Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2013, 12:31   #2311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docster View Post
In the last few weeks I have had to travel frequently on the highways at night and the one thing that I've noticed is that the lights are grossly inadequate when driving at speeds over 80 kmph. Both the light intensity and throw are bad and at times I've had to either slow down or in some instances I've jumped over some speed breakers at high speeds. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any changes in the bulbs that can be done?

Doc
Try osram night breaker+ bulbs instead of the OEM ones. They are a direct replacement and come with same wattage as the OEM bulbs but give a much better throw and light.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 13:01   #2312
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
In the last few weeks I have had to travel frequently on the highways at night and the one thing that I've noticed is that the lights are grossly inadequate when driving at speeds over 80 kmph. Both the light intensity and throw are bad and at times I've had to either slow down or in some instances I've jumped over some speed breakers at high speeds. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any changes in the bulbs that can be done?

Doc
I have faced the same problem on highways on low beam. Throw was terrible. Intensity wise I found the high beam adequate which we cannot use all the time. When I went in for the 2nd FS, I asked them to adjust the height to improve the throw, have not ventured out on highways to test that yet.
Old 24th April 2013, 19:02   #2313
Team-BHP Support

Re: DC Design's teaser of a modified Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here's a few more pics:
I have a basic question and sorry for the ignorance. What about headlamps?
I only see the LEDs. Is that all ? I thought they are the DRLs.

Quote:

Doc
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
I have faced the same problem on highways on low beam. Throw was terrible. Intensity wise I found the high beam adequate which we cannot use all the time. When I went in for the 2nd FS, I asked them to adjust the height to improve the throw, have not ventured out on highways to test that yet.
I found them to be OK for my requirements. May be because I drive at sedate speeds. Could keep up with about 70-90 at nights with decent visibility.

Last edited by ampere : 24th April 2013 at 19:04.
Old 24th April 2013, 22:03   #2314

Sorry for being . I am in a peculiar problem and I needed help from my fellow BHPians. I got my duster delivered on 18th Feb and till date the dealer hasn't provided me with the registration no. On enquiring I came to know that they had delayed the payment to RTO and hence some penalty has to be paid to get my registration done. The point they are making is that, I had done the insurance myself one day in advance nd this has caused the confusion.

Now my question is Am I at fault in anyway. I spoke with the Renault area Manager(Manan Gohil) for Gujarat and he seems to be doing nothing other than saying that I will have to pay the RTO fine. My complaints to Renault customer care didn't yield any result other than giving me a complaint no. It seems the Renault dealers are in a mood to take the Indian customers for a ride. It is infact not the first incident with my dealer in Vododara, which I had to refer to Renault management. Earlier my dealer was refusing to deliver my vehicle if I do not do the insurance with them.. rediculus. It was only after I had contacted Renault that I was allowed to do the insurance myself. Of course the guy who helped me was someone else who is no longer looking after Gujarat. I am planning to take up the matter with the higher ups in Renault. Can someone PM me the email ids of Vivek Balasubramaniam Srivatsa, Ganesh Rasal, Ramesh Dharmu, Marc NASSIF. Or anything else you guys want to advice.
Old 25th April 2013, 15:00   #2315
BHPian

My second service was completed last week at Whitefield Renault, 2 of the four problems i mentioned were not fixed after letting the car be at the service center for 2 days and whats worse is that they have reset the HU fix for bluetooth and for some reason they are not able to reload it.
The problems i had were
AC direction Knob not working - Fixed
AC circulation not working - Not Fixed
Rattling - Not fixed
Black smoke on High throttle- Partially Fixed.
Looks like service is going to let down Renault.
Old 25th April 2013, 15:47   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phukan View Post
Sorry for being . I am in a peculiar problem and I needed help from my fellow BHPians. I got my duster delivered on 18th Feb and till date the dealer hasn't provided me with the registration no. On enquiring I came to know that they had delayed the payment to RTO and hence some penalty has to be paid to get my registration done. The point they are making is that, I had done the insurance myself one day in advance nd this has caused the confusion.
I had a problem of similar nature but during renewal. One of my friend told me that registartion of a new car has to be done the same day or the next day once insurance was taken failing which you will have to go for a temporary registration and so on (Sorry, I myself am not very clear). So, they could be right in pointing to the confusion if there was a long gap between you availing insurance and they registering it - not within the period. May be you did not share the insurance details immediatey with them?

How much is the RTO fine? I would suggest you to pay that and move on to enjoy your new car if the amount is not that much. Else, Renault has to come into picture.
Better to sort it out rather being unsafe running an un-registered car for 2 months! Is your insurance still valid without registration? I was told we have a time limit for that too i.e. Taking insurance - Registering the Car - Updating insurance co. with registration number to get your cover note within certain period.

Grace period to register is 50 days or 3 months? or does it vary from state to state? Should refer to our RTO sites now.
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 22:27   #2317
BHPian

Is it possible to get "grab handles" fixed on the Duster doors, is it done somewhere ? The present ones look a cheap after market fitment
Old 26th April 2013, 02:51   #2318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post

How much is the RTO fine? I would suggest you to pay that and move on to enjoy your new car if the amount is not that much. Else, Renault has to come into picture.
Better to sort it out rather being unsafe running an un-registered car for 2 months! Is your insurance still valid without registration? I was told we have a time limit for that too i.e. Taking insurance - Registering the Car - Updating insurance co. with registration number to get your cover note within certain period.

Grace period to register is 50 days or 3 months? or does it vary from state to state? Should refer to our RTO sites now.
With agree with this. Although I am not sure whether I understand your exact problem, however the late fee for vehicle registration is minimal.

I got my duster registered after around 1.5 months of delivery, the late fee fine was around 35 bucks, with the total cost of registration being 660 bucks or something. So if it is just delay in permanent registration, I would not bother following up because of the minimal cost involved.
Old 26th April 2013, 10:16   #2319

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
I had a problem of similar nature but during renewal.
=================================
Insurance was done a day ahead of delivery and it was submitted to the dealer on the day of delivery as per the norms (otherwise they cannot deliver me the car at first place). I am not sure what the amount is, but the guy dealing with the RTO was saying somethings around 8000 bucks but my SE was saying different numbers each time we spoke. The point is why should I pay the fine even 5 rupee if I am not at fault. And now insurance is a separate issue, I was supposed to update the details of my registration within 15 days and that's why I was pressing hard with the dealer for getting my vehicle passed at the RTO. I came to know later that they haven't even submitted the money at RTO till 28 th (10 days later)...That is how the "fine" thing came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
With agree with this. Although I am not sure whether I understand your exact problem, however the late fee for vehicle registration is minimal.
===============
So if it is just delay in permanent registration, I would not bother following up because of the minimal cost involved.
( update: the guys from Renault did come to my rescue once again and problems seems to be getting a solution now.
Old 27th April 2013, 09:32   #2320
BHPian

I have 3-4 quick Questions on the Duster:
(1) I do a bit of 2-3 road trips in a year that might involve small bit of off roading. I did some research on tyres (Michelin / JK Tyres / Bridgestone) and got options such as Michelin Tour and Bridgestone 684 and 689. The BS 684 and 689 are OEM fitments on Honda CRVs / Safari / Tucson / Forrester / X-trails, so would the 689 (the popular one among SUVs/MUVs) be able to overcome the limitations of the Wanderer ?
(2) I want to get grab-handles installed on the door, are there accessory dealers who can help with that, or do I simply get them to paint the handles with good chrome finish ?
(3) For the off roading bit, I have been managing Sangla / Ladakh with a 4x2 Safari till date, given the equiv Ground clearance, shall the Duster manage these with equal ease ?
(4) Does the Duster offer enough under-thigh support to the front passengers, as I have to do a 70 km up-down drive on my office trips daily, and would prefer comfortable sitting ?
(5) How large are the pedals (the clutch, accelerator, brakes), appeared a bit tad small ? And what about the brake pad replacement at 20,000 kms. Dont recall at which distance my Safari got replaced ?
(6) What's the expereince with Renault's ASC, are they decent - in terms of 'nos.' and 'service' ?
(7) If I get bullguards in front and rear, does that impact performance and mileage ?
(8) How good is the A/C, does that flip in extreme heat ?
Thanks,

BC
Old 27th April 2013, 12:36   #2321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplav View Post
I have 3-4 quick Questions on the Duster:

BC
You actually have 8 questions

I know it is tough, but take out some time and search for these Q's on this thread. There's whole lot of discussion on each of these.
Old 29th April 2013, 16:26   #2322
BHPian

How many of the Duster owners have changed their front brake pads?

My car is clocking 14k plus and I have to change pads before my next trip.
Currently a little less than 5mm thick pads, the brakes are functioning like a charm,
spot on every time.

Called the service station, they quoted around 4.5k
which involves replacing the pads, skimming and some obvious bleeding.
Any insights are welcomed.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 29th April 2013 at 16:43.
Old 30th April 2013, 23:27   #2323
BHPian

Got my 10k service done today. Nothing out of the ordinary. Replying from my phone so for now I'll only point out that I was told that Renault has recommended **against** wheel rotation.

This is the first time I have heard anyone recommending against tire rotation.

Would anyone here know why?
Old 1st May 2013, 00:44   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Called the service station, they quoted around 4.5k
which involves replacing the pads, skimming and some obvious bleeding.
Any insights are welcomed.

My knowledge level is low on this topic. I thought disc skimming is done very rarely. Do you really think your discs have warped?
OR is this common practice as part of brake maintenance?

How much will just replacing the pads cost? If that alone costs 4.5K, I feel like that's a lot. Please correct me if my perception is way off.

Last edited by sumeshmani : 1st May 2013 at 00:45.
Old 1st May 2013, 01:13   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post

My knowledge level is low on this topic. I thought disc skimming is done very rarely. Do you really think your discs have warped?
OR is this common practice as part of brake maintenance?

How much will just replacing the pads cost? If that alone costs 4.5K, I feel like that's a lot. Please correct me if my perception is way off.
You are right, Skimming is only done, when your disc is warped. 14k is too early for a pad change, though it mainly depends on your driving style.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks