Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 17:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review

The Jetta TSI compared against the Corolla, Elantra & Laura.

Last edited by dkaile : 6th November 2012 at 17:18.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 22:09   #62
BHPian

Interesting !
I was thinking about the logic behind launching TSI at this time. And that too, less refined and under powered engine.
This is second such attempt after corolla altis diesel.
Any news about passat geting TSI anytime soon?
Old 12th January 2013, 11:36   #63

hi,am driving a jetta Tsi for three months now .Have done around 4000 odd kms,including a trip to pune and back with some highway driving,ghats through the amboli section of the Goa pune section as well as some horrendous roads in between.The car is amazing to drive,the 1.4 motor belying its small capacity in normal day to day usage giving very very decent mileage.I sometimes take it out after 9 pm for a spin and the mileage it gives in light traffic is amazing reachin 17-18 kms on the MID.
forget all this talk about the engine capacity being small by people who have not stepped inside a jetta tsi and talk to actual owners ,you will get a different picture.IT WILL NOT DISSAPOINT YOU IN REGULAR USAGE,which most of do anyways.
locomoco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 12:06   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomoco View Post
hi,am driving a jetta Tsi for three months now.
Congratulations locomoco! Good choice indeed. You normally go with regular petrol, or something like the Speed 97 for your Jetta TSI?
Old 14th January 2013, 10:11   #65

@ vb san
hi,stick to regular petrol only. Actually never gave it a thought somehow.
considering that cost of petrol in Goa is within the reach of the so called Aam Aadmi ,i think speed 97 should not be too pricey.Do you think it will make a difference in the long run.had spoken to the service guys during delivery but they did not seem to insist on it.

Note from Mod : Please use proper spacing + punctuation. Do see point #2 in THIS THREAD before continuing. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th January 2013 at 14:59. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
locomoco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 08:58   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ vb san
hi,stick to regular petrol only. Actually never gave it a thought somehow.
Do you think it will make a difference in the long run.
Thanks locomoco. I assume VW would have done their homework on our fuel quality before launching the car. So except for a slight drop in power, there may not be any impact as such in the long run.

Do post an ownership thread on the car when you get time.
Old 16th August 2013, 16:42   #67
BHPian

Quote:
hi,am driving a jetta Tsi for three months now .
======
IT WILL NOT DISSAPOINT YOU IN REGULAR USAGE,which most of do anyways.
Hi Locomo,

I am currently under the process of comparing cars in this segment and am a petrol enthusiast. Would love to read about your experience with the VW Jetta 1.4 TSI in a bit more detail.
Old 2nd September 2013, 23:40   #68
BHPian

Coming from a guy who owns 2 laura TSI's, the jetta is a pretty sweet daily driver in our lovely rush hour bumper traffic when ur not wringing the life out of the motor. Brilliant daily usage abilities in this car and better back seats also and excellent manners in traffic.

Is it an enthusiast car? NO. Even with a Stage 2 remap + full exhaust, the motor just feels strained anywhere above 4k rpm. Handling is superb though.

Can you add the supercharger which is missing in the setup(from the 1.4 Twin charged motor)? No. ECU wont support it.

Last edited by prithwi-81 : 2nd September 2013 at 23:41.
Old 17th April 2014, 11:35   #69
BHPian

Jetta to receive a mild update, eager to know the details and when it's going to hit the Indian market

http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...3037&type=News
Old 1st May 2014, 17:18   #70

hi guys, just recieved news that the extended warranty for the jetta has been released by VW after a long delay.The cost of the same for a model older than 18 months and less than 24 months is a steep 55000 bucks. would like inputs from Jetta owners regarding the utility of the same .Have a Jetta TSI which is 19 months old.
regards and thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.
Old 1st May 2014, 18:33   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hi guys, just recieved news that the extended warranty for the jetta has been released by VW after a long delay.The cost of the same for a model older than 18 months and less than 24 months is a steep 55000 bucks. would like inputs from Jetta owners regarding the utility of the same .Have a Jetta TSI which is 19 months old.
regards and thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.
TSI + DSG is the prime candidate for warranty coverage. TDI + MT doesn't require "costly" extended warranty in my opinion. You are somewhere in the middle :-)

Do you put lot of miles on the car? I think 50K kms in 4 years is a safe bet on any engine these days unless it is a known problematic engine. Maybe if you search a bit about reliability of the 1.4 TSI block you might be able to decide for yourself. Other than engine + transmission, nothing else in the car deserves Rs 55,000 worth extended warranty. Also remember that the company might not have a high rate of acceptance of warranty claims - they can always give some silly reason to deny a warranty claim.

So looks like my answer seems to be a no.
Old 15th August 2014, 18:39   #72
BHPian

What kind of fuel efficiency do you guys get on this car. Have booked a candy white one, with delivery sometime next week. This is my first turbo car so any hints on driving one will also be useful.

I also wanted to check if there is a race chip or something for this. I drove the Skoda Octavia 1.4 as well and thqat went like a bomb compared to the more sedate Jetta.
Old 15th August 2014, 20:45   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I also wanted to check if there is a race chip or something for this. I drove the Skoda Octavia 1.4 as well and thqat went like a bomb compared to the more sedate Jetta.
The Octavia got a slightly more powerful version of the 1.4 TSI (140ps), compared to the 122ps tune in the Jetta. And the former is around 150kg lighter as well.
Old 15th August 2014, 21:06   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
What kind of fuel efficiency do you guys get on this car. Have booked a candy white one, with delivery sometime next week. This is my first turbo car so any hints on driving one will also be useful.

I hope you are aware that the Jetta 1.4TSI is a much older EA111 series engine with only 122PS. This is even lower than the Altis. The Jetta is not the best to drive and even the engine does not feel as good as the Octavia 1.4 TSI engine.

The Octavia uses the new EA211 series engine which is a significant upgrade from the EA111. Do take a look at my review of the Octavia 1.4TSI:

Quote:
The 1395 cc turbo-charged motor is from a new EA211 family of VW petrols. This engine has been developed for the MQB platform and has seen quite a lot of changes. For one, the engine is rotated by 180 degrees in the engine bay, with the exhaust side now facing the firewall. This positioning is standard for all petrol/diesel engines designed for the MQB chassis. The exhaust manifold is integrated onto the block to bring the engine up to operating temperature quicker. On the intake side, the intercooler is integrated with the manifold. The crankcase uses diecast aluminium (vs cast iron) for weight saving purposes. There is a healthy bump up in power compared to the older EA111 1.4L engine of the Jetta. 138 BHP (4,500 - 6,000 rpm) and 250 Nm torque (1,500 - 3,500 rpm) from a 1.4L engine are impressive numbers. The 250 Nm of torque particularly stands out as it is the same as the larger 1.8L TSI.
Unless you are getting the Jetta 1.4TSI for a steal I wouldn't look at it. The Octavia 1.4TSI make much much more sense.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 21:27   #75
BHPian

The difference between the two is close to 1.50 lacs or so taking into account the discounts on vw and no discounts on skoda. Yes the skoda is a hoot to drive, but the jetta just seems to have something which I can't seem to describe. There is a solidity and a class to it that the skoda seems to lack. Also I kind of stay away from skoda due to the service issues. Luckily the volkswagon dealer is a good friend, so that gives me more confidence as well.

The Volkswagen is no slouch either and is quite nice to drive in traffic as well. In gear acceleration felt better on jetta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks