Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 23:39   #796
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

It is quite normal to hear that whistling sound as this is where the turbo actually kicks in.but if there is some excessive whistling, i suppose it is better to phone up the dealer.
Recallers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 08:57   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I have a question to owners of Ertiga DDiS owners. From the beginning of owning the car, I hear a whistle whenever I am accelerating and reach close to 2000RPM in 3rd/4th/5th gears. I believe this is the turbo whistle sound and I used to think this is normal. But a friend of mine who owns a Swift DDiS (new Swift) recently drove my car and told me he never heard this sound in his car. Now I wonder whether the whistle in my car being audible is abnormal. I dont find anything else in the car abnormal such as the pickup or fuel efficiency. I have not driven or sat in another Ertiga to be sure. The only other diesel car I have ever driven is a Figo in which I had never heard the turbo whistle. Would like to hear experience of others on the forum. Thanks in advance!
I can also hear the whistle sound when the turbo kicks in at around 2000RPM. But it is audible only if the stereo is off and you are in a very silent place.
Which part of Bangalore are you from. You can try a hand on my vehicle if we are nearby. Please PM me the details.

Regards,
Deepak
denver85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 22:20   #798
BHPian

I too hear the whistle, at around that rpm.
gkrishn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 12:05   #799
BHPian

Has anybody seen/put in front seat arm rest for Ertiga? I have seen after-market armrests fitted for Swift's/Dezire's. The space below the Hand Brake is not utilized in Ertiga, so thinking about installing an armrest with storage which will be so convenient for long drives.
There are some of them listed in eBay.(http://www.ebay.in/itm/Universal-Car...item416f4b987e)
Not sure whether we can fit this on Ertiga. Any suggestions/inputs
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 22:02   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
Has anybody seen/put in front seat arm rest for Ertiga? I have seen after-market armrests fitted for Swift's/Dezire's. The space below the Hand Brake is not utilized in Ertiga, so thinking about installing an armrest with storage which will be so convenient for long drives.
There are some of them listed in eBay.(http://www.ebay.in/itm/Universal-Car...item416f4b987e)
I have a feeling that these after market handrests will foul with the seatbelt latch and handbrake lever. It's best to check at your local auto store rather than buying them online.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 22:07   #801
BHPian

Quote:
I hope it is ok to post the link to a forum outside T-BHP. I saw pictures of an armrest fitted in an Ertiga in the site the automotiveindia dot com, /forums/ownership-reviews/7221-maruti-suzuki-ertiga-zdi-bought-ownership-review-80.html. The author of this post has not yet replied about the make/model of the armrest. From the pictures, it appears that the armrest does not cause problems with seatbelt latch or handbrake.

The one you have mentioned clearly says it does not fit in Swift Dzire, so I guess it wont work in Ertiga. I have seen another one in Ebay which says it fits in New swift which should work in Ertiga (http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-universal...#ht_2217wt_905). But I am not sure how easy it is to fix the same in the car. I feel the best is if we find a car accessories shop who has the suitable product and can do the fitting of the same.

Last edited by mohan41 : 20th December 2012 at 22:10.
mohan41 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 22:46   #802
Distinguished - BHPian

Few pages back remember someone saying of armrests available for Ertiga in Indonesia. If that was true may be its possible to get those from ebay.
Old 21st December 2012, 09:00   #803
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday we had the Ertiga in our office campus on display & for test drive. Unfortunately the ZDi was only for display & the ZXi was available for test drive. Took it for a spin in the campus. I was very comfortable the moment I sat in the driver's seat. The gear shift was very sleek & each gear slotted perfectly. Have never come across such a refined & smooth engine (have driven old gen diesels all this while, this engine was a revelation). I was astonished with the silence inside the cabin. We were 3 inside the car & it pulled effortlessly in all the gears with AC (couldn't go beyond 4th though). This car is definitely a boon to drive inside the city. I have some queries for the petrol Ertiga owners.
1. How does the car pull with 5-6 people onboard with the holiday luggage?
2. Are the overhead AC vents effective & does the cool air flow reach the last row of seats?
3. Normally for MUVs or SUVs you can see the front end of the bonnet. However I was not able to see that in the Ertiga, despite seat height adjustment (I am 5'10"). Not that I am hell bent on seeing the bonnet. But thought of checking here if the experience of other members is the same.
4. Though Ertiga has ample ground clearance of 185mm, with a longer wheelbase of 2740mm & the car fully loaded, did any one of you experience the car bottoming out or the underbody touching the speedbreakers?
5. The seat height in the Ertiga seems just perfect. You don't have to climb up (as in other SUVs/MUVs), neither you have to crawl, as in some low slung sedans.

Hats off to MSIL for putting together such a wonderful package. If I want a single car for my daily office commute & for weekend/holiday trips with my family of 6-7, there is no other option at this price point. Already it has trumped the Innova in monthly sales. No wonder if this becomes the highest selling MUV in the country.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 21st December 2012 at 09:06.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 10:58   #804
BHPian

I own a Diesel Ertiga, so will not be able to comment on your 1st question. I have provided my experience on other points:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
2. Are the overhead AC vents effective & does the cool air flow reach the last row of seats?
I felt those are effective. After keeping the two middle blowers pointing towards the third row, I was comfortable there even at the noon time. There were only two persons in the middle row at that time, so not sure how effective it will be if 3 are sitting.
Quote:
3. Normally for MUVs or SUVs you can see the front end of the bonnet. However I was not able to see that in the Ertiga, despite seat height adjustment (I am 5'10"). Not that I am hell bent on seeing the bonnet. But thought of checking here if the experience of other members is the same.
The design is like that. The view is almost similar to Ritz/Swift. Even after adjusting the seat to maximum height (I am 6'), I was unable to see end of the bonnet. For the first few days maneuvering in the traffic/tight places was difficult. Now I got used to that.
Quote:
4. Though Ertiga has ample ground clearance of 185mm, with a longer wheelbase of 2740mm & the car fully loaded, did any one of you experience the car bottoming out or the underbody touching the speedbreakers?
Only once I have experienced this. There were 6 on-board with luggage, negotiated a speedbreaker a little faster, and the middle part touched slightly. At lower speeds this may not have happened. I did not face any issues covering worst potholed stretches and hill-like speedbreakers (Bangalore Special ) in my vehicle with average capacity(3-4).
denver85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 11:16   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own a Diesel Ertiga, so will not be able to comment on your 1st question. I have provided my experience on other points:
Denver85, thanks mate for sharing your experience

Quote:
Only once I have experienced this. There were 6 on-board with luggage, negotiated a speedbreaker a little faster, and the middle part touched slightly. At lower speeds this may not have happened. I did not face any issues covering worst potholed stretches and hill-like speedbreakers (Bangalore Special ) in my vehicle with average capacity(3-4).
That is some reassurance. Cars with longer wheebases have to be handled carefully over short, but steep bumps.

Since you own a ZDi, let me ask you if the car feels adequately powered if there are 6-7 people in the car along with their luggage. At least on paper the 1.3L DDis seems a tad underpowered for this big a car. Want to know from an owner's perspective, if this is really true. Any point in time you felt that a bigger engine (1.6L Multijet) would be more appropriate for this car. Also bigger engines are more relaxed during long highway drives.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 21st December 2012 at 11:18.
Old 21st December 2012, 11:47   #806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Denver85, thanks mate for sharing your experience

That is some reassurance. Cars with longer wheebases have to be handled carefully over short, but steep bumps.

Since you own a ZDi, let me ask you if the car feels adequately powered if there are 6-7 people in the car along with their luggage. At least on paper the 1.3L DDis seems a tad underpowered for this big a car. Want to know from an owner's perspective, if this is really true. Any point in time you felt that a bigger engine (1.6L Multijet) would be more appropriate for this car. Also bigger engines are more relaxed during long highway drives.
I've recently given a comprehensive review in this post which you can check from this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post2994902

The second row AC is good enough for the 3rd row. I know for a fact because my mom prefers the third row while we travel!

You don't get to see the bonnet in the Ertiga, irrespective of the seat height. I've installed a corner marker on my bull bar as seen in this pic:

During long highway drives, surprisingly the 1.3 is very relaxed with enough reserve to handle an overtake if needed. Would I love a 1.6? Definitely! Having said that, I still enjoy my 1.3 for its cruising nature, reliability and mileage.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-dscf3178.jpg  

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 21st December 2012 at 11:48.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 11:56   #807
BHPian

Quote:
I felt the below difference driving with 6-7 people:
- The engine feels week at lower RPM's. The turbo lag is evident, so you need to rev little higher to reach the running speed. Once the RPM crosses 1800, you can feel the high response from the engine and acceleration. In normal conditions (3-4 on board) you don't feel it much.
- The outright acceleration (which can be seen in Swift/Ritz) because of Turbo kick-in is present with full load if you are accelerating from halt. This is not so evident if you are alone or two, the acceleration is almost linear.

But I never felt it underpowered either in city traffic or in highway. A 1.6L might be the best for this vehicle, but I am very happy with the current performance/mileage 1.3L offering
It will be grateful, if other Ertiga Diesel owners can write their experience.

Regards,
Deepak
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 12:01   #808
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki confirms Ertiga AT for Indonesia!

Quote:
The biggest news that will influence the Indonesian market and possibly the India as well is the confirmation of an automatic avatar for the Ertiga.

volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 12:10   #809
BHPian

Quote:
I felt the below difference driving with 6-7 people:
- The engine feels week at lower RPM's. The turbo lag is evident, so you need to rev little higher to reach the running speed. Once the RPM crosses 1800, you can feel the high response from the engine and acceleration. In normal conditions (3-4 on board) you don't feel it much.
- The outright acceleration (which can be seen in Swift/Ritz) because of Turbo kick-in is present with full load if you are accelerating from halt. This is not so evident if you are alone or two, the acceleration is almost linear.

But I never felt it underpowered either in city traffic or in highway. A 1.6L might be the best for this vehicle, but I am very happy with the current performance/mileage 1.3L offering
It will be grateful, if other Ertiga Diesel owners can write their experience.

Regards,
Deepak
Hi I have been driving a ZDi for the last 5 months now. There is a lag upto around 1700RPM, but it is not bad that you cannot manage in city. Moreover, with more KMs done, you will find the engine open up and the lag reduce. I have felt this with 5-6 people on board. I have also driven in the hills and could manage the climbs easily in 3rd. If you are changing over from a petrol to Diesel, you will find it tough initially, but later you get used to it.

I have penned my review in this forum. Check the link below for a detailed ownership experience of mine
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2828394
nurni76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 12:18   #810
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I've installed a corner marker on my bull bar as seen in this pic:
Won't the bull bar have any effect on the airbag deployment in case of an accident?

Most Viewed