Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 19:21   #106
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Finally, the long awaited review is here. Thanks vid for this fantastic, detailed and honest review. Most reviews on News channels and print media give an idea that the 3rd row is liveable for 2 above average built adults. However the pictures here tell a different story. Also it was stated in one of the reviews that Ertiga (Petrol) is an outright highway performer which again seems to be dismissed in this review.

One thing which every review (including this one) seems to have ignored is the Ertiga Petrol's actual FE. Though all reviews appreciated the Diesel unit's FE, but much isn't said about the Petrol's FE; only the ARAI figure of 16.02 KpL. This only leaves doubts about its actual FE and makes me more apprehensive about the same. My apologies in case if it has already been mentioned anywhere.
Old 26th April 2012, 19:33   #107

Thanks, for such a detail and great review.

This car really fits my need.
  1. I can take it to office daily as it not not big as Innova and Xylo.
  2. In whole year I need 7 seats for 10 days when my relatives are here. So, little adjustments and we are ready to go.
  3. I can use it as spacious 5 seat with 3rd row open and put small luggage at 3rd row. I think a suitcase and airbag can easily fit.
I think we can not compare it with Innova as It cost almost 6 Lakhs more. Add little more and you can have Jazz. Other option just put it in Bank you will have minimum 30000 from interest and use it to hire Big 7 seater for outdoor trips.
sarbpreet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 19:39   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
So, if we keep the third row open and dump all our luggage on the seats, how do we remove the same? By folding the second row? Like the Nano... How practical is it for everyday usage?

Or if the fold the 3rd row only halfway leaving it at an angle, would the luggage stay on it? Wont it slide down as soon as you open the boot?

Also, taking about performance - Will the 1.3 90hp engine pull 7 people comfortably on an incline?

All said & done, it all boils down to priorities... Do you want utility or do you want better handling... do you want space or you want a compact car? If someone needs a spacious 5 seater, just take the Ertiga to the A.S.S. and get the 3 row removed. Doing this, you get a HUGE boot with excellent legroom in the second row.

I would have given the Ertiga full points, if the 2nd row legroom issue was not there. With the current setup & pricing, even though its a better handler, I cant imagine plonking 9 Lacs on it. The engine is too puny & there is nothing extra ordinary in the feature list or creature comforts.
Going by your posts on the Ertiga thread on this forum and an other similar forum all I can see is this - your heart loves the Ertiga (counting the number of posts on this thread alone!) but in your mind you're trying to find every silly excuse under the sun to just get yourself to hate this car. The more you try to find reasons to hate it the more you're falling for it! Battle between a heart that says yes and a mind desperately refusing it! Very soon you may line up to book the Ertiga or may be this post may have turned you off! No offence!
Old 26th April 2012, 20:11   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Going by your posts on the Ertiga thread on this forum and an other similar forum all I can see is this - your heart loves the Ertiga (counting the number of posts on this thread alone!) but in your mind you're trying to find every silly excuse under the sun to just get yourself to hate this car. The more you try to find reasons to hate it the more you're falling for it! Battle between a heart that says yes and a mind desperately refusing it! Very soon you may line up to book the Ertiga or may be this post may have turned you off! No offence!
No offence taken.

You are somewhat right in saying that I really really liked the Ertiga. Infact, I was desperately waiting for it's launch to replace my ageing Scorpio.

That is the reason, the next day after it's launch, I hurried to the showroom to have a look at it. But what I saw disappointed me. Also, I was expecting the pricing of the diesel top end to be atleast a Lac less.

And no, we are a family of tall people and we wont be booking the Ertiga as it simply wont fit us! And as I said, I see the Ertiga as a compromise, atleast for my family... and I wont be paying that amount of money for it.
Old 26th April 2012, 20:20   #110
BANNED

Superb review, Vid! Covered A-Z about the car, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Exactly my thoughts!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post edited. Please refrain from any kind of personal attacks on fellow BHPians.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th April 2012 at 11:45.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 20:28   #111
Team-BHP Support

2" is decent increase, i think its the seat frames that are touching each other preventing the movement. Yes a different shape frame with cushioning on top will help solve this.
Old 26th April 2012, 20:40   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Official Reviews Section!

Viddy, THANK YOU for sharing the much-awaited Ertiga review with us. Your attention to detail is simply outstanding. Rating your review a well deserved 5 stars.

Personally, I'd just throw away the 3rd row seat and use the Ertiga as a spacious 4 / 5 seater, with unbeatable legroom, comfort and luggage space. Hope it's easy to remove.
I would support GTO on that. The legroom on that 2nd row is simply crazy! And it's a Maruti, meaning , good FE, service and spares are easy on the pocket. It looks perfect. Maybe thicker tyres would do the trick.
Comparing it to Innova, not sure if that's even right (apples to oranges). Autocar May issue apparently did that. Curious to see what is the verdict.
BTW, are those head rest in the rear seat fixed? If we take em off, does that improve things?

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 26th April 2012 at 20:43.
Old 26th April 2012, 21:33   #113
BHPian

As always,great one.
Had there been an automatic variant it would have made it altogether different ball game.
Old 26th April 2012, 21:49   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

One thing I found weird though, is that the 2nd row loses some of its space when the 3rd row is folded down. It should have ideally been the other way 'round. I mean, folding the rear-seats and liberating more space for the middle-row would be logical.
Exactly what I was thinking, it seems a little counter intuitive.

I have a feeling that once the initial wave subsides people may realize that Ertiga is not all that they thought it would be. I mean its not a 7 seater for sure, its not even a proper 5 seater. Then what is it meant to be ? I am probably going to be killed by the Maruti lovers on this forum .
Old 26th April 2012, 22:00   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles_ts View Post
I mean its not a 7 seater for sure, its not even a proper 5 seater. Then what is it meant to be ? I am probably going to be killed by the Maruti lovers on this forum .
Am not a Maruti lover nor basher!

Differ from your view. People buying Ertiga are really not looking for a 'true' 7 seater on a regular basis. Occasional use to accommodate 7 is the what makes Ertiga an attractive buy!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 22:25   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
I really would worry about adding seating capacity, not removing it.Just my take.
I am disappointed because I did nt expect the leg room to be as bad as shown in the pic after folding the third row. I have taken a look at the vehicle in flesh, although could not check in detail. At a glance it looked like a very well packaged car and when reports started coming in that the second row leg room is being compromised, I did nt feel it would be all that bad. But looking at the pic posted in the review it seems bad.
However I agree I may have gone overboard with it, mainly because I was looking at The Ertiga as my next buy. Not immediately but in maybe 12-18 months. It still stays as the most preferred vehicle for me despite the disappointment, the other one being the Jazz.

Also I take back my statement that I would remove the third row, although I m still not sure about the legalities. In the other thread some body else had mentioned its illegal though I m not sure.

Why I would not take out the third row, is I personally would never need the kind of Luggage space liberated by removing the third row moreover that would negate the utility part of the ertiga. If all I wanted is a spacious rear bench and a big enough boot, manza, sunny or etios are there, if I wanted a hatch, the Jazz is there.

The plus point of ertiga is the third row within a sedan footprint. What I am looking at is the possibility of maruti introducing a split third row in some time after seeing the reactions (though Highly unlikely) or getting the third row to be split in the after market.
Old 26th April 2012, 22:27   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles_ts View Post
I have a feeling that once the initial wave subsides people may realize that Ertiga is not all that they thought it would be. I mean its not a 7 seater for sure, its not even a proper 5 seater. Then what is it meant to be ? I am probably going to be killed by the Maruti lovers on this forum .

Perhaps it would help if people could focus on what they can do with an Ertiga (luxurious 5 seater/occasional 7 seater) and not what they cannot do with an Ertiga (full time 7-seater).

The theme here has always been to highlight what is not possible with the Ertiga whereas it offers various options previously unknown in the market, which are probably for some reason not taken into account.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 26th April 2012 at 22:28.
Old 26th April 2012, 22:32   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I am disappointed because I did nt expect the leg room to be as bad as shown in the pic after folding the third row. I have taken a look at the vehicle in flesh, although could not check in detail. At a glance it looked like a very well packaged car and when reports started coming in that the second row leg room is being compromised, I did nt feel it would be all that bad. But looking at the pic posted in the review it seems bad.
vibbs and others,

Please note that I am 6 feet tall and the driver's seat is set almost all the way back and all the way down. This is an extreme position which I prefer but if you are of normal height there is no way you will put it this far back. On top of that I was the one sitting in the middle row which means it was a 6 feet driver + 6 feet passenger.

Keeping that in mind the legroom in the middle row with the 3rd row folded will still be acceptable.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 22:53   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Superb review, Vid! Covered A-Z about the car, I think.

Exactly my thoughts!
Please dont start with the fanboyism.pointing out faults on a just released car is not bashing. you cant expect everyone to worship the ertiga just because its a maruti.

Anyway .after checking out the ertiga.i'm disappointed.might be because i'm not the "average Indian height". i wasn't expecting a complete product rather i was expecting a spacious 5 seater with the occasional capability to carry two extra passengers.(i doubt the owners will be ferrying around 7 passengers everyday anyway)

Now though the front seat is pretty comfortable.when i looked back i wondered how anyone would be able to squeeze in behind me.my friends tried but it was a squeeze and in no way comfortable .i drive around in a few of hatchbacks and it isnt this bad in any of them.

Now for the rear seat. has anyone who has test driven in managed to get in without looking funny?sure kids will be able to get in easily but average size adults will find it extremely annoying.

As for the boot space.you can either carry stuff in the rearmost seas and load/unload it like the nano owners do.or you can fold down the seat and have the second benchers hug the front seat.if you think i'm exaggerating go get a test drive.

Fit an finish seems great.interiors are roomier.but this isnt a comfortable 5 seater for anyone above the "average indian height" at all. Unless you really feel the need to carry 7 people regularly i think you're much better off with a comfortable five seater like the jazz.

PS.salesguy says its not possible to completely remove the rear seat. and even if someone does i don't see how it will lead to increased second low legroom unless you plan to tinker with that too.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th April 2012 at 11:45. Reason: quoted text edited
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 22:59   #120
Senior - BHPian

The review is excellent.

But, after reading all the comments, I am confused whether Ertiga is meant to be used as a 7 seater or 5 seater. If the space is still cramped even when used as a 5 seater, I would not even think about this vehicle. The best bet would be, Ford Ecosport or Renault Duster. I am looking forward for both these .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks