Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2012, 14:16   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonak159 View Post
Ideally, in case of Duster, I would have love to read about the way Renault has managed to eek out the extra 25 bhp from the same machine, that's the point of interest to me. Can someone help?
My understanding is:

Pulse/Micra/Logan/Verito: 68 bhp;1.5dCi with Fixed Geometry Turbo (FGT)
Sunny/Duster Base 85: 85 bhp;1.5dCi with FGT + Intercooler
Fluence E2/Duster 110: 110bhp 1.5dCi with Variable (VGT) + Intercooler
Fluence E4 - Similar to E2 above but with refinements like new ECU mapping, changed VGT etc.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 14:28   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonak159 View Post
Being an engineer, i love reading about tech, however even on your forum details of tech is last thing that one discusses here. Ideally, in case of Duster, I would have love to read about the way Renault has managed to eek out the extra 25 bhp from the same machine, that's the point of interest to me. Can someone help?
I guess a majority of the folks on this forum would be engineers.

That apart, coming to your point, though I don't have authentic technical information, it is not difficult to guess how Renault would have managed to eek out the extra 25 bhp from the same machine, invariably using a Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT). As the engine speed increases the turbo vanes change their orientation & pump in more air per stroke, resulting is increased power. So the 110ps powered engine would have a VGT, whereas the 85ps version would have a Fix Geometry Turbocharger (FGT). Due to the bigger turbo in the higher powered engine, there is an inherent turbolag as the bigger turbo takes some time to reach its optimum operating range. Whereas the smaller turbo, which has lower inertia would start spinning at lower engine speeds & there would be minimal turbolag. Hence the hypothesis that the there won't be much turbolag in the 85ps version Duster & it would be a boon to drive in the city (as is the Logan/Verito).

Experts please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 24th July 2012, 14:32   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

1. I just hope the seat is easily detachable and this optional accessory does not cost a fortune.

2. How I wished there was a detailed review also about the 85PS Duster? Dear MODS, any chances of that coming in the near future?
Hello,

1. Accesories are always optional.

2. I think it makes sense to review the top end versions rather than the low and mid variants. Else there will be far too many reviews

The 85 PS engine is already known to us since the Sunny has the same engine.

Moderator Rehaan has asked the question already here

Quote:
As for the 85 PS version, just a one word confirmation that its in exactly the same state of tune as the Sunny will be enough for me.
Moderator GTO has responded here

Quote:
Well, nearly the same tune as the Sunny D, but in the Duster, it makes max torque at a 100 rpm less! The difference in kerb weight is merely 90 kilos (or one really healthy passenger). I haven't a doubt that the Duster 85 PS will be far superior to the 110 PS in the city (unless our upcoming test throws some unpleasant surprises).
Thank you
darsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 14:40   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsa View Post
Hello,

1. Accesories are always optional.

Thank you

Dear darsa,

I am so grateful to you for pointing out the mistakes. "Accessories are always optional" was a revelation for me. I guess I have not been reading properly in all these 3 years on TBHP.
Old 24th July 2012, 15:35   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Dear darsa,

I am so grateful to you for pointing out the mistakes. "Accessories are always optional" was a revelation for me.
Hello,

You are welcome. Although I must mention that my intention was to improve the quality of the post and not find mistakes. "Optional accesory" did sound a little funny. You are on the verge of becoming a senior member of the forum and I am a newbie here (in termso f number of posts). I am sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My understanding is:

Pulse/Micra/Logan/Verito: 68 bhp;1.5dCi with Fixed Geometry Turbo (FGT)
Sunny/Duster Base 85: 85 bhp;1.5dCi with FGT + Intercooler
Fluence E2/Duster 110: 110bhp 1.5dCi with Variable (VGT) + Intercooler
Fluence E4 - Similar to E2 above but with refinements like new ECU mapping, changed VGT etc.
Hello,

Thank you for the detailed clarification. That was really helpful.

What are the refinements to ECU mapping in the Fluence E4? Do the Fluence E2 and Duster 110 have the same ECU map?

This question can really confuse the Renault sales guys.

Thank you
darsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 16:09   #171

By the way the engg part was not a showoff. yes the reply is apt. I am dead sure, most serious writers would be engineers or technically oriented

basis, your input that the additional air pumped in to the cylinder helps generate the extra power not to forget remapping and other tweaks. The lean mixture to a great extent helps explain the high ARAI mileage figure of the car.
shonak159 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 16:15   #172
BHPian

Hi GTO ,

Wow what a review , other reviews are no reviews at all compared to the one by you. Kudos !!

Your suggestion of rear sliding seats are so valuable , I am not sure what stops them to make it the way you have suggested. I really feel auto designers must contact you with pre-final interior designs of the vehicle and avoid obvious blunders

Thanks once again for super review

regards
Amol
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 16:41   #173
Senior - BHPian

Great review GTO, thanks. Lovely pics of the Duster and Munnar! Looking forward to the review of the 85 BHP version. That really seems like the best bet (unless the td throws up some nasty surprises). On the flip side, the petrol variant has received practically no interest!

By the way, I came across this pic of the Duster's interiors on Renault's website. The piano black bits have been substituted by an aluminium/chrome type finish. Don't recall seeing this option in any of the reviews/previews. Any idea if this is available and if so, on which variant? Looks better than the black/wooden finish IMO!

Renault Duster : Official Review-duster_int1.jpg

Source: Renault - OVERVIEW
Old 24th July 2012, 16:46   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
excellent review GTO. Here's a less expensive, comfortable, monococque, light weight, High GC and potential mod-friendly machine. here's my question, will it be targetting Pajero in future if its 4x4 is out?
Apologies for jumping in but to compare the Duster (even with 4x4 option) with the Pajero is stretching the comparison a bit too much.

I do agree the duster with its large wheel arches has the potential for some fun rims & alloys. Also anyone with spare change would love to do up the interiors
Old 24th July 2012, 16:52   #175
BHPian

@razor: looking at the Body colored ORVM- this appears to be the RxL
Old 24th July 2012, 17:03   #176
BHPian

@razor4077 > Thanks for uploading the picture I am sure this is the interior of Rxl model both in the 85 & 110 with chrome finished hand grip in the doors, chrome color in steering wheel plus newly textured seat covers and also note the body colored ORVM.

I have been going through the review and all its feedback. First thank you GTO for bringing this wonderful review with absolutely stunning photos and great insight to practical use and the performance of the various parts and also about the turbo lag present in 110.

I can understand from your view and also as an Sunny owner the ideal model among the lot would be 85(o) pack with minimum tubo lag and full safety features to be the best buy. Still waiting for your official review once you lay your hands on it.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 24th July 2012 at 17:18.
sathyaprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 17:50   #177
BHPian

Sorry for the back to back post as the 30 minutes time has elapsed

When i went through the official Renault site its specification shows ALLOY Wheels as OE for Rxl 85 and for Rxl 110 but in my brochure I am holding reads alloy wheels comes in optional pack in Rxl(o) and in Rxz110.

Now which is wrong and which is right? correct me if I am wrong. Are we paying in particular (Chennai) 1,00,000 + 60,000(tax) extra for ABS, Air bag and reverse sensor alone for the option pack in 85ps.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 24th July 2012 at 17:59.
Old 24th July 2012, 18:06   #178
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight

Rear wheel drive is better in hill climbs especially when a vehicle is loaded.
Your comparison of amby and Maruti 800 is incorrect. Low end torque and gearing are more important than anything else in a a hill climb. On a steep hill the 63 bhp Bolero DI easily beats the 140bhp Safari hands down ( both 2 wheel drive )
Thanks!
I was only comparing the performance in the hills. The 800 is fun to drive in the hills whereas the Amby was not!
Old 24th July 2012, 18:07   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Sorry for the back to back post as the 30 minutes time has elapsed

When i went through the official Renault site its specification shows ALLOY Wheels as OE for Rxl 85 and for Rxl 110 but in my brochure I am holding reads alloy wheels comes in optional pack in Rxl(o) and in Rxz110.

Now which is wrong and which is right? correct me if I am wrong. Are we paying in particular (Chennai) 1,00,000 + 60,000(tax) extra for ABS, Air bag and reverse sensor alone for the option pack in 85ps.
Hello, Alloy wheels are available only in RXL 85 Option pack and RXZ 110

Ex-Showroom pricing of same variant across the country should have been same. Some places RXL 85 PS Option Pack is 9.99 Lakhs (eg Delhi/NCR) other places it is more than 10 Lakhs which Makes pricing for same car after taxes , much higher due to crossing of 10 Lakh Threshhold. This aspect should have been taken care by Renault

I feel differential of 1 Lakh more in Option Pack is worth as it comes with ABS, Airbags, Alloys, Reverse sensor

Cheers
Old 24th July 2012, 18:13   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitinz View Post
Hello, Alloy wheels are available only in RXL 85 Option pack and RXZ 110

Ex-Showroom pricing of same variant across the country should have been same. Some places RXL 85 PS Option Pack is 9.99 Lakhs (eg Delhi/NCR) other places it is more than 10 Lakhs which Makes pricing for same car after taxes , much higher due to crossing of 10 Lakh Threshhold. This aspect should have been taken care by Renault

I feel differential of 1 Lakh more in Option Pack is worth as it comes with ABS, Airbags, Alloys, Reverse sensor

Cheers

Thanks, please go through the official specification chart from Renault site where it mentions both RXL and RXL (o) comes with ALLOY wheels now my question is not about the tax structure which i know but is it worth to pay 1 lakh more for ABS, Airbag and reverse sensor (only audible) only. Or is it an mistake of details in official site?

Last edited by GTO : 25th July 2012 at 18:29. Reason: Fixing quote

Most Viewed