Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 17:10   #1981
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I believe the factory fitted HU in the top end Ertiga ZDi does not come with an inbuilt bluetooth functionality. If this is indeed true, then I would like to know from Ertiga owners, how have you overcome this lacunae and how are you managing to speak handsfree while in the Ertiga?
Hey AutoIndian, I have replaced my ZDI music system with Blaupunkt - San Diego 530. Bought it from SnapDeal and got a good deal (21000/-). It comes with TomTom India Map/GPS in a SD card, GPS antenna, Bluetooth, Output for headrest videos, reverse camera input, steering control inputs, all connectors required, remote etc. Over all a good buy. By paying 500/- you can get the black color case(slightly different from Ertigas original color) to fit this player into Ertiga. Or by paying 5500/- you can get Wooden frame from MGA.
sajanjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 20:10   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience with CASKA. At 30K his seems to be a good value. The ad also shows a free reversing camera with this unit, did you get it? Also from where did you get this fitted in your car?
Yes I got the reverse camera too. It's pretty good, crystal clear during day light and offers decent night vision too.

I sent a mail to Caska inquiry, who gave me numbers to two of their sales guys. I wanted to maintain the car warranty and wanted Maruti guys to do the fitting so I haggled a lot in both camps, Caska and Maruti - Chougule showroom and got this done my way. I picked up the stereo from audio kraft in rasta peth Pune, handed over the package to Maruti while accessories were being fitted and their guys did the fitting. The person doing the fitting said its absolutely socket to socket and was able to do it even though he never worked on a Caska before.

Quote:
What problems did you face while buying this unit? How much you had to pay for this unit?
I negotiated this for 28000 (down from 30K) and had to pay 500 for the Maruti fitter. If you get it fitted there, you wont have to pay that 500, and if you try harder, they will knock off some more. A shop in Aurangabad, my home town, offered the same unit for 26500 + 500 fitting. So I am sure there is room for more.

The problem was - when the fitting completed, we realized that the radio doesn't work. Since the fitting happened at Maruti, the Caska sales guy asked me to go to their service center in Rasta peth. Their, the Caska representative said this has to be repaired, and between him and the sales guy, they promised that they will replace the whole unit, not repair it, as it was brand new. Everything worked except radio, but that's kinda important :P.

I was promised a new HU in 3-4 days. I finally got it after one month. This was after countless follow ups with the sales guy here (who would be unreachable most of the time), and a representative from Caska Kolkata who was supposed to ship it from there (he didn't pickup calls sometimes), and a shipper from Kolkata (who would also disappear sometimes, and who shipped the unit to Mumbai and then to Pune)

Finally when it arrived, there was not way to know if it was brand new. The screen wasn't clean and had water marks (I was able to clean it later, but it made be suspicious), and the BT menu already had two mobile phones synced. The fitter said this must be when the HU got tested but how can you tell?

At the end of the day though, everything works really well, till now! fingers crossed. And I still have the old VDI unit just in case!

Quote:
Thank you for the invitation. If ever I finalize on the Ertiga, I am surely going to check out your Ertiga and the CASKA. Yes Mobilio was a big time disappointment, especially the pricing. Honda lost a good chance to eat into the pie of Ertiga and Maruti is not at all complaining.
Sure, most welcome! PM me anytime and we will work out something.
KedarB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 15:09   #1983
BHPian

Another Ertiga joins the club! We got delivery of Zxi yesterday. Looking for suggestions on few accessories. I took the prices from Kalyani motors,but are quite high i think.

Overall booking and delivery experience is just average. I had high hopes on Kalyani motors, but turned out to be just average. They couldn't get it done on the day they promised.

Any suggestions for rear bumber guard (hiker type), reverse parking sensor, rear spoiler. Anything else that can be a value add, please suggest.

Wishlist: If I could change the steering to a black one, it would be great. Is there any possibility of this?
Old 21st August 2014, 16:15   #1984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Any suggestions for rear bumber guard (hiker type)
Just one advise - Stay away! By installing this you will block the rear fog light completely which is a good to have safety element when you are driving in rains and bad visibility conditions.
Quote:
Wishlist: If I could change the steering to a black one, it would be great. Is there any possibility of this?
Well, the Limited Edition is launched with Black steering. So MGP Dealer would surely sell it over the counter. Getting hold of the right part number is a gamble as of now as the parts catalogue of the Ertiga will have details only for the beige steering.

You will have to buy The Steering wheel, The 3 Spoke base plate, the Suzuki Monogram equipped Horn cover as well as the Steering Audio control button piece in case you plan to order this in future.

However, I am also thinking if the Swift steering can be retrofitted to the Ertiga but still haven't verified this though am hopeful of this.

Else the best suggestion is to get hold of a renowned upholstery fellow and get the steering grip done. There are many who do a very clean job and stitch the cover so well that it looks almost OE.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 16:26   #1985
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Another Ertiga joins the club! We got delivery of Zxi yesterday.

Any suggestions for rear bumber guard (hiker type)

Congratulations for getting the ZXi.

I agree with Parag on staying away from these bumper guard. Rear spoiler you can get at MGA same would be be selling at the MGA shop.

The ZXi steering wheel from Swift can be retro-fit I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Just one advise - Stay away!
+1

Anurag.
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:33   #1986
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience with CASKA. At 30K his seems to be a good value. The ad also shows a free reversing camera with this unit, did you get it? Also from where did you get this fitted in your car?

What problems did you face while buying this unit? How much you had to pay for this unit?

Thank you for the invitation. If ever I finalize on the Ertiga, I am surely going to check out your Ertiga and the CASKA. Yes Mobilio was a big time disappointment, especially the pricing. Honda lost a good chance to eat into the pie of Ertiga and Maruti is not at all complaining.
It's a little late but here are some pics I clicked of the dash on my way to office, just to give you an idea of how it looks on the dash:

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20140820_095233.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20140820_095253.jpg
KedarB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:19   #1987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
It's a little late but here are some pics I clicked of the dash on my way to office, just to give you an idea of how it looks on the dash:
Thank you for sharing the pictures Kedar, looks awesome. It is gelling so very well with the dash, can't make out that this is an aftermarket fitment. Would you mind sharing the picture of the screen with the reverse gear engaged. Just want to get a feel of the reverse camera.

Even the ZDi that I test drove had a reverse camera fitted, however the display was mounted on the windshield, which I don't prefer. One query here, is the company fitted HU of the VDi and the ZDi models the same or are they different?
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:46   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Just one advise - Stay away! By installing this you will block the rear fog light completely which is a good to have safety element when you are driving in rains and bad visibility conditions.
Thanks Parag, very valid point. I didn't think about it. So dropping this idea.
guruji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:17   #1989
BANNED

Is it possible to fit the SX4's 16 inch rims with the 205 section tires? I feel it could improve the GC and as well make the car look more handsome.
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:51   #1990
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Is it possible to fit the SX4's 16 inch rims with the 205 section tires? I feel it could improve the GC and as well make the car look more handsome.
OEM Size - 185/65 R15
Upsize (1) - 205/60 R15
Upsize (2) - 225/50 R16

In Upsize (1):

The diameter will be the same but increase in width and a decrease in profile.

In Upsize (2):

With this change IMO, the diameter of your tyre will be 63.14 as opposed to 62.15 of OEM. The upside is increased width which translates to better Road contact and also with a downside of low profile which means settling for a slightly rough ride.

Hope this helps.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 22nd August 2014 at 22:15.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:26   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
OEM Size - 185/65 R15
Upsize (1) - 205/60 R15
Upsize (2) - 225/50 R16

In Upsize (1):

The diameter will be the same but increase in width and a decrease in profile.

In Upsize (2):

With this change IMO, the diameter of your tyre will be 63.14 as opposed to 62.15 of OEM. The upside is increased width which translates to better Road contact and also with a downside of low profile which means settling for a slightly rough ride.

Hope this helps.

Anurag.

I have MRF ZLO Upsize (1) - 205/60 R15 on my Ertiga . Love them . Superb ride comfort and the ride feels more planted .
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 21:07   #1992
BHPian

Has anybody explored installing double folding seat (single -left side) in the second row like in Mobilio. It makes getting in to third row a breeze. I am really keen on it. Any inputs on this will be appreciated.
Why Maruti has not done even that much really beats me.
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:21   #1993
BHPian

I have recently observed a pattern that whenever I get the tank full, the click sound comes at around 32 to 33 liters. According to the specs, the fuel tank is around 45 litres. If this is true, this means it has a reserve of 12 liters!
What about other owners? Does your tank gets full at around 32/33 liters?
Please share your observations.

Ertiga VDi 2013

thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:32   #1994
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
I have recently observed a pattern that whenever I get the tank full, the click sound comes at around 32 to 33 liters. According to the specs, the fuel tank is around 45 litres. If this is true, this means it has a reserve of 12 liters!

What about other owners? Does your tank gets full at around 32/33 liters?
Please share your observations.
Surprising actually, looks like the reserve capacity is indeed ~12 litres.

Anurag.
Old 23rd August 2014, 23:30   #1995
BHPian

I refill as soon as the fuel warning light comes up. Is it true that one can't try tankful method i.e when you keep driving even after the fuel warning light comes up and when the tank is totally empty , then only you fill the tank( in case of diesel)? Or is it just a rumor?

Most Viewed