Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 11:07   #1456
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Burning rubber smell in my Ertiga ZXi

During my last drive on Mumbai-Pune Expressway, I drove around 90 - 100 KMPH for more than 20-30 KM.
The AC was also ON full time. Then I observe a smell inside the car like tyre / rubber burning smell.
I did not install an AC filter in my car. The AC was in re-circulation mode.

The smell was for about 2-3 mins then it was normal.

Is this normal?

But no issue on the car was observed. The car drives like as it is.
Old 26th September 2013, 13:56   #1457
BHPian

Hi Kalina,

I have a similar experience, however not with Ertiga but with my Santro. On Pune - Nashik highway, I observed burning smell. The windows were all rolled up and AC was on in re-cirluation mode (just like your case). I too was suspecting the smell coming from engine, however when I rolled down the window, realized that it was outside smell - some tyre burning in nearby area. The smell was gone after a few minutes, thus confirming that it was not from my car.

I think the recirluation mode is not 100% re-circulation.

I don't think you need to worry about this.
Old 29th September 2013, 02:25   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddy6980 View Post
since the temperature was normal proceeded to the service station, they connected the diagnostic tool and it showed that the Boost pressure solenoid was faulty, the mechanic unplugged the connection and connected again, the check engine light went away, now according to the service center guys this seems to be a problem with some ertigas and they have solved it by replacing the solenoid under warranty, since they didn't have the stock they asked me to continue the journey and change it when i reach Bangalore.
Did you get it checked after coming back to Bangalore? Did Maruti change it?
Old 29th September 2013, 18:25   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
Hi Kalina,

I have a similar experience, however not with Ertiga but with my Santro. On Pune - Nashik highway, I observed burning smell. The windows were all rolled up and AC was on in re-cirluation mode (just like your case). I too was suspecting the smell coming from engine, however when I rolled down the window, realized that it was outside smell - some tyre burning in nearby area. The smell was gone after a few minutes, thus confirming that it was not from my car.

I think the recirluation mode is not 100% re-circulation.

I don't think you need to worry about this.
Thanx for the reply.

Yes, I am suspecting the same . The re-circulation mode is not 100% re-circulation.

This weekend also done Pune-Mumbai on expressway with same speed and AC on. No smell or nothing.
Old 30th September 2013, 14:54   #1460
BHPian

Hello Bhpians, My Ertiga Zdi is due for 3rd service (10k Odo). My question is, is changing to synthetic mandatory ? What would be the estimated cost if I stick to mineral oil ?
Old 30th September 2013, 15:01   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Burning rubber smell in my Ertiga ZXi

During my last drive on Mumbai-Pune Expressway, I drove around 90 - 100 KMPH for more than 20-30 KM.
The AC was also ON full time. Then I observe a smell inside the car like tyre / rubber burning smell.
I did not install an AC filter in my car. The AC was in re-circulation mode.

The smell was for about 2-3 mins then it was normal.

Is this normal?

But no issue on the car was observed. The car drives like as it is.
I too felt the same last week. I drove about 800 kms last weekend (21 / 22nd) and while switching OFF the A/C recirculation mode I sensed a burning smell. I thought it is coming from the road side and switched ON again. Half hour later I again sensed the same when I switched OFF recirculation mode. This time instead of blaming it on road I pulled over to a safe place, let the engine idle while I switched OFF the A/C. I opened the bonnet and I could sense same burning smell. I guess the whole engine bay was excessively heated due to engine heat and the excess heat from environment. It was 42 degrees and I was near the costal town of thuthukuddi. I allowed the engine to cool for 1/2 hour before I resumed. Later in the night while returning back I checked again in fresh air mode now there was no smell.
Old 30th September 2013, 16:36   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
I too felt the same last week. I drove about 800 kms last weekend (21 / 22nd) and while switching OFF the A/C recirculation mode I sensed a burning smell. I thought it is coming from the road side and switched ON again. Half hour later I again sensed the same when I switched OFF recirculation mode. This time instead of blaming it on road I pulled over to a safe place, let the engine idle while I switched OFF the A/C. I opened the bonnet and I could sense same burning smell. I guess the whole engine bay was excessively heated due to engine heat and the excess heat from environment. It was 42 degrees and I was near the costal town of thuthukuddi. I allowed the engine to cool for 1/2 hour before I resumed. Later in the night while returning back I checked again in fresh air mode now there was no smell.
Dies this mean that there is issue with engine cooling of Ertiga? Does Maruti Suzuki need to work on cooling system design to make sure the (de-) famed Indigo oveheating problem doesn't occur?

BTW, did you notice the instrument console, was there any warning sign or sort of?

Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 17:48   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Dies this mean that there is issue with engine cooling of Ertiga? Does Maruti Suzuki need to work on cooling system design to make sure the (de-) famed Indigo oveheating problem doesn't occur?

BTW, did you notice the instrument console, was there any warning sign or sort of?

Thanks
I don't think so. The engine temperatures is maintained at optimum level and gauges didn't indicate higher than normal operating temperature. But this smell could've easily emanated from rubber hoses or plastics used extensively in the engine bay. Isolating that and fixing would be impossible at this stage. Eventually when something gives up we will know what was vulnerable for heat deterioration. Anyway im planning to discuss this during my 3rd service due now.
ravigop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 07:00   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanand View Post
I need some advice [*]I decided to save myself Rs 1390 by not opting for the MGA floor mats which are reported to be crappy & instead get the 3D Kagu mats for 6.5K - liked this over the 3M nomad mats & vinyl flooring. However, now I dont get the MGA boot mat either since the floor mats + boot mat is a complete set. 3D Kagu mats provide foot mats only. Is there any place I can buy boot mat alone for Ertiga (with last row seats up)?[*]The SA has offered me a free accessory - either paint protection coating or underbody coating, but not both. These cost Rs 4K & Rs 4.5K respectively as per the accessory list. I live in Bangalore (not too wet) & may have to park my car outside quite a bit. Which 1 is suggested as higher value add & better savings? I read somewhere that paint protection isnt that useful & a car detailer told me the dealers dont do a great job.
Boot mat - You should be able to get one from the dealer himself(Replacement acc will be there right) or better from outside if that's good as dealer fitted mat is a total crap; hardly 2-3mm thick.

Paint protection from authorised centres advised if its a color that could fade easily (I mean non-white/silver). Better go for underbody coating with 5 years warranty from 3M. Not sure how much for Ertiga but for Fiesta, it was around 3600 INR if I am right.
Ask him for the product used and decide to go for the costliest so that you can get the other done out
Old 1st October 2013, 11:36   #1465
BHPian

Got 3M Nomad floor mats - black colour, installed on my Granite Grey ZXI from 3M Care Care, Basavanagudi.

Overall, satisfied with the outcome. Most of the problematic areas (read Biege flooring) is covered.

Costed Rs. 5490 + VAT.

Also got the Paint Protection Film (PPF) installed on the handles and door edges. Rs. 1400.

Now, mainly looking for a good steering cover. Had called Devaraj (JC Road). Planning to go there tomorrow.

Rgds
Suhas
Old 1st October 2013, 13:39   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blr_RK View Post
Got 3M Nomad floor mats - black colour, installed on my Granite Grey ZXI from 3M Care Care, Basavanagudi.

Overall, satisfied with the outcome. Most of the problematic areas (read Biege flooring) is covered.

Costed Rs. 5490 + VAT.
The 3m nomads are fantastic mats. Absorbs water and dust and leaves the surface clean most of the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blr_RK View Post
Now, mainly looking for a good steering cover. Had called Devaraj (JC Road). Planning to go there tomorrow.

Rgds
Suhas
Try out Karlsson, if you are in Bangalore. They make the steering cover with the best for and finish. :-)
Old 1st October 2013, 15:58   #1467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Boot mat - You should be able to get one from the dealer himself(Replacement acc will be there right) or better from outside if that's good as dealer fitted mat is a total crap; hardly 2-3mm thick.

Paint protection from authorised centres advised if its a color that could fade easily (I mean non-white/silver). Better go for underbody coating with 5 years warranty from 3M. Not sure how much for Ertiga but for Fiesta, it was around 3600 INR if I am right.
Ask him for the product used and decide to go for the costliest so that you can get the other done out
Mine is a granite grey, so planning to get the 'free' paint protection treatment from Maruti.
Regarding underbody coating, the more expensive one with sound deadening properties from 3M is Rs 3790 + tax. 3M will give a 5 yr warranty + 10 free inspections on this one, but the dealer said no warranty given, so worth getting from 3M. Also doubt the dealer gives the more expensive rubberised underbody coating (though his quote on accessory list shows Rs 4000)!

I also have to buy seat covers like any other Ertiga owner to protect the biege covers. Leather is too expensive & smells of leather which I dont prefer! Art leather gets heated up & may cause allergies also I'm told. So planning to put fabric covers over the existing beige fabric. This doesnt seem to be as per today's trend where most people go for either leather or art leather! I'll ask on the seat covers thread, but any suggestions from Ertiga owners here for fabric covers in Bangalore?

The SA told me price has increased by about Rs 12K from today for the Ertiga. Offers for this month are yet to come though. Glad I was able to pay last month itself.
Old 2nd October 2013, 14:25   #1468
BHPian

Quote:

Mine is a granite grey, so planning to get the 'free' paint protection treatment from Maruti.
Regarding underbody coating, the more expensive one with sound deadening properties from 3M is Rs 3790 + tax. 3M will give a 5 yr warranty + 10 free inspections on this one, but the dealer said no warranty given, so worth getting from 3M. Also doubt the dealer gives the more expensive rubberised underbody coating (though his quote on accessory list shows Rs 4000)!
Ya Most dealers does only the one time thingy which does not cost more than Rs.2000.

Quote:
I also have to buy seat covers like any other Ertiga owner to protect the biege covers. Leather is too expensive & smells of leather which I dont prefer! Art leather gets heated up & may cause allergies also I'm told. So planning to put fabric covers over the existing beige fabric. This doesnt seem to be as per today's trend where most people go for either leather or art leather!
Better. Art leather for a country like India for its weather is not that comfortable. Having used Fiesta with art leather seat covers in Madurai, I used to sweat at the whole of my back even with that powerful Ford aircon! Very uncomfortable at times.(I usually sweat a lot is another thing)

But that was preferred for ease of cleaning and just to save the seats from my niece and nephew

So, this time for ertiga I am just waiting for them to tear of that crappy green polythene seat protector and then decide on it. Lets see.

As you said, many people go for art leather (it looks great actually) and so not many options for fabric covers as far as I have seen. How about going back to Amby's age? Turkey towel stitched covers

Last edited by ganesc : 2nd October 2013 at 14:33.
Old 2nd October 2013, 17:04   #1469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I also have to buy seat covers like any other Ertiga owner to protect the biege covers. Leather is too expensive & smells of leather which I dont prefer! Art leather gets heated up & may cause allergies also I'm told. So planning to put fabric covers over the existing beige fabric. This doesnt seem to be as per today's trend where most people go for either leather or art leather! I'll ask on the seat covers thread, but any suggestions from Ertiga owners here for fabric covers in Bangalore?

The SA told me price has increased by about Rs 12K from today for the Ertiga. Offers for this month are yet to come though. Glad I was able to pay last month itself.
If you want fabric seat covers, stick to the default ones. I loved its feel and premium quality

Only when it gets dirty beyond control you can think of seat covers

Also 3M does foam based upholstery cleaning which you can do once a year
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:10   #1470
BHPian

Hi - I own a Ertiga VDI and have run around 5000 Kms in 6 months. My car is in for its 2nd free service and have pointed out to the Service Advisor (SA) regarding rust covered parts in the engine bay (see pictures below). The SA has informed me that they are part of the exhaust assembly and piping and they treated for such a "rusted" finish. Can the members confirm if this explanation offered by the SA is correct and it is the same in their cars ?
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks