Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2013, 12:28   #3391
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Hope you are comparing features with Nissan Terrano as well. Both are similar in ride, comfort and capabilities. However, there are subtle differences in features and list of accessories.
Absolutely. As of now (sometimes my choices seem to vary as wildly as a teen's mood swings) my options appear to have boiled down to Duster, Terrano and Skoda Yeti.

Haven't seen the Terrano in the flesh, but as of now the Yeti has my heart. Unfortunately the price of the Yeti- not so good, not so good! So I am likely to walk away with many a backward glance.

Hence the practical decision is likely to go in favour of the Duster or the Terrano.

Of those two makes, my choices now are more or less focused on 85 vs. 110, and between the several versions therein.

Only 20-25% of my driving will be on the highway, but I probably still may go for the 110, I don't know. However, if someone can tell me they took an 85 through Leh with no problem, I may settle for the 85. I have read elsewhere on this forum that the 85 is better on the hills because of no turbo-lag.

Between the Duster and the Terrano, I am likely to go for the more 'solid' vehicle; I believe that the Terrano is that.

Decisions, Decisions!
Old 30th November 2013, 13:15   #3392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
However, if someone can tell me they took an 85 through Leh with no problem, I may settle for the 85. I have read elsewhere on this forum that the 85 is better on the hills because of no turbo-lag.
You asked for it, you got it

#Sathyaprakash had his 85ps RxL (0) on a trip to Leh.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3239417

Travelogue, one of the best I've read around
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hd-2013-a.html
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 13:43   #3393

Quote:

Between the Duster and the Terrano, I am likely to go for the more 'solid' vehicle;
As far as I know, apart from looks and any trim variations, both the duster and terrano are the same.. the nissan sales guy claimed that the terrano uses metal which is thicker by 2 mm, but I am not sure if its true...
ceebu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 14:34   #3394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Between the Duster and the Terrano, I am likely to go for the more 'solid' vehicle; I believe that the Terrano is that.

Decisions, Decisions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebu View Post
As far as I know, apart from looks and any trim variations, both the duster and terrano are the same.. the nissan sales guy claimed that the terrano uses metal which is thicker by 2 mm, but I am not sure if its true...
The Terrano feels more solid than the Duster. The doors feel heavier and close reassuringly.

This 2mm could also explain the 120kilo additional weight of the Terrano compared to the Duster.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 14:40   #3395
BHPian

Quote:

Decisions, Decisions!
It shall be a long struggle for you to decide between the 2. We have recently bought a Duster 110 Rxz variant.

While the Terrano looked great and fresh than the Duster, Renault was giving a killer price tag to compensate for the same. Spec to Spec, there was 1.50 lakh price difference between the top variants. Also, in addition to that, the Terrano still didnt offer Steering mounted controls and Sat Nav even as an option.

In the end, the price difference and features were simply too much to ignore and hence ended up with the Duster.

Also, since you are going to hit the highway occasionally, I would suggest you go with the 110 bhp variant as the 85 version while great within the city, doesn't do justice to an SUV sized vehicle on the highway.

My 2 cents. Happy Purchasing!!
Old 30th November 2013, 14:45   #3396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Terrano feels more solid than the Duster. The doors feel heavier and close reassuringly.

This 2mm could also explain the 120kilo additional weight of the Terrano compared to the Duster.
I have extensively researched on the Kerb weight aspect on both the vehicles. There seems to have been a mistake somewhere.

Both of them have more or less same kerb weight or a marginal difference of ~ 7 kgs as per their brochures and various sources.
Old 30th November 2013, 14:50   #3397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post

Also, since you are going to hit the highway occasionally, I would suggest you go with the 110 bhp variant as the 85 version while great within the city, doesn't do justice to an SUV sized vehicle on the highway.

My 2 cents. Happy Purchasing!!
Thanks for your reply Flash777.

Yes the Rs 1.5 lakh difference things such as steering mounted controls and Sat Nav do make a Duster more attractive on that score.

But, my questions have to do with the difference between a 110 and 85, regardless of the make.

Exactly what does the 110 version give on the highways as compared to the 85?

From what I have read on this forum, the 85 is just fine on the highways until the 110-120 kmph range. That works for me, as I have no intention of even crossing 100-105kmph, such that is my driving style.

Now, on the hills, I have read that the 85 is better (!) because of lack of turbo lag.

In terms of rough road driving, people have taken the 85 to Leh and back without a problem.

And of course the 85 is a much better city car.

So is the difference on the highway all that much? I'm not 'debating' with you, these are genuine questions.
Old 30th November 2013, 15:56   #3398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
I have extensively researched on the Kerb weight aspect on both the vehicles. There seems to have been a mistake somewhere.

Both of them have more or less same kerb weight or a marginal difference of ~ 7 kgs as per their brochures and various sources.
He is right. The websites claim a small difference only..

Duster Petrol:1740 Kg
Terrano Petrol:1755 Kg

Duster Diesel 85PS:1758 Kg
Terrano Diesel 85PS: 1764 Kg

Duster Diesel 110PS:1781 Kg
Terrano diesel 110PS: 1784 Kg
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 17:20   #3399
BHPian

It is that time of the year when I ll have to take my 85 ps for 2nd free service. I need some advice on the same:
Month of purchase : April 2013
Kms run : 11800

Problem faced :
1) A slight dent on the bonnet corner due to coconut falling on the bonnet
2) A slight depression on left side rear wheel arch because of people standing with support on the arch
3) Rear door edge paint etched because my small kid always manages to touch my garage wall while opening
4) I find rattling sound/squeaking sound on the B pillar when the car hits a rough spot and also when I accelerate suddenly or brake suddenly(sudden change in momentum) gives a squeaking sound( like when you twist a ladder). I m not liking this sound. althought it is not loud enough , but surely of nusance value.

I ll be getting the first 3 points addressed at a local workshop. But i need inputs regarding the b pillar rattles/squeaking sounds. Do you guys also experienced the same??

Any other thing that I should keep in mind while going for the 2 nd service??

Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 18:00   #3400
BHPian

Quote:

Exactly what does the 110 version give on the highways as compared to the 85?

From what I have read on this forum, the 85 is just fine on the highways until the 110-120 kmph range. That works for me, as I have no intention of even crossing 100-105kmph, such that is my driving style.

Now, on the hills, I have read that the 85 is better (!) because of lack of turbo lag.

In terms of rough road driving, people have taken the 85 to Leh and back without a problem.

And of course the 85 is a much better city car.

So is the difference on the highway all that much? I'm not 'debating' with you, these are genuine questions.

I think you have answered your own questions mate. If you are sure you aren't into spirited driving, the 85 bhp should be just perfect for you. The minimal turbo lag should help things in city & ghat sections.

Just take a test drive of both the versions before you take the final plunge though.

Happy Driving!
Flash777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 19:43   #3401
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I would like to tell you that we got our Duster's Door beadings changed back home in Jaipur. My dad ended up at the service center to get a clogged air filter cleaned as he happened to be in the area. The service guy asked if there was any other problem my dad was having with the vehicle. Dad mentioned the creaking noise from the doors. And the guys there got to work.

As explained by my dad. They;
Took out the door beading.
Installed a Buffer pad below the beading.
Installed the beading on top of the buffer.

He said they have instructions from Renault to apply this fix on all vehicles whose owners are complaining about noise from the doors. So basically they have increased the height of the beading. Similar to what one forum member did here (installing a rubber stub of slightly increased length in place of the one originally fitted in the door) and should be given the credit of figuring it out on his own. Was it Himadri-da?

And he also mentioned another thing which took me by surprise. He said that the brake pad wear will be indicated in the instrument cluster and you don't need to worry about it till the light glows up. He also said that their Demo vehicle has done above 30k km and hasn't had any pads changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niket.dhirai View Post
i need inputs regarding the b pillar rattles/squeaking sounds. Do you guys also experienced the same??

Any other thing that I should keep in mind while going for the 2 nd service??

Thanks
Renault has issued a directive to service centers pan India to change the beadings of the doors for customers complaining of the squeaking noise.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 21:02   #3402
BHPian

Quote:
The 110ps has a punch after turbo lag and that feels like a race car. The 6 gear on highway makes it a great cruiser.

I drive an 85ps. Have taken it on pretty steep stretches, it performs well without breaking a sweat. At no time you feel under powered or insecure. On highway, I usually maintain a steady speed around 110kmph. Duster 85 is able to hold momentum and feels very stable.

110ps would have lower engine noise and feel much smoother on highway. That said, with slight change in driving style, the turbo lag would be a non-issue. It has more power and punch.

Both have their pros and cons. Take a TD of both and go with your heart.

However, from the usage pattern you have described, I'd recommend 85ps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
He is right. The websites claim a small difference only..
Thanks for the data. The small differences could be due to the design alterations and interior material changes. It really doesn't look like additional weight from sheet metal changes. For the solid door thud they might have done the beading fix at the factory
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 22:00   #3403
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I have driven both extensively in the hills and on the highways. Here is my take on it. In the Hills both are fine except with the 85, you can drive in a more relaxed manner and don't have to keep down shifting as much. With the 110 soon as you reach a hairpin bend you have to remember to downshift so that you are in second or even 1st in some cases, otherwise you will end up almost stalling and having to shift to first.

In the highway 85 ps runs out of steam after about 3200 rpm, engine is loud but there is no extra power, with 110 you can be at 130 and there is spare power in 6th gear to overtake without downshifting.

To sum it up, if you are a relaxed driver who generally keeps within 120 kmph then 85 is fine as you can save almost 1.5 lakhs of a similarly specked car. Also the 85 is giving avg of 15 kmph in ooty ghat roads and 110 is giving only 11 to 12 kmph. 85 can use mineral oil but for 110 company insists on synthetic oil so service costs for 110 will be slightly higher. With the 85 as you go over 120 to 130 kmph the engine does get loud without much increase in power.

Finally it comes down to your personal choice and driving style. For normal day to day running around 85 checks all the boxes and leaves you with an extra 1.5 lakhs in the bank. If you love performance driving then 110 is the way to go.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 30th November 2013 at 22:01.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 09:06   #3404
BHPian

I see an issue while using the car phone on Bluetooth. Only the front left speakers seems to come alive. I have the inbuilt Media - NAV which the standard on RXL (OPT). while on media playback, all the 4 speakers just work fine. Is this something which is expected? The service team rep seemed to say it is normal.
Old 1st December 2013, 12:37   #3405

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny13 View Post
Only the front left speakers seems to come alive..
I only hear the front right speakers during calls, I just assumed it was one of the cheap ways Renault has cost cut using mono bt instead of steroe bt.. didnt even ask the SA!

Maybe I should,... will check and update the official response.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks