Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2014, 12:48   #1831
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuRowaine View Post

Recently my dad faced an issue with the vehicle, like when moving on a highway sudenly the vehicle starts slowing down (one can see some deceleration too), and the vehicle comes to a speed of 20km/h from almost a 100km/h. during which one has to downshift and ensure the engine does not stall.
When tried accelerating again, the engine revs in the usual way to some 4000 rpm in the tacho (u can also hear the engine revving), but then the vehicle never goes past 20km/h.
Even after all gear changes and switching off the accessories and AC, it keeps doing the same. This is kind of dangerous when moving among fast traffic. The only way this thing will stop is, one has to stop the vehicle, switch off the engine pull the key out and then start again. This time it is normal.
Hi,

I have a Ertiga 2012 Nov, even i faced the same issue around 1 month back,
exactly the way you have put it.
It came back to normal once the engine was switched off, and as usual the MASS was clueless.

Regards,
Vamsi
Old 25th June 2014, 13:12   #1832

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
Hi,

It came back to normal once the engine was switched off, and as usual the MASS was clueless.

Regards,
Vamsi
vamsi.. This thing has happened to me thrice and I have put in an enquiry with maruti directly. They have in turn directed the manager of the MASS in Trichy to look into it. Once I get my vehicle checked, I shall update details here. Hope something can be found and fixed.
Old 25th June 2014, 16:10   #1833
BANNED

Just purchased an Ertiga ZDi but facing some issues:
A. turbo surge is strong after 2.5-3K rpm. how is it possible to counter that uncomfortable surge?
B. Gearshift seems rough when upshifting and even downshifting to 2nd gear.

Last edited by kisharchit : 25th June 2014 at 16:19.
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 17:00   #1834
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Just purchased an Ertiga ZDi but facing some issues:
A. turbo surge is strong after 2.5-3K rpm. how is it possible to counter that uncomfortable surge?
B. Gearshift seems rough when upshifting and even downshifting to 2nd gear.
First of all congratulations for the Ertiga.

Now, When did you buy the car? How many kms has the car clocked?

To answer your doubts:

A. Accelerate gently, the turbo kick will come-in but not push you back in the seat. If you floor the throttle the turbo kick will push you in the seat. I mean when accelerating, press the pedal gently and gradually increase speed.

B. I hope by 'rough' you mean, hard shifting? If yes, then give the car time to complete the run-in period (1000 kms) and then things will get better. More the distance clocked the running-in will happen so the mechanicals will bed-in better to smooth out.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 13:41   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
Recently my dad faced an issue with the vehicle, like when moving on a highway sudenly the vehicle starts slowing down (one can see some deceleration too), and the vehicle comes to a speed of 20km/h from almost a 100km/h. during which one has to downshift and ensure the engine does not stall.
When tried accelerating again, the engine revs in the usual way to some 4000 rpm in the tacho (u can also hear the engine revving), but then the vehicle never goes past 20km/h.
I have faced the same issue with my Nov2013 mfd Ertiga vdi. The car went on auto deceleration from a speed of 60kmph to stand still. The engine failure light lit up. All this happened with a brand new car! Got the delivery on 4th feb'14 and the incident happened on 9th feb. I was totally heart broken and the first thought was I have got a sour lemon. Somehow I managed to drive to the roadside( in Delhi's traffic) and tried to restart the car. After trying for a couple of times the engine came to life and the first place I took it was to the service centre. They made a job card under complaint. Took the car and told me to come tomorrow. Next day I got a call from MASS saying that the car is ready. When I asked about the problem, they told me it was the bad fuel (kerosene mixed), which has affected the fuel lining. they cleaned the whole fuel tank and the fuel lining. After this incident I have covered 6k kms without a fuss.
Where did the bad fuel came from? It was the bloody dealer! COMPETENT AUTOMOBILE , Connaught Place branch, New delhi). The fuel used for driving the car from their warehouse to the dealership was kerosene mixed. The quality of the car is excellent. The only negative experience was with the dealer. Will mention about it in the ownership review(coming soon).
4k_jz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 00:25   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
vamsi.. This thing has happened to me thrice and I have put in an enquiry with maruti directly. They have in turn directed the manager of the MASS in Trichy to look into it. Once I get my vehicle checked, I shall update details here. Hope something can be found and fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
Hi,
Regards,
Vamsi
Quote:
I am a proud Ertiga Owner - Vehicle taken delivery on March'2013, in exchange for my Maruti Omni.
It has satisfied our family in everyway and has served well in all the trips we have made.
Our ertiga has clocked - 28500 kms on the odo, with some decent mileage figures. The Avg on the MID is always around 15.5 to 17 (even if driven the best way - trying to be economic).
Even after all gear changes and switching off the accessories and AC, it keeps doing the same. This is kind of dangerous when moving among fast traffic. The only way this thing will stop is, one has to stop the vehicle, switch off the engine pull the key out and then start again. This time it is normal.
This is the second time we are facing the same problem with the ertiga. It really is concerning and the MASS does not know why this happens. Both the times we have tried using the OBD to check any faulty sensors or any basic issue exists, but the OBD fails to pull up anything.
Some analysis - The engine revs, which means no problem in fuel delivery and combustion. If it is a clutch issue, the vehicle has to behave the same way always. but nothing like that happens. The console does not have any warning lights coming up either.
The vehicle has not been modified. one add on is the K&N stock replacement airfilter - maintained properly.
Tyres are at 32 and 33 psi on Nitrogen on the front and back respectively.
Tyres are stock MRF 185/65 R15.
I tried searching for the same issue reported by someone, but did not find any post. Is there any prior experience for anyone in this regard.
The same issue happened in my friend's manza recently. it has clocked 40300 kms in 2 years' time.
Hi everybody,its although disconcerting to hear all those Diesel Ertiga woes,if you guys have had searched on this very thread itself,you would have seen my posts 1 year back having the same problem.

My luck was low,as my Ertiga ZDi was the 1st in Eastern India to face the problem and I suffered for more than two months

Ultimately, letters to the MSIL Chairman and Managing Director resulted in MSIL sending qualified Service Engineers from Gurgaon to Kolkata and even they took a week to identify and rectify it. Touch-wood,since then I have no issues whatsoever,apart from a fixed mileage of 15.7-15.8 on the MID. Previously it was showing upto 19.8-20.4 at times,but after the incident,the mileage kind of got stuck at those figures.

The problem I faced was at 2895 kms of the car's life. It is due to a faulty wastegate solenoid in the Turbocharger assembly.
It is as if you are cruising normally or driving at moderately high speed,when there is a sudden palpable loss of power and the car feels heavy and ponderous.You switch off and then switch on, sometimes it does rectify on its own ( as it happened on my colleagues Ertiga VDi recently ). But thanks to MASS,they could not identify the problem and rectify it in the 1st shot as they were unaware of a peculiar thing. When I had my problem,they ( i e MASS) promptly changed my Turbocharger assembly, as it was under warranty. But, now things took the turn for the worse, the problem started recurring every time I took the car out of MASS for a test drive after the turbo replacement.
Do kindly see the code that you are getting on the Engine diagnostics. It must be P0243. If it is,then you know whats the problem and you can get it sorted in a jiffy as I had the same problem.
But these days,MASS knows this problem is occurring in so many Ertigas and they fully know the problem and gets it sorted quickly and giving a vague response to customer queries, all the time.

If there was kerosene mixed,there should have been problem right from day 1. Then there would have been white smoke emanating from your exhaust all the time with kerosene and the car would have stalled more frequently. Just to avoid bad publicity,MSIL is NOT recalling any Ertigas. They are promptly changing the turbochargers/solenoid on Ertigas which are coming back to the MASS, and does not clarify on the job done or the problem of car suddenly lacking power.
If the code is something else,then kindly check the huge Ertiga service manual books available at MASS.

As Manza drives on the same MJD Engine with the same VGT Turbo,no wonder it had the same problem of lacking power (lacking boost).

Did you guys see my posts on this problem here in this thread ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
The issue is with the car itself,as I said that it is at the MASS, after having the same problem again and again for more than a month .

To be exact, it is the famed Variable Geometry Turbo, which is the root cause of my woes. Will surely fill-in the details over the coming weekend.
Quote:
Unfortunately, I am having serious trouble with my Ertiga ZDi and it has spent more time at the MASS workshop than with me.
My Ertiga has clocked only 3055 Kms since January 2013, and I have written countless emails to MSIL and two identical letters, one each to Chairman,Maruti Suzuki India Limited and Managing Director,MSIL regarding the recurrent problem my Ertiga is having. Till date I have NOT GOT ANY OFFICIAL RESPONSE/LETTER from MSIL. My car is with the workshop for last one month,and I am plain disgusted with Maruti and its pitiful After Sales Service, the very reason I bought my 3rd Maruti.

I don't know whether I will write here, in this thread , about my problematic Ertiga or start a new thread in the "Initial Ownership Reports " . Mods please guide me. Thanks

Quote:
Thanks for the response guys. I still love my Ertiga and miss it dearly.
The very reason why I bought it, was NOT served on two occasions that I went out of town on long journeys,and on both these occasions, I had to turn to my trusted Zen Estilo ( which incidentally is another car from MSIL stable ).
Please bear with me to prepare a detailed incident report and make a thread,and then put a link here.
Thats the beauty of any forum and especially one of the world's best that is Team-BHP, so that we can learn through sharing .

Check out the pictures below. They are some not so sweet memories documenting my plight with a new car.

1) Engine Fault Codes on DTC
2) Replaced Turbocharger assembly 1st time
3) The turbo assembly sent under warranty
4) Engine malfunction light ' on '

PS - If you carefully note,every time the car lacks boost/feels heavy with lack of power,the MID shows a huge drop in Mileage figure !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-ertiga-fault-codes-1.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-replaced-turbocharger-1.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-new-turbo-assembly-kit-1.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-engine-malfunction-light-1.jpg  

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 30th June 2014 at 00:29.
ultimatechamp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 11:24   #1837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post

Thanks for the suggestion! Actually, I've been toying with that idea myself for sometime now. Honestly, I don't care about the mileage (lost track of my Ertiga's FE long back) but performance boost is a must. In fact I would have done it already if not for the situation I'm in where I may have to go abroad for a couple of years; that means I gotta sell my vehicle. If that's finalised, then tuning box option is out. If not, I'm definitely going for one even if it reduces engine life.

A quick question: Can I have a go in a car with this tuning box? I'm sure the dealer you mention will have one?
The tuning box is plug & play so though they may not have a demo car especially an Ertiga, they will fit a tuning box in your car. You can test drive it for a few kms & then if not satisfied, they can easily take it out. However, you may need to drive it in a place where you can really accelerate to see the difference (like on a highway). Also some tuning boxes may need some 50 odd km before the full effect is felt as they say it needs to adapt to your driving style. But on a short test drive you will still see improvement.
csanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 18:24   #1838
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on Transmission Fluid replacement Interval:

Not sure if someone has posted this in any of the other threads but MSIL has now confirmed Transmission Oil change interval from 20000 kms earlier to 40000 kms from now for all DDiS vehicles (Swift, Ritz, Dzire, SX4, Ertiga).

The Dealer workshop did not replace the transmission oil during the 20k Service of my Ertiga and quoted the above reason.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 18:48   #1839
BHPian

Quote:
I tried searching for the same issue reported by someone, but did not find any post. Is there any prior experience for anyone in this regard.
I have a Jan 2013 Ertiga ZD1 with close to 17K on Odo. I have had power loss on THREE occasions as under(happened under similar conditions) :
- I was driving on the highway above 80 Kmph
- I suddenly pressed hard on the accelerator to overtake
- There was a sudden jerk, considerable loss of power and the "Engine Warning" lamp lit up
- Turbo refused to kick-in but I could drive at 30-40 Kmph
- Went to the nearest MASS on the highway and they cleared the error with the hand held diagnostic tool. The "Engine Warning" lamp cleared only after this. At one MASS, the SA mentioned that this error could be due to the Turbo Boost Pressure Solenoid
- Vehicle was back to normal running condition after the error was cleared

Based on what you have mentioned, it could be related to a faulty Turbo. This is my two cents.
Aerobat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 08:28   #1840
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post

I have a Jan 2013 Ertiga ZD1 with close to 17K on Odo. I have had power loss on THREE occasions as under(happened under similar conditions) :
- I was driving on the highway above 80 Kmph
- I suddenly pressed hard on the accelerator to overtake
- There was a sudden jerk, considerable loss of power and the "Engine Warning" lamp lit up
- Turbo refused to kick-in but I could drive at 30-40 Kmph
- Went to the nearest MASS on the highway and they cleared the error with the hand held diagnostic tool.
Seeing the above behaviour, the engine has gone into 'limp mode' as the CEL (Check Engine Light) lit up. Once the codes were checked and cleared the engine was behaving normally.

Now my question to you is, since the SDT (Suzuki Diagnostic Tool) was plugged to clear codes, any idea what code was displaying on the screen?

Did MASS change the turbo solenoid valve and closer the matter or anything else was done?

Anurag.
Old 1st July 2014, 10:18   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Seeing the above behaviour, the engine has gone into 'limp mode' as the CEL (Check Engine Light) lit up. Once the codes were checked and cleared the engine was behaving normally.

Now my question to you is, since the SDT (Suzuki Diagnostic Tool) was plugged to clear codes, any idea what code was displaying on the screen?

Did MASS change the turbo solenoid valve and closer the matter or anything else was done?

Anurag.
On all three occasions, the SDT did not pull up any specific error code except for the CEL alert. The SA's (Bangalore and Mysore) seemed clueless except for the one (Tuticorin) who mentioned about the Solenoid issue. I got a feeling that they have seen several such issues on DDiS engines, but for some strange reason do not want to talk about it.

To me this happened under similar conditions of sudden acceleration (this is my first Diesel, my other car is a 2002 wagon-R). I realised that I need to handle the Diesel smoothly unlike the petrol power train.

No parts were changed. The CEL error was cleared and everything was back to normal. I have not had the error for more that six months now, even though I have driven long distances on the highway since the last occurrence.
Old 1st July 2014, 14:10   #1842
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post

No parts were changed. The CEL error was cleared and everything was back to normal. I have not had the error for more that six months now, even though I have driven long distances on the highway since the last occurrence.
Surprising nothing was told by the SA as to what the error code was flashing on the SDT so that the issue could be traced down to rectify.

But as you say, the problem never resurfaced again looks like havoc with the sensors and data.

Anurag.
Old 4th July 2014, 19:00   #1843
BHPian

My ertiga vdi went for 2nd service (5k kms). The mileage displayed on MID
1. before service - 15.7 kmpl
2. after service - 7 kmpl
3. after 2nd service driving for 1000kms - 11.8kmpl
Though the servicing was normal without any complaints from my side, only problem I mentioned to them was left side indicator not turning off on its own after taking the turn. So they removed the battery terminal to fix it.
When asked for the low mileage, they replied removing the battery terminal as the reason. I am quite sure this cannot be. Can anyone suggest what could have happened? Also after the 2nd service, the 1st gear has become quite rough.
Old 4th July 2014, 23:33   #1844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
Most likely a case where the MID's Average Fuel Efficiency meter gets reset if the battery was disconnected. Very normal
Quote:
And now, this is certainly surprising but:

If the MID remained at 11.8kmpl and you haven't reset this and driven 1000 kms under various traffic conditions, it does take a long time/kms to move up the numbers.

For instance, while climbing the ghats on the way back from Goa last March, I did some spirited driving to test the abilities under full load and the MID Dropped to 14.xx after driving for 60 kms in the ghats. Prior to this, the MID was around 16kmpl.

Now, we drove on proper highway for the next 500 kms with speeds between 100-110kmph and at the end of the journey I managed to make the MID climb by a mere 2.5 kms and the final display was 16.5kmpl.

So, from 14.xx to 16.xx needed 500 kms of driving at speeds of 100kmph. Would I have continued for another 500 kms, I am sure the MID would have displayed anything nearing 18kmpl.

If you notice, the sample is a good 500 kms here!!
  • What were the driving conditions in these 1000 kms? Bumper to Bumper, Highway, Spirited?
  • Did you by any chance notice if the Air pressures were no under inflated after this service?
I would suggest this:
  • Check Air pressure
  • Resetting the MID by long pressing the right side knob on speedo console when the display is showing Average FE
  • Drive for another 50 kms and then check what the FE is
  • Always reset the Average FE to Zero (Blank) during every refill
  • Better to check the FE by tankful-tankful (Auto cut off) method as well

Quote:
When asked for the low mileage, they replied removing the battery terminal as the reason. I am quite sure this cannot be.
This very well can be the reason as I explained above.
Quote:
Can anyone suggest what could have happened?
Lets give disconnecting the battery a doubt now till you try the above steps.
Quote:
Also after the 2nd service, the 1st gear has become quite rough.
The ASC would not have done anything with the gears under a general check-up. I assume you are depressing the clutch lever fully while engaging gears. How is the shifting to 1st after driving for couple of Kilometers? At times, shifting under cooler conditions is a bit hard till the car/fluids warm up.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th July 2014 at 23:37.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 09:24   #1845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
The pre & post service difference could be due to the battery being disconnected, as respected member points out. But in that case I guess even the trip meter should've been reset, so if after even 1000 kms the mileage shows 11.8kmpl - then it could be impure fuel. Refuel the car at a reliable pump & recheck.

If the trip meter wasn't reset during service, then the only reason mileage would drop to such an extent was if they've taken out fuel. Did you check the fuel level before and after the service?

Most Viewed