Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 14:52   #1036
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

If you are talking about what car is better on an inclined road, its got to be the RWD. In a FWD car, when you accelerate the front of the car lifts pushing the weight to the rear of the car and the chance of spinning wheels is higher in the FWD. It has to be the RWD if you are driving on an incline.

But, there is a place where the FWD works better. Check out this thread!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...s-fwd-rwd.html

Check this video from the link that I posted earlier. It would explain how the RWD is better if you are on an incline!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Happy to listen to other points of view on this.

Last edited by anachronix : 4th April 2013 at 14:56.
anachronix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 19:18   #1037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post

I am sure you correct. I am an not an off road person, have not driven in climbs that have slush and if I had walked over to the other side maybe that rear tyre was not turning. I deduced from what I saw. But thanks for pointing out. Appreciate it.
I saw a program on natHD,about driving in the most inhospitable environs, and the host has an fwd UV.
Now, when faced with what was practically an insurmountable incline, which he couldn't tackle with fwd, what he did was turn the car around and reverse onto the slope. Brilliant point made! Lemme fish out a link for the same.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 13:48   #1038
BHPian

Very interesting to go through this. The video particularly illustrates the point. I have been under the impression that a RWD would struggle on a slushy incline. Apparently not so.
Appreciate the inputs here. Helps to be in team bhp!
Old 8th April 2013, 11:24   #1039
BHPian

All,

I thought that I will share a few details of my Ertiga VDI that may help others viewing this thread.

Just completed 10,000 KMs and gave it for service at Mandovi Motors, JP Nagar B'lore. The cost was around Rs. 6000/-, with the major component being Synthetic Oil change for Rs. 3100/- approx. Other expenses were for cleaning interiors, wheel alignment and balancing, replacing brake light bulbs and of course VAT!

From a service standpoint, Mandovi Motors has done a fairly good job - need to drive the car for a few days to know if they have taken proper action on complaints like squeaking noise of driver's seat. Currently, it seems fine after service.

My current FE is about 12.5 kms/litre of diesel. The stretch I do is mainly on Bannerghatta Road, B'lore and total usage about 25-30 kms/day. I am hoping that it will increase at least by another km - will update the relevant forum on this after I do one tankful method of checking FE.

Thanks.
Old 9th April 2013, 11:22   #1040
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti to complete the limted edition offer with now Ertiga on the list!

Maruti is preparing to launch a limited anniversary edition of the Ertiga. The anniversary edition is said to be having a new front grill with chrome treatment a la the Indonesian Ertiga.

quote]The limited edition could also feature a new touchscreen navigation and Bluetooth audio system which is being offered in the recently introduced SX4 facelift. Other usual features like the art leather seats and anniversary badging would also be a part of the package[/quote]

Old 9th April 2013, 11:32   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramassrs View Post
All,

My current FE is about 12.5 kms/litre of diesel. The stretch I do is mainly on Bannerghatta Road, B'lore and total usage about 25-30 kms/day. I am hoping that it will increase at least by another km - will update the relevant forum on this after I do one tankful method of checking FE.

Thanks.
Just wondering, if you travel with good load every day ? Or is this the FE you are getting with 1-2 adults ?

To be frank i expected Ertiga to return much more than 12.5 kmpl (at least 14-15kmpl since Swift diesel returns around 15-16kmpl)

Is this the observation by other owners as well ? Calling other Diesel Ertiga owners. What would be the expected city FE and highways ?

Is it safe to assume it will settle into 15kmpl in city(normal to peak hour conditions) and 18kmpl on highways (driven light footed at healthy 80-90kmph )
Old 9th April 2013, 12:05   #1042
BHPian

I get atleast 14-15 in city driving conditions .

On the highways , not flooring the pedal can give you a FE of anything between 18-20 .
gautamkhadse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 18:48   #1043
BHPian

I just did a tankful and calculated the FE which came out to 14.2. This is completely within Bangalore city and AC on all the time.
mohan41 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 21:31   #1044
BHPian

Hello,

I got the delivery of my Serene Blue Ertiga ZDi on March 26, 2013. Had only managed to drive her for about 800 kms.

I have a few observations and would be glad if other Ertiga owners can confirm them:

1. When driving at around 80 to 90 kmph, there is a slight whistling kind of a sound coming from the right driver side ORVMs. Wind passing by with a gentle hiss... did anyone notice this or my ORVM has issues

2. With Kolkata temperatures touching 41 C, and without sunfilms the cabin is not being cooled properly during peak sunny hours.

3. Am getting an Avg FFE of around 16.2 kmpl in the city. Which is good in my opinion.

4. Have upgraded to Yoko AVS Decibel V550 195/60 R15. Ride seems to be reasonably good, but not sure what tyre pressure to maintain. The tyre bunk filled 33 psi on all 4 with Nitrogen. I can feel the tyre firmly taking the road at slow speeds. What is the ideal tyre pressure for 195/65?

5. Had a 5.5 year old Swift VDi, but feel it was more driveable in the city when compared to the Ertiga. The gears seem to be missing a smooth transition zone. Generally a light footer and keep my cars within 1.5 k RPM. But with Ertiga I sometime feel she looses steam when moving from say 2nd to 3rd with 2nd touching 1.5k RPM.

6. The rear blower is making a sound as if there is something loose.

7. I had to take 8 of my colleagues for lunch and not for once I felt that I was carrying such a load. The car was pretty driveable.

8. The sound system is mediocre.

9. The headlights are horrible. I changed them to Philips Essential 100/90 with Philips Relay kit

10. Planning to put Garware icecool shield in the front and some VLT 70 film on the sides. Not sure which one though.

11. The engine is strange. Sometimes it sounds smooth and mostly on my way back home it sounds strained at around 1.75 K RPM

Would like to see if any of my observations does not match with the rest of the Ertiga owners.

Cheers!
Ran
Ranendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 22:18   #1045
BHPian

Hi Friends, What is the ideal tyre upgrade for ertiga ZDI, is it 195/60R15 or 205/60R15. Which one is a better choice ?
Thanks in advance.
Old 9th April 2013, 22:53   #1046
BHPian

In my opinion 205/60 R15 fits pretty well with the Ertiga. Also you dont lose any ground clearance as well but gain marginally.

I had to go with 195/60 R15 AVS Decibel because only A-Drive was available in this size and I was looking for a better tyre than A-Drive.

BHPians who have upgraded to 205/60 R15 have specifically mentioned that they had no issues at all and are in-fact pretty happy.

Regards
Ran
Old 10th April 2013, 11:41   #1047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Just wondering, if you travel with good load every day ? Or is this the FE you are getting with 1-2 adults ?

To be frank i expected Ertiga to return much more than 12.5 kmpl (at least 14-15kmpl since Swift diesel returns around 15-16kmpl)

Is this the observation by other owners as well ? Calling other Diesel Ertiga owners. What would be the expected city FE and highways ?

Is it safe to assume it will settle into 15kmpl in city(normal to peak hour conditions) and 18kmpl on highways (driven light footed at healthy 80-90kmph )
The City FE is with only one person on weekdays and with a family of four on weekends. Given my commute route, I would be lucky to cruise in 3rd gear for more than 2 kms! Hitting 4th gear is a rarity - only when I am returning from office at some late hour like after 9-30 pm.

Would like to know what FE fellow BHPians get under similar conditions with their cars.

While I have not checked FE on exclusive highway drives, IMO, the FE should be around 18 km/litre, if the speeds are between 80-100 kmph.

Thanks.
Old 10th April 2013, 12:02   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranendra View Post
Hello,

I got the delivery of my Serene Blue Ertiga ZDi on March 26, 2013. Had only managed to drive her for about 800 kms.

I have a few observations and would be glad if other Ertiga owners can confirm them:
Would like to see if any of my observations does not match with the rest of the Ertiga owners.

Cheers!
Ran
Congrats for the LUV @Ranendra, I believe the hard gear shifts & AC problems would get solved at the time of 1st service. Your in city mileage is really good, & the vehicle is VFM IMO, & am too inclined to buy the vehicle ASAP. Hope the market turns even more customer friendly by that time.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 12:18   #1049
BHPian

Like I reported earlier, on highway long drives, I got an FE of around 21 (when driven between 80 to 100 kmph) and 17+ (when driven between 100 to 120). In Hyderabad traffic (mostly in 3rd and 4th gears), I'm getting 15 - 16 on my VDI. Sunfilms are a must for Hyd summers, but not sure what is the leagl position now - Hyd cops are not allowing sun films at all.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:26   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistala View Post
Like I reported earlier, on highway long drives, I got an FE of around 21 (when driven between 80 to 100 kmph) and 17+ (when driven between 100 to 120). In Hyderabad traffic (mostly in 3rd and 4th gears), I'm getting 15 - 16 on my VDI. Sunfilms are a must for Hyd summers, but not sure what is the leagl position now - Hyd cops are not allowing sun films at all.
@nistala: These F.E. numbers look very good. Can you confirm whether they are calculated by tankful method or these are the ones displayed on MID? MID number is slightly higher (1-2km) than actual FE calculated using tankful method.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks