Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2013, 11:47   #2986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Amit - I have to go look up some links but the main reason is the 5 speed gearbox cannot handle the 240nm torque of the 110Bhp engine.
What is the relationship between number of gears and torque ? AFAIK Safari's 5 speed gearbox handles 320 NM torque.

I am not saying one is better then another but just from pov of my understanding.
Old 7th September 2013, 14:19   #2987
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsing3 View Post
Multiple 2's.... 1st anniversary in next few days. I am pretty happy with the performance and the comfort. Its almost a year and it seems like just bought it few days ago. Absolutely no complaints at all with my RD....Uploading few pictures from Day 1 and the trips to Bhopal, Nainital, Agra.

Good to know you are enjoying. Is that the OEM Engine Guard? Looks nice to me.
Old 7th September 2013, 14:27   #2988

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Good to know you are enjoying. Is that the OEM Engine Guard? Looks nice to me.
are you talking about the light? If yes, then it's the fuel indicator
Old 7th September 2013, 17:18   #2989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
What is the relationship between number of gears and torque ? AFAIK Safari's 5 speed gearbox handles 320 NM torque.

I am not saying one is better then another but just from pov of my understanding.
I found some links I have posted before - see here.

Detailed specs on the K9K 1.5 dci engine - http://www.renault.com/SiteCollectio...complet_GB.pdf

Renault's 5 speed used in the K9K 1.5 dci is limited to 200nm, and they have recently managed to increase it to 220nm, see links above.

Since the gearbox or transmission controls the amount of power/torque than can be delivered by the engine in different gears they are intimately related. Perhaps some basic understanding of transmissions will help - http://www.johnsonelectric.com/en/re...-overview.html

Ps; I am not an expert on gearboxes, transmissions or torques, its just that I did some research on the 1.5k K9K dci used by Renault worldwide. Some of our more technically inclined members can perhaps explain these concepts better.

Last edited by raul : 7th September 2013 at 17:25.
raul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 22:09   #2990
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since the gearbox or transmission controls the amount of power/torque than can be delivered by the engine in different gears they are intimately related.
Raul, I don't agree with the part in bold above.

The engine puts out the same amount of torque regardless of what gear you're in (though of course torque reaching the road would differ by gear).

Very sophisticated tuned cars can sometimes run "boost by gear" which means that they'll limit the power output in lower gears (to avoid wheelspin etc) -- but this is never the case for your average consumer cars.

The number of gears has little to do with how much torque the gearbox can handle. Though of course in this case if gearbox X (which happens to be 5-speed) can only handle xxx Nm, that would make sense.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th September 2013 at 22:16.
Old 8th September 2013, 23:52   #2991
BHPian

Guys here are my pictures of the road trips of kashmir undertook in last 6 Months.No need to mention the vehicle used.

Trip covers almost all parts of the Kashmir valley.
Here's name of the places i covered
1. Srinagar
2. Baramulla
3. Uri
4. Sialkot
5. Kupawara
6. Sonmarg
7. Baltal
8. Zozilla Bye Pass (Not Zozilla Pass)

Renault Duster : Official Review-panaromic-view-pari-mahal.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-paranpilan-road.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-sunset-05.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-golf-club-2.jpg

Check out pictures here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3231597
h.s.r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 00:05   #2992
BHPian

Rehaan - I am not an expert at gearboxes and engines and I think I haven't expressed myself well here.

What I was trying to say is the transmission regulates the amount of power to wheels from the engine, so in lower gears you get the power at lower RPMs, while in higher gears you get the power at higher rpms.

There must be a better way to express this technically I guess on the relationship between transmission, gear ratios, engine output and power delivery.

You are right, I was referring to the specific 5 speed gearbox Renault uses being limited to 200nm, not all 5 speed gearboxes! I had done a bit of research on the K9K Duster engine and there was a lot of discussion and links online why the 85 is simply not a detuned version, and the addition of a stronger crank, rods, pistons and a 6 speed gearbox for the 110, as the 5 speed could only handle a maximum of 200nm.
Old 9th September 2013, 10:20   #2993
BHPian

Quote:
Renault's 5 speed used in the K9K 1.5 dci is limited to 200nm, and they have recently managed to increase it to 220nm, see links above.
Special thanks to @Rahul for bringing together the reference material and give some good insight.

Although the tuning boxes claim an increase of upto 40% off peak power and upto 30% peak power and torque.

Going by the thread and the references it is a bad idea to go for tuning box and increase the power of K9K 85ps to 110ps.

The gear box is one of the main reasons, which is already at max capacity and not something that you want to break when you need it the most.

I had a doubt of the 85 and 110 to be not just a tuning change. The two engines are a lot different. The compression change from piston size and VGT make a whole lot of difference. The base architecture is the same, but like the gear box, few other components might have been upgraded for the higher torque as well.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 13:31   #2994
BHPian

Back from a 1000 KM trip to Mahabalipuram and Pondicherry.

my 85 PS RxL (O) gave a mileage of 16kmpl tank full to tank full over the whole trip. It includes consistent speeds between 100-130 kmph on AH-43 (smooth smooth yummy roads). Some SH driving between varying speeds with a max speed of 80 kmph. And a lot of city driving in Pondicherry and Mahabalipuram. Not to mention loads of idling for AC due to heat.

Decent enough I would say. Best speed for Duster 85 PS is ~100 kmph. The mileage reached 22kmpl at 100kmph speeds.
Old 10th September 2013, 15:35   #2995
BHPian

What seems to be the average speeds that you get to see on the highways?

On three different long drives on completely different types/states of highways, I got a similar avg speed of 42.5 kmph !!
In city, the avg speeds that I get in rush hour traffic (20km per day in NCR) has been <25kmph !! (averaged over a tankful ,that typically lasts about a month)

Traffic is pathetic in India !
Old 10th September 2013, 16:15   #2996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post

On three different long drives on completely different types/states of highways, I got a similar avg speed of 42.5 kmph !!
In city, the avg speeds that I get in rush hour traffic (20km per day in NCR) has been <25kmph !! (averaged over a tankful ,that typically lasts about a month)

It is very frustrating that we pay 2-3 Rs of road improvement tax for every litre of fuel, pay 15.5% of Road Tax while buying a new vehicle (Karnataka) and still have such bad roads. Every drivable road in the country again has a toll tax of 30-100 Rs.
Old 10th September 2013, 16:32   #2997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post

Avg speeds on Nation Highways is 65+.
Avg speeds on State Highways is 40+.

In Bangalore city traffic my average speed is less than 20 kmph.
Old 10th September 2013, 16:50   #2998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Back from a 1000 KM trip to Mahabalipuram and Pondicherry.
Nice! You seem to have had a good drive acroback.
How did the AC perform?
Was it quite hot in Tamil Nadu?
Did you have rear passengers? If yes, was the AC keeping them comfortable?
Old 10th September 2013, 18:18   #2999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Nice! You seem to have had a good drive acroback.
How did the AC perform?
Was it quite hot in Tamil Nadu?
Did you have rear passengers? If yes, was the AC keeping them comfortable?
In Bangalore as single driver, I keep AC speed at 1.
This was the first time I experienced swell heat of Mahabalipuram and it was very Hot for me.
Vehicle had 4 adults and 2 toddlers with boot filled with heavy luggage to brim. Rear parcel tray was filled all the way to the top throughout the journey.

Anyway, rear occupants started complaining about AC, so I had to keep it at atleast 3 position and at coldest setting to get some "That is more like it". So yes vehicle's AC a little downer but catches up if you wring out more out of it.

No complaints after that episode.
Old 10th September 2013, 20:05   #3000
BHPian

my 10K service is due now. could you guys gimme some pointers on what all would need changing & top-ups?

I was thinking of doing 5 wheel tyre rotation and getting alignment /balancing checked.
any idea whether the MRFs are unidirectional tyres or not(in which case, no cross rotation )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks