Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2016, 16:37   #2851
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Thanks for the update.
Is there any way to get the new ecu settings on existing car.
I also had a ride in Ertiga VDi cab, SHVS one. The car was more comfortable than Dzire/Amaze that I usually take. Quite refined, zero vibes at rear and car was getting to good speeds on open stretches effortlessly. Rear seat comfort is nice for its size, ingress and egress is not much of a concern ( its higher than Mobilio ). Overall, a nice smart buy. Very few cars in that price range have such good space, versatility and efficiency on offer. No wonder, its selling quite well. Ertiga is a capable cruiser once at highway speeds even with full load. The newer Ertiga with SHVS seems to have reduced lag.
On expresshighway, I had a tough time in my Swift petrol catching up with Ertigas that were able to sustain high speeds even if overloaded. However, out of a toll gate, Ertiga is a bit slow to pick speeds up or so I observed.

When we come down to variants, Ertiga VDi is the most VFM in my view. Most of Ertiga cabs I have seen also happen to be VDi.

A disturbing trend I have observed is Ertigas' getting those bull-bars. This is for private car owners, cabs, in Gujarat or NCR. Those bull bars have a fender pole welded onto the left corner of bull bar.
With Innova moving upmarket, there could be good set of buyers looking forward to Ertiga. However, it would be a good move by Maruti to start offering in Ertiga the 1.5 ltr. M15 petrol motor they are planning to plonk under S-cross's hood. There could be market placement issue/overlap, but Ertiga deserves a more powerful petrol engine.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th August 2016 at 16:49.
Old 26th August 2016, 13:48   #2852
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I am looking to buy a petrol ertiga (vxi) soon. My usage will be limited to Bangalore city with average 10KM a day and a few 3-4 trips of around 1000KM average to-fro Bangalore per year. I have zeroed on petrol due to less fuss in terms of maintenance and light movement control (since my wife also drives).

I have 6.5 years old estilo and 3.5 years old santro. With my little daughter on board it is tricky for my mom and wife to sit with her on rear seat of santro or estilo. With a 7 seater I assume the width will be better and will always have an extra row of seats for more comfort.

It would be of great help to know the mileage details of petrol ertigas since being a van/suv class preference is mostly diesel. Also any information on ownership of petrol ertigas for 4-5 years will also help.

Regards,
Old 28th August 2016, 17:33   #2853
BHPian

Guys,

Is there any new version / face lift of Ertiga coming? I've seen Suzuki Ertiga Dreza on You tube and remember its from Indonesia. Pl. let us know if anyone has any such info on this. Also, any possibility of cruise control on Ertiga.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th September 2016, 19:58   #2854
BHPian

Experts- I've run into a bit of my problem with My 2014 Ertiga ZDI where I need your help.

The car went for its 40K regular service on 30th Aug to Green Cars- Koramangala Bangalore. There were absolutely no issues and it was just the regular service. The engine oil (synthetic) and Gear Box oil was changed, the front brake pads were replaced and wheels aligned/balanced along with general service.

I got the car back on 30th evening and while driving it home noticed that the car was not slotting correctly into 2nd especially while downshifting from the 3rd. After I got home I was able to replicate the issue, there are 2 distinct problems

1. Car does not slot into 2nd when the car is at a standstill (in Idle and when ignition is off)

2. Car does not slot into 2nd when I down shift from 3rd when in motion

3. There is no issue while slotting to any other gear or when I upshift sequentially (1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5). downshifting from 3 to 2 is when the issue occurs.

I went back to Green Cars on 1st Sep (Friday) and threw a major ruckus. They initially tried to convince me that it is not a problem and that these issues crop up as my car was getting "Old".After I created a major ruckus that I did not have this issue before service and I dragged the owner of Green Cars into the conversation, they lubricated the gear lever (Opened the center console in the car) and also bled the clutch upon my insistence. They requested me to drive the car for a couple of days and then come back if the issue persists. The owner also claimed that it could be a syncho mesh issue which may be causing this. I disputed this as I did not have even a small indication before giving it for service.

As of today, the issue exists but has now become intermittent. I took the car to the farm on Saturday and back which was 500 odd kms and did experience this behavior a couple of times only. I took the car out now to take my son to the doctor and both issues occurred (Did not slot into 2nd) and Did not downshift into 2nd.

My car is very well cared for. I have done 40K Kms is about a year and half and most of my mileage is on the highway. I have never had this issue before, Car has bumper to bumper insurance and extended warranty. Is there any know issue that causes this? What do I do next? Please help!
Caadmara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 20:41   #2855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caadmara View Post
Experts- I've run into a bit of my problem with My 2014 Ertiga ZDI where I need your help.

I got the car back on 30th evening and while driving it home noticed that the car was not slotting correctly into 2nd especially while downshifting from the 3rd. After I got home I was able to replicate the issue, there are 2 distinct problems

1. Car does not slot into 2nd when the car is at a standstill (in Idle and when ignition is off)

3. There is no issue while slotting to any other gear or when I upshift sequentially (1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5). downshifting from 3 to 2 is when the issue occurs.

The owner also claimed that it could be a syncho mesh issue which may be causing this.

My car is very well cared for. I have done 40K Kms is about a year and half and most of my mileage is on the highway. I have never had this issue before, Car has bumper to bumper insurance and extended warranty. Is there any know issue that causes this? What do I do next? Please help!
This is a classic case of synchronizer ring wear/failure and is a known issue in ertiga/swift.
The only solution is to open up the gearbox and replace the synchronizer ring for the 2nd gear. The replacement of the syncro rings should be covered under the extended warranty, try to push for a free replacement of the 1st gear syncro rings also, as these are the ones that wear out faster due to frequent usage.
Search the forum and you will finds lots of cases with same problem.

Last edited by interc00led : 5th September 2016 at 20:44.
interc00led is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 23:33   #2856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Search the forum and you will finds lots of cases with same problem.
Go through http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...failure-4.html
&

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4008546
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 11:21   #2857
BHPian

Thank you interc00led and arjithin!

I just spoke to Green Cars and they confirmed that the synchro rings will be replaced under warranty but I will need to pay for the clutch. I hear that there is a waiting list of cars (Swift/SX4/Ertiga) in queue for this replacement so they will need to check on part availability (replacement is being done at Suraksha motors). So clearly a widespread issue. This ideally should have been addressed through a recall, shame on Maruti!
Old 6th September 2016, 13:01   #2858
Senior - BHPian

Are there any similar cases with petrol ertigas as well? Just curious since planning to buy a petrol ertiga soon.

Regards
Old 6th September 2016, 13:17   #2859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Are there any similar cases with petrol ertigas as well? Just curious since planning to buy a petrol ertiga soon.

Regards
Limited to Diesels only.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 14:09   #2860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The car went for its 40K regular service on 30th Aug to Green Cars- Koramangala Bangalore. There were absolutely no issues and it was just the regular service. The engine oil (synthetic) and Gear Box oil was changed, the front brake pads were replaced and wheels aligned/balanced along with general service.

I went back to Green Cars on 1st Sep (Friday) and threw a major ruckus. They initially tried to convince me that it is not a problem and that these issues crop up as my car was getting "Old".After I created a major ruckus that I did not have this issue before service and I dragged the owner of Green Cars into the conversation, they lubricated the gear lever (Opened the center console in the car) and also bled the clutch upon my insistence. They requested me to drive the car for a couple of days and then come back if the issue persists. The owner also claimed that it could be a syncho mesh issue which may be causing this. I disputed this as I did not have even a small indication before giving it for service.

As of today, the issue exists but has now become intermittent. I took the car to the farm on Saturday and back which was 500 odd kms and did experience this behavior a couple of times only. I took the car out now to take my son to the doctor and both issues occurred (Did not slot into 2nd) and Did not downshift into 2nd.

BABA, your service station guys are wrong. Look at the chain of events.

1) Car performed well before service, things changed during service were engine oil and gearbox oil.

2) After service downshifting is a problem to 2nd from 3rd.

The conclusion is, the gearbox oil grade filled in your car is the wrong grade, its not the synchroniser rings that have gone kaput.

With the wrong gearbox oil, the first thing that the car will stop doing is, slot into 2nd gear from 3rd. Try doing the same thing in a cold car from 2nd to 1st and it will not slot too.

If they replace the synchroniser ring but fill the same gearbox oil, the same issue will continue because the issue is somewhere else and the solution presented is something else.

Last edited by humyum : 6th September 2016 at 14:11.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 14:16   #2861
BHPian

Hi All,

After a brief sojourn, I'm back to the forum with a small update. I sold my Ertiga Vxi after 2.5 years of fuss free ownership.

Reason:

Traffic from Tambaram to Airport in the evenings were becoming a pain. Thanks to the Metro Water work on GST Road for the last 1 year. The commute from Butt road till Ramapuram was even worse. In spite of the short throw clutch I was experiencing severe pain in my calf muscles. So, that's when I decided to sell my Ertiga for a premium hatchback with Automatic transmission.

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 6th September 2016 at 14:33.
Prodigy07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 15:01   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
BABA, your service station guys are wrong. Look at the chain of events.

1) Car performed well before service, things changed during service were engine oil and gearbox oil.

2) After service downshifting is a problem to 2nd from 3rd.

The conclusion is, the gearbox oil grade filled in your car is the wrong grade, its not the synchroniser rings that have gone kaput.

With the wrong gearbox oil, the first thing that the car will stop doing is, slot into 2nd gear from 3rd. Try doing the same thing in a cold car from 2nd to 1st and it will not slot too.

If they replace the synchroniser ring but fill the same gearbox oil, the same issue will continue because the issue is somewhere else and the solution presented is something else.
I am looking at the invoice for the Service and I see 2 Oil items
1. MGG0 (80W90)- Shell for Rs. 639 (I assume this is the gearbox oil)
2. Synthetic Oil (0W40)- Mobil 1 for Rs 3591.26 (Engine Oil)

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct grade for the Gearbox?
Old 6th September 2016, 15:11   #2863
BANNED

Quote:
1. MGG0 (80W90)- Shell for Rs. 639 (I assume this is the gearbox oil)

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct grade for the Gearbox?
Yes, that is gear oil.

75w90 or 80w90 can be used as gear oil
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 15:56   #2864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes, that is gear oil.

75w90 or 80w90 can be used as gear oil
Nope, 75w90 only as in a place like Bangalore where he stays and temperature can get into single digits in the morning and transmissions oils unlike engine oils take a lot longer to reach operating temperature, 80w-90 will make it hard to shift into 2nd from 3rd and 2nd into 1st for quite some time. Even f1fan has tried this out on his Dzire diesel and so have I on my Swift Diesel and 75w-90 is what Maruti recommends and should always be filled.

There have been times where in I have waited for a month plus to find and change this oil in my Swift Diesel, so much so that the Maruti Authorised Service Station in Ghatkopar stores only 75w-90 after I kept on recommending them to keep this oil instead of 80W-90 while explaining the obvious benefits.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 23:29   #2865

Ertiga ZDI+SHVS, purchased on 16-May-2016, 5000 kms completed.
2nd Free service @5000 kms done day before yesterday.
Display showing Avg mileage of 16.4kms/lt
Instantaneous mileage display shows it ranging from 5 kms/lt to 30 kms/lt. depending on gear and RPM.
3 long drives -
1) around 1800kms - Blore-Pune-Sangli-Blore
2) around 850 kms - Blore-Hubli-Blore
3) around 750 kms - Blore-Chennai-Blore (via Kolar)

Driving on NH4 in Ertiga is a pleasure. Have been owning car since 2001 and the scary experience with Ertiga was sudden braking at very high speeds. If driving at high speed, then make sure u start reducing speed well in advance, sudden braking is not advised for Ertiga.

Drive to Chennai (with 5 adults and 2 kids), had a single lane stretch for some 100 odd kms. Ertiga acceleration is very good and overtaking trucks in this stretch was essential and quite comfortable. Temperature outside in Chennai was 35 degrees hot and humid, but inside it was pretty cool with fan speed on 2 or 3. Second row and 3rd row were collapsed for seating/sleeping of 3 adults & 2 kids. Enough spacious in this configuration.

Overall quite pleased with Ertiga's pickup, acceleration, speed, AC performance, ground clearance, seating comfort. Reverse camera is a boon for my daily parking in my parking slot in our Housing Society.

Most Viewed