Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 21:16   #226
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Vid,

Thanks for the review. I am in the market for a MUV/SUV for use on very bad roads* or no roads even. Could you pl critique the rough road capability of this car? Is the GC and hence its composure in bad roads comparable to a scorpio?

(* Read Semi Urban Mud Roads With zillion potholes due movements of trucks and rain damage, uneven speed breakers, construction rubble etc, )
Old 7th May 2012, 21:31   #227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Vid,

Thanks for the review. I am in the market for a MUV/SUV for use on very bad roads* or no roads even. Could you pl critique the rough road capability of this car? Is the GC and hence its composure in bad roads comparable to a scorpio?

(* Read Semi Urban Mud Roads With zillion potholes due movements of trucks and rain damage, uneven speed breakers, construction rubble etc, )
Bad roads are handled pretty decently by the Ertiga but you can't really compare it to the Scorpio. Incase of Scorpio where you don't need to slow down for mud roads with no tar, in case of Ertiga you need to go a bit slower. With no rear passengers the clearance is very very good and you don't have to worry about bottoming out but with a full complement of passengers I'm pretty sure the Ertiga will touch large speed breakers.

If it's just bad roads like village roads and not really like off beaten tracks in the forest then the Ertiga is capable of taking those with ease.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 00:53   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Bad roads are handled pretty decently by the Ertiga but you can't really compare it to the Scorpio. Incase of Scorpio where you don't need to slow down for mud roads with no tar, in case of Ertiga you need to go a bit slower.
In my experience with all sedans/Hatchbacks I have owned thus far - NHC, Vento, Swift, Ikon etc having a GC of up to 170 mm- None have been able to perform on unlaid municipal roads / village roads without constant maneuvering and compromise on speed .

I am seriously analyzing if the Ertiga with its 185mm will be able provide a better experience. It will be interesting to understand why larger MUV's like the scorpio despite the similar 185 mm GC are better suited for rough roads. Wonder if it is the suspension and larger wheels?

In any case would request the official review mechanism to factor in performance on suburban/municipal/village/unlaid roads - collectively called "B" Roads in the future.
Old 8th May 2012, 01:06   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
In my experience with all sedans/Hatchbacks I have owned thus far - NHC, Vento, Swift, Ikon etc having a GC of up to 170 mm- None have been able to perform on unlaid municipal roads / village roads without constant maneuvering and compromise on speed .

I am seriously analyzing if the Ertiga with its 185mm will be able provide a better experience. It will be interesting to understand why larger MUV's like the scorpio despite the similar 185 mm GC are better suited for rough roads. Wonder if it is the suspension and larger wheels?
Someone was pointing in the same thread that since the lowest point is taken to measure the GC, the rear wheel driven cars will have the differential housing influencing the measured GC even though the overall clearance will be much higher. Since the differential case moves along the suspension, it doesn't hit anything unless someone drives over a huge stone in the middle of the track.
In case of Ertiga, you also need to keep in mind the long wheelbase (2700 + mm) which will negate (to an extent) the relatively high GC of 185 mm.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:32   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Ertiga success repeats in Indonesia too!

Quote:
The Ertiga received close to 8,500 orders even before the official launch on May 7th, said Dimelza Sharindradini, Public Relations 4W PT Indomobil Suzuki Sales (SIS) to Okezone

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th May 2012 at 09:33.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 12:30   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
To each his own, but for many of the target-clientele, this car or for that matter any MUV is about the 3rd row.

I too was thinking about an AT option not being offered - even on the petrol. But not sure what you mean it is a fail without AT ? If offered on petrol, there would be very few takers. Even on the diesel, interest will be minimal, since the price would increase by ~50K atleast.

And regarding their current ATs being sub-standard, I am not sure which products you are referring to. AFAIK, there is the A*-AT (which is a great AT car in driveability and more importantly FE) and the new Dzire-AT (no idea about how good this is, but I dont remember it being called sub-standard either). And then the SX4-AT - is that bad ? Dont know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
What does that mean. 25K bookings in a mere 15 days speaks on the contrary.

My BIL is promised a delivery of Vdi in around a month.
That was just a personal point of view (my FAIL comments). I had always wanted to buy a Maruti given their sterling reputation, but unfortunately, I have not been impressed with their offerings. I feel the competitors products are better in many aspects, and I have been a beneficiary of the same. Its a pity that (a personal view - to each his own), Maruti has not capitalized its leadership position to offer class leading products with class leading innovations. Not launching Ertiga Automatic in both Petrol and Diesel is an evidence of the same - not to mention the absence of the Automatics in Swift and other well known Maruti models. India is at a tipping point in adoption of Automatics, and Maruti is not helping its cause. I have been repeatedly disappointed with this company of immense assets and potential. Of course, the "market" begs to differ, given their own reasonings. True success is also the ability to inspire and satisfy a broad set of people, in addition to numbers.
Old 14th May 2012, 09:12   #232
Senior - BHPian

^^^The absence of ATs in the lower end of the market is a complaint many have here and which is an issue across manufacturers, not just MSIL. If you look at the AT hatches available as of today, it is only the A-Star, i10, i20 & Dzire (not a hatch, but almost there) - all petrol of which 2 offerings are from MSIL and 2 from Hyundai. No diesel AT hatch is sold today. Honda/Toyoto and others have hatches to offer, but not even a single AT option - atleast these 2 should be lauded for giving us the few options in AT there are.

BTW, I saw my first Ertiga on road yesterday. Am driving my son and niece to swimming-lessons when I spot this white for-regn car coming towards me. My first thought is "Is this the mini-Xylo?" - because the front looked bigger than the Ritz. It was only after it passed by me and I saw the rear in the RVM that it hit me that it is an Ertiga. I think it has good road-presence from the front, inspite of being a compact 7-seater.
Old 14th May 2012, 10:19   #233

Thanks a lot Vid6639...

This review has helped me a lot to understand more about the Ertiga!! I have been to the Maruti showroom to have a look at the vehicle when I've heard that it is a serious competitor to Innova(By the way we just booked an Innova last week).
All I could say is there is no comparison between the two vehicles, be it the performance or the features of the vehicle.

Anyway thanks again for the review!

Old 14th May 2012, 14:55   #234
BHPian

The review is too good. I feel ERTIGA solves its purpose. Definitely it is not an alternative for Innova/Xylo or Scorpio. But for a family of 4 or 5 and occasionally seven members to travel, its a better choice than buying any other sedan. It could also be a better choice for those who feels a heavy hole in pocket for buying an SUV. Road presence is good. 20kmpl diesel for a seven seater. Economical for both buying and for maintaining.
Old 15th May 2012, 00:07   #235
BHPian

Good and detailed review. I had intially booked dusky brown ertiga zdi, but due to heavy waiting period, i could snatch away a dusky brown Vdi through some influence. Getting the same registered either tomorrow or wednesday.will post a complete review soon.
Old 15th May 2012, 07:17   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, I saw my first Ertiga on road yesterday. My first thought is "Is this the mini-Xylo?" - because the front looked bigger than the Ritz. It was only after it passed by me and I saw the rear in the RVM that it hit me that it is an Ertiga. I think it has good road-presence from the front, inspite of being a compact 7-seater.
You are right. Last week I saw a white Ertiga at Kozhikode while in an Auto near the Railway station from the rear, and I wondered which car is this and initially thought that it is a new outlander from the distance. Then it struck me Oh the Ertiga.
I had a mini vertigo of not identifying it at first glance on my first sighting on the street.

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th May 2012 at 07:21.
Old 15th May 2012, 08:02   #237
Senior - BHPian

Got delivery of my Serene Blue Ertiga ZDi yesterday. Here is a phone cam pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-20120515-07.49.23.jpg  

swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 08:17   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Got delivery of my Serene Blue Ertiga ZDi yesterday. Here is a phone cam pic.
Congrats for the new vehicle. I am in love with this color already. It looks fab.

Awaiting for a detailed review from your side. May you have more and more happy miles with your Ertiga.
Old 15th May 2012, 08:52   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19

Congrats for the new vehicle. I am in love with this color already. It looks fab.

Awaiting for a detailed review from your side. May you have more and more happy miles with your Ertiga.
Thanks so much for your kind wishes ankurvirmani. Will get a review up as soon as I can!
Old 15th May 2012, 10:44   #240
Senior - BHPian

@swiftdiesel, Congrats on the beauty. How much was it on-road ? No discounts I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks