Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2013, 10:10   #2026
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Whether you lock the Car from remote or from the key, the moment you take out the key from ignition, the immobilizer is activated. (This is why the immobilizer is present)

This is what I have been noticing. Is it different from Cars (manufacturers) to Cars (manufacturers)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desidino View Post
We tried locking the doors physically with the key. But that light is still blinking. Wish there was a way to disable it. Would be bad if the car doesnt start after being idle for a few weeks.
A Car's immobilizer is meant to protect the Car whether you lock it from the key or the remote. The moment the key is out of ignition, the immobilizer in any modern Car should get activated. I am surprised that it doesn't happen in case of MSIL.

And rest assured, it won't drain out the battery. My Car has sat idle for close to a fortnight on several occasions and despite being a diesel, there was no trouble.

You Car's security system is working just fine. Don't sweat over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What's the time that you are looking to be away. I have read reports of people keeping the car locked for atleast 2 weeks and having no problems.
Quote:
If you are not comfortable, why don't you disconnect the battery? It should NOT be a problem right? Or worst case, you just need to buy a jumper cable, connect it to another car in your apartments and jump start it.
I believe if the Car is going to parked for close to a month, it would require a tender charger, else it can crank on its own.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 10:27   #2027
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi, I've restarted my Aveo (petrol) after 2 months with a single flick of the starter. Don't think the blinking LED with its miniscule power consumption will drain the battery!

Also, most people seem to have missed my earlier post; hence, cross-posting my own post from the Nissan Duster 4x4 thread:

Duster 4x4: Excellent & typically quirky review by Top Gear on the BBC site. There are some nice pictures as well so do follow the link.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130...dust-in-peru/1

Summary:

I decide, altitude-drunk, thankful to be alive, that this must be the perfect car for Peru. You want something with four-wheel drive, something cheap enough you won't mind it getting a bit dented by, say, a rapidly onrushing valley floor. Decent visibility is a must, to avoid clouting a mototaxi and being clouted by a ten-tonne truck.

And, the altitude-monologue continues, all those things that make the Duster so good here make it the perfect cheap car for Britain. A bit of extra suspension travel isn't only useful when you're tackling an Ande – it provides useful compliance on crumbled tarmac too, absorbing divots and ruts. The trade-off – in budget cars, at least – is usually a wallowing, sailboat approach to corners. But the Duster is slop-free. Maybe it's the hypoxia speaking, but I'm pretty sure it nails the ride-handling balance better than cars at many times its price.

The Duster doesn't aspire to budget chic or any such daft notion. It's simply budget, and all the better for it: honest, simple, good enough to make you reassess what you actually need, not want, from a new car. I can't claim it steers like an Exige or has a gearshift to match the Boxster, but it does all that stuff entirely adequately. And OK, its interior won't send Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen into raptures, but it has everything you need: seats, steering wheel, radio, all still attached after our thousand-mile off-road battering. We have subjected this simple, brilliant little car to punishment beyond anything that even Britain's most abused Defender has endured, and it has passed with flying colours. Brownish colours, admittedly, but flying brownish colours nonetheless.

Altitude sickness promotes grand, woozy thoughts, and this is mine. The Duster distills the very essence of motoring. Some cars we love for their pupil-melting beauty or for pushing the boundaries of technical possibility. But the main reason we love cars is because they offer freedom, a passport to the furthest-flung corners of the globe. And no car in the world offers more freedom for your quid than the Dacia Duster. Soft, strong and thoroughly canyon-proof, it's TopGear's Budget Car of the Year.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 16:36   #2028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If you are not comfortable, why don't you disconnect the battery? It should NOT be a problem right?
Should not be a problem, but please be aware that disconnecting the battery will then required you to reset your radio, so make sure you've got your PIN. I'm aware about the radio, but maybe there are other things I'm not aware of, so to me disconnecting the battery seems like a more bothersome thing to do.

But all this is totally unnecessary I guess. This one time I left my own Monsieur Dracula lonely for more than 2 weeks at a stretch and I didn't have a problem.
snkjr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 23:30   #2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Well, I had kept my santro idle for 2 weeks and it re started with first self. Now I am going for leave for 2 weeks and am bit jittery about how Duster behaves.
I had to go away for a month to canada leaving my 3 month old duster in the parking lot ( sigh ..left with no choice)and it started instantly without any issues
Sharkpin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:49   #2030
BHPian

I have a doubt regarding the AC vent for rear passenger. Does it provide adequate cooling for the rear passengers. Is that only one vent enough?
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:37   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Got my White Duster RxL 85 with Option yesterday.
Got the front & rear skid plates installed (6k) , mats, flaps,vehicle
Hi, are you sure that you paid just 6k for the rear and front skid plates ? I was badly looking for that. When i checked here in Renault Whitefield , Bangalore they quoted me 16k.

Please revert, if you paid only just 6k, kindly let me know the source.
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:30   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujay bhandare View Post
I have a doubt regarding the AC vent for rear passenger. Does it provide adequate cooling for the rear passengers. Is that only one vent enough?
Rear AC in Duster is a dedicated unit for rear portion, it is not sharing anything with the main AC. So, it should be sufficient for back seats. Infact, many users say that main AC itself a decent one which cools whole vehicle adequately.
Old 2nd February 2013, 18:57   #2033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmani View Post

Rear AC in Duster is a dedicated unit for rear portion, it is not sharing anything with the main AC. So, it should be sufficient for back seats. Infact, many users say that main AC itself a decent one which cools whole vehicle adequately.
Yeah, I totally agree with u, the AC is preety much fine. But by sitting 3 at d back do they have to quarrel over that single vent? Common its India man everyone wants that air vent facing them!
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:55   #2034
BHPian

Any one in Chennai went for the free check up by Renault? I know it is for all their cars. Was it worth a trip? Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 17:03   #2035
BHPian

Taken delivery of 85PS RXL (O) with good number of accessories as below:

Front Guard : Rs. 17500/-
Bumper Guard (Front & back) : Rs. 13,500/-
Rear Parking Camera & RVM : Rs. 7500/-
Chrome Garnishes : Rs. 3800/-
Sear Cover (Bucket) : Rs. 13500/-

Dealer (Divine Auto tech) gave a discount of 10% in the name of Corporate Discount. That's it. We are in seller's market, I suppose.

RAMESH

Renault Duster : Official Review-duster-1.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-duster-2.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2013 at 11:23. Reason: Adding your pictures the right way. PM coming up
srameshdelhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 17:45   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Any one in Chennai went for the free check up by Renault? I know it is for all their cars. Was it worth a trip? Thanks
Yes, last Friday, I took my vehicle for the free check-up camp organised by the Renault dealer in Chennai.

Well, they took the vehicle inside the workshop and brought it back after about 40 minutes. They handed over to me a data sheet with various parameters checked OK. Is the process computerised? I have no idea.

They also had a nice parting gift - a white ceramic coffee mug with the Renault logo and the slogan "Drive the change". Nice gesture, I thought!
Rada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 21:47   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post

Dealer (Divine Auto tech) gave a discount of 10% in the name of Corporate Discount. That's it. We are in seller's market, I suppose.

RAMESH
Sorry i am unable to see the photographs. Please upload some more photographs. I am very keen to see these accessories.
Thanks in advance.
Old 4th February 2013, 22:24   #2038
BHPian

Quote:

RAMESH
Hi Ramesh,

Is the 10% discount on accessories or on the vehicle? Is your model got Navigation or not?

Thank you.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:35   #2039
BHPian

Quote:

RAMESH
Congrats on your new ride.
The accessories you got on your Duster looks good, but u are totally ripped by dealer in accessories for e.g chrome garnishes are available for Rs 1500, which includes
1.Door handle chrome garnish.
2.Tail lamp
3.Fog lamp

The only genuine Renault accessory is front & rear skid plates & seat covers.
Front bumper guard is not genuine Renault accessory.
Prices of front & rear plates quoted to me was Rs 11,000.

Guys i am looking for this type of front guard for my Duster.
This one doesn't cover the fog lamps and looks like perfect fit.
I am also looking for Renault lookalike front bumper guard which has integrated fog lamps.
Dealers are selling those lookalikes as genuine accessory.
Any help will be appreciated.
Renault Duster : Official Review-dustertransilvaniaadventuretrophy1.jpg

Last edited by h.s.r : 5th February 2013 at 11:37.
Old 5th February 2013, 15:04   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webblescott View Post
Hi, are you sure that you paid just 6k for the rear and front skid plates ? I was badly looking for that. When i checked here in Renault Whitefield , Bangalore they quoted me 16k.

Please revert, if you paid only just 6k, kindly let me know the source.
Hi,

16k is for the entire package which includes the front/rear bull guard and the silver paint of the roofrail,sidestep.

I just got the skid plates from the South Delhi dealer for 6k. Its just fiber, but I liked the way it looks.

@h.s.r: I am very interested in the chrome garnishing. Can you pls PM me the details of the shop/dealer where it is available? Thanks !

Anyone has got hold of the original Front Bullbar accessory and the side plastic skirting.
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed