Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2013, 12:21   #3166
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
I really couldn't argue much after that, so I guess will have to rely on a thorough PDI.
One easy identification. The seat covers had plastic wrap with bar code stickers. It had the date when the seats were manufactured

Mine had a date in May and vehicle was ready for delivery by 1st week of June.

Dont bother much on the date anywa. These cars are built to last for years. Duster already has anti-rust treatment from factory, thought I plan to get the 3M under-body coating done sometime for its sound dampening properties.
Old 25th October 2013, 23:26   #3167
BHPian

Those who are looking for an armrest for Duster. Here's perfect fit.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3267414
h.s.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 09:52   #3168
BHPian

Moderator note: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT once the original post is approved. Thanks.

Went to check out Renault Duster today. Have already booked an Ecosport but the eternal waiting period with no guarantee of obtaining delivery even at the promised time is forcing me to rethink and continue evaluating other options. I have a few Qs for the experts/ folks who own a Duster currently:
1. The 475 L of boot space is with the parcel shelf removed I guess? With the shelf in place I guess it would be about 300L? Am I guessing correctly?
2. As has also been noted in the official review, build quality of the interiors especially plastics is really poor. The toolbox plastic cover is so thin I could bend it with my fingers. Have you faced any failures/broken parts?
3. Noted one comment in the thread about add a tuning box to the 85PS if its falling a bit short on the highway...is it feasible? Has anyone done it?
4. Is it reasonable to expect discounts on Duster now that their sales have plummeted form ~6000 per month to < 3000? Also now that Terrano is also an option? The dealer is already offering me a cash discount of 15,000 though I feel that might be less.

Some more Qs as I do more research...Thanks in anticipation folks.

Went to the Trident Renault showroom yesterday. Saw the anniversary edition Blue Colored Duster. When Duster was launched I was surprised they did not have a Blue Color as Blue especially darker shades are masculine shades and go with the Masculine looks of the car...Must say, it looks awesome! Its unfortunate its only available in the top end 110 and is northwards of 15 lakhs OTR in Bangalore.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th October 2013 at 11:43.
Old 26th October 2013, 12:45   #3169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestallion View Post
Moderator note: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT once the original post is approved. Thanks.

Went to check out Renault Duster today. Have already booked an Ecosport but the eternal waiting period with no guarantee of obtaining delivery even at the promised time is forcing me to rethink and continue evaluating other options. I have a few Qs for the experts/ folks who own a Duster currently:
1. The 475 L of boot space is with the parcel shelf removed I guess? With the shelf in place I guess it would be about 300L? Am I guessing correctly?
475L is with the parcel shelf in place. Without the parcel shelf, you can stack much more, though nor advisable.
2. As has also been noted in the official review, build quality of the interiors especially plastics is really poor. The toolbox plastic cover is so thin I could bend it with my fingers. Have you faced any failures/broken parts?
The plastic quality is bad for the price it commands, but not bad, it is workman like quality for European markets (hard & sturdy... ideally should last long) with changes to colour to justify the premium pricing.
3. Noted one comment in the thread about add a tuning box to the 85PS if its falling a bit short on the highway...is it feasible? Has anyone done it?
If you are concerned with highway running, go for RXL110ps. This will suffice your needs, rather than losing warranty over tuning.
4. Is it reasonable to expect discounts on Duster now that their sales have plummeted form ~6000 per month to < 3000? Also now that Terrano is also an option? The dealer is already offering me a cash discount of 15,000 though I feel that might be less.
Try negotiating more, few posts back @Abh1nav has already stated the benefits he got as worth Rs.47k.
Hi @Bluestallion

I have checked out the Duster at dealership & please note my replies next to your queries. Best of luck for the buy.

However, I observed that even the Duster's rear is bogged down when the boot is loaded (presumably) & there are 3 in rear seat. Owners please confirm the same.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 13:12   #3170
BHPian

Quote:
I have a few Qs for the experts/ folks who own a Duster currently:

I believe, 475L will be with parcel tray in place. Just falls short of sedans with the tray in place.

Around 4k on the Odo. No failures yet. The tool box is surprisingly large inside. I have additionally packed in the spare bulbs, a Belkin inverter and 12V air compressor with puncture repair kit.

IMO, not worth it. 85ps is quite capable in itself. The transmission is designed for 200nm torque. Which 85ps already delivers.

Yes. Today TOI carried Ad for upto 60k exchange discounts. They also reward for referrals.

Last edited by HillMan : 26th October 2013 at 13:15.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 15:49   #3171
BHPian

Saw this Anniversary Edition model at Trident Renault Whitefield - looks awesome. Could not get a great shot in the limited light at showroom. There were two on display yesterday. One got picked up and the other one remains.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Blue Duster.zip (2.56 MB, 245 views)
Old 26th October 2013, 21:35   #3172
BHPian

Quote:
Saw this Anniversary Edition model at Trident Renault Whitefield - looks awesome. Could not get a great shot in the limited light at showroom. There were two on display yesterday. One got picked up and the other one remains.
The Sales Consultant said they got a total of 6 so looks like its really limited edition.
Old 27th October 2013, 10:30   #3173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post

Around 4k on the Odo. No failures yet.
When I took a test drive, I found the gear knob very hard and it was not slotting properly, Due to this I stalled the engine twice. The service advisor mentioned it is due to the test drive vehicle being used by several customers. Did you face the same problem in your 4k run?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/Please.gif

Last edited by noopster : 28th October 2013 at 17:47. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 27th October 2013, 10:51   #3174
BHPian

Quote:
When I took a test drive, I found the gear knob very hard and it was not slotting properly, Due to this I stalled the engine twice. The service advisor mentioned it is due to the test drive vehicle being used by several customers. Did you face the same problem in your 4k run?
I have not come across this issue yet and neither have I read about it on the forum with other ownership reports yet. TD vehicles are usually abused.

One thing to remember, Duster is still a large car. Dont take it for granted, as built to be an offroading SUV. It is easy to be carried away while driving this beast. Slow down when you can, bad roads are not good for a tank as well

It is a good utility vehicle with a GC and ride quality you would love. Dimentions are small, still looks bigger, but very spacious from Inside. The seating height and inside layout give a large vehicle feel to it.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 14:32   #3175
BHPian

Duster 85PS Remap

Red Rooster Performance has already remapped Duster 85PS. Here's the dyno result of the same.

Renault Duster : Official Review-remap.jpg

Source: FB
Power Freak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 20:42   #3176
Senior - BHPian

Went to Trident Renault in Mysore Road to book the car as I have already decided to buy this car. Actually I was interested in Ecosport, but since the dealership has stopped taking bookings for Titanium, and requirement of more space inside cabin, I had opted for Duster RXL (O).

The SA was ready to give the exchange bonus of 60k and additional 30K worth for 2 years extended warranty, 6K for road assistance and 4K for "GOD-Gang Of Duster" membership. But I experienced a unique issue.

The current car I own (my brother's car-he has settled abroad permanently) is a Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair. It is in my brother's name. The SA refused to give the exchange bonus for the car as it was owned by my brother (he infact told it is not applicable). Further SA informed that if the car was owned by my parents/children/wife, then the bonus would be applicable. Moreover the price quoted by Renault dealer for the exchange of my car is 80k (may go upto 1 Lac if negotiated).

Here are the things I would like to know.
1. Is it possible to buy the Duster availing the exchange bonus?
2. When I informed that I will drop buying the car, then the SA offered some special discount of 15k and accessories of another 10k (parking sensor). I informed him I need the special discount anyways and informed him to discuss with his manager and call me back tomorrow on the final outcome.
3. Alternatively, if I sell the car outside, I may get ~ 1.50L. Then take the offer whatever the dealer is offering and go ahead with the vehicle?
4. Should I have to bargain more to get more discounts?

Sorry for long post...but I need some answers before I take the plunge.
Old 28th October 2013, 00:54   #3177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @Bluestallion
However, I observed that even the Duster's rear is bogged down when the boot is loaded (presumably) & there are 3 in rear seat. Owners please confirm the same.
I travelled with luggage filled almost to the top (parcel shelf removed) and 5 people on semi rural and rural roads of Haryana. These roads had good - bad - worse kind of speed breakers yet I didn't face any situation where I feared that I will scrap car's bottom. Though rear left tyre's mud flap did gave away somewhere during the 450 km odd journey. Wondering if its possible to get single mud flap ?

One particular experience I would like to share was when I took Duster on a small 5 kms stretch of sandy (desert soil) road which is usually taken by tractors, boleros and jeeps. Its the kind of sand which you see in beaches. Now usually most cars can cover the straight stretch with momentum as the path is well beaten by other vehicles but get struck when there are turns because of the high volume of sand which gets concentrated in small space by tractors and big vehicle tyres. On various turns, I tried with varying speeds , 40 kmph on 2nd gear as well as crawiling speed in 1st gear, yet I was able to pass smoothly.

I don't know what exactly was the factor that helped Duster complete that without stopping, may be it was combination of decently broad tyres + light body weight + good torque weight ratio. I wouldn't stay I felt very confident because there were 1 or 2 times when I got struck with 2WD Scorpio (mHawk) and Old Safari (non Dicor). On those stretches only a good 4x4 vehicle or Tractor can inspire you real confidence.

That said, this incident did gave me some off-roading confidence in Duster, but ofcourse I will tread with caution.

Last edited by austere_sly : 28th October 2013 at 00:56.
austere_sly is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 08:15   #3178
BHPian

what would be the better option for a SUV in Delhi being sub 12L OTR: Renault Duster RxL 110, or the Nissan Terrano RxL 110 or Safari Storme Ex or Force One...
Main Parameters: Mileage, Interiors & finish, engine performance & tuning ....
Old 28th October 2013, 09:39   #3179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplav View Post
what would be the better option for a SUV in Delhi being sub 12L OTR: Renault Duster RxL 110, or the Nissan Terrano RxL 110 or Safari Storme Ex or Force One...
Main Parameters: Mileage, Interiors & finish, engine performance & tuning ....
I'll vote for Duster. IMO, 85 RXL (O) is the best value. I hate turbo lag.

You should post your question in this forum:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...suvs-muvs.html
Old 28th October 2013, 11:21   #3180
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
I'll vote for Duster. IMO, 85 RXL (O) is the best value. I hate turbo lag.

You should post your question in this forum:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...suvs-muvs.html
The duster will be easier to maneuver in crowded areas as well and will be returning a better fuel efficiency too.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks