Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2017, 14:44   #121
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

Hi Guys! I'm going to have a look at a preowned 1.4 TSi comfortline tomorrow. The car seems to be manufactured in 2012 but registered in 2013 and has 51k on the odo. The owner claims to have the complete history from a single ASS. Is there anything that I should specifically look for?
Old 15th October 2017, 21:30   #122
BHPian

I finally managed to figure out what is rattling in the driver's door of my pre-worshipped Jetta 1.4TSI CL. It is the power window switch panel housed in the door handle top trim cover, which has become loose. One of the securing clip of the cover, which attaches it to the door, is also broken. Seems the previous owner tried to do something funny with it.

Anyone with an estimate as to how much a new trim cover will cost? Any other source like AliExpress to get it cheaper?

I think I will be able to make the cabin completely silent after sorting 3-4 small nags which I have discovered lately. I have been somewhat disappointed on this front as my primary reason for picking-up the Jetta was the built quality. I was prepared for lackluster performance though. On the contrary, the performance has been good (mind you, my other car is a Optra Magnum 2.0TDI which I am pretty used to driving post the 2K kick, so my good really means good!!). I find the general reviews of the 1.4 TSI's performance are on the negative side of the reality due to the low numeric figures.
acemanhiflier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 22:27   #123
BHPian

I have noticed a strange whirring noise when starting the 1.4 TSI engine on my Jetta. Thereafter the car no longer moves and pressing the accelerator only increases the noise. This issue is both on cold start and starting after driving for some time.

I have recorded the noise and this is what is sounds like.
vw engine.zip

The issue occured first in Sep'19 and is occuring now after 4 months. The first time it occured the issue just subsided the next day when I started the car and its been running fine till today. I did also notice a burnt smell coming from the engine bay but could not find anything on inspection.

Last time the issue occurred, the VW service guys could not figure out anything and they said everything is normal because I could not reproduce the sound at the service center. This time however I want to get it rectified since my car is still under extended warranty and any expensive part replacement will be covered (I hope).

Request if someone can help me with doing a root cause on which part can actually be faulty or if anyone has faced a similar issue.
Old 17th January 2020, 10:01   #124
BHPian

I wonder if the sound is coming from the starter motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegitocat View Post
I have noticed a strange whirring noise when starting the 1.4 TSI engine on my Jetta. Thereafter the car no longer moves and pressing the accelerator only increases the noise. This issue is both on cold start and starting after driving for some time.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th July 2020 at 18:56. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 18th January 2020, 11:54   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I wonder if the sound is coming from the starter motor?
Update
Went to the VW service center and they could not diagnose the issue as expected, mechanically or otherwise since the issue self-corrects after some time! However diagnostics showed poor fuel quality as an error. Now I really don't know how that is possible since I have been filling petrol from a COCO outlet and the same one for the past three years now. Plus there were no random outlets from highways where fuel was filled. The only fix they could offer was to call them when the issue occurs next basically asking me to play a wait and watch game till my warranty runs out.
Old 28th July 2020, 16:39   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Coming from a guy who owns 2 laura TSI's, the jetta is a pretty sweet daily driver in our lovely rush hour bumper traffic when ur not wringing the life out of the motor. Brilliant daily usage abilities in this car and better back seats also and excellent manners in traffic.

Is it an enthusiast car? NO. Even with a Stage 2 remap + full exhaust, the motor just feels strained anywhere above 4k rpm. Handling is superb though.

Can you add the supercharger which is missing in the setup(from the 1.4 Twin charged motor)? No. ECU wont support it.
Since you have remapped a few cars, I am taking your opinion. I am planning to remap my Jetta to increase its "pickup" from stationary. Will just an ECU remap help me in what I am looking for? The remap takes the Jetta 1.4 TSI from 122 bhp to 145 bhp and the torque from 200 Nm to 250 Nm.
http://www.gttunerz.in/ecu-remap-chi...%20-%2001/2014)

Is it worth it? Will it affect the longevity of the engine. How about the fuel efficiency? What change should I expect.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Old 28th July 2020, 18:31   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by codwapeace View Post
Since you have remapped a few cars, I am taking your opinion. I am planning to remap my Jetta to increase its "pickup" from stationary. Will just an ECU remap help me in what I am looking for? The remap takes the Jetta 1.4 TSI from 122 bhp to 145 bhp and the torque from 200 Nm to 250 Nm.

Is it worth it? Will it affect the longevity of the engine. How about the fuel efficiency? What change should I expect.
You can remap your Jetta 1.4 TSI. However, there are a few things to consider:

1) Unlike the Octavia’s 1.4 TSI (EA211), the Jetta’s 1.4 TSI (EA111) is entirely different and a much older motor - quite similar to the 1.2 TSI from the older Polo GT TSI.

2) The engine is clocked differently with the exhaust manifold and turbo in front of the engine. Consequently, the engine suffers from heat soak when beaten hard. The cooling system is woefully inadequate for the heat the motor dissipates.

3) Unlike the Octavia’s 1.4 TSI, the Jetta’s 1.4 does not benefit from certain advancements such as forged internals and DOHC that the EA211 benefits from. It’s an agricultural engine that is limited by its components.

Keeping the above points in mind, you can’t expect great gains from a stage - 1 tune. You certainly should not expect 145 Bhp without first addressing the above issues. You are better off getting a free flowing downpipe to remove restrictions and liberate some power before fiddling with the ECU.

Do a quick google search on the EA111 1.4 TSI and you would not be too happy with the search results.

Is it worth it?

I would say yes, but ensure you get a conservative tune. For better results, use high octane fuel or octane boosters like Proctane.

Will it affect longevity:

Yes, but not to the level were it should concern you too much. All remaps would have an effect on longevity of the engine. To work around this, your service intervals could be scheduled more frequently and using good fuel is very important.

Will it affect fuel efficiency?

That entirely depends on your driving style. If you drive with a heavy foot, you can expect fuel economy to tank accordingly. The remap itself won’t have a negative impact on fuel economy as long as you drive it sensibly.

What change can you expect?

Well, you can expect changes to throttle response, mid-range power and general drivability. Remaps are good if done by someone in the know.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th July 2020 at 19:01.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 20:12   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You can remap your Jetta 1.4 TSI. However, there are a few things to consider:
I have added numbers to your response to respond to you.

2) Almost everyone who has opened my hood has burnt himself from the steel rod that keeps the hood open. It is so hot. I was very worried when I bought it, but I saw the same phenomenon in the Vento of my brother in law which has a 1.2 TSI. It is so hot, although the temperature gauge inside my car has never gone above 90 degrees which is in the middle of the dial. What can I do to improve cooling and will it improve the performance?

4) I never heard the term "downpipe" before today. So, I read up a little bit, meaning I watched a youtube video. Won't changing the downpipe which contains the Cat-Con make the car fail emissions test? If I do change the downpipe, will it improve the low-end performance? Do you know the RPM at which the turbo spools up in this engine? I don't really see a visible turbo boost with this engine which I saw with the 1.0 TSI in the Rapid and 1.5 iDTec in the Honda City?

5) Using high performance fuel is not really possible for me as I live in a tier C town (In HRA lingo).

8) I am not really worried about the mid range power. I think Jetta is good in that. It is slow from the starting line and runs out of steam after 4000 RPM just like my iDTec. I wanted an upgrade in driving experience, but Jetta 1.4 TSI is not really much of an upgrade in terms of acceleration compared to my Honda City. It is miles better in every regard, though.

Thanks again for your comprehensive reply.

Last edited by ampere : 28th July 2020 at 21:25. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 29th July 2020, 19:28   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2) Almost everyone who has opened my hood has burnt himself from the steel rod that keeps the hood open. It is so hot. I was very worried when I bought it, but I saw the same phenomenon in the Vento of my brother in law which has a 1.2 TSI. It is so hot, although the temperature gauge inside my car has never gone above 90 degrees which is in the middle of the dial. What can I do to improve cooling and will it improve the performance?
Yes, these engines do generate a lot of heat. The issue is compounded when the engine is under load during the summers.

I managed to find someone in Bangalore who studied the car's SSP and came up with a solution to combat high intake air temperatures. It was somewhat of a jugaad job that involved re-routing the coolant circuits but we managed to get it working well. Do check my thread for more details: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4808527 Be warned thogh, I'm not sure how he can help you remotely with this issue.

Water-meth injection kits may work too, but it does not make sense on a daily drive car.

I can't think of any other way of curing the heat-soak issue.

Quote:
4) I never heard the term "downpipe" before today. So, I read up a little bit, meaning I watched a Youtube video. Won't changing the downpipe which contains the Cat-Con make the car fail emissions test? If I do change the downpipe, will it improve the low-end performance? Do you know the RPM at which the turbo spools up in this engine? I don't really see a visible turbo boost with this engine which I saw with the 1.0 TSI in the Rapid and 1.5 iDTec in the Honda City?
The car will emit more pollutants if you delete the catalytic converter, but I doubt you would fail emission tests. There are diesel cars on the forum with deleted cats that have passed emission tests with flying colours. Part of the problem lies with the fact that the emission tests themselves are rudimentary and archaic at best.

Quote:
5) Using high performance fuel is not really possible for me as I live in a tier C town (In HRA lingo).
Understandable. You could explore octane boosters. Proctane is popular in India. I believe STP also makes octane boosters but I haven't tried that. A Google search should throw up results.

Quote:
8) I am not really worried about the mid range power. I think Jetta is good in that. It is slow from the starting line and runs out of steam after 4000 RPM just like my iDTec. I wanted an upgrade in driving experience, but Jetta 1.4 TSI is not really much of an upgrade in terms of acceleration compared to my Honda City. It is miles better in every regard, though.
A stage-1 remap would also include changes to the throttle in many cases. Although the car won't be making a great deal of power, the throttle map will help with the initial lag-like feeling. Regarding a power bump at the top, I'm afraid you should not expect great improvements above 4.5k RPM. The EA 111 is not known for top-end power delivery, and you will have to live with that. Don't underestimate the improvements a good remap can bring to the mid-range performance. It can be addictive.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 22:26   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

A stage-1 remap would also include changes to the throttle in many cases. Although the car won't be making a great deal of power, the throttle map will help with the initial lag-like feeling. Regarding a power bump at the top, I'm afraid you should not expect great improvements above 4.5k RPM. The EA 111 is not known for top-end power delivery, and you will have to live with that. Don't underestimate the improvements a good remap can bring to the mid-range performance. It can be addictive.
Thanks a lot Suhaas for your another comprehensive reply again. I will go through your mods once I get more time.

I don't think I am quite ready for a physical mod of the scale that you did. Do you think a remap is worth it? I am getting a quote for 25k in Delhi.
Old 1st August 2020, 21:40   #131
BHPian

Quote:

I would not remap the 1.4TSI Jetta. Why? because its not as strong a motor as the 1.8TSI, and would result in a lot more stress on the rods than the car is designed for. Can you remap it? Yes you can. But you would be taking a risk.
Modding any car is easy if you have the $$ to throw at it, but if you do intend to mod a car, make sure you pick the right base car so the $/hp gain is worth it.
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 12:42   #132

Time to change the Tsi 2016 battery. I am looking for alternative to the OEM 61ah 330DIN. The OEM new battery will have a warranty of just 2 years apart being being little expensive(quoted around 9.5k all inclusive). So wanted to check a good alternative that you might be aware of.
TIA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks