Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2012, 16:57   #166
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Played with MS Paint a bit.
Personally i didn't like the rear glass of the Ertiga.
IMO it should be like in the picture,But going by that look, it resembles mini innova.
I don't think this design cue would have worked.

Why? Because it makes it look more like a van and less like a hatchback.

I think Maruti-Suzuki were going for a more youthful and less van-like look, while designing the Ertiga. They wanted it to appeal to the masses who may not like the 'Van-like' appearance.

I think Maruti has done well with the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Guys, any idea about Mini Xylo,Ford Ecosport,Renault Duster seating arrangement.
I am confused whether i should wait for Ecosport/Duster or go ahead with Ertiga.
I know they belong to different segment,but right know sailing in 2 boats.
The Duster and EcoSport are mini-SUVs. They are strict 5-seaters. I would expect the EcoSport to come with a small-ish boot (just under 400 liters?) but the Duster might have a larger one.

The Duster will be the larger SUV of the two.

The Mini-Xylo might come with a 3rd row. But looking at the 3rd row in the Ertiga, I don't think grown people would find themselves comfortable in that row. Especially considering the fact that Mahindra is aiming at designing the mini-Xylo as a sub-4 meter car. So don't expect it to be too roomy. The Ertiga should win hands down, in terms of roominess, over the mini-Xylo.

I say this, because the Ertiga is simply 200mm longer, and that alone should translate to more cabin-space.

At the end of the day, it boils down to what you want. Would you like a versatile 5+2 seater? Do you really require the extra 2 seats? If you feel that you don't require the 3rd row, don't bother with the Ertiga and look at the EcoSport and Duster instead.

What are your priorities? What are you looking for? A compact people-mover or a life-style vehicle?
Old 29th April 2012, 17:47   #167
BHPian

Yeah! The next Ertiga should be a crossover version that would really set the cat among the pigeons.
Old 29th April 2012, 17:53   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Yeah! The next Ertiga should be a crossover version that would really set the cat among the pigeons.
I believe Maruti-Suzuki are already working on something like that. It will also be based on the new Swift's platform. People say that it will be the replacement for the Gypsy. I'd hardly think so.

But still, would be a great car, and should cause quite a stir.
Old 29th April 2012, 17:59   #169
BHPian

I agree. I think Gypsy should grow from it's current pedigree. A Jimny localisation or a larger Jimny would be the next step for that.

I've seen enough plea's on this forum for a DDIS version.
Old 29th April 2012, 18:55   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the ertiga today at a newly launched Maruti Suzuki showroom. Here are my impressions:

#1: The car is really compact and the interior packaging is very nice. It doesn't look cramped, visually, from inside.

#2: The engine is super smooth. Crank it and there is virtually no noise inside and no diesel clatter. It's just like petrol.

#3: With 3 people inside, the car was pulling very nicely. The turbo kicks in nicely from ~2K
onwards.

#4: The steering is like a play station joy stick. Super light and folks used to a FIAT steering will find it a tad disappointing :-( It robs the car of that FTD factor

#5: The biege interiors, though make the car look visually airy & roomy, will be a nightmare to maintain. Not just from owners but even in service stations with mechanics & grease

#6: We tried all possible seating combinations with average Indian height folks & seating positions. All rows of seats had more than enough leg room. Only the width part was an issue with it being a tight squeeze of 3 folks in middle row

#7: The middle row back rest can be tilted as per your needs. A super duper feature that will make the rear seat recline all the way back for comfort (when you don't need the 3rd row)

#8: Remove the head restraints from 3rd row seat and the 3rd row can be nicely folded and extra 2" of leg room had in 2nd row

Overall, a super duper package from Maruti & a vehicle that will sell like hot cakes. The one possible downside for Maruti: Sales of Sx4 Diesel could drop like a stone. For the same price one gets a possible 7 seater vs a 5 seater.
khan_sultan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 19:47   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Test drove the ertiga today at a newly launched Maruti Suzuki showroom.
Thanks for the insights. Got any chance to compare the ride quality over bad roads?

OT: Which was this newly launched showroom and where? (assume its in B'lore)

w.r.t all suggestions as to what MSIL could have done to make the 3rd row better, the best solution was to have something inspired from Opel Zafira - by far the best packaging in an MUV worldwide.

Please watch from 00:42 onwards in the linky below.

Old 29th April 2012, 19:58   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Thanks for the insights. Got any chance to compare the ride quality over bad roads?
No. No bad roads. We drove on Hosur road from EC City all the way to Chandanpura circle & back. Forgot to add that during fast lane changes, the car held its composure very nicely & the middle row passengers didn't face any discomfort.

Quote:
OT: Which was this newly launched showroom and where? (assume its in B'lore)
Suraksha Motors @ Electronic City (Opposite Infy Glass Building)

Quote:
...w.r.t all suggestions as to what MSIL could have done to make the 3rd row better, the best solution was to have something inspired from Opel Zafira - by far the best packaging in an MUV worldwide.
Honestly, when you see the packaging in person & try it out, it really looks quite nice. For the purpose & target segment it is positioned for, the packaging is spot on with the size of the vehicle.
Old 29th April 2012, 20:36   #173
Team-BHP Support

Not a very clear picture plus the plastics might show it lil too cramped. This is with an average person seating position in driver and then in second row. Even 2nd row back rest could be folded down one notch for a relaxed posture.

Like Khan said i would give full 100 marks for this vehicle, my swift sounded like tractor compared to Ertiga in engine noise department inside the cabin and that pull was so very awesome. We almost were in double minds to cut a cheque for Sx4 diesel with the same engine Steering though was a big let down, felt soo very light compared to my car and then those beige interior!! man when will Indian manufacturers start giving some options in this department??. Maybe its the wider tyre in my car that gives a better feel.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-image2680601252.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th April 2012 at 20:39.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 20:42   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
No. No bad roads. We drove on Hosur road from EC City all the way to Chandanpura circle & back....
Thanks. Read elsewhere that the ride quality on bad roads is nothing great. Hence the q.

I'm about 11000km away from the closest showroom and hence at the moment holding my horses with whatever i get from team-bhp.. . Within 2 days of my being within 100km to a showroom, I would be taking a few test drives with a ready cheque in hand.

The new showroom sounds like a good option for MASS for all those who are in E-city, especially Infy folks. Being new, does it have any impact on the waiting period?

Last edited by vinjosep : 29th April 2012 at 20:44.
Old 29th April 2012, 21:18   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Read elsewhere that the ride quality on bad roads is nothing great.
Yes, it did tend to crash into small pot holes with some jolts, compared to my Xylo. But I felt this only on really mottled roads during my TD today, otherwise the balance of ride and handling is pretty good, and the car does feel very composed on undulating roads. However, do take a thorough test drive on bad roads, especially if you drive through bad roads often / daily.
Old 29th April 2012, 22:29   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612
Simple. If you plan to use it for daily commute, then Diesel. Else Petrol.
Why? Because it will be daily ordeal watching the fuel gauge needle (petrol) going down fast. While in case of diesel, you would hardly notice it :-).
You are right Ajay - beyond the math or logic of petrol vs diesel, there is the 'cost' of peace of mind - unless the pricing dispensation changes significantly, one will fret with each tank-full given how the fuel efficiency and price differential stacks up!

Meanwhile I took my first test ride today with a singularly ill-informed salesperson (thanks to this thread, my questions were largely incremental, but he was all at sea). The drive quality was good and the power train capable enough - I could best most of the ,Delhi
Old 29th April 2012, 22:36   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Yes, it did tend to crash into small pot holes with some jolts, compared to my Xylo. But I felt this only on really mottled roads during my TD today, otherwise the balance of ride and handling is pretty good, and the car does feel very composed on undulating roads. However, do take a thorough test drive on bad roads, especially if you drive through bad roads often / daily.
Thanks. Yes, intend to make sure before taking the plunge.

The factor of ride comfort (for at least 6) is more prominent for my long drives which will be a sure mix of very good to practically non-existent roads. So far have been able to manage without a 4x4 on these trips. Innova was so far the contender, based on a few of these trips on one. A final call, as and when I take a test ride of Ertiga...

No offence, but Xylo's ride (got one in the immediate family circle) is not even a distant match to Innova's for the routes I take. Though its a VFM product if you keep to moderate roads.
Old 29th April 2012, 23:54   #178
BHPian

@Suhaas307: that Ertiga will be a winner by a mile,if you compare it with Mini Xylo in terms of space usage.
As far as my preference goes a five seater with loads of luggage space, be it in form of MUV,SUV or Sedan will do.Preferably SUV.
I have booked DZire VDi, but i am fairly disappointed by the boot space and dont wanna end up buying a nothback with limited boot space.
I visited MS showroom today.
I have few concerns which are:
1.There is no privacy of the luggage or valuables kept in the boot or third row like we get in sedan.Well that's same for all MUV's, Suv's.
2.Rear door of Vdi/Zdi cannot be opened remotely & can be opened by anyone,if car is unlocked & only to lock it is by remote or by lock/unlock switch.Ldi can be opened internally.
3.Beige interiors and use of fabric in door trims.
4.No third row Split seat.
Any idea about launch of Ecosport?
Old 30th April 2012, 08:11   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No offence, but Xylo's ride (got one in the immediate family circle) is not even a distant match to Innova's for the routes I take. Though its a VFM product if you keep to moderate roads.

No offence taken

I did the comparo with the Xylo since it compares better price wise as opposed to the Innova,

If the Innova is within your price radar, then it would be prudent to go for it, if you need better 3rd row comfort
Old 30th April 2012, 08:33   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
No offence taken

I did the comparo with the Xylo since it compares better price wise as opposed to the Innova,

If the Innova is within your price radar, then it would be prudent to go for it, if you need better 3rd row comfort
Its a bit difficult to explain my requirement. The duties expected is a work horse capable of highway runs (ride comfort + luggage capacity for a single journey of 400 to 900km), moderate distance trips (ride comfort + passenger capacity - ~200km) and city use (5-70km).

Ertiga seems to tick off almost all the boxes on paper now. Considering the price diff & the DDIS fuel efficiency, its a better choice over Innova - again on paper for my needs.

Interestingly Innova also doesn't cater to my needs to the T . Only a sedan can fulfill what Innova fails to, in my case.

So I'm hoping that Ertiga gives me the best of both worlds.

Most Viewed