Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2013, 13:16   #1426
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

I have experienced this "Check Engine" warning in my Ertiga ZDI on two separate ocassions while driving on highways. This happened when I stepped on the accelerator suddenly to speed up while already travelling at > 70 Kmph. I felt a sudden drop in power and the Engine Lamp came on. I was able to drive around, but the warning lamp bothered me. I took it to the nearest MSS and they cleared the error using the handheld diagnostic tool. I was told it was due to the Turbo Boost pressure sensor and nothing to worry about.
Old 14th September 2013, 21:50   #1427
BHPian

Where can I get documentation on the audio formats supported by the stock head-unit in Ertiga (ZDI)? Can someone please guide me?
I have a lot of songs, some I have ripped from my CDs to the USB drive, and the others from my Nokia Music > Computer> USB drive. The problems often come in (strangely) some of the files from my Nokia Music collection (downloaded through my Lumia). I know I can always connect by aux, but wanted some of the music to be available to my family as well, when I am not with them.

My first instinct was DRM, but I checked by copying them to another PC, works just fine. So I am back to my diagnosis of some issues of the exact encoding sets supported by the Ertiga HU.

Any help/ recommendations?
Old 15th September 2013, 18:40   #1428
BHPian

Now my turn to get an Ertiga Diesel

My past (Actively driving since 1997 since the age of 14)-

- 1996 to 2000 - Fiat 1100 D (Dad owned)
- 2000 to 2003 M800 5 Speed (Dad owned)
- 2005 to 2010 Esteem VXi (Dad owned)

- 2010 - 2012 - Swift LDi (18 months 27000kms) (Sold for want of comfort and space)

- 2012 - 2013 - Fiesta Classic TDCi LXi (18 months 33000 kms) (Sold for want of power, refinement, mileage - will write a separate ownership report soon)

- 2013 September 14th, booked Firebrick Red Ertiga Zdi S for onroad 10.5 BLR after all discounts.

Just finished reading all the 96 odd pages in this thread over the past week and some questions prevail :-

1) Does Ertiga ZDi 2Din system have RCA Preout for adding an amplifier?

2) Saw a Dzire getting fitted with some plastic kinda sheet on floor. Is this the floor "lamination" someone was talking about in this thread? Can someone post cost and pictures plz? What will happen if water spills? will it not get locked between the lamination and the floor carpet and stinks for the rest of the life?

3) I couldnt bargain much and am getting only door outer moulding & 3m body coating as freebies. Any thing else I should ask for?

4) Fiesta classic 1.4 TDCi mileage in blr city for me was 12.5 kmpl so was mileage 12.5 kmpl at 100+. Swift used to give 14-15-16 in both conditions in similar driving. Swift gave best of 21 kmpl at 80-90kmph driving and Fiesta Classic gave best of 17.5 kmpl at 80-90. I sincerely hope Ertiga should be better than "12.5".

My quick findings on Ertiga after 4 test drives :-

1) Power more than sufficient. 1.3 is still a gem. Far better than Fiesta 1.4 TDCi in terms of refinement & power. I took TD with max upto 5 pax as well.

2) Suspension - has come a long long way after my horrible experience with Swifts suspension in 2010-11. On a cement bump in a pocket road felt the thud while sitting in 3rd row. overall happy.

3) 3rd row seats - My family max height is 5'6", so looks perfect and my mom felt 'good' sitting there. Special thanks to rear ac here.

4) build quality, clutch and gear felt good for a 29k kms done TD vehicle (Thats where I LOVE Maruti). For the comparison check out a new car VS a TD car of 15k+ for a Tata or Ford

5) 2nd row seats - people talk of 3rd row seats (which i felt much ok unlike the negative hype). Now my concern is not that, instead the 2nd row seats wherein the center bump rules out any possibility of a person doing long drives with the arm rest hitting the spine making us feel very very uncomfortable. One person did point issue with planting baby seats in middle. Can captain seats be fitted after market for 2nd row? Ertiga would be a dream car then!

6) Fiesta Classic feels planted even at 140 k's. Ertiga, may be since I am coming over from a Ford to Maruti, felt a little 'scared' after 100 Will get used to since I used to do 160+ on Swift D

Dealer - Pratham Motors, BLR outer ring road.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th September 2013 at 18:14. Reason: Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.
Old 17th September 2013, 16:04   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

- 1996 to 2000 - Fiat 1100 D (Dad owned)
- 2000 to 2003 M800 5 Speed (Dad owned)
- 2005 to 2010 Esteem VXi (Dad owned)

- 2010 - 2012 - Swift LDi (18 months 27000kms) (Sold for want of comfort and space)

- 2012 - 2013 - Fiesta Classic TDCi LXi (18 months 33000 kms) (Sold for want of power, refinement, mileage - will write a separate ownership report soon)

- 2013 September 14th, booked Firebrick Red Ertiga Zdi S for onroad 10.5 BLR after all discounts.

Just finished reading all the 96 odd pages in this thread over the past week and some questions prevail :-

1) Does Ertiga ZDi 2Din system have RCA Preout for adding an amplifier?

2) Saw a Dzire getting fitted with some plastic kinda sheet on floor. Is this the floor "lamination" someone was talking about in this thread? Can someone post cost and pictures plz? What will happen if water spills? will it not get locked between the lamination and the floor carpet and stinks for the rest of the life?

3) I couldnt bargain much and am getting only door outer moulding & 3m body coating as freebies. Any thing else I should ask for?

4) Fiesta classic 1.4 TDCi mileage in blr city for me was 12.5 kmpl so was mileage 12.5 kmpl at 100+. Swift used to give 14-15-16 in both conditions in similar driving. Swift gave best of 21 kmpl at 80-90kmph driving and Fiesta Classic gave best of 17.5 kmpl at 80-90. I sincerely hope Ertiga should be better than "12.5".

My quick findings on Ertiga after 4 test drives :-

1) Power more than sufficient. 1.3 is still a gem. Far better than Fiesta 1.4 TDCi in terms of refinement & power. I took TD with max upto 5 pax as well.

2) Suspension - has come a long long way after my horrible experience with Swifts suspension in 2010-11. On a cement bump in a pocket road felt the thud while sitting in 3rd row. overall happy.

3) 3rd row seats - My family max height is 5'6", so looks perfect and my mom felt 'good' sitting there. Special thanks to rear ac here.

4) build quality, clutch and gear felt good for a 29k kms done TD vehicle (Thats where I LOVE Maruti). For the comparison check out a new car VS a TD car of 15k+ for a Tata or Ford

5) 2nd row seats - people talk of 3rd row seats (which i felt much ok unlike the negative hype). Now my concern is not that, instead the 2nd row seats wherein the center bump rules out any possibility of a person doing long drives with the arm rest hitting the spine making us feel very very uncomfortable. One person did point issue with planting baby seats in middle. Can captain seats be fitted after market for 2nd row? Ertiga would be a dream car then!

6) Fiesta Classic feels planted even at 140 k's. Ertiga, may be since I am coming over from a Ford to Maruti, felt a little 'scared' after 100 Will get used to since I used to do 160+ on Swift D

Dealer - Pratham Motors, BLR outer ring road.
1. No it doesn't come with pre outs. . You can buy an adapter for 1500 and add Amp and Sub

2. Yes that's called total floor lamination, costs 2500 in hyderabad. The smell issue is thereotically possible, but never happened till date. Water usually doesn't get beyond the lamination. Can be cleaned easily. If you have kids who spill eatables around then this helps to keep the car clean.

3. I got same as bargain. Paint protection can be done from outside . Ask for ac filter (ertiga doesn't come pre fitted with filters)and floor mats if you are okay with them.

4. My worst mileage was 13.8 kmpl in first 2000 kms, generally hovers between 14 to 17 kmpl depending upon driving conditions. mileage improves after 10k service as per other owners.

I agree with most of your observations, how about changing the 3rd row of seats to 50:50 split ones ? That's what I'm looking for at the moment. Fitting Captain seats in 2nd row should not be an issue.
Old 18th September 2013, 21:45   #1430
BHPian

Quote:

[/b]
Let me first of all congrats you on your new purchase. Though your post did not answer if you have already taken the delivery of you car or its still pending.

I too moved into the Ertiga family today when I took the delivery of the Ertiga ZDI Felix edition today in the evening. Purchasing experience will follow soon once I get my hands on my car pics.

I am also looking for the floor lamination. Will contact the 3M car care tomorrow to find out the cost. Happy Motoring.
Old 19th September 2013, 09:18   #1431
Distinguished - BHPian

Ertiga domestic sales crosses 100,000 in 17 months.

Maruti Suzuki's Ertiga has crossed the 100,000 mark recently. To be very specific, as on August 31 2013, Maruti has sold a total of 101,041 units of the Ertiga in India. This milestone comes in a short 17 months since the car was launched on April 12 2012.

Maruti claims that the Ertiga is the quickest in its segment to achieve this sales figure.

The Ertiga continues to be a sales success not only in India, but also in Indonesia. It accounts for about 40% of Suzuki’s sales in Indonesia and even Mazda sells a re-badged version of the Ertiga called the VX-1.

As far as future sales are concerned, the Ertiga will certainly have a couple of serious competitors, both in India and Indonesia- Honda's Mobilio and Datsun's GO+.
In fact, both these competitors would have their public debuts today at the 2013 Indonesian International Motor Show.

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/09/m...00-sales-97349
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 14:46   #1432
BHPian

This is my first post on Team-BHP

I've booked the Ertiga ZDi (standard wheels) in granite grey, on 8th September. The auspicious time for me to take delivery is only after 5th October. The SA has mentioned delivery lead time of few weeks, so I'm hoping the vehicle would be ready by the end of September.

If the vehicle does arrive in September, I'm wondering whether to push for invoicing this month, to lock in existing prices with the Rs 20,000 cash discount, or wait for October for some better deals due to Dasara festival discounts. The risk is there might be a price hike as hinted by the SA, with Maruti following Ford & Toyota among others. Does anyone know from reliable sources, when a price hike may be due? The SA said price at the time of invoicing will be applicable, meaning no price protection, which I believe is the norm. However, I could try at another dealer to take delivery in September, but may lose out on the accessories (reverse parking sensor, paint protection & steering wheel grip) won after some hard bargaining & promised due to a reference. Please advice.

I was also told Maruti is facing delays with Ertiga & Omni due to their production facility being shifted for these vehicles, but I havent come across this news anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Ertiga domestic sales crosses 100,000 in 17 months.
That is great news & reinforces confidence in this vehicle. Would Maruti come out with any worthy celebration edition or special offers to commemorate this milestone?
Old 19th September 2013, 17:02   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2) There is another option: Vinyl mat flooring. Costs more than lamination but its a thick Vinyl mat, and if installed well, I dont see water can get in so easily (Link to my post)

4) I would say you can expect mileage similar to that of Fiesta. I am getting around 14 in Bangalore city currently, but for my usage, Figo/Fiesta will return 14-15 and Swift can return 16-17kmpl. So Looking at the figures you are quoting, I think you can expect between 12.5-14kmpl.

On highways, Ertiga can return 17-18kmpl provided one sticks to 90-110 kmph limits.

6) I dont think MPV is meant for highspeed driving. The car is refined and revvs smooth in the turbo band. So 120-140 should be a breeze. But on curvy roads, expect body roll because of the MPV nature. Ford is a Ford when it comes to driving pleasure !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanand View Post
This is my first post on Team-BHP

I've booked the Ertiga ZDi (standard wheels) in granite grey, on 8th September. The auspicious time for me to take delivery is only after 5th October. The SA has mentioned delivery lead time of few weeks, so I'm hoping the vehicle would be ready by the end of September.
Congratulations. If the vehicle needs to arrive from their plant, It will take couple of weeks. and then couple of days for the registration formality. I too had booked similarly in July and got the vehicle in first week of August. SA let me decide when to invoice it but he prefered to invoice by end of july for 1) his own goals 2) No one knows what Maruti will offer next month.

I ended up invoicing it on july end and took delivery next week. but Observation was that the discounts were pretty much the same in August as well. But it could be different this time due to festival time and due to pressure to increase the prices.

Frankly, Ertiga is selling well for its price. 4.5k+ month on month is not a small number for a car that costs 10L. Plus Suzuki is exporting so many Ertigas and Mazda VX-1 to SE countries. So their production lines are surely running smooth and expect your car VIN to be of September Make(Too early for Oct)
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 09:33   #1434
BHPian

Quote:

Very similar to my case I remember your thread on Fiesta Vs Manza Vs Etios and I was in the same boat exactly at the same time and went ahead with Fiesta 1.4 TDCI CLXI in March 2012 and in a month Ertiga was released.

Took delivery of Ertiga ZDI with alloy Silver color this September first week (July end manufactured) and looking to sell off the Fiesta now.

sam_sant2005, Around how much did you get for your car(Range) and What can I expect for it? It has run 23,000 KM, Paparika Red, with 3rd year extended warranty and is still hypothecated to SBI. Art leather seat covers, Horn and Fog lamps are the additions.

Ertiga is very nice to drive especially on the highway with the higher seating position compared to the Fiesta. Very decently spaced. But not sure if ZDI is worth the money at 10+ Lacs.
Old 21st September 2013, 13:28   #1435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Very similar to my case I remember your thread on Fiesta Vs Manza Vs Etios and I was in the same boat exactly at the same time and went ahead with Fiesta 1.4 TDCI CLXI in March 2012 and in a month Ertiga was released.
Good to see someone like me But sad to see the same fate.

Quote:
sam_sant2005, Around how much did you get for your car(Range) and What can I expect for it? It has run 23,000 KM, Paparika Red, with 3rd year extended warranty and is still hypothecated to SBI. Art leather seat covers, Horn and Fog lamps are the additions.
I took The Fiesta 1.4 TDCi LXi after all discounts for 7.9 onroad (may 10-11 extra misc max). I had run 33k in 18 months (plus i had a pig hit on by bumper at 130k's worth some good damage). Still in the given condition I sold it for 6.15 lacs. I checked a lot of sources and the average price was 5-5.5, but I was lucky to get a good customer (My prev Swift bought at 5.9 in 2011 was sold for 5.1 in 2012 after 27k kms). So probably I am good at bargaining !

Quote:
Ertiga is very nice to drive especially on the highway with the higher seating position compared to the Fiesta. Very decently spaced. But not sure if ZDI is worth the money at 10+ Lacs.
How you can prove 10+ is worth is, compare with Duster, Ecosport etc for a similar ABS Airbag model and you will realize the VFM quotient. Also I would say the Steel wheel option with 30k off on ZDi is the killer deal and the fact that it is a comfortable "6" seater and ironically my wife and mother like the 3rd row most.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 21st September 2013 at 13:30.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 14:40   #1436
BHPian

Quick update

Completed 20,000 kms with Ertiga Zdi in 13 months with a trip to Bangalore. Ertiga performed extremely well with 5 people ( +1 on baby seat) on board with luggage on roof.

Upgraded ICE to Blaupunkt Losangeles 500 touch screen DVD player (with steering mounted controls and bluetooth with external mic), paid of Rs. 20,300, for the unit and necessary connectors. Saved 1K, as the panel for fixing the unit was already available with the wooden interior styling kit from Maruti.

20,000km service was done at Popular Trivandrum for Rs. 9805.0

Cost of spares and consummables: 7939.8 ( includes 1005.5 as Tax)
Service charges: 1865 ( Tax 199)

Major Spares charged
1. Synthetic Oil: 3316
2. Diesel Filter:1580
3. Transmission Oil:856
4. Coolant: 615
vinodv001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:03   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Congratulations. If the vehicle needs to arrive from their plant, It will take couple of weeks. and then couple of days for the registration formality.
=======
So their production lines are surely running smooth and expect your car VIN to be of September Make(Too early for Oct)
Thank you. My vehicle is ready for delivery, but not the ZDi with steel wheels which I wanted. From talking to the SA, most of their vehicles seem to be ZDi with alloys & though I'm willing to look at other colors, they dont seem to have ZDi with steel wheels currently. Looks like I will invoice & pay in Sept & take delivery in Oct. Car is most likely Aug make (yet to get confirmation).

Quote:

How you can prove 10+ is worth is, compare with Duster, Ecosport etc for a similar ABS Airbag model and you will realize the VFM quotient. Also I would say the Steel wheel option with 30k off on ZDi is the killer deal and the fact that it is a comfortable "6" seater and ironically my wife and mother like the 3rd row most.
I too felt the same & hence upgraded booking from VDi to ZDi with steel wheels, but the vehicle ready for delivery now is the ZDi with alloys. I'd already stretched my budget by upgrading once from the petrol to diesel variants (VXi to VDi).

But the SA tells me they've received intimation of a price hike by Maruti from Oct & it will be in the range of 25K for the Ertiga! So that leaves me with no option but to take the ZDi with alloys. Dont want to end up paying almost the same in Oct & not even get ZDi with alloys!

Also, the dealer (Pratham Motors) was strongly trying to discourage me from:
  • Pre delivery inspection, stating that they would check the vehicle very thoroughly & I can completely trust them, the stockyard is very far away & it is unnecessary on my part
  • Buying insurance from outside as he says their insurance (through tie up with an insurance company) has the 'Maruti' stamp on it which makes claims easier. However, I'm getting it 5-6K cheaper outside from NIC due to an employee discount
From various threads, I know Team BHP members strongly recommend PDI & also shopping around for insurance. Any reason to skip on these 2?
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:45   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.[*]Pre delivery inspection, stating that they would check the vehicle very thoroughly & I can completely trust them, the stockyard is very far away & it is unnecessary on my part[*]Buying insurance from outside as he says their insurance (through tie up with an insurance company) has the 'Maruti' stamp on it which makes claims easier. However, I'm getting it 5-6K cheaper outside from NIC due to an employee discount[/list]From various threads, I know Team BHP members strongly recommend PDI & also shopping around for insurance. Any reason to skip on these 2?
Whatever the dealer says, even though you have to travel 50kms or more for pre delivery inspection please do it. Remember you are paying close to 10lakhs and you have to live with the car till you buy the next
athanedar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:50   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
Whatever the dealer says, even though you have to travel 50kms or more for pre delivery inspection please do it. Remember you are paying close to 10lakhs and you have to live with the car till you buy the next
That's a nice way to put it - I may live with it for 10 years who knows!
So I will do the PDI. It is close to 11 lakh on the road in Bangalore.
The SA said he will try to get the vehicle to the dealership from the stockyard to save me the trouble of going there. Is this common? I wonder if this will do more harm than good as the vehicle will need to be driven to the dealership & back to the stockyard, since my delivery will be after 5th Oct only!
Old 23rd September 2013, 18:41   #1440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a nice way to put it - I may live with it for 10 years who knows!
So I will do the PDI. It is close to 11 lakh on the road in Bangalore.
The SA said he will try to get the vehicle to the dealership from the stockyard to save me the trouble of going there. Is this common? I wonder if this will do more harm than good as the vehicle will need to be driven to the dealership & back to the stockyard, since my delivery will be after 5th Oct only!
From what you are saying, Dealer has stock of more than one ZDi and you are being lured into buying one. Since we can never predict the price hikes/discounts etc. It is finally your call.

August/Sept is still a good date to have on VIN. But you can still do PDI and if you see something unpleasant about the car you buy, look for another Zdi option.

Most Viewed