Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 23:40   #1486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltadriver
km

Also one problem i am concerned is that post starting the car all the indicator lights go off immediately apart from OIL indicator which is lit for about 1-2 sec more. I have checked the Oil level and it is between Min and Max. Are other Duster Owners facing the same issue or is there potential problem with my vehicle. Thanks in Advance.
Whoa, that's some consistency displayed by Renault. Even I have noticed this in my car. Well another addition to niggles list?? Going to service centre on saturday, would update on feedback from them.
Old 22nd November 2012, 23:43   #1487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23

I got a chance to check the iPod connectivity, worked fine without any issues.

I would suggest wait until they find a resolution of the BT echo issue, they are going to upgrade the firmware anyways, chances are high it will resolve the issue.
Thanks mate for taking all the trouble. Would try all possible permutations with aux and usb inputs.
Old 23rd November 2012, 07:51   #1488
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

I got my Duster delivered on 18-NOV-2012, a Sunday. The whole booking-to-delivery is a story unto itself, but I'll keep that to myself for now. I made a lot of compromises that I normally would not have made to get the vehicle on the 18th itself. This is because I wanted it badly for my son's birthday. For example, I could not do a proper PDI, and I left the showroom without floor mats, mud flaps, and other accessories I wanted, and even some documentation. I have put a lot of faith in the dealer and their word, many times more than I ever show to anyone who is selling anything.

Just wanted to share a couple of things after having driven around 750 Ks: -

1. Mine is an 85PS RXL, and the vehicle definitely feels underpowered. But I'm not really revving it, only driving really sedately, and have gone beyond 2500 rpm only occasionally when overtaking or when a certain stretch of the highway looked enchanting. I have definitely not gone up to 3750 rpm where the promised 85PS of power is handed over to you. I am waiting to pass 1500 Ks and then I'll rev the engine more.
2. There is a need to drive in a lower gear than I normally drive in (reference point - the other vehicles I drive).
3. The car takes off and 'sprints' when I release the brake - this with no accelerator input. This 'sprint' is at a faster pace than what I would have been going at before braking. This is quite unnerving, and a cause for concern in crowded market areas.
4. There is a pronounced shudder that is felt in the whole vehicle when I turn the engine off.
5. I felt none of that push-back response that people have been getting from the steering wheel. I have driven on tight switchbacks and enjoyed how the car responded to me.
6. The travel of the clutch does not feel smooth. Can't really describe this elegantly, but think of it as how you would feel while bending your knee if it was bad and creaky, as opposed to a smooth motion.
7. The car is beautiful. Mine is red (my last color preference - another compromise), but it is a head turner. Strange people have approached me to ask about it more than a couple of times.
8. Maneuvering the car is easy. It feels beautiful how it responds to steering input. I have taken it to a congested market where I had promised myself I would never take it, yet it turned out to be a happy experience. The wheel arches do not really bother me. Managing the bulge comes naturally to me I guess
9. I have taken it where angels as well as demons fear to tread - where only dumpers and 18 wheelers go. It came out of the experience without a single complaint, and kept me happy too. Bad roads disappear when I am in the duster, but where I took it was not a road.
10. Slotting the gear into 1st from a higher gear is not as smooth as I would prefer.
11. The MID showed an average of ~20 kmpl at the end of my highway journey. After driving it around the city it came down to ~19 kmpl.
12. A certain individual helped accelerate the delivery of my car in time for my son's birthday. Thank you - you know who you are.

Last edited by snkjr : 23rd November 2012 at 08:02. Reason: added points no. 10, 11, and 12
snkjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:09   #1489
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post

1. Mine is an 85PS RXL, and the vehicle definitely feels underpowered. But I'm not really revving it, only driving really sedately, and have gone beyond 2500 rpm only occasionally when overtaking or when a certain stretch of the highway looked enchanting. I have definitely not gone up to 3750 rpm where the promised 85PS of power is handed over to you. I am waiting to pass 1500 Ks and then I'll rev the engine more.
2. There is a need to drive in a lower gear than I normally drive in (reference point - the other vehicles I drive).
3. The car takes off and 'sprints' when I release the brake - this with no accelerator input. This 'sprint' is at a faster pace than what I would have been going at before braking. This is quite unnerving, and a cause for concern in crowded market areas.
From the first 3 points mentioned, it appears that you are new to diesel cars and you were driving a petrol before.

These 3 are standard attributes with most diesel cars. You would need to change your driving style to adapt to the different characteristics of a diesel engine.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:31   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
From the first 3 points mentioned, it appears that you are new to diesel cars and you were driving a petrol before.

These 3 are standard attributes with most diesel cars. You would need to change your driving style to adapt to the different characteristics of a diesel engine.
True, this is my first diesel. Good to know these are standard attributes.
snkjr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:45   #1491
BHPian

@ snkjr: All 3 points are related to the Turbo "surge" or the lack of it.
Glad to see, that I can identify with ALL of the points you have penned down. Though I am still not comfy with the wheel arch bulge. I am SCARED of scraping that!!

I have however found a working rule to this problem: if you think both your ORVMs can pass through, then both your front & rear arches will go through as well !!

In addition, I would like to add one more thing: there is a certain notchiness to the gearshift lever. And the shifts are noisy. And slightly jerky (that maybe due to my individual driving style)

Try to seek a better driving position by a combo of:forward/back adjustment of the seat // recline the seat and // play with the steering tilt.

You will find a driving position that makes the clutch easier to press with lighter pushback.
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:17   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
I got my Duster delivered on 18-NOV-2012, a Sunday. The whole booking-to-delivery is a story unto itself, but I'll keep that to myself for now. I made a lot of compromises that I normally would not have made to get the vehicle on the 18th itself. This is because I wanted it badly for my son's birthday.

7. Strange people have approached me to ask about it more than a couple of times.
Many Congratulations on acquiring one of the best in it's class.Wishing you many happy miles.

PS:I am sure you meant "Strangers", as I would be terrified of strange people (like horns on head) approaching me..
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 13:07   #1493
Distinguished - BHPian

Snkjr, heartiest congratulations! I have my eyes set on the 4x4 as and when either Renault or Nissan launches it.

Keep in mind that diesels 'settle' in only after around 5k km, and a lot of the tightness in the engine will go away. That's my experience from my Cruze and Polo. Enjoy!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:04   #1494

Firstly, Great Review GTO.

Went for a test drive to one of the dealers in Ahmedabad, I was surprised at the attitude of the Sales Rep. A totally unsatisfactory TD. It Started like this:

1) The Rep was more interested in where I was working.

2) From the little time I did get in the Duster, I think the Rear Air Con looks really out of place and will take time to get used to.

3) Took me for a 300 mtr TD and when I said I need to take it for a longer drive he flatly refused saying that this only how much you can test it.

4) He then tells me you can only buy the car from rajkot and i asked why, so he tells me because if you want the free servicing done you will only get it from where you buy the car . So, I asked him suppose I go to delhi and the servicing is due, what then? He's like, "you will have to pay" even though you have a free servicing.

Anyway, I was fuming and stumped at the lack of knowledge and interest of the Rep, its dissappointing when Reps act like they are doing you a favour by even letting you look at the car.
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:50   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Snkjr, heartiest congratulations! I have my eyes set on the 4x4 as and when either Renault or Nissan launches it.

Keep in mind that diesels 'settle' in only after around 5k km, and a lot of the tightness in the engine will go away. That's my experience from my Cruze and Polo. Enjoy!
I agree, even i felt that my 85 RXL is under powered after i drove it for first couple of days, but now after approx 2500 KM run, it does pull nicely and i am able to go from 30 - 80 KMPH in 3rd gear in a jiffy.
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 20:05   #1496
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Took the test drive of Duster 85ps RxL version from RENAULT Palace Orchards last week. The car was a breeze to drive within the city and test drive was good. But what turned me off is the interior plastic quality. The demo vehicle had done just 9000 kms and i could hear some rattling noise on the front door. When enquired with the sales person he was clueless and said that since it is a demo car this was not serviced and hence the rattling sound . No discounts and one need to wait for 5 months to get the vehicle. Coming back home i did a small comparison between the UK specs and Indian specs of the Duster. Renault is taking us for a ride by not even providing the essential safety equipments in 10 lakhs+ car. The car is locally manufactured and i feel they have priced it really high.Kindly look at the below comparison between 110ps UK Ambiance model and 110ps RxL Indian model.

Thanks,
Prakash.
Attached Images

prakasse is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 20:19   #1497
BHPian

I had been on the look out for an armrest and found this one on ebay. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Universal-Car...item2324499f39

There is one on the Dacia accessories site and as my sis is coming in December I can get this one too.
http://www.shopdacia.com/review/product/list/id/748/

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 23rd November 2012, 23:02   #1498
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse View Post
Hi Folks,

Took the test drive of Duster 85ps RxL version from RENAULT Palace Orchards last week. The car was a breeze to drive within the city and test drive was good. But what turned me off is the interior plastic quality. The demo vehicle had done just 9000 kms and i could hear some rattling noise on the front door. When enquired with the sales person he was clueless and said that since it is a demo car this was not serviced and hence the rattling sound . No discounts and one need to wait for 5 months to get the vehicle. Coming back home i did a small comparison between the UK specs and Indian specs of the Duster. Renault is taking us for a ride by not even providing the essential safety equipments in 10 lakhs+ car. The car is locally manufactured and i feel they have priced it really high.Kindly look at the below comparison between 110ps UK Ambiance model and 110ps RxL Indian model.

Thanks,
Prakash.
I have only one thing to say, after reading this post. It is more of a question.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING, RENAULT INDIA?
Old 24th November 2012, 00:51   #1499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docster View Post
I had been on the look out for an armrest and found this one on ebay. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Universal-Car...item2324499f39

There is one on the Dacia accessories site and as my sis is coming in December I can get this one too.
http://www.shopdacia.com/review/product/list/id/748/

Any suggestions would be helpful.
If you can get a Dacia one its a no brainer, why go for others which may or may not fit well as I found out here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2963310

The one you found in eBay looks more or less like the one I added to my Dusty, it may not be tall enough. Check the height it fits onto properly if you go for it.
Old 24th November 2012, 09:09   #1500
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse View Post
The demo vehicle had done just 9000 kms and i could hear some rattling noise on the front door. When enquired with the sales person he was clueless and said that since it is a demo car this was not serviced and hence the rattling sound .
The rattling problem has been reported on the forum, which almost most guys have got it fixed during therir first service. (This is as per what I read)

Looks like this is a known problem to Renault.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks