Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:49   #1606
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Hi Docster,

Regarding the rear seat folding, I know of the backrest folding forward and down towards the seat bottom. I'm not sure how the bottom of the seat folds upwards. Can you post a photo of this and describe the procedure in more detail?

Clouseau
Jut lift the bottom of the seat up. You ll find that it is eager to move. You do not have to press anything to move the bottom of the seat up. Put you hand under the rear seat from either of the rear doors and give a small budge upwards. Infact underside looks thermocol kind of thing, some sort of soft plastic to me. I do not know what exactly is it.

I discovered this while removing the plastic covers on first day.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:18   #1607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Hi Clouseau

That's an excellent FE. I am getting 16 to 16.5 for 2200 KM. The FE you are reporting is over how many KM?
My city runs are in bumper to bumper mumbai traffic, this accounts for approx 40% of my total running till date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

I don't think even the Micra, which shares the same heart, won't give 20 kmpl in city. Have you checked it over a full tank? What were the traffic conditions like? Are you getting this FE consistently?

And, what does she return on the highway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Time to think differently with the Duster or monocoque SUVs in general. Read thru the reviews & you will understand your fear with high GC on Duster is unwarranted. :-)

Could you tell us your constant speed, gear, road conditions, AC usage, time of travel, traffic density, load in the car & above all, how do you calculate FE?

EDIT: FYI, guess yours is the first Duster to report 20+ kmpl on the forum. How much has your car run?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
This sounds too good to be true Are you reporting this from the MID after allowing it to average out for one full tank at least if not more? Have you done a manual calculation to double check if the MID is not reporting bad numbers? Because if you can get ARAI figures in full city driving then manufacturers will hire you for their R&D immediately!
Hi,

Here's a detailed response to your queries on the FE:

- My Duster has crossed 2500kms. I drive it alone during the week and the load increases to the wife and kids on weekends. Most of my driving is in off-peak hours (late morning, afternoon and evening) although in metros like Delhi you still end up in bumper to bumper traffic a few times each trip. In the average trip of 10-14 kms that i do I rarely hit 5th gear and mostly am in 2nd (mild traffic) or 4th (mild cruising).
- The FE of I'm reporting is now over the last 2 full tanks. I am going mostly by the reading on the computer with only 1 manual check so far.
- BTW swiftnfurious even if my fears about the high GC are unwarranted I always tend to drive slower than most and especially go easy on turns
- For all the Naysayers out there who are questioning the FE I'm reporting, do keep in mind that there was another person on this forum who reported greater mileage than this in his first few weeks (jsing3 reported 25 kmpl) - so don't be too surprised at reports around the 19-20 mark!
- Oh and suchit23, the ARAI are welcome to contact me for driving tips. Maybe you should too

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I think the simple reason for this is they started taking bookings in the UK in July and committed to start deliveries in January 2013.

They did not anticipate the extent of India demand, but they had to keep up the commitment to the UK public who too are waiting anxiously for their Dusters'.

Apart from India this is the only other right hand drive market so the production will have to happen from here.

I have always heard they have a capacity to manufacture 400000 vehicles a year in their Chennai facility, clearly they are not yet at full capacity or the local Duster demand would be a piece of cake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
hmm.. forgot this scenario. thanks
Regarding plant capacity, they initially started the duster assembly lines which were capable of making 5000 cars, they are working hard to add more capacity (source : dealer) but never received any info on the plant's actual capacity. Thanks.
Hi Raul,

As I recall there was some fair anticipation of Renault's Dacia brand - as seen on the News part of a TopGear episode if you've seen it? So you're right that they wanted to keep their commitment to the UK public. After all Renault are European and that market is always close to their hearts (and wallets)

But let's not forget that Renault-Nissan have bet the bank on the Duster. It is a very important VOLUME car for them and even on lower margins volume products drive profits. This is why they must ship the Duster wherever they see demand - especially where there is great sales potential.

Cheers!

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same t
hread.

Last edited by GTO : 4th December 2012 at 15:11. Reason: PM coming up
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:20   #1608
BHPian

Mark Webber test drives the Duster

This happened somwhere between the Indian GP and the Abu Dhabi GP.

More info:
http://www.arabwheels.net/index.php?...news&Itemid=99
funkmeister is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:24   #1609
BHPian

I have booked 85PS RXL(O) on 06 Sept 2012 with Divine Auto Tech, Delhi. Till now no delivery in sight. Enquired about the delivery few times. Answer was so irresponsible (E.g. : 1. 85PS Engine option booking is so poor Renault is not manufacturing for want of good batch qty. 2. Our booking is the highest in India, we have not completed even July 2012 booking, 3. Take 110PS RXZ, Delivery immediate. 4. We do not know when you can get delivery, May be Feb 2013 as out of every 100 cars sold, only 3 or 4 or 85PS, etc, etc) that I left it to them to call me. Thank god for not selling my AVEO which I will do after getting the delivery of Duster.

Sales Guys in the showroom keep changing every time. I feel even the Manager got changed. Therefore, whatever promise is made in the previous visit doe snot hold until the next visit.

With these new MNC companies, Car buying has become a real nightmare. One of my colleague booked Vento and they promised delivery within 2 months. Got a call within a week saying that different color is available. He has agreed to have a look and take it. Visited the next day, the car is gone. Back to 2 month period. He asked them to cancel the booking (As adviced by another colleague) and booked clour car was arranged the next day.

Point is whom to believe, what to believe has become a puzzle.

Hoping to get the delivery atleast by Jan 2013, New Year.

ramesh
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:32   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post

You removed plastic covers on Day1? I still have them after 2 months.
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:35   #1611

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post
I have booked 85PS RXL(O) on 06 Sept 2012 with Divine Auto Tech, Delhi.
=================

ramesh
I booked mine in Delhi on 20th of July. I was promised a delivery date in mid Nov. Then it was postponed to Dec. Now January. I hope you get yours by Jan. That will ensure i get mine by then.
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:39   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
How did you people solve the outside stench filtering into cabin?
Please note I have the air circulation mode locked to appropriate position.

Thanks,
No solution till date mate! I have checked this with my dealer at least thrice. He is as clueless as you and me are.
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:49   #1613
BHPian

Is there any one who booked 85 PC RXL (O) after my booking date, but already got delivery?

Quote:
I have booked 85PS RXL(O) on 06 Sept 2012 with Divine Auto Tech, Delhi. Till now no delivery in sight. Enquired about the delivery few times. Answer was so irresponsible (E.g. : 1. 85PS Engine option booking is so poor Renault is not manufacturing for want of good batch qty. 2. Our booking is the highest in India, we have not completed even July 2012 booking, 3. Take 110PS RXZ, Delivery immediate. 4. We do not know when you can get delivery, May be Feb 2013 as out of every 100 cars sold, only 3 or 4 or 85PS, etc, etc) that I left it to them to call me. Thank god for not selling my AVEO which I will do after getting the delivery of Duster.

Sales Guys in the showroom keep changing every time. I feel even the Manager got changed. Therefore, whatever promise is made in the previous visit doe snot hold until the next visit.

With these new MNC companies, Car buying has become a real nightmare. One of my colleague booked Vento and they promised delivery within 2 months. Got a call within a week saying that different color is available. He has agreed to have a look and take it. Visited the next day, the car is gone. Back to 2 month period. He asked them to cancel the booking (As adviced by another colleague) and booked clour car was arranged the next day.

Point is whom to believe, what to believe has become a puzzle.

ramesh
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:22   #1614
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any one who booked 85 PC RXL (O) after my booking date, but already got delivery?
A cousin booked one in September with the Delhi West dealer and no sight of delivery as yet. 85 RXL (O) model. Dealer is feeding him similar stories - no production of 85 PS, take 110 etc.

Renault or their dealers are really playing dirty here. I would presume that the 110 has better margins because the engine is same - just a different map. Agreed the GB and turbo are different but they still won't add up to the 1L difference.
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:53   #1615

Note from Team-BHP Support: Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking and driving and any mention of alcohol. Hence posts containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly) are not allowed. Please read the Announcements before proceeding. This is your last and final warning. If repeated, you will receive an infraction.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd December 2012 at 21:52. Reason: see note in post
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:31   #1616
vij
BHPian

Quote:
I posted this before. I went with my FIL who booked the Petrol RXE. The dealer had 2 Petrol RXE and 1 red Petrol RXL for immediate delivery - no waiting period. However, we were informed that the standard waiting period for petrol duster is 3 months and diesel Duster RXL is 4 months. Waiting period for RXZ is 1 week. This is in Hyd - Padmaraonagar branch. The other dealer(in Jubilee Hills) was saying 7 months waiting period for Petrol Duster and even then wouldn't guarantee delivery.

Last edited by vij : 3rd December 2012 at 21:36.
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:43   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Jut lift the bottom of the seat up. You ll find that it is eager to move. You do not have to press anything to move the bottom of the seat up. Put you hand under the rear seat from either of the rear doors and give a small budge upwards. Infact underside looks thermocol kind of thing, some sort of soft plastic to me. I do not know what exactly is it.

I also would like to add that have some one to help you in doing this.
I accidentally (eureka moment, not ) moved the seat, but one hinge came out (it is just a lever going inside a slot) and putting it back was real back breaking work.
I will try to push down the rear back rest after lifting the bench portion. I had that in my previous car and loved the full flat bed setup (Fiat Adventure)
Old 4th December 2012, 01:49   #1618
BHPian

A curious observation. The level of interest in Duster remains high and you do get strangers coming up.

Folks who are really interested would already have gone to the showroom, now its the other more casual kind of interest. 10 of 10 times they ask me about the price and are a bit shocked that I paid nearly 13 lakhs! when they thought it was available for 7-8 lakhs.

I have to then tell them that's the basic, bare bones petrol, and if you want essentials like airbags, abs and opt for diesel engines its 11-13 lakhs onroad!

They protest that the ad says 7 lakhs! They seem to be unable to bridge that gap in their minds!
Old 4th December 2012, 02:28   #1619
BHPian

Hey Guys,
Took delivery of 85 RXL (O) on auspicious day of Prakash Utsav of Guru Nanak ji. 28th Nov.
I booked on 11th of July & variant booked was 85 RXL.
Dealer was not giving any confirmation on delivery dates.
After infinite visits to showroom, endless coffees with manager,SA & even with the owner. I was offered 85 RXL (O),
which is happily accepted. So i end up buying higher variant with Safety features and few other things.
OTR price for 85 RXL (O) is Rs 12,15,756.
My booking was price protected therefore i got discount of 40 K
+ i saved 21K on insurance as i got it transferred which is running 65% NCB. So total saving of 61K
Renault Duster : Official Review-28112012267.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-03122012277.jpg
Fifth wheel not an Alloy, its a steel wheel.
Renault Duster : Official Review-02122012272.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-03122012276.jpg
h.s.r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 08:22   #1620
BHPian

@h.s.r Congratulations and I wish you many happy miles and safe driving.

@all - one observation - the spare wheel below the trunk is not such a good idea after all. One duster owner told me that a kid at a mechanic's garage was able to remove the spare wheel without having to loosen the holder frame from inside the trunk like it's supposed to be done. He just removed a couple of nut bolts from the underside and the wheel was in his hands!

Everybody watch out - this is gonna become a major/common theft complaint related to the Duster if I'm not wrong.

Last edited by snkjr : 4th December 2012 at 08:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks