Even the A4 is roughly 3-4L higher than the 320d (if you'd opt for the diesel variant) and this should be no different. My guess is an ex-showroom pricing of 32-35L for the quattro is imminent! And the lower spec'd engine should be available at a tad bit under 30 (28-29.99).
Old 28th April 2012, 14:01   #58
Senior - BHPian

Anshuman - that's a great review - rated 5 stars.

After seeing the Q3 in Flesh and experiencing it, I agree with the general feedback - Q3 beats X1 on all counts - except probably cost. If i were looking at a premium compact SUV, this is just it.
Old 29th April 2012, 00:00   #59
BHPian

A quick question to those who have driven both: On the basis of comfort alone, is the Q3 better than a 5 series or an E class? X1?
Old 29th April 2012, 02:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

Great Review anshuman...

Does the Q3 have significantly more leg-space than the x1? I actually find the leg space on the X1 pretty poor (considering the price/segment).

Also, any idea what is the logic behind having hard plastic seat backs like the X1 does??

Last edited by AbhiJ : 29th April 2012 at 02:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks