Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2013, 11:57   #2476
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Are there good 3D mat options available in the market? Checked online and came across an outfit called Star Mats - any reviews of their quality?
Congrats on your new ride.

I have the mats on my Fiat, they are not as tight fitting as I expected, but quite useful. You mention some rough use in the hills, please have a look at other options before you decide to get this. Some carpet cleaning,(vacuuming) is required even though it is 3D.
Old 5th June 2013, 13:24   #2477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
I know I'm going to be very pissed when this correction happens (though I think it will happen more because of the Nissan variant rather than Ecosport pressure) but I think given that this is at least 6-12 months away (both the Nissan launch and full availability of the Ecosport) , there is no other option in the market for a person
I hear you. And you know what, i'm scared to get on to the Duster band wagon not only for the price but also for what Nissan could bring to the table!

I'm desperate for a new diesel and am willing to spend upto 12 lacs. But i'm so so confused on actually betting on anything. I don't cycle my cars in less than 5-7yrs so need space, features, mileage, looks, peace of mind and every other good thing you can throw in for my money!

Car launches are now becoming similar to smartphone launches. No one knows who's buying but everyone brings in their take on it left-right-center making you feel obsolete with what you have!

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 5th June 2013 at 13:25.
Old 5th June 2013, 17:02   #2478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I hear you. And you know what, i'm scared to get on to the Duster band wagon not only for the price but also for what Nissan could bring to the table!
The latter part is not what I'd be so scared about. Compare any of the Nissan/Renault co-branded cars, and I'd think you'd find the Renault version to be slightly more premium (looking, if not anything more)

Quote:
I'm desperate for a new diesel and am willing to spend upto 12 lacs. But i'm so so confused on actually betting on anything. I don't cycle my cars in less than 5-7yrs so need space, features, mileage, looks, peace of mind and every other good thing you can throw in for my money!
I was in the same position for 5-6 months till I got sick of it. I know that I've easily paid a 100,000 premium for the Duster but I was just so so tired of waiting for any alternative (and trust me there is none!). My wife by the end was completely sick of me. First it was waiting for the Ecosport, then once that came and went, it was waiting for news of the 4WD Duster. She put her foot down and said, "I need a car NOW!" (this is mainly going to be her drive. I drive a 800 )

Quote:
Car launches are now becoming similar to smartphone launches. No one knows who's buying but everyone brings in their take on it left-right-center making you feel obsolete with what you have!
Very true. No point waiting for the Nexus 5 (or 6 or 7). Bite the bullet, I say! At least unlike a mobile phone, I have a feeling that the Duster will stay relevant for easily 5-7 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
In November last year when we took delivery of our 110 RXZ (O) in Jaipur it came for 13.05L On-road under price protection for a booking done in August. At that time the difference in prices between Delhi and Jaipur must have been to the tune of 25-35 thousand.

That means a price increase of
14.36L
- 13.05L
1.31L
+ 0.30L
1.61L

in less than a year! Lets see for how long do the cash registers at Renault are kept busy!!
I'm sorry but didn't understand why you added back 30,000 to 1.31L? Is that the difference in Jaipur price over Delhi price? So by this calculation, I paid 1.3L over the Aug 2012 price? Hmmm, I think thats about right. The difference from Aug 2012 and now, in terms of features is:
  • MediaNav system
  • Some type of leather seats
  • Wood trim? Not sure about this
The MediaNav system standalone (at the inflated OEM price) is 54K (I asked, because I wanted to check if just getting RxZ made sense). So I'd say the price premium has gone up by 90-100K (and not more) in this near-one year

Last edited by GTO : 6th June 2013 at 12:04. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 6th June 2013, 09:33   #2479
BHPian

Guys, I had an issue with boot cover rartling , rear suspension creaking and poor breaking in my brand new duster.
Guess what, the problem went away once I reduced tyre air pressure from 40 to 29. While taking delivery I had given the showroom guys instructions to do the same. They did nt apparently.

Now I feel good owning the duster. There are some designs that are relevant for ages, like aviator glasses , denims etc. The duster bonnet design belongs to this class. Simple no nonsense design and good performance, will make sure it stays relevant. Dacia is an old model, but it is still selling in eu and sourh America.
Old 6th June 2013, 11:28   #2480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
Guys, does the audio control behind the steering control wheel has next track or previous track buttons ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It works like a charm. I have only used it with an Apple device though. But I think it works well with any USB device too.

Ampere, refer below pic from Official Review. Which button in the audio control can be used for changing track ? (btw I have tried iPod too)

Last edited by austere_sly : 6th June 2013 at 11:30. Reason: Ampere post didn't came in quote.
Old 6th June 2013, 11:49   #2481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
Ampere, refer below pic from Official Review. Which button in the audio control can be used for changing track ? (btw I have tried iPod too)
None of these !

Behind the Audio control stalk, there is a scroll wheel too ! That is the one which changes the tracks.
You can also scroll through the one you want and then say OK. It would select that track.
Old 6th June 2013, 17:46   #2482
BHPian

On world's environment day (5th June, yesterday), Chennai Khivraj conducted free check-up for all Renault vehicles at Mahindra World City. They had checked doors, battery (some kind of paint they sprayed at contacts), free emission test (less than one year old car, it was not needed for mine, still they performed). Finally, they had cleaned my Duster, hummm it needs every day cleaning, duster attracts so much dust!!!

Additionally, they had given couple of gifts (Renault Pen, coffee mug with Renault logo), sweets and most importantly the had given a "plant". My daughters were more existed to see a plant in my duster!!!

Thank you Khivraj Renault.
Old 7th June 2013, 10:07   #2483
Distinguished - BHPian

Courtesy: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/345...s-terrano.aspx

Quote:
Nissan is all set to introduce its cross-badged version of the Renault Duster and it will be called the Terrano. Just like it had done with the Sunny name, Nissan has resurrected the Terrano moniker, which it had given to an earlier-generation mid-size SUV launched way back in 1993 and discontinued in 2006. The big surprise here though, is that the Terrano will be priced approximately Rs 50,000-75,000 more than the Duster, which is contrary to the current trend where Nissan’s are priced lower than their equivalent Renault models.
This has to do with an agreement in the Renault-Nissan Alliance. When Renault badge engineers a Nissan car, the Renault version has to be priced higher than its Nissan donor and vice versa. Take the example of the Sunny; it’s cheaper than its badge-engineered compatriot, the Scala. So, in the case, since Nissan will be the one borrowing the Duster, the Terrano will be priced higher.
Unlike the badge-engineered Scala and Pulse, which are the Sunny and the Micra with a few plastic add-ons, the Terrano will come with more significant exterior changes. The Nissan SUV will see changes to the sheet metal as well to bring the car in line with other Nissan SUVs. Going by our artist’s impressions, it could look somewhere along the lines of the X-trail. The car will come with a new bumper, tailgate, headlamps and tail-lights. The interiors however will be identical to save costs; the only difference will be the Nissan logo sitting on the steering wheel.
The badge-engineered Terrano will be launched by the end of this year.
Renault Duster : Official Review-0_468_700_http___i_haymarket_net_au_extraimages_20130607122304_nissan_duster_final.jpg

As per this report in the link, Nissan's badge engineered Duster will cost a little more than the Renault duster

Personally I somehow don't get this "badge engineered cars" concept...Although I own an Abarth Punto

Mods: Please delete this post if its against any
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 13:45   #2484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

As per this report in the link, Nissan's badge engineered Duster will cost a little more than the Renault duster

Personally I somehow don't get this "badge engineered cars" concept...Although I own an Abarth Punto
If Nissan is going to release Duster with a higher price tag, why should one go to them rather than booking with Renault (Unless there is some thing very good with the interiors - which I hope is not going to be the case)? This news is going to make the guys awaiting the release of 'Nissan make' and expecting a better price, to go ahead and book a Duster with Renault I suppose.
Old 7th June 2013, 15:46   #2485
BHPian

The cross badging will help for those who like the name due to past good experiece with that brand elsewhere in the world or with some other car from that brand. It is similar to what we do with our friendly shopkeeper - get this product for me - I will pay little extra also: This happens due to the personal confidence level on the brand.

But Nissan's Duster does not have the advantage of Renault - The no competition scenario. But if it can add 1 thousand or more in numbers to the group, then why not?
Old 7th June 2013, 17:23   #2486

Clarity on Service Milestones

Hi all - My first post on Team BHP starts with a query.

On this forum, I read posts where Duster Owners are sharing their experience while getting their vehicles serviced @ 5000 KMs.

On the contrary, when I got my car serviced @ 2000 KMs, I was told to come again when the Odometer reads 10000 KMs. To check the authenticity of the service center manager's advise, I called up the toll free Renualt Customer Care. The executive on the phone authenticated service center's advise & shared that the first 3 services are scehduled for (i) 2k (ii) 10k & (iii) 20k.

Can someone who got the vehicle serviced @ 5k help by addressing my confusion?

Note: Own an 85 RXL Option with Nav

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th June 2013, 20:07   #2487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabant View Post
Hi all - My first post on Team BHP starts with a query.

On this forum, I read posts where Duster Owners are sharing their experience while getting their vehicles serviced @ 5000 KMs.

On the contrary, when I got my car serviced @ 2000 KMs, I was told to come again when the Odometer reads 10000 KMs. To check the authenticity of the service center manager's advise, I called up the toll free Renualt Customer Care. The executive on the phone authenticated service center's advise & shared that the first 3 services are scehduled for (i) 2k (ii) 10k & (iii) 20k.

Can someone who got the vehicle serviced @ 5k help by addressing my confusion?

Note: Own an 85 RXL Option with Nav

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you got it right. It is 2, 10 and 20 K. In between you have the choice of driving in to have it checked on anything
specific. I did get mine done for a couple of issues after 2k free service. The place I take my vehicle to was quite helpful.

Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 14:35   #2488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sharp edge of this console poked my right leg a bit too much while driving. The clutch, brake and accelerator pedals are awkwardly positioned, and are also too close to one another. There's no dead pedal...placing my left foot in the available space (to the left of the clutch) was tricky with large shoes
I completely agree with this part of the review. I am 6' 2" tall and the position of pedals without a dead pedal keeps my left foot hanging and it does not give me a comfortable seating position. I am very disappointed with this as otherwise, Duster meets my requirements.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 8th June 2013 at 14:36.
Old 10th June 2013, 11:59   #2489
BHPian

For those interested, I have posted a link to download the Duster Service Manual here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ce-manual.html
bdman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 19:19   #2490
BHPian

I drove my father's Duster 85 RXL when I visited home. The only letdown is that the clutch and brake pedal have too much travel.

The first time I started it, I thought maybe the gear wasn't engaged correctly. One has to release the clutch pedal more than half way through to get the Duster moving. Similarly while braking nothing happens until brake pedal is pushed beyond the half way mark. None of these are deal breakers. But they do take away from a smooth driving experience.

Surprise finding for me was when I was taking the Duster through a very rough long patch where the so called road was covered completely with stones. After slotting into second gear I did not even have to press the accelerator. The Duster was ambling along sedately as if on automatic ! Must be the diesel engine?

Overall impression: Ossum !

Most Viewed