Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2014, 01:33   #3961
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Is anyone using synthetic oil in Duster 85 or 110 ? Does it improve the engine NVH levels noticeably ?
Old 12th May 2014, 09:33   #3962
BHPian

Every oil change will improve the NVH levels.
That said, I don't feel any continuous improvement in NVH.
Old 12th May 2014, 10:43   #3963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Is anyone using synthetic oil in Duster 85 or 110 ? Does it improve the engine NVH levels noticeably ?
IMO, not worth the cost difference. From my little experience, that alone will not make your Duster quieter. You can go ahead and check with synth oil & confirm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Not much. Initially you will feel the difference. And then you will get used to the new level of noise, and this new level will become the new reference point

Last edited by condor : 12th May 2014 at 10:56.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:56   #3964
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
IMO, not worth the cost difference. ..go ahead and check with synth oil & confirm ... Initially you will feel the difference. And then you will get used to the new level of noise, and this new level will become the new reference point
Thanks. I was primarily looking in to ways improve the NVH levels. That said, I given the car for 10,000 km service and have asked them to go ahead with mineral oil.

They're trying to sell AC disinfectant as well. Is it worth the money ? Rate is 700rs that I find reasonable.
Old 12th May 2014, 13:23   #3965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They're trying to sell AC disinfectant as well. Is it worth the money ? Rate is 700rs that I find reasonable.
Is there a foul smell coming from the A/c ? If not, then dont take it.

Unless there is a foul-smell, it is not required. And when not required it becomes a way for them to increase billing.

One tip:
Dont run the a/c at 100% cooling. This causes a lot of condensation in the internals, which over time will lead to foul smell.

Alternatively, you can run the a/c in heating mode before switching off the vehicle at the end of the day.

I know that a/c cooling is not very good in the Duster, and people try to run the a/c at 100% in order to try get better cooling.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 14:10   #3966
BHPian

Quote:
I was primarily looking in to ways improve the NVH levels. That said, I given the car for 10,000 km service and have asked them to go ahead with mineral oil.
Changing oil is no way going to help you in improving NVH level. For that you need to lookout for damping \ insulate the bonnet\firewall.

Synthetic oil is anydays better for engine, but you cant rely its life till 10K kms (changing at ~7.5 - 8K kms is recommended). I am using mineral oil and changing it at every 5K.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 12th May 2014 at 14:12.
Old 12th May 2014, 14:52   #3967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Changing oil is no way going to help you in improving NVH level. For that you need to lookout for damping \ insulate the bonnet\firewall.

Synthetic oil is anydays better for engine, but you cant rely its life till 10K kms (changing at ~7.5 - 8K kms is recommended). I am using mineral oil and changing it at every 5K.
Thanks. Damping the firewall is already on cards. I'm also looking forward to oil changes (mineral) every 5,000 km.

That said, from the discussions in team-bhp and elsewhere and I understand that a big majority opine that synthetic oil does improve the overall engine NVH. Theoretically, it makes sense as less frictional losses means smoother engine operation. How noticeable the difference is in a Duster 85 is the point.

Did you try synthetic oil in your Duster at any point ?
Old 12th May 2014, 15:03   #3968
BHPian

Quote:
a big majority opine that synthetic oil does improve the overall engine NVH. Theoretically, it makes sense as less frictional losses means smoother engine operation.
Better NVH for how long? Any oil change will give better NVH compared to the previous NVH levels. Once oil changes its properties due to heat and the impurities, the initial improvement will be gone till the next oil change. The time interval may vary with different oils. To be honest, I like to hear the engine while driving, but in Duster a slight improvement is required damping will help (but I dont like it to be dead silent), I am also planning to do it once I get some spare time.
Old 13th May 2014, 15:39   #3969
Senior - BHPian

Not in Duster yet but I am a long term synthetic oil user in Esteem and I think it does make a lot of difference. I understood it when I briefly went back to normal oil at 1.20 lakh km. The engine had become much more rough almost immediately. I changed back to synthetic and the difference was immediate and perceptible. My Esteem has done 1.28 lakh km and touchwood, it's smooth as silk. Of course, I have always been the only driver which also makes a difference perhaps.
Old 14th May 2014, 10:02   #3970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Is that really so? Thats kinda troubling.. I thought 10K intervals would be just fine with Synthetic Oil....
Old 14th May 2014, 10:22   #3971
Distinguished - BHPian

@BUXX, there is absolutely NO hard & fast rule that you must change mineral oil at 5k, or if synth oil is that useful in our driving conditions. There are separate discussions here on THBP (and outside too) about which oil to use. I suggest you read further and decide for yourself.

And please dont be alarmed or troubled .. I have been using mineral oil with typical 10-15k as the change interval (depending on which car), and have never faced any problems.
Old 14th May 2014, 10:30   #3972
Team-BHP Support

Engine oil at every 5K interval? I go by the Duster service manual, which I thought suggests every 10K. And I go with mineral oil. No synthetic.

Last edited by ampere : 14th May 2014 at 10:31.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 11:42   #3973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Engine oil at every 5K interval? I go by the Duster service manual, which I thought suggests every 10K.
Absolutely agree. Being overprotective about the car is often actually bad for it. Following the manual is the best policy. Many of our beliefs are rooted in our past experience when technology used to be relatively older. Things have improved a lot and oil change frequency for most cars has also reduced in tandem. Unless you drive only in stop and go traffic all the time there is no need to change the 10k frequency.

Incidentally I change my synthetic oil in the Esteem at 20k interval.
Old 14th May 2014, 11:45   #3974
BHPian

Quote:

Is that really so? Thats kinda troubling.. I thought 10K intervals would be just fine with Synthetic Oil....
I too know that synthetic oil of Elf standards can take 15k easily though changing it a 10k intervals seems best. My Duster runs on synthetic oil and feels butter smooth.
Old 14th May 2014, 11:50   #3975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Many of our beliefs are rooted in our past experience when technology used to be relatively older. Things have improved a lot and oil change frequency for most cars has also reduced in tandem.
Even truck oils in India are being touted for change intervals of 36000 km .. It's a different point that the this would be for highway driving, but am trying to reiterate Sudpito's point here that oils have improved and we dont have to look at early changes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks