Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2012, 09:19   #1576
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Yes like I mentioned it is strengthened, stronger cranks, rods and pistons. Injectors also may be different

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=84312

I had some links for in-depth info on the K9K variants and there are many, may have posted earlier, will find and repost.

I don't find any confirmation from Renault from the link you have posted above.

I again disagree on different sets of crank, rods , pistons used in 110 as i have also been following this whole thread closely from the start and nowhere i came across this statement. I have also spoken extensively with the Engineers from Renault and they have confirmed same set of engines being used in both the engines.
Old 30th November 2012, 13:39   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
I don't find any confirmation from Renault from the link you have posted above.

I again disagree on different sets of crank, rods , pistons used in 110 as i have also been following this whole thread closely from the start and nowhere i came across this statement. I have also spoken extensively with the Engineers from Renault and they have confirmed same set of engines being used in both the engines.
65 bhp -
No blue letters in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
No intercooler.
Turbo is a 5435 970 0000 Borg warner K series.
JB3 gearbox pretty much same as 1.6 16v.
Engine codes - K9K 704, K9K 700
OVAL PLATE CB07 (Inside of drivers door)
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1 Bar (14.5psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1400psi
No intercooler

80 bhp -
Blue I in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Large Intercooler located infront of the radiator.
Injectors 15% more efficient than 65's.
Slightly different turbo to 65 (5435 970 0002 Borg warner K series).
JC5 gearbox pretty much same as 2.0 16v. From 2004 onwards JH3 and JR5 boxes were also fitted.
Engine code - K9K 702
OVAL PLATE CB08
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.2 Bar (17.4psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1400psi

100 bhp -
Blue CI in the word DCI on the sidestrip.
Small fat intercooler (17% more efficient than 80 ic). Located infront of the radiator at the bottom.
Same injectors as 80.
Same fuel pump as 65 & 80 but runs at 1600 bar
Again, more efficient, variable geometry turbo (5439 970 0030 Borg warner K series)
Different block and head and different injection set up to 65 & 80 with the 100 having a stronger crank, stronger rods and pistons.
Inlets on the head are bigger, different cam and ex manifold.

Gearstick, reverse is down and right as opposed to up and left with the lift.
Gearbox is a JR5 120. (5 Speed box as fitted to petrol lagunas, no renault 6 speed box fits!)
Engine code - K9K 712.
OVAL PLATE CB2G
Standard Turbo Boost Pressure = 1.25 Bar (18.1psi)
Standard Fuel Pressure = 1600psi

Satyaprakash - its mentioned in the linked article about the strengthened crank, rods and pistons. See highlighted part.

There are other links about the 5 speed gearbox not able to handle torque beyond 200nm I have read before. But ultimately this is some other forum opinion. The differences above are from Renault, see link below.

http://www.renault.com/SiteCollectio..._100cv__GB.pdf

I am not here to discourage you in anyway, ultimately its your car and maybe you will find out enough and do the changes and share your knowledge benefiting everyone.

Last edited by raul : 30th November 2012 at 14:06.
raul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 17:01   #1578
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Renault starts exporting the Duster from the Ennore port in Chennai. The first consignment has 350 Dusters on the way to UK & Ireland.

Renault Duster : Official Review-duster.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-duster2.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 17:04   #1579
Senior - BHPian

The export models, i presume is under the Dacia name ? Also that blue and grey colour parked dont seem to be available in India ?
Old 30th November 2012, 17:22   #1580
BHPian

Interesting! A boatload of Dusters getting away from frantic locals! Folks waiting for months here will be feeling just a tad frustrated.

It seems UK has a preference for blue, I also see the green peeking through. A pity these colours are not offered here. I especially like the green.

Some of these would also be 4X4, that would be a wonderful addition to the local lineup, they may sell 1 for every 10 but it will be decent sized market.

Marc Nassir must be feeling on top of the world!
Old 30th November 2012, 17:47   #1581
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Renault starts exporting the Duster from the Ennore port in Chennai. The first consignment has 350 Dusters on the way to UK & Ireland.
Oops.. is it true? Confused... are they mad?

I think the profit on making a car in india and selling it in UK and ireland would be less when compared to indian sales. Isnt it?

There is a huge waiting list for Duster in india. Also the transportation cost will be less rather than exporting to UK. Price of duster in india is also not that cheap. So all in all, Why do they want to export it from india when there is a demand for their product here itself?

So the huge waiting list for Duster in india is either not real or they do not want to increase their volume here.

I dont understand their activities. Would some one throw some more light on this ? please.

Old 30th November 2012, 18:01   #1582
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Oops.. is it true? Confused... are they mad?

I think the profit on making a car in india and selling it in UK and ireland would be less when compared to indian sales. Isnt it?
http://www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/dust...pecifications/
In UK it sells for
£8,995.00

8995 British pounds sterling = 786861.0120 Indian rupees

This variant includes airbags and abs etc.

In India, Petrol variants don't have any safety features and the two variants cost between 7.5 to 8.5 lakhs.
Old 30th November 2012, 19:09   #1583
BHPian

The UK Diesel's sell @ £ 11495 (~ INR 10 L) & £ 12995 (~ INR 11.36 L).
- Only the 110 ps is offered in the UK currently. No 85 ps (yet).
- This is close to the introductory price that was offered here.

Accessories :- (Probably where they may make some money)
- £ 655 : Styling pack : Front styling bars, Side styling bars, Chrome plated rear exhaust pipe, Daytime running lights.
- £ 575 : Protection pack : Rear parking sensors, Door locking alarms, Exterior tailgate protection, Front and rear mudguards, Boot liner.
- £ 555 : Touring Pack : Tow bar, Cross bar (to fit longitudinal roof bars), Front central armrest.
- £ 445 : Adventurer pack : 4 wheel arch protection, 4 door protection side mouldings
- £ 350 : ASR with ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Renault is positioning Dacia as a Low Cost, Value For Money brand in UK. Check this link out. It will be interesting to see the pricing of the Nissan Duster in India.

(Either) they might followup with a revised price in UK later on
(or) they are making one hell of a profit from the Indian Sales.

I guess for the Renault group : India is a low cost country(for making the Duster), but not a low price country(for selling the Duster).

Should we feel happy that we just got upgraded as a country in terms of spending power ?
DieselDon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 19:23   #1584
BHPian

Just got my 85 PS RXL(O) Duster home. Color is Woodland Brown. Boy, is it gorgeous. A guy in Merc stopped me and asked about the car pricing and all the usual stuff. Heh... looks like it pulls string of heart like no other vehicle.

Also, I noticed that 5th spare is *NOT* an alloy on my 85 RXL(O) Model. Can someone with same model please confirm this?

Thanks,
acroback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 21:02   #1585
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
http://www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/dust...pecifications/
In UK it sells for
£8,995.00

8995 British pounds sterling = 786861.0120 Indian rupees

This variant includes airbags and abs etc.
Thanks for this information. Till now, i was in the assumption that, it would be costing around 12000 pounds. But now, i am blown away with their decision of exports.

I cant imagine the cost of exporting so many dusters to UK over sea. The cost amount would be significant. They could have served our market for couple of months till they reach the level of selling 8000-9000 units a month. At this level, the growth in sales will not be significant. And i believe, exporting once they reach this level would be much better as they are exporting the extra which couldn't be sold here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
(Either) they might followup with a revised price in UK later on
(or) they are making one hell of a profit from the Indian Sales.

I guess for the Renault group : India is a low cost country(for making the Duster), but not a low price country(for selling the Duster).
I believe that the profit they make in UK will be much less than what they make here. Its clear as they would be exporting from one country to another which includes lot of import taxes and transport cost and insurance amounts.

Yes. India is a low cost country to make duster. Again yes, India is not a low price country too to sell duster. You are correct. So, why the hell are they exporting rather than serving us and make profit? I dont understand this.

GTO: If you have any additional information on why Renault has started exports so early, could you please share the same. I think we are missing some logic over here.

Why not sell a car at a premium as a premium car and make more profit? why sell it as an underdog by spending much on transport and export it to a foreigh country?

Old 30th November 2012, 23:35   #1586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Just got my 85 PS RXL(O) Duster home. Color is Woodland Brown. Boy, is it gorgeous. A guy in Merc stopped me and asked about the car pricing and all the usual stuff. Heh... looks like it pulls string of heart like no other vehicle.

Also, I noticed that 5th spare is *NOT* an alloy on my 85 RXL(O) Model. Can someone with same model please confirm this?

Thanks,
Congratulations on getting the new car. Woodland brown sure is a great colour.
I was told just yesterday by the service in charge that the new cars have only 4 alloys and the spare is a steel rim. I guess the buyers of the first lot got all 5 alloys.

Got my 1st service done yesterday. It's just a general check up and tightening of the body bolts and a wash. The doors sound much better while closing, after the service. These guys have come up with a good 'Jugad'. They are putting wire insulation tape on the part which is on the body of the car and that makes the door closing sound much better.
Cost = Nil.
Time taken 3 1/2 hrs
3 coffees on the house.
Doc

Note From Team-BHP Support: Merging consecutive posts. Please use EDIT / MULTI QUOTE option within 30-minutes of posting

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st December 2012 at 00:11.
Docster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 23:46   #1587
BHPian

I think the simple reason for this is they started taking bookings in the UK in July and committed to start deliveries in January 2013.

They did not anticipate the extent of India demand, but they had to keep up the commitment to the UK public who too are waiting anxiously for their Dusters'.

Apart from India this is the only other right hand drive market so the production will have to happen from here.

I have always heard they have a capacity to manufacture 400000 vehicles a year in their Chennai facility, clearly they are not yet at full capacity or the local Duster demand would be a piece of cake.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 00:29   #1588
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I think the simple reason for this is they started taking bookings in the UK in July and committed to start deliveries in January 2013.

They did not anticipate the extent of India demand, but they had to keep up the commitment to the UK public who too are waiting anxiously for their Dusters'.

Apart from India this is the only other right hand drive market so the production will have to happen from here.

I have always heard they have a capacity to manufacture 400000 vehicles a year in their Chennai facility, clearly they are not yet at full capacity or the local Duster demand would be a piece of cake.
hmm.. forgot this scenario. thanks
Regarding plant capacity, they initially started the duster assembly lines which were capable of making 5000 cars, they are working hard to add more capacity (source : dealer) but never received any info on the plant's actual capacity. Thanks.

Old 1st December 2012, 02:32   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Just got my 85 PS RXL(O) Duster home.

Thanks,
Congratulations!! I have booked the same configuration.
I am shocked about the spare wheel not being an alloy. Renault is really killing the VFM idea here. When Duster started looking doable a year ago, the main attraction was its VFM reputation. In reality now, its being overpriced and the company is cutting corners.
I am expecting to get my car by March next year, i wonder what else will be cut by that time.

Can they really do this? Show a set of specs when booking, and deliver a different spec?

Last edited by sumeshmani : 1st December 2012 at 02:45.
Old 1st December 2012, 09:25   #1590

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Post deleted. Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on the board.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled. Please take this as warning.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd December 2012 at 12:18.
anjanravi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks