Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 00:48   #31
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Great review Vid. Your attention to detail is excellent. It surely deserves a 5 star rating. I was eagerly waiting for this review since the launch Ertiga. The addition of ABS as a standard on all diesel variants is a welcome move from Maruthi. And the all biege interiors sure does make it look more spacious but as u mentioned it will be difficult to maintain it spotless. I think Ertiga at best is a 5 seater. If i buy this vehicle the third row seats will be down from day one!!! Ertiga will sure get some prospective sedan buyers thinking. Overall a fantastic product from Maruthi.
Old 26th April 2012, 00:53   #32
BHPian

Saw the Ertiga on the launch day @ Popular Kochi along with TBHPians.

I guess it's a worthy upgrade from Figo a year later.

Anyone knows how much Pete's can increase in the 90bhp MJD?
Old 26th April 2012, 01:09   #33
BHPian

Probably the most awaited TBHP official review for 2012 (so far). Pictures are superb and all the areas are thoroughly covered in the review.

Though my father being a loyal maruti customer has booked ZDI , i was awaiting the review just for mental peace. Thank you!!

I hate the beige overdose in interiors. At least gear level, steering, center console , door upholstery should be of darker shades as they will be frequently touched. I Will probably go for darker shade for seat covers and door panel.

Price difference of 60k (between zdi and vdi in Punjab) just for alloys steering controls and rear wash wiper has led me to convince my dad to change booking to Vdi. Omission of ACC in ZDI is shocking.

This is the one car i would rather let my driver drive and would rather enjoy the second row confortably. Or maybe third with wifey and let parents sit in the second. (yes, not many in my family are tall and we are no exceptions )
DexterMorgan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 01:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Saw the Ertiga on the launch day @ Popular Kochi along with TBHPians.

I guess it's a worthy upgrade from Figo a year later.

Anyone knows how much Pete's can increase in the 90bhp MJD?
As far as i know Pete's can increase it from 90bhp to 102bhp. You can verify this info here:Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited
Old 26th April 2012, 01:55   #35
BHPian

I guess this was the most sought after review amongst recent launches.Thanks Vid for the Comprehensive one! You've covered and answered almost all features and apprehensions/doubts that people had about this LUV even after checking out the vehicle in flesh on showrooms.

One word to describe the car - PRACTICAL!

Almost every detail that would appeal to the potential buyer had been taken care of by MS except the split 3rd row ofcourse. But it sure is going to be a market definer and a success story for many others to emulate!
Old 26th April 2012, 02:22   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

That's another masterpiece review! Maruti has done a fairly good job with the launch of this car and the booking numbers prove it. This car suits a family of four adults and 2 kids with a bit of luggage. For me, I will still hang on to a hatch for city runs + a proper MUV for highway runs rather than buying an Ertiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
...Anyone knows how much Pete's can increase in the 90bhp MJD?
115-120 bhp I guess.
Old 26th April 2012, 03:14   #37
BHPian

With all the features you have mentioned, I now take back my words that diesel ertiga is overpriced.
Considering the safety features, larger brakes, DDiS engine with Variable Geometry Turbocharger and so on, I think a 1.3 lac premium is justified.

However, did anyone here get a chance to test out the Ertiga Diesel in full load with 7 passengers at 100kmph. Does it feel strained to accelerate further in full load conditions?

Excellent review as usual from team BHP.
Old 26th April 2012, 07:34   #38
Team-BHP Support

Nice and pleasant review. And loved the attention to details.
More than the Ertiga, I am looking forward to see which other manufacturer will jump into this space next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Let's get one thing out of the way. Maruti may not be looking at targeting the Innova or Xylo as much as it is positioning the Ertiga as a sedan-alternative. Those who need the larger 7-seater MUVs will buy those only; the Ertiga isn't a substitute to a spacious UV that can easily accommodate 7 adults. Instead, the target customer is the middle aged 35 - 45 year old buyer who usually opts for a B+ hatch or a C segment sedan. This, despite living in a family of 6 - 7 members. Such a customer isn't going to use the 3rd row of seats everyday; at best, it's once or twice a week...the type that needs a 7 seater mostly for weekends and outstation trips. Maruti even refers to the Ertiga as a "5+2" seater, and not a pure 7 seater. It gives you a car with a compact footprint for city use throughout the week, and also has that 3rd row of seats for when you need it. The Ertiga is car-like to drive too. After all, it's based on the competent Swift platform, with the wheelbase stretched out of course.
Very well said! But trouble is, how many of the buyers will have this kind of awareness (about the purpose of this car)? I guess many are lured by the 7-seater factor, and I will not be surprised if I see many packed Ertiga-s in my next visit home

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Personally, I'd just throw away the 3rd row seat and use the Ertiga as a spacious 4 / 5 seater, with unbeatable legroom, comfort and luggage space. Hope it's easy to remove.
Is there a law constraint to do so? Someone mentioned (in the earlier thread on Ertiga), that altering the no. of seats is considered as an offence – which I personally find quite silly.
Old 26th April 2012, 08:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review with eye catching pics. Vids, you have not left anything for imagination.

The Ertiga for all matters is a practical car. I did have a look at the model on the display at MS dealer in Thane. It looks puny in comparison to the Xylo.

MS had added one more car in the list of long awaiting. Surely people thinking of Dzire will soon find themselevs opting for the LUV.

Thread rated 5 stars.
Old 26th April 2012, 08:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Any idea if a cycle can be stacked parallely to the 3rd or 2nd row. I do see 750l+ of space, but is it really usable to carry a cycle inside. I have a cycle with quick release system (wheels come off in a jiffy), and I can carry it in a sedan's boot without any fuss. Also, can someone suggest if a rear parking sensor is required for Ertiga. The rear visibility was quoted to be good, but due to high stance we may discount small objects like puppies, small bumpers.
Old 26th April 2012, 08:47   #41
BANNED

@Vid6639

Excellent review , worth the wait.

I can see from the chart that Airbag's are only available for Z variants. Is the Passenger Side airbag can be turned off when needed ?!
Old 26th April 2012, 08:55   #42
BHPian

Was eagerly waiting for this!

What a review!

&
What a product.
Now this is a true game changer. Once again Maruti has done well to create this new segment space for itself and ensure that it will retain the NO. 1 tag for quite sometime now.
Rest of the competitiors can only play catch-up.

Personally, I quite liked the concept. It is well suited for a lot of Indian families where budget, average and maintenance rule the decisions.

Some fancy features are definitely missing - for e.g. climate control, reverse parking sensors (audio only if not video with camera). These could have been offered in the top-end variant for sure!

ALL that beige is unsightly and is seriously going to be a pain to maintain. So quick fix solutions must be kept handy. This car will look horrible in a year (from inside).

Also hated the front fog lamps. Seems like an apologetic use of space.

But overall very promising product. Almost a sure-shot hit!
Eagerly waiting for some ownership threads. Soon?
Old 26th April 2012, 09:18   #43
BHPian

After TD of both Zxi and ZDi I have observed few things

1> does not have a premium road presence of 10L vehicle
2>height is almost same a wagon R and it will be lost in crowd of tall boys
3> drivability is almost on similar lines as a tall boy hatch back and does not feel big, neither from outside neither from inside compared to other MUV/SUV
4> excellent option as a 5 seater
5> I feel skeptical paying 10L for ZDI
6> I have doubt with regard to safety (tin box) and crash worthiness of structure
Old 26th April 2012, 09:21   #44
BHPian

Excellent Review ! Thanks a Ton team ! My Uncle is planning to book the Ertiga today back home in Cochin ! I will update the thread on what kind of demand is seen in Kerala.

Funny seeing the key. Looks exactly like the SX4 !!
Old 26th April 2012, 09:22   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review Viddy. Rated 5*. I loved the pics and the attention to detail especially in the engine description and "other things" post. Good job by kpzen and jalsa777 for the excellent pics as well.

I am trying hard to find faults in this vehicle but must confess am not succeeding much! The Vdi/ABS or even Vxi/ABS variants seem to be true VFM. I must confess I fall in your 35-45 target segment definition and something like this seems to be an admirable replacement for my 2006 Swift which has limited utility on long drives.

The fact that Maruti has managed to sell 10,000 odd of these within days of launch says something about how badly this segment was in need of a product like this. Maruti has truly felt the pulse of the nation with this launch.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks