Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2014, 10:25   #1846
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
But in that case I guess even the trip meter should've been reset
I have noticed that its only the RANGE and AVERAGE FE that gets reset after a battery disconnect whereas the TRIP A & B remain the unchanged.
Quote:
so if after even 1000 kms the mileage shows 11.8kmpl - then it could be impure fuel. Refuel the car at a reliable pump & recheck.
Adulterated fuel could be a possible reason but 1000 kms with Average FE displayed at 11.8KMPL would require at least 3 tank fills (Considering the Range in city between 350-400KMS) with such low FE.

Quote:
If the trip meter wasn't reset during service, then the only reason mileage would drop to such an extent was if they've taken out fuel. Did you check the fuel level before and after the service?
Like I mentioned above, the Average FE doesn't depend on the Trip meter & the fact that the Trip meter doesn't reset on Battery disconnect.
Old 5th July 2014, 15:53   #1847
BANNED

Even my MID shows a meagre 14.1 kmpl after 1200 kms of driving. Will be giving for its first service on monday.
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 15:57   #1848
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Even my MID shows a meagre 14.1 kmpl after 1200 kms of driving. Will be giving for its first service on monday.
The average FE on the MID depends on the way the car is driven. If it is pedal to metal then low figures within a short period of time but if driven sedately the figures will climb.

My dad's Ertiga is giving an average of 16-17 kmpl every full tank. It takes the car 400-500 kms to get to a stable reading. The initial fluctuation is high depending on the throttle input.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 16:00   #1849
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The average FE on the MID depends on the way the car is driven. If it is pedal to metal then low figures within a short period of time but if driven sedately the figures will climb.

My dad's Ertiga is giving an average of 16-17 kmpl every full tank. It takes the car 400-500 kms to get to a stable reading. The initial fluctuation is high depending on the throttle input.

Anurag.
Could it be lower also because I forgot to reset the avg FE meter after the last tank full?
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 16:02   #1850
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Could it be lower also because I forgot to reset the avg FE meter after the last tank full?
Yes, it is possible if the FE is not reset after every full tank the readings obtained will have the previous "tank's" data too.

Check once after the service is completed. All the best.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 16:31   #1851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If the MID remained at 11.8kmpl and you haven't reset this and driven 1000 kms under various traffic conditions, it does take a long time/kms to move up the numbers.
The MID was reset at the service center. It showed 5kmpl only after some 30-40kms of driving. It was only after crossing 100kms, the MID displayed 7kmpl. The MID has shown an increase of ~ 4kmpl after driving for 1000kms.
Quote:

So, from 14.xx to 16.xx needed 500 kms of driving at speeds of 100kmph. Would I have continued for another 500 kms, I am sure the MID would have displayed anything nearing 18kmpl.
If you notice, the sample is a good 500 kms here!!

That means in order to increase the mileage you need to burn more diesel!
[list]
Quote:
[*]What were the driving conditions in these 1000 kms? Bumper to Bumper, Highway, Spirited?[*]Did you by any chance notice if the Air pressures were no under inflated after this service?
A large portion of 1000kms was city driving. That can be the reason for slow increase of the FE. But! the question remains the same- how could the resetting of MID relate to low FE?? The same engine which gave a FE of 15kmpl suddenly goes down to 11kmpl?
The air pressure is checked weekly at a reputed filling station.

Quote:
I assume you are depressing the clutch lever fully while engaging gears.
The roughness in the first gear came up only after the 2nd service. It was all good until the car went for the service.
Quote:
At times, shifting under cooler conditions is a bit hard till the car/fluids warm up.
Its Delhi and its hot as hell in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
. Refuel the car at a reliable pump & recheck.
If the trip meter wasn't reset during service, then the only reason mileage would drop to such an extent was if they've taken out fuel. Did you check the fuel level before and after the service?
The filling pump is reliable and that cannot be the case. Recently the fuel neck (the one starting from fuel cap to the tank was changed). The Fuel level was same as before.

Quote:
I have noticed that its only the RANGE and AVERAGE FE that gets reset after a battery disconnect whereas the TRIP A & B remain the unchanged.
Yes, only the average FE was reset. All the other parameter such as tripmeter and range remained the same

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th July 2014 at 22:07. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option when posting within 30mins on the same thread.
Old 5th July 2014, 16:41   #1852
BHPian

When is the fourth service supposed to be done for the petrol Ertiga?
Also, my car unfortunately leaked its engine oil a while ago which was replaced promptly with fully synthetic oil. For the next service, should I get the engine oil changed anyway?
Old 6th July 2014, 10:53   #1853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post
I have a Jan 2013 Ertiga ZD1 with close to 17K on Odo. I have had power loss on THREE occasions as under(happened under similar conditions) :
- I was driving on the highway above 80 Kmph
- I suddenly pressed hard on the accelerator to overtake
- There was a sudden jerk, considerable loss of power and the "Engine Warning" lamp lit up
- Turbo refused to kick-in but I could drive at 30-40 Kmph
- Went to the nearest MASS on the highway and they cleared the error with the hand held diagnostic tool. The "Engine Warning" lamp cleared only after this. At one MASS, the SA mentioned that this error could be due to the Turbo Boost Pressure Solenoid
- Vehicle was back to normal running condition after the error was cleared

Based on what you have mentioned, it could be related to a faulty Turbo. This is my two cents.

This is exactly what I faced and my Ertiga ZDi problem came to light. My colleague from work also faced the same issue with his Ertiga VDi , but it was resolved quickly at his MASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Seeing the above behaviour, the engine has gone into 'limp mode' as the CEL (Check Engine Light) lit up. Once the codes were checked and cleared the engine was behaving normally.

Now my question to you is, since the SDT (Suzuki Diagnostic Tool) was plugged to clear codes, any idea what code was displaying on the screen?

Did MASS change the turbo solenoid valve and closer the matter or anything else was done?

Anurag.
Do please read my previous posts on the same issue.
My question here is, does 'checking and clearing' the DTC ( Diagnostic Trouble Codes ) solves the problem ?
My colleague had the same problem with his car while on a holiday with his family. He rang me. A local technician (Not Maruti personnel though) could fix it temporarily,and after he came back,he took his car to MASS,and they could fix it,but did not give any satisfactory answer to what went wrong and will it recur again.Surprisingly, ti hasn't till date. So did they actually,change the code only ? Did they change the turbo assembly or only the boost pressure solenoid ? If the problem is still there,why changing the codes will rectify the problem ?
I had the same problem recurring again and again and again for 2 months ( read my previous posts on this kindly ). But afater repeated change of hardware,they could get to know that changing the codes were not done,after changing the hardware,and thus problem was recurring.They changed the code,and problem was solved.

Only problem remained till date was mileage on MID. Previous high figures were never reached till date. My car shows 15.7 whether I drive in very heavy traffic at prime time in Kolkata or even after a 1000 Kms drive on highway with family ( avg speed 110-1120 Kmph ).
Old 6th July 2014, 21:08   #1854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
...A large portion of 1000kms was city driving. That can be the reason for slow increase of the FE. But! the question remains the same- how could the resetting of MID relate to low FE?? The same engine which gave a FE of 15kmpl suddenly goes down to 11kmpl?...
I know not everything can be attributed to a damaged turbo hose but by any chance, has the car been under performing - Any reduced pick-up or excessive smoke?

Btw, since a year I've been using Android apps to track cars FE & other car related expenses. Try them, I guess there must be many such apps now. Android : FuelLog, aCar or iOS : FuelLog3
(Ofcourse the disclaimer : no way related commercially, don't know developers.)
Old 7th July 2014, 16:40   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I know not everything can be attributed to a damaged turbo hose but by any chance, has the car been under performing - Any reduced pick-up or excessive smoke?
The car is performing as good as it was before the service. No performance issues. I will try to monitor the FE through the app.
Old 8th July 2014, 18:49   #1856

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
Hi,

I have a Ertiga 2012 Nov, even i faced the same issue around 1 month back,
exactly the way you have put it.
It came back to normal once the engine was switched off, and as usual the MASS was clueless.

Regards,
Vamsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
I have faced the same issue with my Nov2013 mfd Ertiga vdi...

..The quality of the car is excellent. The only negative experience was with the dealer. Will mention about it in the ownership review(coming soon).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Hi everybody,its although disconcerting to hear all those Diesel Ertiga woes..

..PS - If you carefully note,every time the car lacks boost/feels heavy with lack of power,the MID shows a huge drop in Mileage figure !!!

The issue with my Ertiga VDi, showing the same symptoms like a few people have reported (sudden loss of power; jerks in between during acceleration; very very low mileage on the MID even after decent driving in highways)

The issue has been identified as a faulty solenoid. The solenoid tat controls the EGR valve and the Turbo wastegate actuation. It is located right above the front right shock absorber mount inside the bonnet.

The error code shown in the diagnostic tool is P0402. As per the technical service manuals provided by MSIL, this error is associated with EGR valve not closing once it opens, the turbo wastegate getting stuck at any position etc. Once this solenoid was replaced, my ertiga which gave an avg of 15.5 to 16.0 in all highway conditions climbed to a good 18.4 in combined 4 lane and 2 lane conditions. This avg figure stayed at 17.1 when i drove through the Ghat section from Schencottah to Kollam.

This has been a major solenoid fault giving me a loss of mileage due to the allowing of Exhaust gas into my inlet manifold always.

My vehicle usually has a change in the avg FE figures by 0.1kmpl only if driven consistently over 25 kms in highway conditions. Now its varying in very low stints and am happy about the same.

After the change of the faulty solenoid, I have driven 1380 kms and there is considerable incerase in the mileage and no symptoms of turbo boost pressure loss.
ManuRowaine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 21:47   #1857
BHPian

Just wanted to know what would happen if diesel Ertiga is kept idle(unused) for a couple of months. My requirement is such that i might have to keep the vehicle idle for a couple of months. Due to this i am not able to decide whether to go for the diesel version or the petrol version. I have heard that the diesel vehicle shouldnt be kept idle for long time. Is it true ? Has any diesel ertiga owner experienced anything with related to this ?
Old 14th July 2014, 22:19   #1858
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Just wanted to know what would happen if diesel Ertiga is kept idle(unused) for a couple of months. My requirement is such that i might have to keep the vehicle idle for a couple of months. Due to this i am not able to decide whether to go for the diesel version or the petrol version. I have heard that the diesel vehicle shouldnt be kept idle for long time. Is it true ? Has any diesel ertiga owner experienced anything with related to this ?
You can but is it that no one could start the engine for a while when you are not around than leaving it dead idle?

Couple of month should not be any much problem.

Anurag
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 14:01   #1859
Team-BHP Support

Maruti Suzuki has rolled out a Limited Edition variant of the Ertiga to celebrate the sale of 1,50,000 units of the car in the Indian market. The Limited Edition will be available in petrol, diesel and CNG variants at the company's dealerships across the country.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Old 15th July 2014, 14:09   #1860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Maruti Suzuki has rolled out a Limited Edition variant of the Ertiga to celebrate the sale of 1,50,000 units of the car in the Indian market. The Limited Edition will be available in petrol, diesel and CNG variants at the company's dealerships across the country.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
They have also launched a "football edition" . This is probably the first time I am seeing two limited editions being sold simlutaneously.

Dealers still very much stock the football edition in chennai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks