Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:45   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Isn't the Laura smaller compared to Jetta? I don't think one would cross shop between two. Even if someone does, one could get a better engine but cant compare the cars.
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:19   #47
BHPian

^^The size of Laura is equal to pre-gen Jetta. The new one only has slightly longer wheelbase and hence more rear leg room. Otherwise, the size of both belong to same segment.

Wonderful review Rehaan, disappointed with the engine as expected earlier. Its no match to Laura engine and the only thing better compared to Laura car perse is the more modern exterior shape and airbags. Everything else, Laura TSI beats Jetta TSI hollow. Laura does come with Traction control and its called ASR.
v.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:25   #48
BHPian

Nice review!

I would thank VW for launching this whenever they do. It will make me realise how much more VFM my T-jet+ is. It might have better space at rear but the owners of turbo charged engines are less likely to use the rear seat. Many users would be traveling alone or with just one companion 80% of time.

It would make sense for them to launch this engine on Vento (replace 1.6) at price bracket of 8-10 lacs. There are people who will still select (at a particular price point) a petrol with great performance over a diesel with decent performance.
Old 2nd July 2012, 19:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Great Review Rehaan.

I personally feel that this car will have few takers in an immensely competitive market. The pricing is still awry like its diesel counterpart and up by at least 2 lacs. In an overly price sensitive market like India, VW will garner only a few loyalist for this version. For it to push beyond the 500 cars/month mark it needs to perk up and look at customer requirement for this category and add features like Auto AC, a reliable Auto Box, a better front end, better AV system, Bluetooth as default, Real leather etc.

A fantastic (audi-ish) rear end is just not enough for a discerning buyer to choose this version.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:26   #50
BHPian

Terribly Kitted car with a premium price tag. Just like the 1.6 Petrol Jetta, wont see at all. I dont undestand why a company like VW who have a great success story in Skoda India, manage to completely screwup their premium brand strategy. I mean if i'm paying 15L for supposed petrol luxury sedan, I want to blow past anyone who paid anything less than me for their's.. lol.. Look at the comparison - 1L more and u can have the VRS which is a far superior petrol sedan with great equiptment.
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:17   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera555 View Post
You wrote 'Improved space; rear seat can easily accommodate taller occupants'. Does that mean they have made ergonomic changes with the seats as compared to the Diesel ongoing model?
Nope, that is in comparison to the previous gen Jetta (its also mentioned as a high point in the Jetta TDI Official Review thread).

cya
R
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:49   #52
Senior - BHPian

A big let down. A segment where an attractive engine spec and a few here and there could have cut into the buying minds. Now Jetta petrol will continue be the lone non seller from VW stable like it was before.

Laura looks far more attractive and even better is the superb petrol mid trim.
Old 4th July 2012, 17:26   #53
BHPian

This car will shine as the newest entry among the diminished value D-segment cars http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ura-et-al.html. It also seems like it will be a great value as a cheap used car in 6 months and join this list of vehicles http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...als-crash.html !
vishwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 06:57   #54
BHPian

Great Review, I have to say!
My Concerns
- God Knows where the Auto makers are taking us enthusiasts to, in India I mean!
- Slowly the trend sets in making the customer be happy with such options. What I mean is - One should spend around 15-16L on the road and drive home a 1.4!!
- Specially , with companies from Volkswagen , where there are great expectations of Really Powerful cars, say a much more refined,tweaked, remapped(with a little more torque and horses under hood) version of that 1.8TSI(of the Laura) must have been on the cards! And, I wonder if it is really so Expensive for that manufacturer to give so many more torques and horses. Moreover, I majorly doubt the section of Customers who are really bothered about that extra mile or two they get for every litre, noting the segment we are talking about!
- The number of cars a real enthusiast can look at is just ONE in each Segment!! :O viz. the linea , next is the laura, and then the other Germans!

- There are hardly new cars in the market that are getting the upgrades in the performance sectors.
- I agree that Technology in terms of power delivery in the modern Turbos are superior and highly appreciable, and of course they don't get you feel underpowered while behind the feel.. but I strongly believe there's no alternative for sheer Displacement, I mean for that last rush of Adrenaline in any spirited driver!
- In New York, what I get for USD20000(Talking of INR1100000-INR1200000 range) is a VW Jetta 2.0 petrol or an AccordV4... and here we will be talking about cars like Vento/City___an entire lower segment altogether!! Was just comparing prices of cars in other countries and was a little shocked to know there's a huge difference!
Old 7th July 2012, 11:47   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vish_wagon View Post
Great Review, I have to say!
My Concerns
- God Knows where the Auto makers are taking us enthusiasts to, in India I mean!
If I am the car maker, my question is :

"Where are these enthusiasts?

We made true enthusiast's delights like the Palio 1.6, Octavia vRs, Mondeo, Fiesta 1.6, Linea T-Jet, Laura TSI, etc... but nobody bought them."

The driver's cars have all but disappeared. Given the discounts that Fiat and Skoda are having to give to push the Linea T- Jet and the Laura TSI, it won't be long before you'll find these cars in the obituaries.

I think the rationale with big cars and small engines here in India is that our cities, (where most of the action is) are overcrowded and with inadequate road infrastructure, the higher number of horses take you nowhere. Just for an example, today I drove from Malleswaram to the old airport. THere was a cyclist next to me (I was in my Laura TSI) at Minsk Sqaure. By the time I got to the old airport, I find he was ahead of me . For non Bangaloreans, thats a distance of about 8 kms.
Santoshbhat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 19:07   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat

If I am the car maker, my question is :

"Where are these enthusiasts?

We made true enthusiast's delights like the Palio 1.6, Octavia vRs, Mondeo, Fiesta 1.6, Linea T-Jet, Laura TSI, etc... but nobody bought them."

The driver's cars have all but disappeared. Given the discounts that Fiat and Skoda are having to give to push the Linea T- Jet and the Laura TSI, it won't be long before you'll find these cars in the obituaries.

I think the rationale with big cars and small engines here in India is that our cities, (where most of the action is) are overcrowded and with inadequate road infrastructure, the higher number of horses take you nowhere. Just for an example, today I drove from Malleswaram to the old airport. THere was a cyclist next to me (I was in my Laura TSI) at Minsk Sqaure. By the time I got to the old airport, I find he was ahead of me . For non Bangaloreans, thats a distance of about 8 kms.
Hmmm certainly, true regarding the status of powerful cars...
But the few occasions and roads that give opportunities to have fun make us petrolheads mouth watering for cars like the Laura TSI!
And sometimes feel that the automakers should provide more options for the different range of customers_ I mean_ it's not that VW golf GTI does sales like the jetta or that the Ford fusionTSI does like the Mondeo in the European market!!
Moreover the market certainly feels much more open to powerful cars tha in the days of Palio1.6 or the baleno, with the factor of affordability being bettered these days....
Anyways the jetta1.4 should also be a very good car given the reviews we read :-)
Lets just hope for more:-)
Old 18th July 2012, 14:38   #57
BHPian

Absolute pleasure of a car to drive. The 1.4TSi was a bit noisy though but what an amazing pull it had across the range. I could not focus on any other thing or available bells & whistles, a sheer driver's delight I would say.
Old 18th July 2012, 15:44   #58
BHPian

Off topic but anyone else see the recent news item of VW top marketing team being let go and Maruti team being poached. Apparently VW is not happy with volumes.

Hopefully we should see some better pricing strategy, Jetta at 20 plus is really pushing it, it should be 12-17 max at least for volumes
Old 7th September 2012, 12:30   #59

Hi all, am in the process of booking a Jetta TSI comfortline in Goa. Most probably will be the first owner of Jetta TSI on the forum. Am looking for input from forum members regarding any festival offers/promotions for the Jetta TSI they have come across in their respective cities (here in Goa, the Ganesh Chaturthi festival is when maximum sales happen and also the time for max discounts n offers).
In Goa, there being a single dealer who is not offering absolutely any offer on the car, will be thankful for any information from forum members.
Thanking in advance for the same .
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:24   #60
Senior - BHPian

I was waiting for this review - VW Jetta TSI vrs Fiat Linea TJet, & here it is (courtesy BSM):

http://www.bsmotoring.com/news/fiat-...ur-cupt/5770/1

... & it does not disappoint, though VW trumps the Linea in most areas, the cheaper Linea does inflict few fatal blows with its steering feel & road manners. So, the decision could be a matter of personal choice & depth of the pocket.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks