Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2017, 12:38   #3136
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
Hello All

My 2014 Ertiga Zxi goes for 40k service soon. How much would it cost me for this ? Also my gear knob is scratched and overall looks shabby. I would like to change that along with the service. Any thoughts on price and availability .Also please recommend a good service center in Medavakkam area ( Chennai). I have used Vishnu cars for the 30k service and they are so-so . A little lazy and ignorant.

The Gear Knob of the Ertiga does get easily scratched. My ZXI (2014) had a scratched Gear Knob in one year and I got it replaced under warranty in 2016 from Pasco Gurgaon. It though only costs 300-350 rs. The service cost for 40,000 service would be in the tune of 6,000-8,000 in case your Brake pads are not changed.
Shwet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 14:13   #3137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
I remember a member Probably Parag had mentioned about getting a metal engine guard fitted on the ertiga. I think it's a great initiative and one must get it. The Ertiga needs an engine guard as even stray stones can sometimes hit some uncovered parts of the engine.

If I remember correctly that sump guard was fitted in Bangalore, I am yet to come across any such job being done in Gurgaon or Delhi NCR, if it is available , I would definitely get it done.
I installed a sump guard on my Ertiga. It was made out of 3mm steel sheet used for truck body building and weighs around 7.5kg, and can be removed by removing 6 bolts. Ventilation to oil sump was a major concern for me, so I left few gaps at the rear side of the plate and on the other side of the sump. There is approximately 1 inch gap between bottom of sump and the guard.

Havent finished the work yet, I thought of using it for few days and observe the engine/oil temperature levels and accordingly will make few more holes if needed along with basic black painting.

Here are some pics. Will upload better pics when I get the car on top of a lift next time.

Before state
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-03.jpg

After state
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-02.jpg

Sump guard construction
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-01.jpg
arjithin is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 08:47   #3138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I installed a sump guard on my Ertiga. It was made out of 3mm steel sheet used for truck body building and weighs around 7.5kg, and can be removed by removing 6 bolts. Ventilation to oil sump was a major concern for me, so I left few gaps at the rear side of the plate and on the other side of the sump. There is approximately 1 inch gap between bottom of sump and the guard.

Havent finished the work yet, I thought of using it for few days and observe the engine/oil temperature levels and accordingly will make few more holes if needed along with basic black painting.

Here are some pics. Will upload better pics when I get the car on top of a lift next time.
@arjithin, can you share the dimensions of the sheet?
Old 14th August 2017, 08:53   #3139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobix View Post
@arjithin, can you share the dimensions of the sheet?
The final dimensions are not taken, but we started with a 3x2 sheet and after marking the holes to bolt on to chassis, rest was cut out.

I will post the final measurements in 2 weeks time.
Old 14th August 2017, 15:51   #3140
BHPian

Quote:

Before state
Attachment 1666181

After state
Attachment 1666183

Sump guard construction
Attachment 1666182
Wonderful @Arjithin, Where did you get this job done? Was this done at a local mechanic or at a place known to you? I think it's a good investment and definitely makes the car safer. How i wish Maruti at least gave this as an MGA option.
Old 14th August 2017, 15:53   #3141
BHPian

Also I just wanted to ask the members here? Normally at what RPM does your car touch 100 KMPH in the Petrol ertiga. Mine has always hit 100 at 3000 RPM or so. Has been like this right from the start.
Old 14th August 2017, 16:14   #3142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
Wonderful @Arjithin, Where did you get this job done? Was this done at a local mechanic or at a place known to you? I think it's a good investment and definitely makes the car safer. How i wish Maruti at least gave this as an MGA option.
Got this done at a local bosch FNG. It can be done anywhere, as its a straight forward job. We used the existing holes in vehicle frame to load the sheet.

Costed Rs 3800; this could have been lower with a bit more planning from the mechanic's side; but thats ok.
Old 24th August 2017, 12:38   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Does anybody have a solution for poor front glass wiper quality for ertiga? Today while returning home in dark it was raining and ertiga wipers could not clear the glass well. When the wiper rubs across the glass there is thin film or something on whole glass. This goes away if I stop the wiper. It is very pathetic when a car with high beams come from opposite side. I had seen same issue with my estilo. Is it a common issue with Matuti cars? I have not seen this with Hyundai cars. I tried blowing cold air from the defogger setting as well but it did not help. This makes night driving an issue in rains. My ertiga is hardly 8 months old for the rubber to get hard and always parked in basement parking for whole day. Any suggestions?
Quote:
I have exactly the same issue on my Ertiga too. Thinking that its a wiper issue I tried Bosch and some other brand wipers, but no change; It happens mostly in heavy rain and the film disappears in a second or so irrespective of how the blower is used. The thin water film is formed on the outside of the glass.

I believe Rajiv has a new Ertiga, so wipers should be good.

Here is a video of the problem from my dashcam. AC is on, not very cold, but almost same temperate as outside.

You can see that the thin film is formed outside as soon as the wiper sweeps the glass and any waterdrop falling on top of the glass is removing the thin film.

The wiper is Bosch made and brand new (1 week old) .

Old 24th August 2017, 12:49   #3144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can see that the thin film is formed outside as soon as the wiper sweeps the glass and any waterdrop falling on top of the glass is removing the thin film.
Now that I could see the video, I noticed what you were talking about and I have to say that this happens in my car too but every time this has happened, I have turned on the Heater, left at the windscreen position for at least 2 minutes to see the real effects. Once this "film" clears, I would turn the Temp knob to 50% and the blower position to cabin side and after that its business as usual.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 22:16   #3145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Now that I could see the video, I noticed what you were talking about and I have to say that this happens in my car too but every time this has happened, I have turned on the Heater, left at the windscreen position for at least 2 minutes to see the real effects. Once this "film" clears, I would turn the Temp knob to 50% and the blower position to cabin side and after that its business as usual.
Yes I think that should work too. It is caused due to a difference in temperature inside and outside the car. And this happens more so during the rains. Had faced a similar problem few months back while on the highway. Balancing the inside and outside temperatures did set things right.

Thanks,
Yash
Yash98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 05:47   #3146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash98 View Post
Yes I think that should work too. It is caused due to a difference in temperature inside and outside the car. And this happens more so during the rains. Had faced a similar problem few months back while on the highway. Balancing the inside and outside temperatures did set things right.

Thanks,
Yash
But I have never seen such behaviour with Hyundai cars including santro and i10 grand. Really interested in knowing what different is there in Maruti car glass if known to anybody. I avoid or rather scared to drive any maruti car in night when it rains.
Old 27th August 2017, 07:22   #3147
BHPian

Quote:
But I have never seen such behaviour with Hyundai cars including santro and i10 grand. Really interested in knowing what different is there in Maruti car glass if known to anybody. I avoid or rather scared to drive any maruti car in night when it rains.
I do not think it has anything to do with car brand or the glass type. Like I said earlier it is caused due to difference of temperature inside and outside the car. I have seen it happen in all cars ranging from Honda, Mitsubishi and even Hyundai.

Thanks,
Yash
Yash98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 16:06   #3148
BHPian

Folks,

I have been enjoying peaceful ownership of my Ertiga ZDi for ~3 years now. Got the 3 years / 30K kms paid service recently @ an ODO of 27425.

Key summary of the work done
  • Usual 30K service with Oil, Oil Filter, Cabin Air Filter replacement & brakes check/clean
  • Wheel balancing, alignment & rotation not included as I get it done outside.
  • My complaint regarding driver side seat-belt not retracting quickly after release was attended to. Need to see if the fix sustains.
  • Interestingly the SA told me that the seat-belt replacement (if needed) won't be covered in extended warranty. Is he right? I was surprised to know!
  • Car was not water washed, but some sort of chemical wash was done. Results weren't bad! Is this the case all over Bangalore as my SA claimed?

The cost came up to Rs.6445/-. I hope this is the ballpark price range for the work mentioned above. Let me know if its higher than expected.

Lastly, I noticed that, Brake check & clean is charged separately from the regular service charge. Is this the case with all the service centers? Why isn't this included in the standard 30K service charge itself?

Last edited by naut : 31st August 2017 at 16:07.
Old 31st August 2017, 16:22   #3149
BHPian

Quote:
But I have never seen such behaviour with Hyundai cars including santro and i10 grand.
I don't think it has anything to do with car/brand.
It happens with my Santro Xing, as well as Ford Aspire which belongs to my colleague.
Old 7th September 2017, 17:16   #3150
BHPian

Something which I have noticed for some time is that the Tailgate of the Ertiga is paper thin. You don't get this feeling with the doors, especially the front ones which are quite heavy. However whenever you close the tailgate it sounds incredibly tinny and flimsy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks