Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2014, 14:55   #3511
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
Guys, after a fiasco with Ford over their 1.0 Ecosport, i'm now in the market for a petrol Duster. I would prefer the 1.2TCe engine, if it ever gets launched here, else the 1.6 NA motor that's currently available.
The Renault/Nissan dealers in Gurgaon do not have petrol Duster/Terrano available for test drives nor will they get those. Thus, would appreciate your experiences/knowledge on the performance of the petrol Duster. Am not really keen on mileage but more concerned about the adequacy of power for the large vehicle.

Cheers!
I got a call from the local dealers after I bought the duster diesel. Though my initial interest was the petrol, but I am completely satisfied with my 85bhp Diesel, perfect for city driving.
chetan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 19:50   #3512
BHPian

Name:  ForumRunner_20140112_194730.png
Views: 3370
Size:  556.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20140112_194744.png
Views: 3226
Size:  456.4 KB

Just got my duster some matt vinly wrapping done on the a and b pillars as well as the bottom section of the doors. This is for the benefit of readers. Personally i did not like the wrapping on the bottom section of the door.
niket.dhirai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 21:10   #3513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niket.dhirai View Post

Just got my duster some matt vinly wrapping done on the a and b pillars as well as the bottom section of the doors. This is for the benefit of readers. Personally i did not like the wrapping on the bottom section of the door.
Cheers !

Car is looking good with the wraps.
Old 12th January 2014, 21:47   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niket.dhirai View Post
Looks nice. But I feel that they are B and C pillars. Correct if I am wrong.
Old 12th January 2014, 21:50   #3515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post

Looks nice. But I feel that they are B and C pillars. Correct if I am wrong.
My apologies, you right.
Old 12th January 2014, 22:07   #3516

The Rear Defogger of my RXL 85 died this morning. Not sure if its a switch problem or a much larger problem.

Anyone else who has faced a similar issue ? And would this be covered under warranty ?
Old 12th January 2014, 23:35   #3517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG10 View Post
The Rear Defogger of my RXL 85 died this morning. Not sure if its a switch problem or a much larger problem.

Anyone else who has faced a similar issue ? And would this be covered under warranty ?
It should be covered under warranty. However does not seem to be a regular problem.
Old 13th January 2014, 10:35   #3518
BHPian

The Duster has completed nearly 3500 Kms since I brought it home a couple of months back. While I initially had my doubts over the fact that I may be overspending for this car (considering the premium over the Ecosport), but now I feel that the money was well spent!

Got the first service done at 2000 Kms and the service center guys convinced my dad to get the Teflon coating + under-body coating done, which cost us Rs. 7000.

One thing I'm concerned about is that I've noticed white smoke from the exhaust while starting the car in the morning. Is it common to diesel cars at this time of the year, since the temperature is quite low in the morning? I can see the smoke for around 5-10 minutes before it becomes normal again.
Old 13th January 2014, 11:02   #3519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
The Duster has completed nearly 3500 Kms since I brought it home a couple of months back. While I initially had my doubts over the fact that I may be overspending for this car (considering the premium over the Ecosport), but now I feel that the money was well spent!

Got the first service done at 2000 Kms and the service center guys convinced my dad to get the Teflon coating + under-body coating done, which cost us Rs. 7000.

One thing I'm concerned about is that I've noticed white smoke from the exhaust while starting the car in the morning. Is it common to diesel cars at this time of the year, since the temperature is quite low in the morning? I can see the smoke for around 5-10 minutes before it becomes normal again.
White smoke is due to vapours. Nothing to worry here. It goes away once the engine and the exhaust has fully warmed up.
Old 13th January 2014, 11:04   #3520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sorry mate. Only the RXL Diesel with Options will fit your bill.
No other lower variant has ABS.
Thanks mate. So I am stuck with RXL (O).

Today I heard about a price increase of about 10k to 25k across the duster range, anyone have any updates?

I would like to know the width of duster and ecosport excluding the mirrors. Anyone has that info?
Old 13th January 2014, 12:23   #3521

Got done the 10K service on Saturday.
Over all impressions –
  • Service executive at Renault Whitefield, Bangalore was very cordial and promptly obliged to my points
  • Got done the following –
    • Wheel Alignment, balancing and rotation
    • Alignment test report had no differences on Camber, Caster and Toe aspects before and after.
    • Brake bleeding – Didn’t see this entry in the bill, but the SE sworn that he was present when the brakes were bled. However, slow speed braking has an improved feel now.
    • Oil filter change
    • Oil change
    • Air filter cleaning
    • Mud flaps refitting (Shabby fitting for Duster by default)
Total spend was Rs. 3416.
I noticed a change in sound when the doors are getting closed (more of a padded feel, than the original sheet metal clunk). Checked the metal latch on the body and the corresponding slot on the door, and observed that both are padded with a sealant material. Anyway, the squeaky sound has been reduced .
They spoiled my 3D mats with oil, perhaps while cleaning the interior. Advice to my fellow members - Please put back the cheap stock mats before giving the car for service.
Ram190877 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 12:24   #3522
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideRanger View Post
I would like to know the width of duster and ecosport excluding the mirrors. Anyone has that info?
Don't remember the specs.

- If you need seating for 3, Duster is the option.
- If your need is for 2 at the back, You can look at Ecosport
- If you need a big boot, again it swings towards Duster
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 12:33   #3523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

DUSTER DATA:
Overall Length, mm 4315
Overall Width, mm 1822 (mirrors folded)
Overall Height, mm 1695
Wheelbase,mm 2673
Front Track, mm 1560
Rear Track, mm 1567
Ground Clearance, mm 205
Approach Angle, deg 30
Departure Angle, deg 36
Ramp Breakover Angle, deg 23
Boot Volume (VDA), Seats upright/Seats folded, Litres 475 / 1636
Cd 0.42

ECOSPORT DIMENSIONS
Dimensions
Length 3999mm
Width 1765mm
Height 1708mm
Wheel base 2520mm
Boot volume 362 litres / 704 L (seats folded) , 60:40 split backrest
Ground clearance 200mm

Last edited by arjab : 13th January 2014 at 12:38.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 15:05   #3524
BHPian

Thanks ampere & arjab.

Just asked for a width without mirrors and I get a whole set of info. TeamBHP rocks!!

What does VDA stands for in boot volume? And I guess Cd is "coefficient of drag" , the lower the better right? So guessing Ecosport has a lower Cd.

Also can the passenger air bag be disabled in Duster? My kid would sometimes sit in front with along with my wife.

Waiting for the face lifted Duster. Hope it gets here soon.
Old 13th January 2014, 18:42   #3525
BHPian

Quote:
What does VDA stands for in boot volume?
Here is a good explanation for VDA:

Ref:http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2133836

VDA is short for Verband der Automobilindustrie, which is loosely translated as the German automobile industry association.

Anyway back to the VDA boot size calculation. The measurement is done using blocks of wood measuring (200x50x100)mm, which translates to 1,000,000 cubic mm. If you still remember your high school math, 1 cm cubed has the same volume as 1ml. So 1,000 cubic mm equals to 1 ml which again translates to 1,000,000 cubic mm equals to 1,000ml, which equals to 1 litre. In short one block of wood has an equal volume to 1 litre. So what they do is to fill the boot space with as many of these blocks of wood as possible. So if 500 blocks can be crammed inside the space, then boot space is equals to 500 litres VDA. So if the Honda City sedan is rated at 506 litres VDA, it simply means that it can fit 506 blocks sizes measuring (200x50x100)mm in its trunk.

Quote:
And I guess Cd is "coefficient of drag" , the lower the better right? So guessing Ecosport has a lower Cd.
Ecosport has a huge flat front face, air dam. I believe the drag coefficient might be marginally lesser, from the size. But not enough to make a big difference.

Quote:
Also can the passenger air bag be disabled in Duster? My kid would sometimes sit in front with along with my wife.
The Airbag cannot be disabled on the fly. The switch is on the dashboard panel towards the door. It can be accessed with the door open.

Info based on the manual. Anyone with the RXL Option pack can confirm.
HillMan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed