Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 16:11   #1636
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
My two cents on the debate on the space. To me it is a spacious 5 seater and a very occasional 7 seater.
This is exactly the same line that I have been telling many who are looking for a 7 seater - That Ertiga for me is a spacious 5 seater and an occasional 7 seater and never an all time spacious 7 seater which was never my criteria!

So far, I may have used the 3rd row only for 2 trips that added 1200kms to the ODO in all and since we didn't have much luggage to carry and the trip lasted 300+ kms before we stopped, none of the passengers complained and neither did I have issues with the pulling power of the vehicle. That said, I still cannot compare it with car's zippy acceleration but then I never looked for a scorcher when I had a flexi 7 seater in mind.
Quote:
I am myself 6.2. All sat in well and we had driven about 120 kms. With the 3rd seat down the leg space in the middle row is as good as any car. The advantage we get with the second and third row down - well its a flat bed!
...And I am 6'3" myself and have read many instances where folks suggest not to think of the second row with the 3rd row folded for luggage. But in reality, the leg space that remains in the second row after folding down the third row (head restraints removed) is not bad at all to complain about for average adults.

I have posted various pics of the seating configuration including a taller 6+ footer in the second row and would like to post them here for the benefit of the readers:
6' ft and well built - You can see here that the 3rd row is folded and both the front seats are adjusted to my driving position

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-under-thigh_taller.jpg
A closer look at the legroom & underthigh support for a 5'8" tall passenger:

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-under-thigh2nd-row.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th April 2014 at 16:12.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 16:29   #1637
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
That Ertiga for me is a spacious 5 seater and an occasional 7 seater and never an all time spacious 7 seater which was never my criteria!

Correct. I thoroughly checked the Ertiga and enough space is there for a 5.9" person on all rows. Someone deliberately makes the feeling that Ertiga is not even a spacious 5 seater.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 7th April 2014 at 16:30.
Old 7th April 2014, 16:34   #1638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Correct. I thoroughly checked the Ertiga and enough space is there for a 5.9" person on all rows. Someone deliberately makes the feeling that Ertiga is not even a spacious 5 seater.
For me space at the second row was very important considering how I was graduating from WagonR. So I had to make no mistakes with this aspect, knowing that I travel 1000+ kms at a stretch with family who cannot give me stares at the end of the drive for picking a car that has no space in 2nd row.

I was surprised to read so many comments that its cramped in 2nd row with the 3rd row folded and hence I ensured to cover this in my review to benefit those who want to have a look.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 16:44   #1639
BANNED

Quote:
For me space at the second row was very important considering how I was graduating from WagonR. So I had to make no mistakes with this aspect, knowing that I travel 1000+ kms at a stretch with family who cannot give me stares at the end of the drive for picking a car that has no space in 2nd row.

I was surprised to read so many comments that its cramped in 2nd row with the 3rd row folded and hence I ensured to cover this in my review to benefit those who want to have a look.
This car has one the best packaging I have seen, that too from Maruti Suzuki.

Even with the last folded (restraints removed) and the front seats set for the height of 6 feet, the second is comfortable and not like the knees are pushing into the front passengers back.

Since the class leader in this segment is the Innova, space wise I feel both cars are head-to-head. Hats off to the engineers at Maruti.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 16:46   #1640
BHPian

Petrol Ertiga owners, how does the car perform when all the seats are occupied, A/C is switched on whilst driving on the highway? Is overtaking maneuver difficult at such instances? So far, I have had only one such experience and the car was new then. Now, a road trip is on cards and I need to know about this
Old 8th April 2014, 10:32   #1641
BHPian

I have a ZXI and have done 2 trips to Bangalore-Sringeri (the Chickamagalur - Srigeri stretch is ghat), once with 7 people and other time with 5 people and lot of luggage. I did not have any issues with the pulling, highway cruising or overtaking.

Another trip was with 8 people on the Magadi road. The TG Halli section is hilly region. Even here, i did not face any issues.

Rgds
Suhas
Blr_RK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 11:18   #1642
BHPian

I was talking to my mechanic the other day when he said that Ertiga is prone to suspension issues (rattles & bush wearing out). He said he has worked on 3 such Ertiga's in past 1 month that has not crossed even 10K KM mark.

Ertiga owners, any such issue that you faced or know of?
Old 8th April 2014, 11:31   #1643
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Wondering about this now. 10k and suspension issues? Mine is nearing 16000 kms and have faced none, no rattles as well.
Have known another Ertiga owned by a Bhpian (denver85) which clocked 50000 kms 2 daya before who also has not told me anything about such issues.

10000 kms is way too tender for suspension issues to crop up, that too with Maruti who know whats better for our roads since years!

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th April 2014 at 11:32.
Old 8th April 2014, 13:17   #1644
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobix View Post
I was talking to my mechanic the other day when he said that Ertiga is prone to suspension issues (rattles & bush wearing out). He said he has worked on 3 such Ertiga's in past 1 month that has not crossed even 10K KM mark.

Ertiga owners, any such issue that you faced or know of?
This can happen only if you drive through pot holes and brown roads at speeds like 70 - 90 kmph. Such drivers are top be termed as Maniacs!

10K kms is too early for any sign if trouble and if it does then it could mostly be a lemon. My dad's Ertiga is at 4400 kms and all is well.

"Rattles" are natural word to be used when "Maruti Suzuki" is in picture. This us a return gift to customers for buying their cars do nothing to worry.

PS: Can you give more details about those 3 Ertiga's that your mechanic is been working on? Can we know the exact issues being faced and pictures if possible too.

Anurag.
Old 8th April 2014, 13:52   #1645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was talking to my mechanic the other day when he said that Ertiga is prone to suspension issues (rattles & bush wearing out). He said he has worked on 3 such Ertiga's in past 1 month that has not crossed even 10K KM mark...
I think it's more to do with the roads than the design. If you drive through good roads, then suspension bushes can easily last a 50-60K kms or even more.

Quote:
...10000 kms is way too tender for suspension issues to crop up, that too with Maruti who know whats better for our roads since years!
I had my Swift D's first suspension overhaul done at 60 or 70K kms and second one in a span of 10K kms. The car was driven in my native after the first overhaul. It's all about the roads you drive through.

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2014 at 14:59. Reason: No SMS language please, thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 15:16   #1646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastichouse View Post
Petrol Ertiga owners, how does the car perform when all the seats are occupied, A/C is switched on whilst driving on the highway? Is overtaking maneuver difficult at such instances?
I switched to an Ertiga VXi from Fiesta 1.6. I can instantly feel the difference. I know I am comparing apples to oranges. But I don't get the feel of driving a petrol car in my Ertiga. I find it sluggish and it requires frequent downshifts. Second gear is the best! Overtaking shouldn't be a problem. But, please don't expect the petrol version to be a scorcher on the highways.

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 8th April 2014 at 15:17.
Old 8th April 2014, 15:54   #1647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It's all about the roads you drive thru.
Thanks mate! 3 cars, one mechanic and suspension issues at 10,000 kms is something unusual unless it happened to most of us. I can only imagine the roads to be very bad there and if so, they picked a wrong car not meant for bad roads for which Scorpio, Xylo or Sumo would do justice.

My WagonR's first suspension was at 73k and second at 147k. As of now, the set changed at 147k is holding good with a lot of abuse while the ODO is 215k. So I have seen the effect of good bad and the ugliest of road (where 2 tires developed sidewall bulges) that I am sure I know the effect of bad roads on the suspension!

I regularly inspect the bushes inside the bonnet and at the rear and also look for signs of leak in case of regular use on bad roads.
Old 8th April 2014, 18:00   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
^ Wondering about this now. 10k and suspension issues? Mine is nearing 16000 kms and have faced none, no rattles as well.
Have known another Ertiga owned by a Bhpian (denver85) which clocked 50000 kms 2 daya before who also has not told me anything about such issues.

10000 kms is way too tender for suspension issues to crop up, that too with Maruti who know whats better for our roads since years!
I have been following your ownership thread Parag (and of other as well) and I agree that I didn't found anything about any suspension issues in ownership threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This can happen only if you drive through pot holes and brown roads at speeds like 70 - 90 kmph. Such drivers are top be termed as Maniacs!

10K kms is too early for any sign if trouble and if it does then it could mostly be a lemon. My dad's Ertiga is at 4400 kms and all is well.

"Rattles" are natural word to be used when "Maruti Suzuki" is in picture. This us a return gift to customers for buying their cars do nothing to worry.

PS: Can you give more details about those 3 Ertiga's that your mechanic is been working on? Can we know the exact issues being faced and pictures if possible too.

Anurag.
Quote:
I think it's more to do with the roads than the design. If you drive thru good roads, then suspension bushes can easily last a 50-60K kms or even more.

I had my Swift D's first suspension overhaul done at 60 or 70K kms and second one in a span of 10K kms. The car was driven in my native after the first overhaul. It's all about the roads you drive thru.
I am from Gurgaon, which is known for it's share of good & bad roads and folks does driving like maniacs. Unfortunately I don't have any pics, the common issue across all 3 Ertiga's was front suspension bush had worn out. I'll try and get more details next time I'll visit him.

Quote:
3 cars, one mechanic and suspension issues at 10,000 kms is something unusual unless it happened to most of us.
This is exactly what surprised me Parag.
Old 8th April 2014, 18:10   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....I am from Gurgaon, which is known for it's share of good & bad roads and folks does driving like maniacs. Unfortunately I don't have any pics, the common issue across all 3 Ertiga's was front suspension bush had worn out. I'll try and get more details next time I'll visit him...
Could you also try to get the VIN / manufacturing month of these Ertigas? It could be that a bad part for a certain batch?
Old 8th April 2014, 18:21   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Could you also try to get the VIN / manufacturing month of these Ertigas? It could be that a bad part for a certain batch?
Will definitely try, though not sure if he maintains VIN numbers of cars since it's not an ASS.

Another point, if one have zero-dep insurance, shouldn't suspension work get covered in that? (sorry for going OT)

Most Viewed