Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2013, 20:58   #2281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post

Duster has very high pickup and very high ground clearance, both of which combined takes a heavy toll the disc pads.
How does high ground clearance causes damage to brake pads?
Thanks, Prakash
Old 14th April 2013, 15:23   #2282
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse View Post
How does high ground clearance causes damage to brake pads?
Thanks, Prakash
Higher ground clearance does not cause damage to brake pads. It just reduces the life of brake pads quicker than vehicles with low gound clearance.In most cases, ground clearance is directly proportional to center of gravity. It means that, for the same speed and mass, momentum carried forward during braking for a Higher center of gravity SUV/crossover like Duster is greater than a sedan with low center of gravity. Hence the life of the brake pads is drastically reduced for the same mileage.
The other obvious inference is that SUVs/crossovers like Duster are heavier than sedans and hence brake pads will have to work harder for the same efficiency in braking.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 17:56   #2283
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Higher ground clearance does not cause damage to brake pads. It just reduces the life of brake pads quicker than vehicles with low gound clearance.In most cases, ground clearance is directly proportional to center of gravity. It means that, for the same speed and mass, momentum carried forward during braking for a Higher center of gravity SUV/crossover like Duster is greater than a sedan with low center of gravity. Hence the life of the brake pads is drastically reduced for the same mileage.
The other obvious inference is that SUVs/crossovers like Duster are heavier than sedans and hence brake pads will have to work harder for the same efficiency in braking.
Brake pads wear every time the brakes are applied. The larger and heavier the vehicle, and the more often it is driven in stop-and-go traffic, the faster the pads wear out. The wear also depends on the quality of Brake Pads.

However, I am quite sure the brake pad life has no connection to the Higher Ground Clearance.

The brake pads on my Corolla AT (with 170mm of GC) had to be replaced every 20K kms, while my workhorse Fusion (with 197 mm of GC) would carry on till 50K kms. My Endeavour (with 210mm of GC) with almost 25K kms on the clock is still running and braking well with its original set of brake pads.

Last edited by MAS : 14th April 2013 at 17:58.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 21:30   #2284

My 2 cents on why high GC could have an impact on brake pad wear.

High GC --> High centre of gravity

Simplistically speaking, forward torque driving the wheels could be considered as a product of a Force Vector parallel to the ground passing through centre of gravity and Radius (distance between centre of gravity and centre of wheels = R)

Torque = F x R

Now everytime we brake, the break pads must produce torque equal and opposite driving torque. Greater the R, greater the braking torque required and hence greater the wear.

Would be glad to hear any divergent opinions.
AG10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 12:36   #2285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG10 View Post
Torque = F x R
I knew there was a formula hidden somewhere. It goes to show that you should study physics properly in school(something which I never did). Very informative and very accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Thanks for the useful info Neil!
-Are you using 3M's High Power Brake Cleaner?
- After application, the instruction says -"flush away dissolved deposits with added applications." How is this done?
Just checked with the can that I bought. It is High Power Brake Cleaner by 3M. Strangely, the can shown on their website is white, but the can I bought was black. Flush away dissolved deposits with added applications means that you must respray on the surface to remove the residue.
Renault is in the process of upgrading it's vendor quality and also analysing component performance in real time. 20K for replacement of Duster brake pads is more of a precautionary measure adopted by Renault till they get proper market feedback.
Old 15th April 2013, 12:46   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post

So I have done 11K now and my second service is tomorrow. Just when I thought everything was going fine, Summer came in and boy do I have a problem? I dont know if my AC has gone kaput or it is exceptionally hot this summer or the lack of sun films is causing havoc but the end result is it is next to impossible to feel comfortable inside the car during afternoons. Even with AC running at 4th speed it doesnt get cold enough to be in the comfort zone. And I am guessing if this is the case in Bangalore with 35 degrees, what on god's green earth might be happening in cities like Chennai and Delhi?

Any other similar experiences?
Hello Suchit!

I am in Chennai and the past few weeks, temperature here has been touching the 35-37 degrees mark. I do not have sun film protection on my Duster and have been managing with the ac knob on either 3 or 4.

Then suddenly last week, the AC just packed up. One moment it was working fine and the next second, it had gone dead completely, with the compressor not switching on and only hot air coming through the vents.

Next day, I took the vehicle to the service centre in the morning, around 11 am. They could not find anything wrong with the compressor, fan etc. and finally traced the problem to a faulty coupling. The whole process took time and I got the vehicle back only by around 6 pm.

For your info, mine is a RxL (O) which has done about 8700 km so far.

As the mercury climbs further, I am also seriously contemplating the use of sun film, the consequences not withstanding!
Rada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 13:55   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
Hello Suchit!

Next day, I took the vehicle to the service centre in the morning, around 11 am. They could not find anything wrong with the compressor, fan etc. and finally traced the problem to a faulty coupling. The whole process took time and I got the vehicle back only by around 6 pm.

As the mercury climbs further, I am also seriously contemplating the use of sun film, the consequences not withstanding!
Thanks for sharing. The AC does seem to be a weak link for me, with water leakage issues, effectiveness and now such bigger issues. No wonder they chose that rear AC in RXZ model. I have started telling potential buyers to consider this in their checklist.

However, in the meantime I went in for the 2nd free service and they have cleaned up the AC/Air Filters well and the AC is now definitely much better. In other words I never have to use 4th anymore, 2nd works most of the time and 3rd is required in the initial car-cooling time or in peak afternoon hours.

I will post a detailed 10K experience later in my thread.

Happy Dusting!
Old 15th April 2013, 14:41   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
Hello Suchit!

I am in Chennai and the past few weeks, temperature here has been touching the 35-37 degrees mark. ...............As the mercury climbs further, I am also seriously contemplating the use of sun film, the consequences not withstanding!
Go for V-kool if you can afford it. Nobody even knows that it is there and the cooling has to be felt to be believed. The "cost" is exorbitant but so is the "effect". I have installed it in my Duster and it always brings a smile to my face when I see the hot sun If you ever run into my Duster in chennai, take a demo and you will be pleasantly surprised.
Else go for 3M. Pretty good VFM.
O.T I have always wondered the havoc that Chennai summers play on the plastic components, especially the dash board
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 14:56   #2289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
In other words I never have to use 4th anymore, 2nd works most of the time and 3rd is required in the initial car-cooling time or in peak afternoon hours.

Happy Dusting!
Which means you are not going to put any film? Mind sharing the rationale behind the decision (either way)
Old 15th April 2013, 15:02   #2290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Which means you are not going to put any film? Mind sharing the rationale behind the decision (either way)
Well, I am still hoping against hope that our beloved Supreme court will revert the decision (Especially after the ghastly acts continue even in vehicles with no glasses such as Auto Riks) and I will be able to put dark tints. Dark tints on Duster will look Awesome!!!! You have to see a paint job to believe how good it will look. And, Bangalore's summer is short lived I know. I can wait a little bit more. By next summer if nothing has happened I will go in for transparent tints.
suchit23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 10:24   #2291
BHPian

Together with Wife and daughter went to the Trident Renault showroom near to Palace grounds on Sunday. Went inside the showroom and my daughter was quiet excited with all the Red balloons in the showroom. The front office desk person was very generous to give her 3 balloons and she was super happy.

Me and wife started checking out Woodland brown duster that was parked in the showroom. Sat inside it got a feel of the vehicle. We had just been to the Toyota showroom and had been inside the Innova (No TD though - as the price point was simply not something we wanted to consider). I must say that Duster is NO comparison to Toyota's fit and finish. I also felt that the Doors did not have the typical European Thud sound and solid feel to them when operated.

Some other things that we noticed.
1. We felt the inside of the Duster was cramped, especially the rear. Probably because we are used to the Scorpio's cabin space.
2. The fit and finish is average and is comparable to Scorpio's.
3. The height adjust is tricky, it goes down automatically but cannot come up, we have to get out of the seat to bring it up !!!
4. The woodland brown color looks amazing on the Duster and the vehicle is very beautiful (owing to its French genes) - yes yes I know Duster is not French but Romanian (Dacia), Ok let us say some influence.

The Test Drive
I must give an A+ to the Sales guy for this. He arranged the test drive for the vehicle in under 5 minutes of me asking for it. When I say 5min, we were in the vehicle driving it within 5 min - I must say this was the least that I have waited for a TD.

We drove the 85 ps version of the Duster first. I came way impressed. The drive-ability in the city is simply superb (just like GTO said in the review). I drove the vehicle for a distance of 5 kms - 1-2 kms of smooth straight roads and remaining winding roads within residential areas. I must say that Duster displaces the pot holes with aplomb. Coming from a Scorpio, it felt like a dream. My daughter was also happy in the back, because in the Scorpio she keeps complaining and tells me "Papa don't do daga daga" - her version for not to toss her around.

Next it was the 110 ps version and this time we had the vehicle in 10 min as it had been take for another TD. We drove the vehicle and I immediately felt the turbo lag below 2000 RPM. I was kind of happy actually, because if I had felt that 110 ps was better, then I would have to do some convincing to do with my wife

So finally we decided to book the 85 ps (O) variant. The waiting period is 4-6 weeks. I am not in a hurry. Keep you all posted on the progress.
shabash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 12:19   #2292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
So finally we decided to book the 85 ps (O) variant. The waiting period is 4-6 weeks. I am not in a hurry. Keep you all posted on the progress.
Wow ! Looks like it has drastically come down from 4-6 months for this variant. If you do bulk of your driving in city and are OK driving sedately at 90-100 on the highway, then this trim is for you!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 13:31   #2293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Wow ! Looks like it has drastically come down from 4-6 months for this variant. If you do bulk of your driving in city and are OK driving sedately at 90-100 on the highway, then this trim is for you!
So do you think we cannot cruise in 120 with 4 people on board in a 85 ps?
Old 16th April 2013, 13:39   #2294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
So do you think we cannot cruise in 120 with 4 people on board in a 85 ps?
Why not ? Just that the noise levels increase beyond 100-110. Its much more quieter at around 100 and a sweeter operating point for the engine.
And also at higher speeds the 85 version strains a bit.

Last edited by ampere : 16th April 2013 at 13:40.
Old 16th April 2013, 13:41   #2295
BHPian

Quote:
Wow ! Looks like it has drastically come down from 4-6 months for this variant.
Yes it has. But the guys @TridentRenault are not very consistent. When I gave the booking cheque today, the sales consultant is saying that it will be 6 to 8 weeks . So I shot back at him and said why they are changing their own statements. So he has now promised to give the vehicle by end of May, I hope he does. So the wait is on.

Quote:
If you do bulk of your driving in city and are OK driving sedately at 90-100 on the highway, then this trim is for you!
Yes my major runabout will be city and also the weekend trips that includes a lot of Soft-road-ing. Duster with its 205 mm ground clearance (20 mm more than the Scorpio) will allow me to have lot of fun in my own terms . I am attaching some pictures from my weekend outings. That is my wife and daughter in the last picture.

For highways, 100-120 Kms is my speed range on the highway (that is what Scorpio can handle) and I would be fine if the Duster can manage that when I get it on the highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-wp_000744.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-wp_000730.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-wp_000225.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks