Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 08:24   #676
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Hello Friends, I have a query about the standard warranty offered by MSIL on Ertiga. I searched this thread but could not locate that information. What is the standard warranty on Ertiga (Years & kms)? By purchasing the extended warranty, how many years & kms are added to the standard warranty?
Old 6th November 2012, 11:35   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian
What is the standard warranty on Ertiga (Years & kms)? By purchasing the extended warranty, how many years & kms are added to the standard warranty?
For diesel:
Standard warranty is 2 years / 40,000 kms. Extended warranty can be bought either for 3rd year / 60,000 kms alone or for 3rd & 4th years / 80,000 kms combined.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 22:46   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viswam

Apparently not many others (incl me) have received the invite to the meet. Could you pl share if any point of interest discussed/revealed on the Ertiga Owner's Meet.

BTW, i like the signature line, Inter-city Express.
Just back from the meeting with Maruti Suzuki guys. I was surprised and honoured to meet the chief engineer and the Ertiga project head from Suzuki Motor Corp, Japan. Also present were two representatives from MSIL Gurgaon.

We exchanged pleasantries and then they brought out a feedback form. The Gurgaon guy started asking questions and filled up the form and the two Japanese guys had their own notepads.

We began with exterior design and went on to interiors, engine and performance and suspension. They were also curious to know my take on Innova and Toyota as a company. The Japanese chief engineer also wanted my opinion on the XUV500.

I asked about the camber issue and the engineer was surprised to hear about it. He mentioned that there's a deliberate negative camber in the rear axle for improved handling. The negative camber is common on both wheels although not so apparent to the naked eye. He said straight line stability will go for a toss if there was one side negative offset as I inferred. When asked about the timing chain issue he replied in the negative and said Suzuki uses different components to assemble the 1.3 ddis.

Finally they came to check out my car and fiddled around with the seats, recliner, controls to check if they withstand my daily normal abuse. Those Japanese guys were an absolute pressure to deal with and were patient in answering all my queries. The Gurgaon guys were interested in my constructive criticism.

The next face lifted Ertiga will definitely have 50:50 split last row seats and most probably come with the 1.6 MJD. The project manager just smiled when I asked him about the 1.6 MJD which I presume is his reply in the affirmative. The engineer guy presented me with a nice Japanese Pilot pen set as a thankful souvenir. Overall a wonderful experience and this has further instilled my confidence in MSIL!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 6th November 2012 at 22:48.
swiftdiesel is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 04:23   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel
The next face lifted Ertiga will definitely have 50:50 split last row seats and most probably come with the 1.6 MJD. The project manager just smiled when I asked him about the 1.6 MJD which I presume is his reply in the affirmative.
This sounds delicious! 1.6 MJD in the Kizashi would make a dead car come alive!
sunsetorange is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 07:36   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For diesel:
Standard warranty is 2 years / 40,000 kms. Extended warranty can be bought either for 3rd year / 60,000 kms alone or for 3rd & 4th years / 80,000 kms combined.
Thanks swiftnfurious for sharing that info. Would it be the same for the Petrol Ertiga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Just back from the meeting with Maruti Suzuki guys. I was surprised and honoured to meet the chief engineer and the Ertiga project head from Suzuki Motor Corp, Japan. Also present were two representatives from MSIL Gurgaon.
Many thanks for sharing that swiftdiesel

Quote:
I asked about the camber issue and the engineer was surprised to hear about it. He mentioned that there's a deliberate negative camber in the rear axle for improved handling. The negative camber is common on both wheels although not so apparent to the naked eye. He said straight line stability will go for a toss if there was one side negative offset as I inferred.
That gives a great relief to all the existing & potential Ertiga owners. I always thought that the negative camber is for additional load carrying capacity on the rear axle (Have you seen the Indicabs often with 3-4 passengers in the rear seat & the position of the rear wheels?). I never knew the negative camber would improve the handling.

Quote:
The next face lifted Ertiga will definitely have 50:50 split last row seats and most probably come with the 1.6 MJD. The project manager just smiled when I asked him about the 1.6 MJD which I presume is his reply in the affirmative.
Wow , this sounds music to me ears. Any timelines for the 1.6L MJD Ertiga? The Ertiga always deserved the bigger oil burner under its hood. Though the 1.3L MJD is competent enough, it is more suited on hatches. A 1.25 tonner with 6-7 passengers definitely deserves more.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 08:28   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel
Those Japanese guys were an absolute pressure to deal with and were patient in answering all my queries.
====
Overall a wonderful experience and this has further instilled my confidence in MSIL!
Thank you swift disel for the post. Sure the inteaction must have been yet another reassuring experience in dealing with MSIL. I am glad about the non-issue of negative camber.

Both aspects mentioned (1.6 MJD and 50:50 third row) will make the LUV much more sensible and more appealing.
Viswam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 09:59   #682
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Those Japanese guys were an absolute pressure to deal with and were patient in answering all my queries.
Pressure or pleasure?

Anyways, real nice to hear MSIL got their heads to get feedback from the consumers. Shows how important the Indian market is for them, and glad to know they realize that.

Regarding 1.6L diesel, I dont think Maruti has a big say on that. They would love to have it in their cars for sure - but FIAT should be bringing it to India first (or license the same to Maruti) - and we all know how lazy FIAT is!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 14:10   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Definitely! Hope MSIL read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Wow , this sounds music to me ears. Any timelines for the 1.6L MJD Ertiga? The Ertiga always deserved the bigger oil burner under its hood. Though the 1.3L MJD is competent enough, it is more suited on hatches. A 1.25 tonner with 6-7 passengers definitely deserves more.
They've only got the license for the 1.6 MJD from Fiat. Manufacturing has not started yet. Should be at least 2+ years away as they are gearing up to move a huge chunk of manufacturing to their new plant in Gujarat. The MSIL guy mentioned this when I asked about the huge waiting period inherent for all MSIL cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viswam View Post
Thank you swift disel for the post. Sure the inteaction must have been yet another reassuring experience in dealing with MSIL. I am glad about the non-issue of negative camber.

Both aspects mentioned (1.6 MJD and 50:50 third row) will make the LUV much more sensible and more appealing.
Yep, the 50:50 split seat is definite although the 1.6 MJD is a speculation for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Pressure or pleasure?
Sorry, that should be pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Anyways, real nice to hear MSIL got their heads to get feedback from the consumers. Shows how important the Indian market is for them, and glad to know they realize that.

Regarding 1.6L diesel, I dont think Maruti has a big say on that. They would love to have it in their cars for sure - but FIAT should be bringing it to India first (or license the same to Maruti) - and we all know how lazy FIAT is!
The engineers were really interested to hear the finer points, tips for improvement like an arm rest for the front seats, extra cabin lamp, mirror integrated reverse camera etc. They also promised that their number one priority is to bring down the waiting list on all their models.

Regarding the 1.6 MJD, they already have the license. They didn't comment on the commencement of manufacture.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 20:04   #684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks swiftnfurious for sharing that info. Would it be the same for the Petrol Ertiga?...
Not sure of petrol. Don't think the km warranty is this huge.

Quote:
Wow , this sounds music to me ears. Any timelines for the 1.6L MJD Ertiga?....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange
With the kind of demand it has, expect the next gen to come in atleast after 5 years. The first car I expect to come with the 1.6L engine is the next gen SX4. Again this engine on Kizashi may not work out, a 1.9JTD will!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th November 2012 at 20:08.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 10:20   #685
BHPian

Hi Swiftdiesel. These are interesting bits of information from you. Thanks much. Any idea of the launch of an automatic version in Petrol? One of my friends is interested in Ertiga but wants an auto box. Did you check on this?
Old 8th November 2012, 11:29   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Hi Swiftdiesel. These are interesting bits of information from you. Thanks much. Any idea of the launch of an automatic version in Petrol? One of my friends is interested in Ertiga but wants an auto box. Did you check on this?
Well, we discussed AT for the Ertiga, but I'm clueless about their thoughts. This is how our conversation went:

They: What's your opinion about AT cars?

Me: I hate automatics and will never buy one.

They: Why? Isn't it more convenient?

Me: Automatics are for tired people where as I love the pleasure of driving a manual.

They: Fair enough!

You see, I was stupid to not probe further which I realised later.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:13   #687
BHPian

Did they indicate any timeline for the launch of the facelift with the 50:50 split rear seat?
Old 8th November 2012, 13:59   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SachinVD
Did they indicate any timeline for the launch of the facelift with the 50:50 split rear seat?
No, they didn't. With the number of pending orders every month, they won't bother about it for a long time to come!
Old 8th November 2012, 15:23   #689
BHPian

Quote:
No, they didn't. With the number of pending orders every month, they won't bother about it for a long time to come!
Did they indicate about starting production in Gujrat facility ? Any indications about solving the diesel demand-supply discrepancy as of now ?

Btw,did you also ask about added features like Climate control and bluetooth on Ertiga ZXi/ZDi ?
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 19:26   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Did they indicate about starting production in Gujrat facility ? Any indications about solving the diesel demand-supply discrepancy as of now ?

Btw,did you also ask about added features like Climate control and bluetooth on Ertiga ZXi/ZDi ?
Work's going on full swing to set up the Gujarat facility and he mentioned a huge chunk of manufacturing moving over to Gujarat once ready. No deadline was indicated but they clearly mentioned a "zero waiting period" efficiency once the plant is in operation. Until then, waiting periods are bound to continue, unfortunately. Rest assured that MSIL are really struggling to meet the demand and NOT deliberately using some false marketing gimmick to create an artificial demand as inferred by some people.

Climate control is NOT on their "to do" list as the entire set up will shoot the cost up and spoil the VFM positioning. I didn't ask about Bluetooth as I personally don't use it. But a separate Bluetooth accessory is available at all dealerships to sync with the music system on the ZXI/ZDI. This is a Maruti Genuine accessory.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed