Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2013, 00:52   #901
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
...By the way, I don't know what happens if you delete the song from the drive before putting back in. Never tested it.
It should start from the first file. When you delete or add new files, it disturbs indexing. I don't have the OEM unit, but my Kenwood does the same things you have mentioned.

As long as there is NO addition or deletion of files, it will continue playing from where it was stopped or taken out of the player.
Old 2nd February 2013, 03:24   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post

I have two silly questions myself here !
1) How does one switch on the small red light at the bottom of the rear bumper and what it is for ?

2) I am filling 35 psi in all 4 tyres. Slightly bumpy when there is three of us in the car , but it is better when theres 2 adults more and a kid. For my 195/60 R15 shoes,what should be the correct tyre pressure ?
To answer your 2 questions:
1) That's the rear fog lamp. Maruti Suzuki being a company based out of Gurgaon, a place where foggy conditions prevail in winter have given this important addition. Very useful IMHO. The switch is on the headlight stalk. You can only turn it on when the headlamps are turned on. Run your finger along the stalk and you'll notice a "ring" like indent; after turning on your headlight, turn this ring like indent on, with a clockwise click. Voila! You'll notice an amber indicator on the instrument panel.

2) 35 psi is way too high! No wonder your ride's bumpy. I fill nitrogen and I keep 33 in the front and 31 at the back. You can bring it down to my figures and check out.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:33   #903
BHPian

Just completed 21k with my ertiga. Here are few observations I would like to add here:
  • Build quality is really bad- I have started hearing some faint rattle sounds here are there. Mostly from the left back door. The car is just 6 mos old.
  • MJD 90HP engine is a pain for city driving. I would not recommend for folks who drive mostly in the city
  • OEM headlamps are the worst. Can't beleive it came with a 10L car.
  • 100% agree with GTO that Maruti should have made the 3rd seat optional
MASS in my city is quite good and impressive.
mohandas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:17   #904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
  • 100% agree with GTO that Maruti should have made the 3rd seat optional...
Why should it be optional? People who do NOT want it can remove it. Should be a matter of 10-15 minutes with anyone in an aftermarket shop.

Or why should people who do NOT want a 8 seater buy it? Am sure there are better 5 seater options.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd February 2013 at 11:18.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 13:46   #905
BHPian

The Maruti guys should really think over the power of Ertiga. The 90hp engine is preety decent but its power does not suit Ertiga. Maruti should really think over the engine specs.
The only thing they have done is just commonised the whole platform with Swift Dzire (CS). Put it side by side and you will know what I mean.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:55   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujay bhandare View Post
The Maruti guys should really think over the power of Ertiga. The 90hp engine is preety decent but its power does not suit Ertiga. Maruti should really think over the engine specs.
The only thing they have done is just commonised the whole platform with Swift Dzire (CS). Put it side by side and you will know what I mean.
Hi Sujay, when you say "The 90hp engine is pretty decent but its power does not suit Ertiga", I am not able to make out in what context you are saying this. Could you please elaborate it a bit further giving examples, like you were say 6-7 people on board & you were not able to pull cleanly over a bump or the car struggled over an incline with full passenger load etc. Giving real life experience will give more more credit to what you have quoted above. I am saying this because the owners of the diesel variant haven't complained about the lack of power so far.

On a side note. I can see so many Ertiga owners posting comments on this thread, but after a thorough search I could lay my hands on only 3 ownership reviews so far, those of Ajay, Nurni76 & Rajain. If you guys are aware of any other Ertiga ownership threads then please do share the links over here, would be really grateful. Would like to request owners like denver85, rahulrajeev, aaja45, #win, ultimatechamp, mohandas, swiftdiesel etc to start their ownership threads & share the links here (if not already done). Thanks in advance
Old 4th February 2013, 13:03   #907
BHPian

Quote:
The Maruti guys should really think over the power of Ertiga. The 90hp engine is preety decent but its power does not suit Ertiga.
Well in hindsight, this might all seem righteous, but lets face it, No Auto company had the imagination or conviction prior to Maruti! Also Sujay, I just Drive last night fully loaded to the Yeoor hills in thane for Dinner! It's a steep climb with an incline of close to 30* at one point!

My brother drove the Ertiga while i was follwoing in my cousin's Cruze Automatic(Diesel). We had issues with the revs but the Ertiga just breezed away(Which i was very apprehensive about)!

Agreed there areTurbo Lag issues in the initial 1.5k of RPM but then lets face it, The Car makers are not in this business to give us the BEST Solution at OUR best price!

I think we should stop beating and point Actual issues that owners face! Like the door rattle or Engine issues! I've noticed the suspension getting a little hard as months passed by, anyone else seen it-please point it right out!

Cheers,
P
parassoni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 13:07   #908
BHPian

Hello AutoIndian,
As you can see Ertiga shares the same platform, a little stretched one, with the new Swift and the Swift Dzire (CS). Also all these 3 cars share the same engine sourced from Fiat. I am talking about is a diesel motor and not petrol. This engine is also equiped in the Tata Vista, Manza and also in the Fiat cars like the Punto and Linea. So seeing all these vehicles, this engine is basically used heavily for hatchbacks and Sedans.

]At the same time using the same power unit in a MPV is really hard on imagining.
]Now what Maruti guys have done, they have kept the engine same but have made changes in the gearbox. Giving shorter gear ratios have made it quite maneuverable. But practically, driving this vehicle with no load is pretty much fun. But when you get the Ertiga loaded you will feel the difference of driving the same spec saloon/hatchback and a MPV. I am not talking with a full load of seven passengers, a fully loaded boot and working AC. Merely three passengers on board including driver and the AC unit working will show you the difference. There is a considerable turbo lag though a Variable Geometry Turbo is used. She pretty much lacks power till 2000 rpm. You have to continuously keep the gears shifting and keep the revs in 1800 to 2000 in order to maintain a fair pace.

Note from Moderator : Please use a notepad to copy paste or type directly into the tbhp editor. Do not use wordpad or word for copy paste function. Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th February 2013 at 14:01.
Old 4th February 2013, 15:21   #909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This engine is also equiped in the Tata Vista, Manza and also in the Fiat cars like the Punto and Linea. So seeing all these vehicles, this engine is basically used heavily for hatchbacks and Sedans.
The engine outputs & technology used in hatchbacks & sedans are totally different, though the capacity remains the same.

Quote:
At the same time using the same power unit in a MPV is really hard on imagining.
Do you know that the power to weight ratio of Ertiga is better than Innova? If Innova can pull people with load, why can't Ertiga?

Quote:
...You have to continuously keep the gears shifting and keep the revs in 1800 to 2000 in order to maintain a fair pace.
In a diesel, you do NOT frequently change gears. The best is to stick on to the right gears & make progress; NOT race! For a person who looks for fun-to-drive with that kind of load you are mentioning, this is NOT an option. This car is suitable more for cruising.

Having said that, when I TDed the car, we had a total of 5 well built adults in the car and I had enough fun in driving it. The key is to keep the engine boiling at the right RPMs. In this car, anyone should do an up-shift at 2500 rpm and you will not be disappointed.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 17:46   #910
BHPian

Power to weight ratio is not everything, rather at what stage the power is available is crucial. No point comparing the flexibility that Innova's 2.5L offers against the much smaller 1.3L engine in Ertiga.

Having said that, the Ertiga is no slouch on the highway, have touched 140without any fuss, felt it had reserves to maybe hit 150-160.

Having driven the swift ddis around 75k kms, i can remember only 1 instance where it gave up / and could not climb a very steep incline. Planning to drive up the same way with the Ertiga, let us see if the Ertiga can do better.

Never felt any lack of power driving up inclines with the Ertiga, neither did i have to keep the 'engine on boil' or anything. Just normal, sedate driving is enough. For city driving, there are better options out there. Innova scores over Ertiga here.

The day Ertiga was launched, me and wifey went to Bimal (BLR), checked out the vehicle, and came back confused.

Couple of days of intensive research, T-Bhp reading up of reviews etc, we were slowly realizing that as a package, the Ertiga met all my requirements (5pax+ luggage while offering the flexibility of 7pax if required, FE, brand, build, comfort etc). Off we went to Pratham, and we got the vehicle in a month after extensive followup. Ertiga Zdi 10.5L vs Innova top end 15.5L. For this 50% extra that i was paying, i was not seeing anything major being missed out from my requirements, except the 7 seats+luggage flexibility that Innova offered, and maybe a better ride.

Now having driven 12k, i can vouch for the fact that the Ertiga is not outstanding in anything particular (power/drive/space/build etc), but as a package, it is as good as it can get.

Last edited by xotiq : 4th February 2013 at 18:08.
xotiq is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 19:59   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The engine outputs & technology used in hatchbacks & sedans are totally different, though the capacity remains the same.
Could you elaborate on how technology used on the same engine is different for the said vehicles. I know the outputs can be varied and I have done that on testbeds. Tuning is the only thing that is done by the three companys.

Quote:
Do you know that the power to weight ratio of Ertiga is better than Innova? If Innova can pull people with load, why can't Ertiga?
Secondly, how can Innova be compared to Ertiga. Though they are seven seater, both are totally different. Thoug Innova has 102ps of power as compared to ertiga's 90ps, Innova has NO turbo lag which helps in minimizing gear shifts in city. For Ertiga you have to shift continuously. I am NOT talking for any race mood.

Quote:
Having said that, when I TDed the car, we had a total of 5 well built adults in the car and I had enough fun in driving it. The key is to keep the engine boiling at the right RPMs. In this car, anyone should do an up-shift at 2500 rpm and you will not be disappointed.
If you are saying 2500 rpm to up-shift then don't you think its a hard acceleration.

The only good things about Ertiga (If you really want to compare with Innova); Maruti brand, Low on maintenance and good on fuel economy.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th February 2013, 20:39   #912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you elaborate on how technology used on the same engine is different for the said vehicles. I know the outputs can be varied and I have done that on testbeds. Tuning is the only thing that is done by the three companys.
The 75 bhp variants use a Fixed Geometry turbo while 90 PS use a Variable Geometry Turbo (this is what I referred to as different tech). There could be more components which are different to achieve the better state of tune in 90PS variants - I don't know details of it.

Quote:
Secondly, how can Innova be compared to Ertiga. Though they are seven seater, both are totally different. Thoug Innova has 102ps of power as compared to ertiga's 90ps, Innova has NO turbo lag which helps in minimizing gear shifts in city. For Ertiga you have to shift continuously. I am NOT talking for any race mood.
For an Ertiga (or diesel in general), the key is to hold ON to the right gears without trying to shift early. In city, one has to keep to 2nd / 3rd gear with load to prevent frequent gear shifts.

Agree that Innova has a lag free engine and city driveability could be better.

Quote:
If you are saying 2500 rpm to up-shift then don't you think its a hard acceleration.
2500 cannot be called as hard acceleration for a diesel. That's the correct rpm to shift to remain in the turbo band.

Quote:
The only good things about Ertiga (If you really want to compare with Innova); Maruti brand, Low on maintenance and good on fuel economy.
The sales figures say that whatever you said in favor of Ertiga is making a strong case for itself. I prefer Innova for a people mover as I have more space. But from an efficiency perspective Ertiga takes the cake. I would love to use this car as a SPACIOUS 5 seater for highway drives.

Having said these, I strongly believe the regular bills will be lesser for Innova atleast till 1L kms! Ertiga is NOT exactly cheap when compared to Innova service costs.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th February 2013 at 20:45.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 21:01   #913
BHPian

Off topic.....
We are talking about 90hp engine. Not 75hp block. Today punto and Vista both use same engine. Only tune ups have been done.
And also for normal driving going till 1500 is more than sufficient. 2500 is really very large in citys.
Old 5th February 2013, 22:50   #914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Off topic.....
We are talking about 90hp engine. Not 75hp block. Today punto and Vista both use same engine. Only tune ups have been done...
Do you mean to say both Punto & Vista 90 PS uses the same engine components & FGT from 75 PS version?

Quote:
...And also for normal driving going till 1500 is more than sufficient. 2500 is really very large in citys.
I change gears in city < 1500 rpm even, if I am alone in my swift & I can drive the car without knocking the engine. It may not work when the car is loaded.

I believe we were talking about an Ertiga which is loaded, which requires frequent gear shifts in city - am I missing something?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th February 2013 at 22:51.
Old 5th February 2013, 22:56   #915
Senior - BHPian

Muck deterrent and scraping resistant lining: Don't know if anybody posted upon this already. I must have missed if somebody did highlight this. But just recently noticed a very specific lining on the skirting, the rear quarter panel that runs below the doors. It is extraordinarily smooth thick coating with granulated pattern. Observe and feel it and it seems to be made for a purpose to give that extra protection from muck remaining stuck there and avoid damage due to scraping. Quite a thing and atleast I don't remember having seen such a thing on any car. Seems like a well thought out thing.

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-020220131741.jpg
parsh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks