Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2013, 12:45   #1531
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
I have completed roughly 15000kms in my Ertiga now.
I am having some difficulty with slotting in to reverse gear. Sometimes it gets resolved if I put it into 1st gear and then come back to reverse. Sometimes it gets really stuck. The only way is to move the car a little bit forward and then try again. I asked MASS about this but the SA could not give me a satisfactory reply. Some blah blah that engaging reverse gear is by design made difficult on maruti vehicles !! SA didn't have a clue about what he is talking. Anybody has this kind of problem ? What was the solution you arrived at ?
Also I find some minor sound from steering column but is not there always. Mostly I find it when maneuvering to park it inside my portico. May be I am able to hear the sound because of the quiet environment here. Don't know what to do since it is of transient nature. Not worried too much about this sound though since I used my FIAT Palio for many years with minor sounds from steering column. In that case also the service advisors did not have a clue!
Other than these minor issues, the vehicle is excellent. Recently I had traveled to HYD and back and it was a joy driving the vehicle. Comfortably cruised at 140kmph and occasionally going up to 160kmph. The top speed that I could touch was 165kmph and it looked as if that is the limit.
We have a Jun 2012 ZDi, covered 21k kms. Never encountered the sound you mentioned from the steering column neither any issues with slotting gears. There is however wind noise at speeds above 90-100kmph.

165kmph is definitely possible, but not SAFE on any roads. Also- expect a drastic drop in mileage.
Old 11th November 2013, 13:36   #1532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
We have a Jun 2012 ZDi, covered 21k kms. Never encountered the sound you mentioned from the steering column neither any issues with slotting gears. There is however wind noise at speeds above 90-100kmph.

165kmph is definitely possible, but not SAFE on any roads. Also- expect a drastic drop in mileage.
May be lady luck was smiling on you when they picked the vehicle for you !

I know, 165kmph is not safe on any road ! I also do not drive at such speeds. I only tried it for a couple of minutes to ascertain the top speed.
Regarding mileage, i do such trips very occasionally and my effort is always to reach the other end in minimum possible time, safely. (Not at min possible cost) Still I am getting around 15kmpl and I am happy !
Old 12th November 2013, 11:35   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
There is however wind noise at speeds above 90-100kmph.
With all windows closed, I too get a wind noise but only on the driver side & at speeds of 75 kmph and above. During 1st service due to my complaint they said they checked & refitted the beeding, but the noise has got slightly worse!

I searched this thread & there are such reports earlier also, recommending checking the right front quarter glass area/ rubber beading & right front door rubber beading.

Searching on Google in other forums, I find that this is indeed a recognized defect which needs replacement of the right front quarter glass beading. I have to get it done now (rather than wait for 2nd 5000 km service) since they havent replaced the beading during 1st service.
csanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 15:56   #1534
Distinguished - BHPian

Ertiga cruises to third spot in Indonesia.

Sales of the India-made Suzuki Ertiga show no signs of waning in Indonesia as 6,010 customers made it their new family car in September.The consistent sales have made the car Indonesia’s third best selling vehicle up till the 30th of September, at 51,301 units,

Toyota Avanza is the market leader in this segment.

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/11/s...osition-103849
Old 13th November 2013, 17:57   #1535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is however wind noise at speeds above 90-100kmph.
Checked this thoroughly yesterday cruising steadily at 80kmph on NICE road.
There is a bit of hissing noise getting into the cabin often depending on various conditions like direction of winds, while overtaking or following a truck or changing lanes.

At steady speeds, the wind noise could easily be identified from just one source as of now: The Front quarter panel glass area.

I turned off the ICE, Fan off as well and placed my palm trying to cover the beeding area of the Quarter panel glass. I kept moving my hand away and took it close to it and could easily realise that the wind noise was changing intensity.

I am mostly likely to check this over the weekend at home and try to plug the gap with some sensible option (If I find it viable to DIY).
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 11:55   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

I am mostly likely to check this over the weekend at home and try to plug the gap with some sensible option (If I find it viable to DIY).
They should replace this for you under warranty. I'm going to try the same. I wrote an email to the Service GM to put it on record.
csanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 13:15   #1537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Wow, that's a very good news
This hissing sound was delivered along with the vehicle. Now-a-days, Whenever I am starting for long drive, I used to switch off the fan, mute the ICE and check whether the hissing sound is available (after reaching around 80 kmph). If it's only the hissing sound I can hear, it will satisfy my mind.
When I went for first 3 services I gave this as a complaint and the SA always says they have done something to solve this. But it never got solved and now I stopped thinking this as a complaint as such
Old 14th November 2013, 16:01   #1538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanand View Post
They should replace this for you under warranty. I'm going to try the same. I wrote an email to the Service GM to put it on record.
Well actually even before I had the thought of buying the Ertiga, my visit to the ASC once revealed me this piece of information on the wind noise and how couple of customers have communicated about the same.

Though not a serious issue to bother about unless you ICE is turned off and you are coasting at 80-90kmph on that highway when everyone else is asleep and that hissing noise at times makes you curious as to where it is coming from deviating you from the driving fun.

Post the running in (960kms), I drove beyond 80kmph band and having read the reports here on the wind noise, I wanted to experience the same and I could related to what members have posted here.

I checked the same today when on BETL driving around 90kmph and I believe there is a small gap between the beeding and the quarter panel glass (one of the corners) from where this noise might be developing from.

I am sure I will check this very precisely only on the weekend when I get time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
Wow, that's a very good news
This hissing sound was delivered along with the vehicle. Now-a-days, Whenever I am starting for long drive, I used to switch off the fan, mute the ICE and check whether the hissing sound is available (after reaching around 80 kmph). If it's only the hissing sound I can hear, it will satisfy my mind.
When I went for first 3 services I gave this as a complaint and the SA always says they have done something to solve this. But it never got solved and now I stopped thinking this as a complaint as such
Yes Deepak. As I mentioned above, I really don't have bother about that hissing sound as it is something very minimal and negligible too. But yes, With a car that has comparatively better NVH levels from the Maruti Stable, this hissing is something that has amused us all as to why MSIL hasn't figured this out so far.

EDIT: Just keep your palm facing down on the quarter panel black plastic and keep repeatedly moving it towards and away from the plastic and you will easily notice the variation on the protrusion of wind noise.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th November 2013 at 16:03.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 12:06   #1539
BHPian

I have a query regarding our interest in buying the CNG version of Eritga - Green VXi. I have the below query, hope any of the forum members can help in.

The last row of this version does not come equipped with headrests. The sales advisor mentioned that it was to enable easy folding of the last row to make space for additional luggage as the CNG cylinder occupies the already miniscule boot space.

My query is that apart from looking bad, isn't it dangerous too in case of a rear end collision?! The absence of headrests can cause grave injury to the last row passengers. Is there a possibility of fitting headrests on it aftermarket or replace the entire row with a similar bench with headrests as fitted in the regular petrol and diesel versions of the Eritga?

Second biggest apprehension in going ahead with the purchase is the lack of the ABS even as an option!! This is really sad attitude from Maruti on not providing additional protection for a heavier car. I know there is no workaround this unless Maruti offers it at the factory level.

Also any owners of CNG Ertiga on the forum please chip in with their ownership reviews so it can help others to analyze their buying decisions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by trek : 28th November 2013 at 12:08. Reason: Grammatical Mistake
Old 28th November 2013, 12:16   #1540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Is there a possibility of fitting headrests on it aftermarket or replace the entire row with a similar bench with headrests as fitted in the regular petrol and diesel versions of the Eritga?
Fitting only the headrests is not a good idea as it will require skilled workmanship since one needs to fit clamps inside the sponge to hold the head rests.

Ideally, buying an entire third row (of Petrol or Diesel variant) makes sense after ascertaining if the frame is a direct fit and the stock holes/tread on the floor to hold seats can be used to fit these seats provided MSIL has not done any changes to accommodate what they provide as 3rd row for the CNG variants.

Last edited by paragsachania : 28th November 2013 at 12:20.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 10:22   #1541
Senior - BHPian

I read in a local auto magazine (FastTrack, Malayalam) that Ertiga Automatic is expected to be launched next year with a 1.4 liter Petrol engine mated to a 5 speed automatic gear-box.
Old 11th December 2013, 21:50   #1542

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I read in a local auto magazine (FastTrack, Malayalam) that Ertiga Automatic is expected to be launched next year with a 1.4 liter Petrol engine mated to a 5 speed automatic gear-box.
Even I read the same in a website. Anybody have more info on this?
Old 17th December 2013, 09:35   #1543

i have a ZXi Jun 2013. I have travelled with a full load of 7 adults and baggage comforatable, with good comments by all passengers. i have done about 3800 km, recently on starting up the power steering failure lamp indication came up and the power steering was not functional. I drove the vehicle in manual steering with no problems however. On switching off the enn-gine and on restarting the indication vanished and there was no problem thereafter. I got the vehicle checked at the Maruti service masters at Naraina, and they could not find anything wrong.....
Any suggestions? this is a cause of slight worry, as if some fuse or wiring was loose.
Old 17th December 2013, 10:13   #1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaygoa View Post
recently on starting up the power steering failure lamp indication came up and the power steering was not functional. I drove the vehicle in manual steering with no problems however. On switching off the enn-gine and on restarting the indication vanished and there was no problem thereafter. I got the vehicle checked at the Maruti service masters at Naraina, and they could not find anything wrong.....
We have Ertiga LXi since Oct-2012 driven for 12500 km. I had faced a similar issue when the car was new (Oct-2012). I got it checked at MASC they did not find any issue and just made sure that all connections and connectors are proper. After that I have not faced that issue any time at all. I believe you should not be worried, but make sure all connections etc. are proper for the steering.
panchi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 14:42   #1545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaygoa View Post
recently on starting up the power steering failure lamp indication came up and the power steering was not functional. I drove the vehicle in manual steering with no problems however. On switching off the enn-gine and on restarting the indication vanished and there was no problem thereafter. I got the vehicle checked at the Maruti service masters at Naraina, and they could not find anything wrong.....
Any suggestions? this is a cause of slight worry, as if some fuse or wiring was loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchi View Post
We have Ertiga LXi since Oct-2012 driven for 12500 km. I had faced a similar issue when the car was new (Oct-2012). I got it checked at MASC they did not find any issue and just made sure that all connections and connectors are proper. After that I have not faced that issue any time at all. I believe you should not be worried, but make sure all connections etc. are proper for the steering.
Both of these cases need to be taken very seriously. It can be dangerous if the Power steering stops functioning for whatever reason like a loose connection, Motor failure, ECU malfunctioning reading wrong parameters etc etc.

If you are on a highway, especially doing 80-100kmph speeds, this can prove disastrous in case you are trying to change a lane to overtake or get back after overtaking.

While your hands/shoulder/fists would have got totally adjusted to the right torque needed to twist the wheel, a sudden failure is something where your body will take time to react to to maneuver the wheel.

Try to escalate or at least let the higher ups know about this issue to see what they have to say.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks