Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 10:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Great vehicle. Should satisfy a lot of people's requirement.

The ground clearance will be a major trumpcard for this vehicle as does the wheelbase on long journeys.

How does it fare in cargo vs others in different configurations of 3rd row. That is missing in the table.

Last edited by srishiva : 26th April 2012 at 11:00.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:38   #62
BHPian

Excellent review. I guess a lot of points mentioned by you are what I felt as well on my TDs. However, I still feel the last row space and middle row with last row folded, are not so bad as indicated by you. I guess probably you are more than 6 ft and hence might have found the space less. I found the same comfortable across the 3 rows, I am 5'10".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Two ways of using it as spacious 5 seater:

a) Push the middle seat fully backwards to liberate class leading leg space. (Use third row as a seat for luggage and seat belts as harness).

b) Push the middle seat (for 2) fully backwards. pull (or fold) one seat of middle row forward. Use one of the third row seat for luggage with seat belt as harness and the other seat for relaxed seating with acres of space to spread legs :-).

Anyways the leg-space constraint may be felt only if you have at least 3 six footers in the family. It is non-issue otherwise.
. Space for average sized adults is definitely not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Nice review with helpful pictures. Good job. Saw an Ertiga yesterday at trivandrum and its shorter than I thought. Like GTO said, I would use the Ertiga as a spacious 5-seater with loads of space.
It can seat 6 avg adults comfortably. I suggest you check the vehicle yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
+1. I would use this as a spacious 4/5 seater than using it as a 7 seater. It's no way comfortable 7 seater for long distance rides.

Since the day I saw this car on Auto Expo thread, I have been saying that this will be more of a competition to hatchbacks and sedans rather than competing directly with Innova and Xylo. Let's see what sales chart proves.

By the way, another excellent review.
Agreed. This does not have the space and comfort of an Innova for sure, but believe me this is comfortable for average height adults across the 3 rows. I also do not agree the last row is only for Kids. I suggest you personally check the vehicle. If you are 6ft and above you will find the space less, not otherwise
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 10:40   #63
BHPian

Excellent review. Maximum attention to the minutest details. Looking forward to the Ford EcoSport review once it's officially launched here.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:56   #64
BHPian

Excellent review Vid. You have covered all aspects that even Maruti might not be able to explain as succinctly as you have. Especially the various combinations of the 2nd and 3rd row seats and the ergonomics/comfort.

The compact dimensions of the Ertiga coupled with a competent engine (especially the diesel) augurs well for the LUV against the likes of Innova. Sure, the 2nd and 3rd row space is limited, but with the superior HP/weight ratio & engine peppiness and relatively lower maintenance costs, this one should eat into the Innova sales.

Good to see ABS option on all variants except the LXi. Bigger brakes compared to the Swift/DZire is a definite plus.

The overdoes of beige in the cabin is not to my taste. The steering wheel and AC panels atleast could have been retained in black.

Long wait periods does not come as a surprise. Hopefully this should reduce the wait periods of the Swift & DZire.
Old 26th April 2012, 11:24   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Other Points:
Quote:
Removing altogether I have not tried being a media vehicle.
Hi, nice review folks and thank you for that. Just out of curiosity, did Maruti not officially invite Team-BHP for a review? I ask this because I couldn't find the usual disclaimer that accompanies official invite reviews. However, your later post does indicate that this is a "media vehicle". Just generally curious as to whether you had to source a vehicle independently or did they invite you on the whole media invite.

Separately, Suhaas mentioned ideal for Soccer moms. I can somewhat relate to that. I wouldn't be able to convince my wife to trade her hatch for something as large as an Innova. However, she might be open to considering something like this since within an acceptably small external footprint, it provides space as well as flexibility on different kinds of within city commutes. This for a family that has husband, wife, one child, one parent, one nanny and a driver (though driver primarily is used by me for my work) etc.

Entire family traveling with driver for a family function - check.
Wife traveling to mall with baby and nanny with shopping and a pram in the back - check;
Wife and I traveling with baby with a driver (and pram at back) - check.

You get the picture - essentially provides the flexibility for more permutations where you may sometimes feel stuck with a conventional 5 seater, however comfortable.

Conversely, I do recognise that it is neither an exceptional 5 seater nor an exceptional 7 seater (I think someone else somewhere made this point too, can't remember for sure). Its trick of course is that it is acceptable as both. This may work for some or not, depending on personal requirements and preferences.

I myself am confused whether I'd rather have a 5 seater sedan for the wife like Vento / Sunny, which will definitely provide more comfort in its 5 seats and an excellent boot or go for the cleverly packaged Ertiga. The big question is - will I ever miss the extra 2 seats and if so, how often? I guess I have 12 - 18 months more before I am required to take that decision.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th April 2012 at 11:39.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 11:50   #66
BHPian

Great review and an amazing vehicle! I really don't know how to picture this vehicle mainly due to its size. May be I'll be content when I see one on the road. It looks Jazzy-nova from the back and RitZwifty from the front.

Also, I don't know why the "neither a 5 seater nor a 7 seater" / "neither here nor there" argument comes into the picture on many occasions. When automobile companies design a vehicle, they take a L-O-T of things into consideration and am sure that the "average Indian's height" would be one of the key factors in designing the Ertiga. Taking an average height of about 5'6" I think Maruti has done exceptionally well to come up with such a "spacious" design in such a small foot-print.

One thing I didn't like much is the way Maruti makes "generic" LEGO-like parts for its vehicles. The Gear knob, the dashboard, steering, etc. are all too familiar. The rear A/C vents look so boring and boxy-square and so does the fan speed knob. They go all the way in creating a "new" design ... and after designing a great vehicle, they end up compromising on tiny features that make the difference between a "slick and smooth interior" to a "borrowed from XYZ" interior. Examples include the power window buttons, gear knobs, A/C vents, panel fittings on doors, etc.

They need to improve on their UI (User Interface) Styling
vsathyap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 12:19   #67
Senior - BHPian

Re: Interiors

Thank you for your unbiased and detailed review buddy. I did check out the Ertiha & I fully support your following views -

Quote:

• Not a spacious 5 seater, if you fold down the 3rd seat row for luggage. Limited width for the 2nd row too
Quote:
The issue with the Ertiga is that, it is neither a spacious 5 seater with loads of luggage space, nor is it a roomy 7 seater. More on that later.
The Xylo E8 still remains the best VFM 7 seater MPV to buy.

On the other hand, if you have luggage and need to fold down the 3rd seat row, then the 2nd row needs to slide (nearly) all the way forward. This seriously hampers legroom for middle-row passengers and is almost unusable for 6 footers like me. This is a serious oversight from Maruti, a solution for which is available.
If I want a spacious 5 seater, I am better off with a sedan like the Vento or Verna which will be more comfortable and will have a spacious boot too.

If I want a spacious 7 seater, I will consider the Innova (if I have that budget) or Xylo (costs almost the same as Ertiga) as they are 'proper' 7 seaters.

The problem with Ertiga is - it is neither here nor there. And to top it all, the bigger problem is the pricing of the diesel, which is too close to the Xylo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Conversely, I do recognise that it is neither an exceptional 5 seater nor an exceptional 7 seater (I think someone else somewhere made this point too, can't remember for sure).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2746949

Last edited by raj_5004 : 26th April 2012 at 12:28.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 12:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

In one way, as ajay0612 opined, some luggage of the softer but voluminous kind could be carried in the third row seats which almost everybody does on the rear seats of a hatch and can travel in 'space' (courtesy Maruti Omni ad of yesteryear).
Leave aside the comparison with Innova and Xylo and one would get many a usage option of the Ertiga.

Last edited by rajeev k : 26th April 2012 at 12:28.
Old 26th April 2012, 12:33   #69
Senior - BHPian

What an awesome review!! Just when you thought T-BHP reviews cant get any better, one comes out beating all earlier ones

Why was there a delay? Even though it was so late, it was worth the wait!!

My thoughts are similar - if I buy this, it will be modified and used as a 5-seater.
Are the seats removable AND re-installable as well? If not at home, atleast in the A** centre?

Chances are high that 50 weeks it will run as a 5-seater and 2 weeks as a 7-seater in a year..

A request - with only 5 seats, pls do one more official review focussing on the drive dynamics
Old 26th April 2012, 12:38   #70
BHPian

Excellent Review Vid!!!

Well just saw the vehicle couple of days back on road and for our viewing, Innova just stopped nearby in a signal and ertiga was looking more compact and I really liked the Ertiga. I am not a fan of the new age swift, but this vehicle is really spot on and has made me think for next upgrade, which was a sedan in my mind before this. I personally feel the exterior design is adequate which is what a normal customer needs. With the pricing of innova shooting over the roof off-late, ertiga is definitely a great option.
Old 26th April 2012, 12:42   #71
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review VID. Very well written, easy to read and very much in detail.

I was looking forward to the official stamp of Team BHP to see if the car is worth its price. It does seem so. When i checked out the Ertiga last weekend, the lever that folds the second row had already come off from the display car and was missing!!! I hope the Ertiga will be free of such niggles.
Old 26th April 2012, 12:43   #72
BANNED

Ideally, yes Ertiga should have 50:50 split 3rd row. But is it feasible? At least with this design no. Why? 50:50 3rd row would also mean 50:50 split 2nd row. This would enable the folded third row to slot into the 2nd row.

However, 50:50 3rd row with low shoulders and head rest (as suggested by Vid and many others) that slots inside the backrest is something that will release some space. Maybe it is something that we will see 3 years from now.

Overall a brilliant car from Maruti and another brilliant review on Team BHP. Thank you Vid. The waiting was worth it.

Last edited by anandjha : 26th April 2012 at 12:44.
Old 26th April 2012, 12:49   #73
BHPian

Great review but Ertiga really confuses a lot of people including me.

I feel the problem with it is its neither here nor there. Its doesn't do justice as a spacious 5 seater thanks to the constrained middle row leg room due to the folded third row. Nor is it a really proper 6 or 7 seater.

Most of the acquaintances I met who were waiting for the Ertiga are not really happy with the way it has turned out. I am sure there will be others who would find the Ertiga brilliant.

Price wise the petrol really is a great deal but who wants to buy a petrol nowadays. Diesel is really overpriced.

For me, I really cannot justify why would I buy an Ertiga at 10 lakhs. There's really no heart and looking at it practically also no real joy.

Cheers

Last edited by sahakar : 26th April 2012 at 12:50.
Old 26th April 2012, 12:50   #74
Team-BHP Support

Re: Interiors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias_6 View Post
Thanks for the detailed review !
One thing I was wondering about was the ingress / egress on the third row of seats and you got it covered. But the pictures seem to suggest that it might be a tad difficult for a well built (or fairly large) person to be able to get in and out , even with the second row all the way in front. Is that the case ?
The Ertiga seems to be another successful product from Maruti.
Not only will getting in and out be difficult for a well built adult. Once he is in he won't have space to site comfortably. As I mentioned best for average sized adults on short trips or for kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Brilliant review Vid6639. You really haven't left any questions to be asked. So, I will ask this. Do you have any pictures of the lower variants?
L variants have not even reached showroom. A colleague just booked a VDi which I had a close look at. From outside the only discernible difference are the alloy wheels and rear wash wipe. Inside the audio system is slightly different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Hey Vid, awesoem review! Just one request - how about helping us with the procedure to remove spare wheel? (with images). Did you guys try it out?
I don't have pics but there is a bolt below the plastic flap I mentioned which you need to unscrew using the wheel nut spanner. The wheel comes down and you just bend down and pull it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
If I want a spacious 5 seater, I am better off with a sedan like the Vento or Verna which will be more comfortable and will have a spacious boot too.

If I want a spacious 7 seater, I will consider the Innova (if I have that budget) or Xylo (costs almost the same as Ertiga) as they are 'proper' 7 seaters.

The problem with Ertiga is - it is neither here nor there. And to top it all, the bigger problem is the pricing of the diesel, which is too close to the Xylo.
Well, what happens when you want a bit of both? Occasional use of third row and you want a compact sized car.

If you get a Xylo as a 7 seater you lose out on driving dynamics. The Ertiga has far superior dynamics than a Xylo.If you buy a sedan you lose out on third row seating completely. The Ertiga offers you both.

Instead of saying it's neither here nor there I would say it's a little bit of both. It's a 7 seater that drives close to a sedan. You get best of both worlds with little compromise.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 12:58   #75
Team-BHP Support

This has got to be the most comprehensive review of any car on team-bhp ever! Tried to give 6 stars to the review.

- In the photos, the Ertiga looks like a slightly blown-up Ritz but on the road, it looks quite substantial.

- Maruti should've called it the Suzuki LUV. Ertiga sounds Spanish, and not in a good way.

Quote:
• Not a spacious 5 seater, if you fold down the 3rd seat row for luggage. Limited width for the 2nd row too
• 3rd row is best suited to adults for short trips, or kids over long trips. Not really a full-size 7 seater car
• Minimal 135 liter luggage capacity with all 3 rows of seats in place
All the 3 issues could've been sorted out in one go by allowing the 3rd row of seats to slide forwards and backwards, and of course, making it split-foldable.

No vehicle - not even the Innova - can carry 7 people and their luggage on long drives without using the roof rack. That means, when 7 people are to be ferried around, it will be mostly within the city limits (when no luggage space is required). So if the 3rd row could slide back and forth, the Ertiga could've easily carried 7 adults in relative comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Personally, I'd just throw away the 3rd row seat and use the Ertiga as a spacious 4 / 5 seater, with unbeatable legroom, comfort and luggage space. Hope it's easy to remove.
Beats the whole purpose of the Ertiga if it is used as a 4/5 seater. Spaciousness is a fairly important factor, but only up to a limit. It doesn't matter to the consumer that much as long as the car is not cramped.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed