Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 09:53   #1591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani
...Can they really do this? Show a set of specs when booking, and deliver a different spec?
Other manufacturers too do this to avoid margins taking a hit, especially with features which are easy to miss. Unless someone really pin points, they may not be able to spot the differences easily.

Here I think Renault is getting too greedy. They have already hiked the prices on account of higher raw material prices, so they are not making any losses. Also, their hike was actually much higher than industry average. On top of it, if they are deleting features, well I think customers seriously need to prove a point. I believe Ecosport may provide the shock treatment. Hope Ford has a 10K capacity per month for Ecosport.
Old 1st December 2012, 10:53   #1592
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

BS Motoring compares Duster with XUV 5OO and TATA Safari Storme, and says that it is the best package out of the lot!

http://bsmotoring.com/news/tata-safa...e-three/6073/4

Quote:
That makes the Duster our winner then. It’s smaller and probably could do with a dose of added features and some better plastics, but scratch beneath the surface and you find the Duster is more than just practical. It’s a well engineered SUV that is not only fun to drive and live with, it’s also the kind of SUV that makes for a good alternative to a sedan. While prices do vary from Rs 9.99 lakh to Rs 11.29 lakh for the 110 bhp version, you can opt for the 85 bhp version that starts at Rs 8.99 lakh, and won’t feel poorer either. Renault has really cracked it with this one.
Old 1st December 2012, 12:34   #1593
BHPian

Anjan - Thanks for the link and pics! The 4X4 Duster has a rotary dial for 4WD mode and the button is for ESP on/off. The Duster is using Nissan's 4WD system, the same as X-trail and Qashqai.

The 4X2 does not have this button, the ESP is on by default if chosen as an option. In our Dusters its a blank button :(

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd December 2012 at 17:30. Reason: Edited the quoted post
Old 1st December 2012, 13:36   #1594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Just got my 85 PS RXL(O) Duster home. Color is Woodland Brown. Boy, is it gorgeous. A guy in Merc stopped me and asked about the car pricing and all the usual stuff. Heh... looks like it pulls string of heart like no other vehicle.

Also, I noticed that 5th spare is *NOT* an alloy on my 85 RXL(O) Model. Can someone with same model please confirm this?

Thanks,

I got mine Rxl(o) during Sep and it has Alloy wheel for spare. I am shocked to hear this cost cutting by Renault without even letting know the prospective buyer.

Hope they don't cost cut other things including reverse sensors and front passenger airbags too. Is there any way for the buyer to seek remedy through consumer forum for not disclosing these facts by the seller before the sale?
Old 1st December 2012, 13:44   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash

I got mine Rxl(o) during Sep and it has Alloy wheel for spare. I am shocked to hear this cost cutting by Renault without even letting know the prospective buyer.

Hope they don't cost cut other things including reverse sensors and front passenger airbags too. Is there any way for the buyer to seek remedy through consumer forum for not disclosing these facts by the seller before the sale?
Well you can't do anything. Because if you read fine print, it says renault can change the equipment level provided at any time without prior notification. Looks like I'm a victim of fine print. And I thought only financial thugs dupe you with fine print .

Anyway I have sent a email to renault. Will call them up if they do not give a solution.

Edit: now I gotta check for ABS too. Who knows they skipped it too

Last edited by acroback : 1st December 2012 at 13:46.
Old 2nd December 2012, 00:08   #1596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjanravi View Post
I was at Chennai Ennore port yesterday where Renault started exporting the first set of 350 Duster's to the UK and Ireland. As of date, Renault India have delivered 19,000 dusters to the Indian customers as well!
You can read my report of the yesterday's event here:
http://autocarma.in/2012/11/30/dus/

Also, I managed to catch the 4x4 Duster inside, outside and underneath! The entire picture set on what could be different in the 4x4 from the 4x2 can be found here:

http://autocarma.in/2012/11/30/what-...enault-duster/

Cheers!
Im like super confused at the same time furious over some decisions that manufacturers make... Can someone please explain why they would not sell that AWESOME BLUE color in India?

Have seen so many companies taking this decision, why cant they offer them here when they are already producing them? Takes me back to the 4WD decision
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-screenshot20121130at92629pm.png  

Renault Duster : Official Review-screenshot20121130at92127pm.png  

Last edited by zen kobane : 2nd December 2012 at 00:12.
zen kobane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:58   #1597

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Post deleted. Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on the board.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled. Please take this as warning.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd December 2012 at 12:24.
anjanravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 12:59   #1598
BHPian

I have crossed 2100 km in about a fortnight now. Have the following to report: -

1. I'm consistently getting ~20 km-pl, however please note that about 1800 km have been on the highway. Also, AC/heater has been on almost 98% of the time. Also see my point about tire pressure below.

2. The engine is noticeably freer and driving is more pleasurable and easier now. The vehicle doesn't feel underpowered anymore. The vehicle delivers power when I want it to (while overtaking). By the way I'm a really sedate driver, haven't touched 3 digit speeds yet.

3. Turning the AC off after it has been running continuously and keeping the air blowers on, there is a really foul stench resembling smelly socks coming from the blowers. I gotta get to the bottom of this as it's really unpleasant and has never happened on my previous vehicles.

4. I am yet to detect any evidence of outside odors creeping in. It hasn't happened to me and I have been through really filthy, dirty areas and certain stretches where the dust was so thick you couldn't see what's right in front of you during daytime.

5. The AC vent selector/distribution knob (leftmost knob) doesn't have a smooth rotation, and is a pain to use. It takes a LOT of effort to rotate. I pointed this out to the service guys who effectively said "it is like that only". But I don't believe that. Need to check it out myself on other Dusters.

6. I had the misfortune of meeting with an accident. A guy overtook me on the highway and almost immediately braked hard. I braked but couldn't prevent my Duster from ramming the vehicle in front. The damage isn't severe - I was lucky that the point of impact was the front bumper plastic to the right of the front number plate, as a hit on the metal would have been really ugly. The impact caused the metal panel above the front right fog light to get dislodged from the clamp. I must point out here that, incidentally, this very panel had an uneven lining and was already out of the clamp and I had pointed this out to the service guys the previous day! BTW, I think I probably won't claim insurance for this as I feel only minor labor costs would be involved. I won't be able to get to the workshop for another 3 weeks though.

7. I have driven over bad roads and no roads, and there are some sounds that I wouldn't call rattles, but they are there coming from the left side of the vehicle. These have been present since before the accident. The accident itself has caused no rattles as far as I can tell. There are no sounds when driving on proper smooth roads.

8. Renault recommends 29 psi for all tires for the Duster. I tried 32 on all, then 30 on all, and 32 on all again. For my driving routes, I find 32 is much more comfortable. Probably helps towards my fuel economy too, though that is not my aim.

9. Even with 205 mm of ground clearance, I have managed to scrape the under-body thrice, one time was quite nasty. I took a look at the underside when the vehicle was lifted at the workshop and it is exquisite, though rust formation is extensive for an OCT-2012 manufactured car. Of course the body panels must have been in existence from well before.

10. The matte finish black door handles and other similar plastic parts are hard to keep clean. Even water stains refuse to go away from
these.

11. I need to fit a child seat. Please advise. As far as I understand the Duster doesn't come with ISOFIX mount points. What's the most secure option I have?

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd December 2012 at 22:03. Reason: Edited for better readability
snkjr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 13:09   #1599
BHPian

Thanks for the report Snkjr! Sorry about the accident.

I don't have nearly the mileage as you, 20 is fantastic! However I do drive in inner city bumper to bumper traffic and its around 13 for the 110.

I can confirm like you, the engine has become much much more freer than when I first got.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 13:21   #1600
BHPian

It has been just a day since I got my 85 PS(O) Duster.
I have already driven it around 300Kms.

Average is 19.8 kmpl as per MID. This included 2 trips to Airport and Regular Bangalore traffic.

I avoid going about 80kmph speed. At 80kmph in 5th gear, rpm is around 1900. I expect 100 to be around 2100 rpm after first service.

Thanks,
Old 2nd December 2012, 17:22   #1601
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
I have crossed 2100 km in about a fortnight now. Have the following to report: -

3. Turning the AC off after it has been running continuously and keeping the air blowers on, there is a really foul stench resembling smelly socks coming from the blowers. I gotta get to the bottom of this as it's really unpleasant and has never happened on my previous vehicles.
7. I have driven over bad roads and no roads, and there are some sounds that I wouldn't call rattles, but they are there coming from the left side of the vehicle. These have been present since before the accident. The accident itself has caused no rattles as far as I can tell. There are no sounds when driving on proper smooth roads.
9. Even with 205 mm of ground clearance, I have managed to scrape the under-body thrice, one time was quite nasty. I took a look at the underside when the vehicle was lifted at the workshop and it is exquisite, though rust formation is extensive for an OCT-2012 manufactured car. Of course the body panels must have been in existence from well before.
  1. Reply for 3: The smell could be because of logged water which is a problem many other owners are reporting.
  2. Reply for 7: My dad observed a glug-glug sound from the front of the vehicle which he first thought is suspension originated noise. One fine day when he filled up the wind shield washer bottle he found that the bottle was really big and placed very close to the firewall (cabin), so the water bouncing about in it was the culprit.
  3. Reply for 9: What kind of roads do you drive on mate?
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:58   #1602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
  1. Reply for 3: The smell could be because of logged water which is a problem many other owners are reporting.
  2. Reply for 7: My dad observed a glug-glug sound from the front of the vehicle which he first thought is suspension originated noise. One fine day when he filled up the wind shield washer bottle he found that the bottle was really big and placed very close to the firewall (cabin), so the water bouncing about in it was the culprit.
  3. Reply for 9: What kind of roads do you drive on mate?
The thought of water seepage as reported by others did cross my mind. I'm gonna check the next time I'm on a longish drive.

The washer fluid container is on the LHS very close to the firewall on the Duster too, but the sound is really not coming from it as far as I can tell.

I am driving on backwoods kind of roads which are mostly wide enough for two cars to pass each other side by side. Anything wider and at least one vehicle needs to drop to the side. I mostly encounter heavy vehicles and it's difficult to coerce them off the road, plus they are loaded and really it's troublesome for them to go off the road and climb back up, so I give way. I say 'climb back up' because that's what it literally is - the road is raised quite a bit off the ground and the edge is perpendicular to the adjacent ground. So on such occasions when I had to go partly off the road the underside scraped and one time was really bad. Plus loose gravel abound and ricochet in every direction when they are shot off the tires.

Last edited by snkjr : 2nd December 2012 at 19:00. Reason: corrected grammar
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:43   #1603
Distinguished - BHPian

Duster consistently clocks 5000+ in Nov too!

Quote:
Renault India clocked 6,607 units with Renault Duster accounting for 5,251 units, the Scala 807 units, Pulse 436 units, Fluence 82 units and the Koleos 31 units.
http://smehorizon.sulekha.com/renaul...iewsitem_10129
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:47   #1604
BHPian

How did you people solve the outside stench filtering into cabin?
Please note I have the air circulation mode locked to appropriate position.

Thanks,
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:20   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docster View Post
Had a minor 'Eureka' moment yesterday on 2 points.

The rear bottom seat folds up against the back of the rear seat (Like in a Tavera) and then the back can be folded down to get a flat bed, but with a small hump in the middle. I'm not sure if this was discovered by others, but this was something the Renault guys didn't tell me.
Hi Docster,

Regarding the rear seat folding, I know of the backrest folding forward and down towards the seat bottom. I'm not sure how the bottom of the seat folds upwards. Can you post a photo of this and describe the procedure in more detail?

Clouseau

Most Viewed