Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:48   #1816
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
I am waiting for the call / mail from Renault since they have contacted GTO here and asked for my contact info.
So you have bought a Duster (i.e. you are already a customer of Renault) and they don't have your contact info, neither can they get it from the dealer???

Of course, it's good if they are taking a note of feedback/opinion posted on team-bhp...
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:57   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
So you have bought a Duster (i.e. you are already a customer of Renault) and they don't have your contact info, neither can they get it from the dealer???

Of course, it's good if they are taking a note of feedback/opinion posted on team-bhp...
It's hilarious anandpadhye, I have sent them my VIN number, cell number and mail ID many times. No one has bothered to contact me in over a month since I mailed to Renault. They have responded because of the the 'free' publicity I have given them through the videos (of the leak) I posted on You Tube .

Even now they want my contact info, but have so far not contacted me.
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:32   #1818
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
It's hilarious anandpadhye, I have sent them my VIN number, cell number and mail ID many times. No one has bothered to contact me in over a month since I mailed to Renault. They have responded because of the the 'free' publicity I have given them through the videos (of the leak) I posted on You Tube .

Even now they want my contact info, but have so far not contacted me.
Hope that they wont comeback with the reasons saying,
-"This VIN doesnt exist in our records "

I feel really sad to see my favourtite car has such a big problem. The saddest part being the A.S.S inability to fix it. The ugliest part is that, the Manufacturer is not at all responding to its customers in the correct way.

I advice you to take it agressively.
-Drop a Hard copy of complaint to Renault india. Copy others as required (as Suggested above)
-Try to get all the required information to file a complaint in Consumer forum or other areas. Ensure that you have all the required document proof in hand.
-Hurry up the things. It doesnt make any sense doing things in a relaxed manner. Because of that leak, corrosion might start on Chasis.

Remember, it doesnt make sense living with a car hating it to the core everyday.
Also remember that, You paid for car. Now you are in Pain. Only you can take an appropriate action to get the problems resolved. Only You can SHOUT.
  (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:16   #1819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Hope that they wont comeback with the reasons saying,
-"This VIN doesnt exist in our records "

I feel really sad to see my favourtite car has such a big problem. T

I advice you to take it agressively.

Remember, it doesnt make sense living with a car hating it to the core everyday.
Also remember that, You paid for car. Now you are in Pain. ...Only You can SHOUT.
I won't be surprised if they say "the VIN doesn't" exist!
Despite it's problems I love my Duster (though I hate getting into it in the morning). None of the other cars I drive goes like the Duster. I only hate the after sales service and customer care.

I'm going back to Renault Coimbatore tomorrow. After that the battle will begin in earnest. I don't want any more Renault customers to experience this callous treatment from such a (dis)reputed company.
woodcrawler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:03   #1820
BHPian

After 2000 Kms and first service here are my initial impressions

Positives :-
+ 85 BHP is a gem to drive in city, not once have I stalled the engine, despite coming from a Santro known for excellent in city drive ability.
+ That suspension and ride quality at 29 psi is too good. Though I usually drive at 30 psi, still drive is good.
+ Steering has ample feedback at 50+ speeds till 110. Never been above 110 so no idea above that. This despite the same steering feels over assisted at low speeds. Good job!
+ High fuel efficiency, between 17.5 kmpl to 20 kmpl in Bangalore's maddening traffic. Route taken is Old Madras Road and Old airport Road. Daily run of close to 55kms.
On highway runs during inital 1000 kms I got an astonishing 23kmpl. I am sure I can get a little more with my style of careful driving.
+ Turning radius is a boon. I can count couple of times where I took a clean U turn, where it looked impossible.
+ excellent all round visibility except for A pillars in front.
+ Boot space is perfect for a family.
+ NVH levels, once engine heats up.

Negatives:-
- Every god damn thing is extremely mechanical in nature. Headlight adjustment, fuel lid, central lock. Was this thing designed by someone stuck in 80s?
- Atrocious quality at some places. Thankfully, such places are less.
- Ugly exposed bits if you can bend down to look.
- No auto central lock is taking it too far.
- Below par sound system.Even my santro's budget music system sounds 10 times better than Duster's.
- Quirky ergonomics here and there.

More in my initial ownership report which is staling from last one month.

But, even with all these quirks, when you drive in poor roads of HighTaxaLuru(aka Bengaluru) it gives you immense pleasure that though it lacks gadgets, luxury or bling the car has all its basics just right.

If you are person who prefer function over form, you are going to fall in love with this vehicle. If you want more electronics, gadgets, bling or shiny stuff for money look elsewhere.

/Now off to finishing that Initial ownership report.
acroback is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:30   #1821
BHPian

OK. Seeing everyone going gaga over the Duster, I need to rant a little bit.

I (re)drove the Duster last week after putting my booking on hold as I wanted to see how the test drive cars were holding up as it would give me some idea on the long term effects of the very obvious poor plastic quality and cost cutting.

I was completely gobsmacked when the entire door rubber beading was coming off on the 110 RXZ that I drove. It was more or less off on the drivers' door and the rear doors were on their way there. Further, the driver's seat was broken and wobbled horrendously everytime I braked. what took my breath away was on taking a closer look, I noticed that ALL the AC vents were broken, and the door handles were on their last legs. To top it all, the arrogance of the staff at dealership is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Needless to say, I cancelled my booking as the fact that the Duster is no longer cheap by any stretch of imagination helped my decision. I checked out the Storme as well and I was pleasantly surprised. The price of the VX is the same as that of the RXZ(O) that I had booked and quality 10 times better. Its a sad day when Tata seems to have put together a car better than Renault.

Any thoughts? Sorry about the longish rant but I had to put this out there.
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:38   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Its a sad day when Tata seems to have put together a car better than Renault.
Hey dude, why do you feel its a sad day. In fact, it should be a day when we should be proud of our Indian manufacturer. If only more people realize this, Renault will come to its senses.
floyd.bell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:45   #1823
BHPian

Quote:

I (re)drove the Duster last week after putting my booking on hold as I wanted to see how the test drive cars were holding up as it would give me some idea on the long term effects of the very obvious poor plastic quality and cost cutting.

I was completely gobsmacked when the entire door rubber beading was coming off on the 110 RXZ that I drove. It was more or less off on the drivers' door and the rear doors were on their way there. Further, the driver's seat was broken and wobbled horrendously everytime I braked. what took my breath away was on taking a closer look, I noticed that ALL the AC vents were broken, and the door handles were on their last legs. To top it all, the arrogance of the staff at dealership is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Well being a Duster owner for now over three months, I can safely say that the car is not going to age well.
Both my front doors make such a scary creeking noise every time I brake or accelerate, that it reminds me of the slowly opening door of Bhoot Bangla in Ramsay movies.
engrohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:50   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
Hey dude, why do you feel its a sad day. In fact, it should be a day when we should be proud of our Indian manufacturer. If only more people realize this, Renault will come to its senses.
My bad. I meant a sad day for Renault. Tata seems to be doing quite well with the improvements on the Safari. Having owned 3 Safaris (TCIC, 3 L Dicor and lastly the 2.2l Dicor) I am very happy to say that quality has improved (It better have, given that the interiors are large unchanged :P).

Just can't get myself to get another Safari. It seems crazy although I think its the most VFM SUV in the market today
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:29   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Well being a Duster owner for now over three months, I can safely say that the car is not going to age well.
Both my front doors make such a scary creeking noise every time I brake or accelerate, that it reminds me of the slowly opening door of Bhoot Bangla in Ramsay movies.
Totally agree.
My front door started rattling during initial 2000 kms.
Add to that the driver seat made a goddamn annoying creaking sound during gear changes and on bumps.
Left front seat made a smashing sound on sharp corners, with a heavy passenger seated.

Luckily, all this was fixed in first service with satisfying answers for the causes.

This car is no way abuse friendly as mentioned in the official review. It is a car you should treat with utmost care
acroback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:34   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
I have clocked closer to 15000 Kms on my Duster without any major hurdles. Sure, I had my share of teething troubles, niggles most of which have been sorted out, but if you were to compare the comfort, driveability and braking of the Duster Vs the TATA storme the conclusion is foregone.
At the cost of repeating myself, just because the Duster can ride over rough roads with ease does not mean that you can do that at high speeds without consequences like rattling, plastic breakage etc which is what TD vehicles are meant to do everyday, all day.
DUSTER was meant to be the cheapest SUV in the world and hence built cheap, but that does not in any way mean that the fundamentals of design, handling and safety were compromised. If you are going to buy a cheap SUV, dont expect luxurious interiors.As long as the Duster is not abused, it will hold it's own. I have taken my Duster over terrains where even the Bolero could not go, and still the vehicle still is in pretty good shape.
It is a totally different matter altogether that Renault are very greedy and priced the Duster obscenely high for India. But why blame them? They are just trying to cash in on this segment vacuum before the competition comes.
No offence to anybody, but go for the Duster only if basic functionality is your key priority.(my personal opinion)
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:54   #1827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
DUSTER was meant to be the cheapest SUV in the world and hence built cheap

No offence to anybody, but go for the Duster only if basic functionality is your key priority.(my personal opinion)
But Neil if basic functionality is one's key priority then why pay premium and not basic

As you mentioned, Duster is built cheap BUT not priced cheap in India. Add to that these niggles/rattling/quality issues, its absolutely fair that people will rant. Again no offence to anybody
floyd.bell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:11   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I have clocked closer to 15000 Kms on my Duster without any major hurdles.
I rely on your words Neil Roy. Having 15000 km on your belt, I have to rely naturally. More over, basic functionality is my bet, as my Blackberry. I don't like or need such gadgets for entertainments. I like and use my Blackberry strictly for official use. I think in the same way Duster will suits me.
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:42   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
As you mentioned, Duster is built cheap BUT not priced cheap in India. Add to that these niggles/rattling/quality issues, its absolutely fair that people will rant. Again no offence to anybody
We can rant all we want, but reality is that Duster does not have any competition as of now. A fact clearly emphasised by their consistent sales figures and long waiting periods. That is the reason why renault and the dealers are so arrogant/indifferent.
Truth be told, I expected the Duster to be priced at least 1.5 Lakhs cheaper than what is being offered now. When safety and comfort is my priority, does the additional cost matter? Not if i can afford it. That coupled with lack of options on our indian variants forced me to go for the Duster.
I may whine and rant about my Duster's cheap interiors, high pricing etc, but if my purpose is met, then it is fine.Very similar to how a marriage works- a married guy's perspective
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:44   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Renault Duster Will Get A Facelift To Stay Ahead Of EcoSport

Renault Duster : Official Review-renaultdusterfaceliftnewmodel.jpg
Quote:
Renault Duster received much better opening in Europe and India than Renault ever hoped for it. Although this crossover got some new modifications to suit the European markets but was offered at much lower prices than its main competitor Ford EcoSport. The present model has given a tough fight to the Ford giant not only in terms of prices but also in terms of aggressive marketing which was a major reason of its wide acceptance among consumers.

But now the scene seems changing since EcoSport returns back with a complete makeover. Although Renault shared an equal market share with Ford last month but for the upcoming months the story might take a new turn. Therefore, Renault also seems to be preparing its warrior for the new war. It is being assumed that the new Duster will carry several innovative features based on the concept D cross.

The major external changes that can be noticed will be in headlights and fender lines that would earn LED daytime functioning lights. The flashlights and bumper will also receive renovations. On the internal level the changes can be expected in terms of material quality and level of equipment. All changes seems to be in sync with the new evolved Ford EcoSport. An up gradation in engine can also be expected as a new version is all about improved efficiency and fuel consumption of a vehicle.

The new evolved Duster will definitely live up to the level of new Logan and Sandero. In India, the new Duster will be unveiled almost around the launch of new EcoSport. The renovated EcoSport is being assumed to be priced between Rs.5 lakh to Rs.7 lakh, and it is one point where Renault seems concerned. Although Duster has already earned a wide appreciation in terms of mileage and performance but the real war will begin when these upgraded players would stand face to face in Indian market. The Indian enthusiasts are also looking forward to one more major launches in 2013-14 in the same segment that is the launch of Maruti XA Alpha. The other players already making their mark in this segment are Tata Safari and Mahindra Scorpio.
Source:
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks