Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2017, 09:21   #3166
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash98 View Post
Hi guys, I have been facing a problem recently with the rear view mirrors on my Ertiga. I feel that the blind spot is extremely large and it is often difficult to view the left most lane on wide highways like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway while changing lanes. I was planning to get blind spot mirrors to solve this problem. Has anyone else faced a similar problem and is there a simpler way to solve it???
Adding blind spot mirrors is a good idea but I would recommend to turn your neck to that side (a.k.a. rubber necking or looking over shoulder) before making any turn to see if anything is in the way. I use this practice and it proved to be always working no matter what size the car is of. In fact in countries like USA during a driving test (for driving license) if you do not follow this practice they will fail you majestically
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 02:39   #3167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Adding blind spot mirrors is a good idea but I would recommend to turn your neck to that side (a.k.a. rubber necking or looking over shoulder) before making any turn to see if anything is in the way. I use this practice and it proved to be always working no matter what size the car is of. In fact in countries like USA during a driving test (for driving license) if you do not follow this practice they will fail you majestically
Yes, that is what I do all the time while changing lanes at least on larger roads. Thought the mirrors might improve visibility a bit since rubber necking causes attention to be diverted from the road ahead, even though for a short while. But I guess it would be better to do without them as I am worried that a shoddy fitting job will spoil the original mirrors too.

Thanks,
Yash
Old 22nd September 2017, 15:18   #3168
BHPian

I have noticed that the K 14 engine in its earlier detuned avatar was much better to drive than the current one. One of my colleagues has a 2016 Ertiga ZXI and i found it to be a little sluggish and not as rev happy as my 2014 ZXI.

The specs of the 2015 ertiga show a max power of 91.7 bhp, while the earlier ertiga was rated at 94 bhp.

I really did not pay much attention to it , however on driving the new iteration of the ertiga was surprised that the new powertrain feels a bit sluggish. Maybe Maruti has detuned the engine a little to increase fuel efficiency. The new version of the K 14 is rated as more fuel efficient.

Why can't maruti improve the power of the engines while keeping its fuel efficiency the same? A case in point is the ivtec series of Honda. That engine remains the only saving grace of the new city.
Old 22nd September 2017, 16:35   #3169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Here is a video of the problem from my dashcam. AC is on, not very cold, but almost same temperate as outside.

You can see that the thin film is formed outside as soon as the wiper sweeps the glass and any waterdrop falling on top of the glass is removing the thin film.

The wiper is Bosch made and brand new (1 week old) .
Formation of thin layer of oil on the wind shield can cause this problem. Especially after long drive on highways.

Try smearing toothpaste on the glass evenly all over and wipe it off with news paper. That should do the trick.
Tell me if it worked for you.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th October 2017 at 23:13. Reason: Plese avoid quoting videos. Thank you!
Old 22nd September 2017, 16:56   #3170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
Maybe Maruti has detuned the engine a little to increase fuel efficiency. The new version of the K 14 is rated as more fuel efficient.
Absolutely. The earlier ARAI was 16.2KMPL and now it is 17.5KMPL . But infact if you are lightfooted driver, you can get 19KMPL on highway as it is my personal experience. Also Ertiga being a van or people carrier, is not expected to be revved hard and should be a smooth cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
Why can't maruti improve the power of the engines while keeping its fuel efficiency the same? A case in point is the ivtec series of Honda. That engine remains the only saving grace of the new city.
I doubt if that is possible with cars of size and weight of Ertiga, more power might lead lower FE.
Old 5th October 2017, 08:41   #3171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is very much in line with the sound that the ASC had described earlier for which they has issued this silent recall in 2014 through a circular.
Your description of the noise somehow matches the noise the ASC had explained to me earlier for which they were replacing the suspension beam. But that was limited to vehicles with VIN cut-off mentioned earlier. I am surprised how this can crop-up in your car which is 2016 Model.
Hi Paragbhai,

Finally got the axle and suspension part of my ertiga replaced at Pratham Motors ORR. I met Surakshaa (Koramangala, Mr. Shyam) people too but since they asked me to come back on some weekday I had to drop that idea, firstly it is not so nearby and secondly project pressures in office.
Yesterday Partham Motors replaced the complete rear suspension axle assembly (that's what they told me as part name) under warranty. The cost was around 12K but I had to pay nothing. It should be interesting to know if anybody else also sees this problem as it was eliminated by Maruti long back, or only I got some old stock part for my Ertiga
Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 13:30   #3172
Senior - BHPian

Took my Ertiga to Leh/Ladak and returned to Bangalore without any incidents. Vehicle performed brilliantly, not even a puncture or an air top up.
  • We were three adults, our luggage for 18 days, food supplies and around 60L of diesel in Ladak region for some 600km (equivalent to 5+ people load, and an overhead carrier)
  • The sump guard fabricated did its job very well. It took most of the under body hits which would have been on the sump otherwise. It needed a straightening in between.
  • Average mileage in highways was around 17 and on hills around 15
  • As expected, car suffered power loss and white/blue smoke every time it crossed 4200 m altitude
  • Crossing passes above 4000m altitude needs some skills to use clutch & momentum. The service ad visor at Leh showed me how to do that and practice on their ramp !
  • Got the car checked in Leh once before entering remote areas and later on at Agra for a wheel alignment
  • Made a make shift bed for one person using 6 mm plywood and thick blankets and that helped us relax while on move
  • We did 1700km in 24 hrs on day 1, and were not tired !!
  • Wished car had some more ground clearance at many places, 200 mm (no load) wasn't good enough on those terrains. And as a result had to drive over stones than taking it below car.
  • car saw temperatures upto -7 degrees and snowfall at multiple passes. Early morning starting at -5 degrees took few cranks. (Battery was changed before the trip)
  • Had 2 panic braking situations, but car was stable.
  • New airfilter was installed before the trip and it was cleaned at Leh ( and after every dusty pass). Another new one was installed once we are back at Chandigarh.
  • Carried few spares like fuses/fan belts/relays etc, luckily nothing was needed. Will return to my service center (not paid yet)
  • Now a good interior cleaning is required
  • Rain was there on onward and return journeys.

Special thanks to Parag & Rajain for their help with this trip

Few random photos for your viewing pleasure, a travelogue coming later
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-016.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-024.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20170924_111042296.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20170924_174551832.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20170925_153326402.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-dsc_5302.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20170925_115048776.jpg  

Last edited by arjithin : 5th October 2017 at 13:46.
arjithin is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 14:50   #3173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Took my Ertiga to Leh/Ladak and returned to Bangalore without any incidents. Vehicle performed brilliantly, not even a puncture or an air top up.
Glad to know arjithin about your trip to the Himalayas that was uneventful and happy to hear the Ertiga too performed without any issues.

Quote:
[*]The sump guard fabricated did its job very well. It took most of the under body hits which would have been on the sump otherwise. It needed a straightening in between.
I guess this was one of the most sensible decision taken by you before you headed towards here. The sump guard indeed saved the sump. When we had driven in the Linea, we managed to bend the sump guard and then deform the sump. We realised the guard was bent when we got it washed at Maruti ASC in Leh town but learnt that the sump had suffered damage only when it was serviced in Bangalore.

If I recollect it right, my friend then bought the sump from MGP as it was a direct fit and got it fixed in Bangalore later. The guard however was straightened and fixed back.

Quote:
[*]Average mileage in highways was around 17 and on hills around 15
I would say this is very reasonable. The cumulative average for this entire trip with varied road conditions that you took can be called good even if its between 14-15 KMPL.

Quote:
[*]As expected, car suffered power loss and white/blue smoke every time it crossed 4200 m altitude
Completely concur and I can very well recall our experience driving here with smoking exhausts every now and then. Along with us was a self drive Innova too that 3 friends had been driving from Delhi and we noticed smoke from that as well.

Quote:
[*]Crossing passes above 4000m altitude needs some skills to use clutch & momentum. The service ad visor at Leh showed me how to do that and practice on their ramp !
Yeap! Had warned you not to end up burning your clutch in doing so and glad you managed the show pretty well.

Quote:
[*]We did 1700km in 24 hrs on day 1, and were not tired !!
Guess a steady pace, good on timing strategy with respect to departure, break and arrival are key rather than the car itself. Beyond that, you the Ertiga has anyway been an able highway cruiser, all day long or more than that.

I can't forget my drive from Rajkot to Bangalore with my parents aged 60+ for over 27 Hours and they never had any complaints after the drive. I think this has also got to do with acclimatizing with such long runs and they were always experienced when it came to this. And as I told you when we spoke, like minded company matter a lot, a lot more than one can think. These journeys becomes a success only if we have such fellow travelers.

Quote:
Early morning starting at -5 degrees took few cranks. (Battery was changed before the trip)
And how was the feeling as soon the engine came to life? Panicky ?? The way the engine noise is and the time it takes to settle (almost 30 minutes for the temp needle to reach halfway mark) makes one think if the engine is done and dusted!

Quote:
Special thanks to Parag & Rajain for their help with this trip
Anytime! I guess this is what we all are here for. Share our experience.
Quote:
Few random photos for your viewing pleasure, a travelogue coming later
Looking forward to that.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 15:56   #3174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Early morning starting at -5 degrees took few cranks. (Battery was changed before the trip)
And how was the feeling as soon the engine came to life? Panicky ?? The way the engine noise is and the time it takes to settle (almost 30 minutes for the temp needle to reach halfway mark) makes one think if the engine is done and dusted!
Not really a panicky situation. Car needed slight accelerator input for first few seconds, emitted some smoke and within a minute was idling normally.
But the taxi Xylos and innovas parked beside needed few minutes of cranking.

Two points I forgot to mention on high altitude behavior ( 3000m+)
1. When we switch on the key to ON (after ACC) first time in the morning, some priming sound used to come from dashboard side. (like the diesel pump priming, but something else). it went away once we are back at Manali.

2. The diesel pump was audible from the cabin when car turbo was on; went away once we are at Manali.
arjithin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 08:34   #3175
Senior - BHPian

Are there any better 55/60 Watt headlamps for Ertiga other than stock that will give me better light in night and will not void any warranty as well? I do not wish to tamper any circuits but can definitely change the lamps that are allowed with better light output.
I am sick of the low beams of ertiga, there is virtually no light, I need to use high beams with the angle adjusted to lowest position to see something ahead
Old 6th October 2017, 13:05   #3176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Are there any better 55/60 Watt headlamps for Ertiga other than stock that will give me better light in night and will not void any warranty as well?
Likes of Philips XV or Osram NB+ that promise better output with same wattage than stock but almost cost thrice than the normal bulbs. Not to forget that they have a history of fusing off quite frequently.

Quote:
I do not wish to tamper any circuits but can definitely change the lamps that are allowed with better light output.
The upgrade kit where you can use higher wattage bulbs (100/90) is a simple plug and play and you are really not tampering any wiring or circuit here. The relay and fuses as part of the kit take care of the extra load and the ceramic holders take care of the heat.

Quote:
I am sick of the low beams of ertiga, there is virtually no light, I need to use high beams with the angle adjusted to lowest position to see something ahead
Repeating this but I have this kit with 100/90 set-up since more than a lakh kms now. The cheapest and a reliable upgrade and all within 1500/-.

It is certainly sufficient for my driving needs in single lane roads, ghats, rains or fog and its just the low beam that I end up using while driving all along.

Most of us here have been using the same set-up and the difference is indeed much better than Philips XV or Osram NB+ type upgrades which promise better light but rarely nearer to their claims as owners themselves have expressed how good/bad they are on the Auto lighting thread.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 18:00   #3177
BANNED

JFYI to all owners of the Ertiga. Had changed the rear wiper on my Ertiga yesterday.

Part Name: 38340M60MA0
Part Number: Blade Assy, Rear Wiper
Price: ₹ 575

Part number and price
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20171008_073736768x1365.jpg

Wiper blade
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20171008_073812_01768x406.jpg

My car @ 64,xxx kms
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20171003_065236_01.jpg

Have done almost 4,300 kms in a 35 or 37 days.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 09:24   #3178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
JFYI to all owners of the Ertiga. Had changed the rear wiper on my Ertiga yesterday.

Part Name: 38340M60MA0
Part Number: Blade Assy, Rear Wiper
Price: ₹ 575
Any reason for not opting for the Rubber Blade?? They are far cheaper(less than 200 rupees).

Number 6 in the image below:

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-capture.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 10:17   #3179
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Any reason for not opting for the Rubber Blade??
The plastic part over​ which the rubber blade is fixed was cracked. Hence went for the part replacement.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 12:18   #3180
PAS
BHPian

Quote:

Repeating this but I have this kit with 100/90 set-up since more than a lakh kms now. The cheapest and a reliable upgrade and all within 1500/-. ...
I know miles and miles have been spoken about 90/100 set-up but till now i am unable to muster any courage of upgrading the bulbs to 90/100. Primarily due to fear of damaging /yellowing the plastic reflectors/cover sooner than its prescribed life. May be, I was little more worried about it than i should have.

I had upgraded the stock bulbs to Phillips XV within a week of getting my Ertiga, whilst that improved the lighting to good extent but still nowhere close to decent. No amount of adjusting the beam throw helped.

With not much options left opted for Hella 500FF driving beams this gives me enough confidence for those overnight drives. Later i tried putting in Phillips 100 watt bulbs in the Hella but didn't feel much of a difference compared to Hella 55 watt bulbs.

Having said that, i genuinely feel the upgrade to 90/100 should be worth a try before opting for Hella or the likes.

Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks