Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 08:58   #2326
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
My knowledge level is low on this topic. I thought disc skimming is done very rarely. Do you really think your discs have warped?
OR is this common practice as part of brake maintenance?

How much will just replacing the pads cost? If that alone costs 4.5K, I feel like that's a lot. Please correct me if my perception is way off.
Infact I too am experiencing this the first time.
Never had the requirement to change pads before 40K in my driving experience.
4.5K includes pad change, skimming and break oil top up due to bleeding.

They mentioned skimming is a part of break maintenance though I will try to avoid this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
You are right, Skimming is only done, when your disc is warped. 14k is too early for a pad change, though it mainly depends on your driving style.
My discs are not warped, I deliberately felt them to be sure. Lets see, will update after I go through the entire process

Last edited by himadrimondal : 1st May 2013 at 08:59.
Old 3rd May 2013, 05:29   #2327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phukan View Post
I came to know later that they haven't even submitted the money at RTO till 28 th (10 days later)...That is how the "fine" thing came.

( update: the guys from Renault did come to my rescue once again and problems seems to be getting a solution now.
Good to know intervention from Renault is working. I think it was just an arrogant dealer trying to punish you for getting insurance done from outside, and trying to make up for lost commission by charging you an "RTO penalty". Good the you didn't put up with his nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post

Infact I too am experiencing this the first time.
Never had the requirement to change pads before 40K in my driving experience.
4.5K includes pad change, skimming and break oil top up due to bleeding.

They mentioned skimming is a part of break maintenance though I will try to avoid this.
What I don't understand is why skimming if they're going to replace the pads?
Or are they going to skim the brand new pads? Are the OEM pads so bad that they need to be adjusted before installation?
Old 3rd May 2013, 23:58   #2328
BHPian

Hi All,
I had inquired the cost of painting the black door handles to the body color (woodland brown) at Trident Reanult.
They quoted 3k. I feel this is too much. Can anyone share their experience on this topic.
Please do suggest other places/workshops where I can get a good job done at the right cost.
I only want to get the door handles painted.
Old 4th May 2013, 11:55   #2329
BHPian

^^ That's the price that was quoted here in Delhi as well.
Cheaper option is to get a chrome package- 1200/- for handles, fog lamps, rear lamps.
Old 4th May 2013, 18:09   #2330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post

Currently with A/c in Delhi city bumper to bumper traffic I get 16 km per litre. Though on a high way trip to Pant nagar I got 22 km per litre.
This is awesome FE for such a large car. Is 22 with AC? Are other 85 PS Duster owners getting similar FE?
Old 4th May 2013, 18:54   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan

This is awesome FE for such a large car. Is 22 with AC? Are other 85 PS Duster owners getting similar FE?
Yes. It is indeed a good average. I have crossed now 4000 km in my odo. The average in Delhi City traffic has gone up to 17.5 kmpl. All data are with A/c on all the time. In Delhi the temperature is 41 degrees. No chance of putting the a/c off even for a minute.

Ramesh
srameshdelhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 14:54   #2332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Hi All,
I had inquired the cost of painting the black door handles to the body color (woodland brown) at Trident Reanult.
They quoted 3k. I feel this is too much. Can anyone share their experience on this topic.
Go for Galio chrome kit for Duster as BUXX suggested.
It looks better than black or painted door handles.
U also get chrome surroundings for fog & tail lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
That's true i also got 22 KMPL on highways & approx 18 KMPL in city.
Lot of people think i am exaggerating when i tell them i get 22 KMPL on highways.
Spotted this Duster with good looking Alloys.
Looks better in person.
Renault Duster : Official Review-01052013441_1.jpg
h.s.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 16:07   #2333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
What I don't understand is why skimming if they're going to replace the pads?
Or are they going to skim the brand new pads? Are the OEM pads so bad that they need to be adjusted before installation?
Brake pads are never skimmed. its the discs that are skimmed in case of an uneven surface due to various reasons. Hence skimming is done to prevent the discs from wearing out the brake pads faster/in an uneven manner and also to ensure consistent braking.
Old 5th May 2013, 18:27   #2334
BHPian

As mentioned above, replaced my brake pads with 14,393 km on my oddo.
The new brakes are working perfectly on the skimmed discs.

Further requested them to change my engine oil from the prescribed mineral to synthetic oil.
The service executive was initially hesitant but when I mentioned the Fluence with the same engine using 5W40 (Elf synthetic), he smiled.

More over changing to synthetic was a deliberate process even though my scheduled oil change was at 20,000km.
GTO's thread on Synthetic oil cemented my decision.

The diesel filter was too changed as they initiated the third service procedures.

I have attached a section of my bill for references on the charges incurred.
Renault Duster : Official Review-duster-third-service.jpg

Good news for Renault users, please save this help line number: 180030044444.
Anywhere in India your car goes dead, help is just one hour away.
A special tow van ( the entire car would be placed on the rear platform of the tow truck and not lifted/pulled by chains)
should arrive within an hour's time, lift your car to the nearest Renault service station free of cost.

If you are stuck at a remote corner, (I found this amusing too) you can be air lifted, that's what the service people mentioned.
Did I dust off your worries of buying Renault?
himadrimondal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 21:38   #2335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
As mentioned above, replaced my brake pads with 14,393 km on my oddo.
The new brakes are working perfectly on the skimmed discs.
I am at almost 13K. Brakes seem perfect for the moment. I still dont see any reason for a change. Lets see how much more to before needing a change.

But as you said, SA himself advices for a change at 20K.
Old 5th May 2013, 22:18   #2336
BHPian

Those are awesome economy some are getting. I get about 11-12 in bumper to bumper Chennai traffic.
Should I be worried? This is 110ps version
Old 5th May 2013, 22:43   #2337
AWD
BHPian

Which Duster is giving more Fuel Average, 85 or 110PS ?

In the wake of Eco-Sport launch, Renault has brought down the waiting periods for Duster delivery.
Old 5th May 2013, 22:51   #2338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Which Duster is giving more Fuel Average, 85 or 110PS ?

In the wake of Eco-Sport launch, Renault has brought down the waiting periods for Duster delivery.
For F.E and drivability in city, the winner is 85 ps hands down any day over 110ps.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 23:25   #2339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
It is actually not a big car. For its size it is quite light. It just looks big with flared wheel arches and roof rails. The only thing which effects the FE are the 16 inch wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Which Duster is giving more Fuel Average, 85 or 110PS
As per ARAI, both the guys have very similar FE. But users are reporting quite varied data. 110 owners seem to be quote much lower numbers to what ARAI numbers are. 85 FE is mostly around 17-20, much closer to ARAI. Bumper to Bumper city FE mostly remains just about 16 with AC.

Quote:
This is bound to happen. And more importantly Renault needs to bring down waiting periods for the 85 bhp version.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 13:53   #2340
BHPian

I had a TD of Duster RXL 85(O) last week. Was impressed with in city driving enough to forget and forgive minor ergonomic quirks. Unfortunately aircon in demo car was not working so opted for a second TD on bad patches this Sunday.

While on a second TD ride and handling were impressive and I almost booked the vehicle. When going into the details about features Renault dropped a shocker. The most glaring omission is THERE IS NO INTERMITTENT OPTION FOR WIPER. Another shocker is NO TINTED GLASS. I cannot imagine the amount Renault saved by not giving intermittent option. And how does one cope with long North Indian summers without tinted glass.

I just dropped the idea of owning a duster. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks