Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2013, 20:14   #2491
BHPian

Just back from a 2000 km journey over 8 days on my 110. Hyderabad to coorg and back. Absolutely lovely drive and the awesome weather helped. Car handles perfectly. Lot of paces where there was no road, but faced no issues. Handled farm stretches and jungle roads beautifully. Although I was not offloading, there were areas where having a vehicle with high GC and large tyres helps immensely and takes care of any worries you might have.

Pros after the drive
- 110 is meant for highway driving. Not to say that it is not city capable, but long drives is where it shines
- except for a fortuner and an Audi Q8, there was no vehicle which could overtake me through highway drive ( primarily hyd-blr and bavck). You press the throttle even on the 6th and it pulls beautifully from 100.
- very stable and confident at 100+ kmph. I do not drive very fast but a couple of times when I tried, it was pretty stable.
- high speed stability even at banked curves is pretty neat. Steering feels good without the need of reducing speeds ( talking about 100 kmph on long curves)
- driving at 90 gives the optimal mileage - 17 kmpl+, with both ACs on most time.
- with both the ACs on, the cabin can be chilled pretty effectively during hot summer runs. Wife and daughter were turning the fan off every now and then.
- high speed braking -at around 100 kmph, a buffalo jumped onto the highway from nowhere. Braked hard and slowed down to crawl speed without a fuss. Straight line, no screech, no wobble
- it is a driver's car. Drove on hill areas, and it was good fun driving it. I would have liked to shift gears a little less often, but I guess that was me getting used to the car.
- awesome road presence. Saw many dusters coming from the opposite way and admired each one as it approached and whizzed by.

Cons
- wind noise post 100kmph bothered me. Although I had music on, I would have liked the cabin to have lesser wind noise
- need a dead pedal. I am comfortable driving with left foot on floor, but on the long drive, I think having one would have helped. I managed by using the slight slope next to the clutch, but people with big shoes/ feet might not be able to do so.
- need cruise control
- want DRLs, as was running with headlights on for highway safety
- seats were comfortable, but are not snug.

I am sure I have more to add. Need to gather my thoughts as am still slightly fuzzy after the road trip.
amitdan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 07:48   #2492
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
Just back from a 2000 km journey over 8 days on my 110. Hyderabad to coorg and back. Absolutely lovely drive and the awesome weather helped. Car handles perfectly. Lot of paces where there was no road, but faced no issues. Handled farm stretches and jungle roads beautifully. Although I was not offloading, there were areas where having a vehicle with high GC and large tyres helps immensely and takes care of any worries you might have.
To add to what you said, the ride quality really reduces fatigue levels dramatically. Few months back I drove 2000km in 4 days and there was almost no fatigue when I pulled in home late night. And not to mention; drove the same car next day early morning to office !
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 10:38   #2493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
To add to what you said, the ride quality really reduces fatigue levels dramatically. Few months back I drove 2000km in 4 days and there was almost no fatigue when I pulled in home late night. And not to mention; drove the same car next day early morning to office !
I'm yet to get my car but I absolutely agree with this based on my test drive experience. I think that's one of the major reasons why I decided on the 110 RxZ - with seat height and lumbar adjust, it becomes much more comfortable than the 85 (whose top-end sadly lacks these simple and essential features IMO)
Old 11th June 2013, 11:05   #2494
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
I'm yet to get my car but I absolutely agree with this based on my test drive experience. I think that's one of the major reasons why I decided on the 110 RxZ - with seat height and lumbar adjust, it becomes much more comfortable than the 85 (whose top-end sadly lacks these simple and essential features IMO)
True. But I wanted a better city drive, and so settled for the 85. However I found a good driving position. Since I am the sole driver I dont change the settings. I also got seats draped/bolstered with good leather. That adds to make them a tad firmer and hence are more comfortable as compared to the stock fabric.

As @amitdan mentioned, all points are very true for 85 also. Just that the cruise limits come down to 90-100. Apart from that every other observation remains same. Another point is AC is weaker compared to 110 because of non-availability of the rear blower (another of the main reasons why I did not want the 110). So when starting in peak/noon heat, the 85 takes its own time to cool the cabin.

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2013 at 11:08.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 12:53   #2495
BHPian

For those like me who missed scroll wheel for changing tracks / station. Here is the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-duster-scroll-wheel_imag0852.jpg  

Old 11th June 2013, 14:25   #2496
BHPian

Quote:

True. But I wanted a better city drive, and so settled for the 85. However I found a good driving position. Since I am the sole driver I dont change the settings. I also got seats draped/bolstered with good leather. That adds to make them a tad firmer and hence are more comfortable as compared to the stock fabric.

As @amitdan mentioned, all points are very true for 85 also. Just that the cruise limits come down to 90-100. Apart from that every other observation remains same. Another point is AC is weaker compared to 110 because of non-availability of the rear blower (another of the main reasons why I did not want the 110). So when starting in peak/noon heat, the 85 takes its own time to cool the cabin.
You are absolutely right about the 85 being better for the city drive. Reviews saying that it is petrol-like are not hyperbole at all. It is really good for that purpose. 85 would have sold so many more units if they had an option for adjustable seats for dual drive families like mine.

I'm hoping that the Nissan version comes with some hand rest attachment (why Renault did not integrate one with the rear ac mystifies me) as that would be the icing n the cake for highway drives. Some module for cruise control would also be nice. Sad that absolutely nothing can be done about lack of dead pedal space.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:41   #2497
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You are absolutely right about the 85 being better for the city drive. Reviews saying that it is petrol-like are not hyperbole at all. It is really good for that purpose. 85 would have sold so many more units if they had an option for adjustable seats for dual drive families like mine.
And the other good part of 85 (you would surprised to note if not aware!) is that the clutch is not at all hard as is reported for 110. Though the play bit more, but its quite smooth !

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2013 at 14:53.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:47   #2498
BHPian

Official: Nissan compact SUV to be called the Terrano

Courtesy Carwale Website....

Its official, The Nissan compact SUV that has been based on the Renault Duster will be called the Terrano. Nissan has also released an official sketch which shows that the premium SUV shares much of its design language with Duster including the massively flared wheel arches but has been given a new face to keep it in line with the Nissan design philosophy.

It is expected to be powered by the same set of engines that sit in the Duster; a 1.6-litre petrol that produces 102 PS and 145Nm of torque as well as a 1.5-litre diesel that is available with an output of 85PS or 110PS. Power is transmitted to the front wheel via five-speed manual across all variants. The Terrano might also be offered with four-wheel drive option if Renault introduces it with the Duster by the time the SUV is launched.

The Terrano will be produced at Nissan’s Oragadam Plant alongside the premium hatchback Micra, Sunny sedan and Evalia urban class utility vehicle, expanding Nissan’s locally-built model range to four. The Terrano is likely priced higher than the Duster due to the terms of sharing between both manufacturers which is believed to state that the new vehicle must be priced higher than the donor car.

Commenting on the Terrano, President and CEO of Nissan Motor India, Kenichiro Yomura, said Terrano will play a key role in increasing sales within the Indian market: “I am delighted to reveal both the name and the very first image of what will be a very important model for Nissan.”

“You can see from the sketch that Terrano has a bold and distinctive design that I am confident will appeal to our growing customer base in India, as will its driving performance and range of other features that will be revealed at a later date,” he added.
Attached Images

Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 15:05   #2499
BHPian

Quote:

And the other good part of 85 (you would surprised to note if not aware!) is that the clutch is not at all hard as is reported for 110. Though the play bit more, but its quite smooth !
You know, I was prepared for the 110 clutch to be very hard, based on all the reviews i had read but in the 5k run test drive car I drove, I thought it was quite acceptable. Very much like a normal diesel clutch - don't know if its Renault listening to customer feedback on newer batch cars.

The 85 clutch as you say, was butter smooth but I did feel the gear throw to be notchy in comparison to the 110.
Old 11th June 2013, 15:10   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Its official, The Nissan compact SUV that has been based on the Renault Duster will be called the Terrano. Nissan has also released an official sketch which shows that the premium SUV shares much of its design language with Duster including the massively flared wheel arches but has been given a new face to keep it in line with the Nissan design philosophy.
Thanks for including the sketch. I think the Autocar India mockup is what it will eventually look like, with the Nissan grille. Based on the press release does not look like there are going to be any substantive feature differences
Old 12th June 2013, 09:24   #2501
BHPian

Quote:
The 85 clutch as you say, was butter smooth but I did feel the gear throw to be notchy in comparison to the 110.
I agree with you, gear throw is the only complaint I have with my 85 PS Duster. For a Rs. 10L+ car, that looks cheap, Renault can consider replacing with fine tuned gear-box, not only for the future versions and also for the old customers.
Old 12th June 2013, 09:28   #2502
BHPian

Test Drove the Diesel 85 RXL, even in the 85, IMHO the clutch is unacceptably hard compared to similarly and even lesser priced Diesel Sedans. In comparision, even my Manza Aura QJD which has done 48000 km, has a lighter clutch. Great suspension though.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:04   #2503
BHPian

^^ Thank God for this comment.. I am sick of hearing that the 85 has a lighter clutch...
NO WAY ..Its hard as hell, even after 6-7K into mine.

For a lighter clutch, you need to drive my Santro. That is what is called light.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:43   #2504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
^^ Thank God for this comment.. I am sick of hearing that the 85 has a lighter clutch...

For a lighter clutch, you need to drive my Santro. That is what is called light.
Really surprised to hear about this and the above comment. My other car is a 800 so maybe I'm used to a less sophisticated clutch mechanism, but I found the 85 to have very acceptable feel
Old 12th June 2013, 14:43   #2505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post

you hit the nail on the head, one mustn't shy away from calling a spade a bloody shovel ! The recently launched Verito Vibe is a shining example of what a light clutch in a diesel car ought to be like,. One can actually keep it pressed right through a red light without even thinking that its there (not a good practice though)

Most Viewed