Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 09:29   #2416
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
ACM

Is it advisable to press into service, a tyre that's been kept idle in the boot for a period of 4-5 years? Even if the wear is minimal-to-none? I'm not entirely sure if it's safe.
What I tend to do is buy all 4 new tyres if this is post 3 years but in my case I do 50,000 + kms in 2 years.

Also this helped me out a fair bit during times when just one tyre went bad and then I bought just one new one. Later I would replace 2 tyres at a time. (Did that on the Safari many times.)

If the running will imply 4-5 years before a change. Then would still suggest only tyre rotation but buy 4 new tyres each time and keep the one in the Stepney more or less for emergencies - Like I have done in my Laura.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 09:38   #2417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Is it advisable to press into service, a tyre that's been kept idle in the boot for a period of 4-5 years? Even if the wear is minimal-to-none?
Suhas, let me answer your question with a question:

Would you buy a tyre that is sitting in the show room for 4-5 years ?

The reasons are similar. The material has aged. Possibly become more brittle than if it was in use.

Rubber degrades with time. Hence I will say, not advisable.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 12:08   #2418

The fuel gauge in my vehicle seems to have gone for a toss - The low fuel warning sign is just not disappearing even after filling in 20 litres of fuel. Infact topped up fuel at another petrol pump thinking that there might have been a problem with the fuel dispenser at the first one !!

The gauge continues to show nil fuel. Any clues what could be wrong ?
Old 18th May 2013, 13:01   #2419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG10 View Post
The fuel gauge in my vehicle seems to have gone for a toss - The low fuel warning sign is just not disappearing even after filling in 20 litres of fuel. Infact topped up fuel at another petrol pump thinking that there might have been a problem with the fuel dispenser at the first one !!

The gauge continues to show nil fuel. Any clues what could be wrong ?
Try resetting your MID and ODO reading prior to filling up your tank. If it is an electronic glitch that should take care of it.
Old 18th May 2013, 13:03   #2420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Try resetting your MID and ODO reading prior to filling up your tank. If it is an electronic glitch that should take care of it.
Thanks ! Tried doing that didnt help, I think its a mechanical glitch.
Old 18th May 2013, 15:52   #2421
BHPian

Any experience based views on using 3M Diesel engine fuel tank additive? After how many kilometres or on what conditions
one should consider using this? When I took my Duster 110 RxZ for first service, I asked. Then they did not give any answer
but said if I fill at good places, there is no issue! Would appreciate any helpful guidelines/comments. Cheers
Old 18th May 2013, 17:09   #2422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG10
The fuel gauge in my vehicle seems to have gone for a toss - The low fuel warning sign is just not disappearing even after filling in 20 litres of fuel.
Not to worry. There is no fault from any side. I faced it myself the first day I got the car.
Solution: just switch off the car and turn key to initial position while refuelling.
Switch on the car and you will see the meter showing as filled.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 19:14   #2423
Senior - BHPian

Took a test drive of the Duster 110 RXZ :

2) No Nonsense looks

Dislikes:
1) Interiors below par for a car that costs Rs 13.75 lakhs in Delhi ( On road)
2) Rear Leg room. With the AC vent taking up a lot of space it is 4 seater.
3) lack of climate control.
4) Annoying Turbo Lag

The Duster 85 is better value than 110 but even the RXL which costs Rs 11.15 lakhs ( on road delhi) lacks certain basic features like height adjust for the driver. I am 5.6 ft and this is clearly something which is a deal braker for me.

On the whole I believe that Renault is making hay when the sun is shining by pricing it a tad too high. This is a Dacia based on the Logan platform . I find the pricing to be on the higher side by approx Rs 1.2- 1.5 lakh. At these kind of prices, it simply does not cust the mustard for me.

Waiting for Ford India to launch the Eco Sport.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 08:31   #2424
BHPian

The Duster arrives. Yesterday I took delivery of my Duster 85 PS RxL dci (O). The delivery process was smooth, took me about 1 hours to go through the paper work and the checkout the things as per TBhp PDI checklist.

Together with my wife, daughter and assistant, I reached the dealership @ around 11:45 AM. The guys at the dealership were already prepared for us. Of course I had already been in the showroom once during the 2nd half of the week to checkout accessories. The documentation work was already done and the staff at the showroom explained all the things clearly.

Once the paper work was out of the way, they brought the vehicle. The number plates were not fixed yet. I had also asked for the steel muffler tip to be fixed as an accessory, which was also not done. Felt a bit skeptical about the accessories team on their commitment. I had already informed them on wednesday itself about the same and still they had not done it.

I proceeded to go through the TBhp PDI checklist and the Sales Rep also started explaining the features of the car. Things went smooth until I started trying to pair my Nokia Lumia 820 phone with the audio device. The ICE simply refused to recognize the phone . The Rep said that it is an issue with Nokia Phones. Next I again tried it with my wife's Nokia C5 and voila it was recognized. So there seems to be some integration issue with Windows Phone OS BT implementation (Thanks once again Microsoft for doing this to me - IT Techies will surely understand what I mean here).

The number plates were fixed. I took some pictures with the customary new car ribbon on and then asked the rep to remove the ribbon and also the plastic covers in the seat. I never understood why people want to keep them on for a week or so. I get extremely un confortable with them on. All this done we were ready to leave. Overall the experience was a pleasant one. We handed over the gifts to the Sales Reps and I drove out of the showroom. Just outside the showroom, they asked us to stop as they had the muffler steel tip available and wanted to fix it. I obliged and the job was done in 5 min.

Now a new chapter begins in my motoring life. Will keep posting the updates. Couple of pictures of us with the Duster below.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-tbhp01.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-tbhp02.jpg  

Last edited by shabash : 19th May 2013 at 08:33. Reason: Typo corrected
shabash is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 11:55   #2425
BHPian

Today I spoke to my sales-rep at Renault. He told the reason they charge a premium on insurance is to provide following benefits:
1. Free pickup and drop from accident spot
2. Cashless and instant action (no waiting for approval from insurance co.)
3. Overall a quicker delivery

The premium in Duster's case is close to 10K. Dear members, I need help here:
1. Is this service provided by the dealer or Renault?
2. If its the dealer, the point-1 is almost useless, accidents can happen outside this city too.
3. Is the benefit really worth 10K?
4. What will happen at the end of one year, when I renew the insurance. They can easily refuse such service post that.

So the big question, should I take their deal or take insurance from outside?
Old 21st May 2013, 13:25   #2426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Today I spoke to my sales-rep at Renault. He told the reason they charge a premium on insurance is to provide following benefits:
1. Free pickup and drop from accident spot
2. Cashless and instant action (no waiting for approval from insurance co.)
3. Overall a quicker delivery

The premium in Duster's case is close to 10K. Dear members, I need help here:
1. Is this service provided by the dealer or Renault?
2. If its the dealer, the point-1 is almost useless, accidents can happen outside this city too.
3. Is the benefit really worth 10K?
4. What will happen at the end of one year, when I renew the insurance. They can easily refuse such service post that.

So the big question, should I take their deal or take insurance from outside?
No based on personal experience, the premium on insurance policy taken through a dealer
is not any value add. The first year premium sets base for higher premiums for subsequent years
also. Big insurance companies like Bajaj Allianz, ICICI Lombard provide cashless facility in
number of garages in various cities for almost all vehicles. I chose ICICI Lombard online
and saved Rs 13k. Yes I took quotes from 3 other companies as well.

Cheers
Old 21st May 2013, 14:03   #2427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravee_nk View Post
I chose ICICI Lombard online
and saved Rs 13k. Yes I took quotes from 3 other companies as well.

Cheers
Hi Ravee,
Thanks for your input. I am interested in ICICI Lombard too. An online quote given to me by ICICI was:
- 20K Comprehensive coverage
- 31K for Zero-Dep

Could you please share details like type and cost (without discounts) of your auto policy. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st May 2013, 15:46   #2428
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ravee,
Thanks for your input. I am interested in ICICI Lombard too. An online quote given to me by ICICI was:
- 20K Comprehensive coverage
- 31K for Zero-Dep

Could you please share details like type and cost (without discounts) of your auto policy. Thanks in advance.
My IDV is approx Rs 11 lakhs. I took a comprehensive cover. I availed discounts for central locking system,
and membership of AASI. The premium was approx Rs24k. Yes I took a PA Cover for the min amount and it
includes for paid driver as well. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 21st May 2013, 17:02   #2429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravee_nk View Post
My IDV is approx Rs 11 lakhs. I took a comprehensive cover. I availed discounts for central locking system,
and membership of AASI. The premium was approx Rs24k. Yes I took a PA Cover for the min amount and it
includes for paid driver as well. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Sorry, left out one point earlier. Does ICICI Lombard provide cash-less service at Renault Whitefield workshop?
Old 21st May 2013, 17:06   #2430
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, left out one point earlier. Does ICICI Lombard provide cash-less service at Renault Whitefield workshop?
You can check in their web site; it says for Trident Renault which I guess is the same as Whitefield Renault though the address is city address. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks